Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Like seriously, I'd kill for a swap of minor league journeyman or something.

Just gotta keep being patient. I definitely want a change as well, but I want it to be well thought-out and every option to be explored. Most of my impatience comes from something that happened before this new group. Clean slate. I just want to watch a Canucks team that is a threat.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
That's about what I see as well. Motte is the main trade piece right now and Boeser is the second most likely candidate. If they can get extremely creative, yeah they could ship out Ferland (he has a 10 team NTC...f***ing Benning) to a team looking to make a bigger move. Concern with that is it will have to happen before another trade takes place so if that were to happen, it would be coming rather soon.

Edit: On the trading LTIR space front, Sutter is probably the actual valuable piece since he's a UFA at the end of the season and has no trade protection.
Just a chance to take a shot at Benning? How does Ferlands NTC effect him being dealt? Is he going to block a trade from retirement ?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Yup. The GM search and the AGM announcements were fun lol but since that it's just been a mediocre hockey team being mediocre.

Agreed that it's probably a good thing that Rutherford isn't displaying impatience and tweaking the edges of the roster just to make the team slightly better in the short term. At the same time, waiving a zero-upside guy like Chiasson and bringing in a slightly better forward might add a couple spots in the standings and make the first rounder 1-2 spots lower (at best), but the upside is they could find another Motte/Highmore type and trade those two for a real return.
This how I see it. JR knows the team sucks and he is biding his time to get rid of floaters like Brock. Absolutely no urgency at the moment.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Just a chance to take a shot at Benning? How does Ferlands NTC effect him being dealt? Is he going to block a trade from retirement ?

Do I really need to explain why it was a bad idea have given an injured declining player term and a NTC? It was stupid the moment it was signed.

And, yes. I'm going to take a shot at that f***-up every chance I get. Especially for all the incredibly stupid NTCs he's given out. There was all this moaning about how hard it was to trade the 2011 guys because of their NTCs but it was never actually a problem but Benning goes and gives NTC or NMC to almost every player.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I've heard some good things about Sevigny but have never watched him play.

Staios and Hanus are both undersized skill LHD who would be kinda silly to sign in an organization that already had tons of depth in that role. Worth noting though that Staios has a connection to the organization (besides his dad being an ex-Canuck) as he signed a PTO with Utica when the OHL was shut down last year.

Thanks! Had no idea Utica signed Staios to a PTO.

Just stat watching but Connor Horning, right in our own backyard has some size and is 2nd in D-scoring on the team.

Feist is team captain on the Rockets

Reactions: Lindgren

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Is anyone else just really f***ing bored right now? Like, I don't think I've ever been so bored as a Canuck fan during a season.

As horrific as Benning was, it was never boring and was constantly a fascinating trainwreck.

This is just ... tedium. The team is boring. The players are boring. We have literally the exact same roster in March that we had on opening day. Nothing is happening. For the 6th time in 7 years the entire discussion is the same 'sell at the deadline or chase a 10% chance at the last playoff spot?' being argued by the same people. All the discussion here is about theoretical nonsense trades, not anything that is actually happening.

I mean, I get being patient. But being patient isn't very interesting.

All we can hope is that the new management group is doing a very deep, thorough assessment from top to bottom and is laying the groundwork for at least a move or two at the deadline. But now that it seems like we won't be trading an asset at it's absolute zenith in Miller, I'm much less interested as I've always wanted to receive a package that was downright painful for the other team to give up.

We're in a classic Canucks situation where they are treading water as a playoff hail-mary when in reality they are toast, and there's still this lingering sense amongst the casual fanbase that they can absolutely make the playoffs, that this Bruce-coached team is the real team (that would surely have kept up 100+ point pace), that the roster is actually good, or that we need to keep this group together and give them a chance (to...at best be a bubble team at their peak?).

It's super strange watching things unfold this way and I agree with many others that Rutherford/Allvin are probably hoping for a string of losses to help justify their plans.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Do I really need to explain why it was a bad idea have given an injured declining player term and a NTC? It was stupid the moment it was signed.

And, yes. I'm going to take a shot at that f***-up every chance I get. Especially for all the incredibly stupid NTCs he's given out. There was all this moaning about how hard it was to trade the 2011 guys because of their NTCs but it was never actually a problem but Benning goes and gives NTC or NMC to almost every player.
You are now talking about two different things here. No one is defending the signing. But you were talking about his NTC effecting the team moving him. That’s bs. It’s seems like you really just want to rant about all of the past NTCs not about Ferlands contract. Giver

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
You are now talking about two different things here. No one is defending the signing. But you were talking about his NTC effecting the team moving him. That’s bs. It’s seems like you really just want to rant about all of the past NTCs not about Ferlands contract. Giver

I don't think that the NTC will have much of an impact. I also don't think Ferland will be moved. You asked a question about me taking a shot at Benning and I answered.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Just gotta keep being patient. I definitely want a change as well, but I want it to be well thought-out and every option to be explored. Most of my impatience comes from something that happened before this new group. Clean slate. I just want to watch a Canucks team that is a threat.

I mean I don't actually have a choice but to be patient. I have no control over anything that happens. But I can remark on how mind-numbingly dull it's been.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I don't think that the NTC will have much of an impact. I also don't think Ferland will be moved. You asked a question about me taking a shot at Benning and I answered.
Ok fair enough. The NTC will have zero impact on whether or not he will be moved. The fact the contract is t insured certainly will

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Let’s be serious here… ferland would waive his NTC as he’s never playing again… it’s like seabrook/ pronger situation.

The benefit of moving him is to free up LTIR to create more space for halak’s bonus, so it doesn’t carry over to next year.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Ok fair enough. The NTC will have zero impact on whether or not he will be moved. The fact the contract is t insured certainly will

Oh definitely. The NTC might have a tiny say I can see a scenario where his contract is traded to TB to further increase their bonus pool but he's uninterested in making a yearly trip or something. Even then that's an edge case and the real money involved is the far greater barrier. That's also why I felt Sutter's contract might actually be valuable. It's a small amount but could make a big difference for someone like TB or Vegas looking to add a slightly better depth defender.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I mean, if we're being serious, Ferland's contract has almost no chance of getting traded.
We will find out… have heard rumblings that teams that need cap space and/or need to hit basement could benefit from this. We could benefit from the clearing up space for halak’s bonus.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
We will find out… have heard rumblings that teams that need cap space and/or need to hit basement could benefit from this. We could benefit from the clearing up space for halak’s bonus.

Aye but that's most likely, like seemingly every contract on this team, to occur in the offseason. Sutter's expiring contract is easier to absorb now. It'd be a clever bit of work to turn Ferland's contract into any sort of asset, however.

Edit: Looking at other trades of this nature, we could expect a very small return.

Blackhawks:
Tyler Johnson
2nd

Lightning:
Brent Seabrook

Flyers:
Gagner
4th

Coyotes:
Grossman
Pronger

Maple Leafs:
Clarkson
4th

Golden Knights:
Sparks

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Aye but that's most likely, like seemingly every contract on this team, to occur in the offseason. Sutter's expiring contract is easier to absorb now. It'd be a clever bit of work to turn Ferland's contract into any sort of asset, however.
It would be an offseason move likely… and don’t see any asset out of it really. Just be nice to absorb halak’s bonus this year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Isn’t ferlands contract uninsured meaning the team has to pay the $3.5 mill or whatever he is due to make this year and next?

guys like Andrew Shaw are on ltir and his deal expires this season if teams are looking at ltir contracts.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
I was promised lots of things happening with the team with a completely new management team.

Basically nothing has happened.

I don't know if I expect anything to happen either, which is as much or even more depressing.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I was promised lots of things happening with the team with a completely new management team.

Basically nothing has happened.

I don't know if I expect anything to happen either, which is as much or even more depressing.
I'm not expecting a Miller/Boeser/Horvat move at the deadline. I do expect one trade like Motte/Pearson/Poolman.

It'd be great to wake up to a huge Boeser trade though

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Isn’t ferlands contract uninsured meaning the team has to pay the $3.5 mill or whatever he is due to make this year and next?

guys like Andrew Shaw are on ltir and his deal expires this season if teams are looking at ltir contracts.
Not sure, maybe I am misunderstanding… assumed you can move the contract? Ala seabrook, pronger, Ladd etc. eg islanders traded Ladd to Arizona for nothing, he was on LTIR and it helped coyotes get to cap floor.

Like he still gets paid (if that’s what you mean by insured) just moving his contract.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Nobody is taking Ferland............full stop.

For one if we cant accrue Bonus cushion how the hell would someone else and 2 he's still getting paid. It was uninsured.

The only thing a LTIR contract does is allow teams that operate at the max to accrue some cushion throughout the season based on the structure of the LTIRd contract. If it's heavily bonus laden then that allows for Bonus cushion which can be valuable to a team that is maxed out and needs the relief and can manipulate that. Ferlands is not Bonus laden and is uninsured it's as unmovable as it gets

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If they were literally trying to just hold their odds at 10% they couldn't be doing a better job. It's actually ridiculous. Doing just exactly enough to hang ever-so-slightly around.

And yeah, if they had dumped Chiasson and Hunt and brought up Rathbone and Lockwood (and Halak for Martin) at least we'd have something to discuss in terms of two new young players getting minutes. But they've just left the roster exactly as is and pointless old guys who won't be here next year just keep playing.

And of course, we also have the worst prospect pool in franchise history and there's nothing to follow there either, and little of interest in Abbotsford.

Reactions: MS and DonnyNucker

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not sure, maybe I am misunderstanding… assumed you can move the contract? Ala seabrook, pronger, Ladd etc. eg islanders traded Ladd to Arizona for nothing, he was on LTIR and it helped coyotes get to cap floor.

Like he still gets paid (if that’s what you mean by insured) just moving his contract.
But when a contract is insured like Hossa/Bolland was the coyotes paid like 20% of the annual compensation. So they were only on the hook for like $200k on Hossa and $1 mill in Bolland.

what teams want to be on the hook for $3.5 mill next year for Ferland in real money vs $700k if it was insured. That’s $2.8 mill in real cash. Assuming he makes his AAV.

if he’s actually insured then he could get moved but there are other players in the same position whose deals expire this season like Shaw.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

NHL contracts are insured against injury so if the player is injured, they receive their salary but the team doesn't actually pay the money out of their pocket. Ferland's contract, if it is uninsured, actually requires real money. That's why the other contracts are valuable, teams increase their LTIR space but don't actually have to pay any salary to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad