Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Sounds like we are moving Boeser over Miller unless a god tier offer comes around

Which idm, if the team wants to compete in 2 years I would rather have Miller here

Miller fits a lot better than Boeser on JR’s fast team

if we’re 2 years away, how good will Miller be in 2-5 years from now because that will be our window opening period, how much will he cost on a new contract. I personally don’t see Miller as a good fit here given where we’re at, Miller is a great fit for a team contending today and for the next few years.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
if we’re 2 years away, how good will Miller be in 2-5 years from now because that will be our window opening period, how much will he cost on a new contract. I personally don’t see Miller as a good fit here given where we’re at, Miller is a great fit for a team contending today and for the next few years.
I see Boeser being worse in 2 years, he’s already not a good skater, one serious injury away from being washed up

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
According to the rumours teams are hungry for Miller but the Canucks are more keen to trade Boeser (and Garland?).
Im so intrigued about what will happen. Is JR and Alvin geniuses playing this so well and they do end up trading Miller for a fortune???

But knowing Canuck luck we will end up trading Motte and Schenn at the deadline lol

Reactions: bh53

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
A week or so ago I speculated that Andrei Kuzmenko's rise to stardom was because Nikita Gusev joined the team. While I haven't watched any games and do know there is a major affect to having a star join, the basic stats are much more interesting than I thought. I went through all of their game logs to figure this out.

First note is that Gusev didn't played any games until Oct 15th. Kuzmenko played 15 games to start the season without Gusev. During that time he had 3 goals and 13 assists (3-13=16 in 15 games). In the 30 games they played together, Kuzmenko had 17 goals and 20 assists (17-20=37 in 30 games). That's quite the goal scoring jump.

This is where things get interesting. Kuzmenko scored 4 goals assisted by Gusev and had 8 assists where they both joined in on the scored play or assisted on a Gusev goal (4-8=12 in 30 games). Every one of those 12 points was scored on the PP. At even strength Kuzmenko played with Joonas Kempainen and Anton Burdasov. Of Kuzmenko's 20 goals, 15 were even strength.

So my initial suspicion was off. Kuzmenko's numbers were inflated a bit by playing with Gusev on the PP but he was over a point per game without Gusev and has done the majority of his damage at EV without him.

Last edited:
Reactions: alternate and m9

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Why is it that they have to move both Boeser and Garland to keep Miller? I know they want to free up cap but moving Garland who’s on a solid value deal seems counterintuitive for a team trying to get the most bang out of their buck.

And trading away your best 5v5 producer seems dumb too

Oh well, I enjoyed Garland’s short stint here, fun player to watch

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't think the team feels they have to move Garland, rather the players teams are most interested in are the ones signed to good contracts and producing at a high rate. Miller and Garland are the most attractive pieces on the team. Boeser still has a bunch of value to many teams so he's a strong candidate to move as well. I'm skeptical Garland gets moved unless it's for some kind of great return.

For those wondering what the Avs have in their war chest.

Colorado Avalanche
Player NamePositionCap HitContract StatusTermsAgeStatusLevel2022 Draft PicksUnsigned Players
Tyson JostFW2.0m1 Year (RFA)N/A23ActiveNHL3rd, 5th, 6th, 7thNamePositionAgeLevel
Alex NewhookC0.908m1 Year (RFA)ELC21ActiveNHL Matthew StienburgC21College
Bowen ByramLD0.893m1 Year (RFA)ELC20LTIRNHL2023 Draft PicksDrew HellesonRD20College
Mikhail MaltsevLW0.809mRFAELC23ActiveAHL/NHL1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7thSean BehrensLD18College
Oskar OlaussonRW0.925m3 Year (RFA)ELC19ActiveJunior
Martin KautRW0.863m1 Year (RFA)ELC22ActiveAHL/NHL2024 Draft Picks
Justin BarronRD0.925m2 Year (RFA)ELC20ActiveAHL1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th
Needs
-penalty killers
-veteran defensive depth
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Lindgren

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Seems that way to me too. People keep saying “well everyone should be available for the right deal, especially outside of Hughes/Demko/EP”

Yet there’s way more smoke around Garland, Boeser compared to a guy like Horvat.

Clearly those 2 are players that management isn’t too attached too. Doesn’t mean they’ll be traded for garbage but it also means that they aren’t viewed as long-term fits here

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Sounds like we are moving Boeser over Miller unless a god tier offer comes around

Which idm, if the team wants to compete in 2 years I would rather have Miller here

Miller fits a lot better than Boeser on JR’s fast team

Miller is gone in two years. I truly think he does not want to re-sign here, and even if he would, the contract will be exorbitant - beyond the Landeskog contract for certain.

He's the team's most valuable trade chip. He should be the guy to move.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
The management team is worried about the message being sent to the players if they trade a big name… ? Really? The team has played themselves into this spot, we shouldn’t be worried about that at all but how to be a competitive team in the near future. This management group needs some balls, stop worrying about hurting players feelings because of their poor on ice performance is on them, even the coach is getting annoyed with the players poor starts. I’m actually a bit worried that this group is more worried about PR than about building a cup winning team.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
First off: Garland has drawn 40% more penalties than the next closest guy on this roster
---
Second: Garland still has about 20% more 5v5 point than the next closest guy on this roster
(we're bottom 5 in the league in the league in 5v5 scoring)

If you tell me a guy who is 25 and does that isn't in their long term plans

over the last 3 seasons he is top 10 in the league in penalties drawn with the likes of McDavid, the Tkachuks, Marchand, Mackinnon, Pastrnak etc

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
First off: Garland has drawn 40% more penalties than the next closest guy on this roster
---
Second: Garland still has about 20% more 5v5 point than the next closest guy on this roster
(we're bottom 5 in the league in the league in 5v5 scoring)

If you tell me a guy who is 25 and does that isn't in their long term plans

over the last 3 seasons he is top 10 in the league in penalties drawn with the likes of McDavid, the Tkachuks, Marchand, Mackinnon, Pastrnak etc
If they don’t get something pretty damn good in return I’m gonna laugh

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I think the Canucks are making a mistake moving Garland right now, let’s remember we gave up the 9th overall for him, if he’s moved it better be a better return than that because we also took on OEL contract.

It blows my mind they’re looking at moving Garland and keeping Miller… Miller is the better player and a rare player but no need holding onto him during a 2+ year retool when he’ll be in his 30’s on a retirement contract when we’re gearing up to compete. This is really a lack of foresight, seeing who Miller is today and thinking he’ll still have that same impact in 3-5 years from now. This is really concerning of this management group, hopefully they do the right things and not more of the same that we’re used to seeing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad