Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
All the right names mentioned by Rutherford. "Demko, Hughes, Pettersson" as the building blocks as the franchise. Leaving Miller, Boeser, Horvat, Garland, Motte or Myers available as potential trade bait that could garner some serious future assets.

Exciting times ahead.
I know JR has mentioned Demko and Hughes in a way that makes you think that they’re untouchable but has he mentioned Pettersson in the same way? Not that I suggest trading him right now but just curious.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
might be a good time to trade Podkolzin
upload_2022-3-1_22-52-54.jpeg

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think there's a tangible difference between giving Motte a "large" contract as a bottom 6 player and the overpriced bottom 6 contracts this franchise has gone through like Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson, etc. Those were all bloated contracts handed out to already older players who signed here as UFAs. Motte has already played here through most of his youth the past 4 years, you know what you're getting with him. He's a heart and soul guy and is widely regarded by fans and insiders alike as one of the best "bottom 6" players out there.

I am not saying we should be paying Motte over 3M or something, but he should be given a brevity of wiggle room to get a deal done, if the Canucks truly want to rebuild the team's culture, you have to think that Motte has to be a guy you keep around to build that culture around, he's the fast, hard-working, heart and soul guy you tell players to emulate.

Worst case scenario his injuries catch up with him and he retires on LTIR and his cap hit is erased, which is better than having a dead weight like Eriksson or Roussel keep playing.
There is seriously no point keeping Motte when this team plans to do a retool. The Canucks need to capitalize on depth players values when they are at their highest.

I don’t get the obsession with holding onto depth players. They come and go. While Motte is good, he can be replaced and he will be. His value will never be higher, the smart thing to do would be sell high.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Right? He has been so bad the last 2 starts. It’s a liability now. Demko needs a break and if you can’t even adequately finish a game then what’s your purpose?!

riding the pine and practising. while watching demko play the rest of the year. call up spencer. at least see audition for a backup role next year.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
There is seriously no point keeping Motte when this team plans to do a retool. The Canucks need to capitalize on depth players values when they are at their highest.

I don’t get the obsession with holding onto depth players. They come and go. While Motte is good, he can be replaced and he will be. His value will never be higher, the smart thing to do would be sell high.

Canucks should sell Motte if the plan is to rebuild. If it's to do a quick retool, like in the 2-3 years like Rutherford claimed, then they should try to keep him. San Jose and New Jersey both sold Goodrow and Coleman 2 years ago and are no closer to making playoffs with their returns. If the return for Motte is draft picks or unready prospects then it doesn't help the retool if the window is in 2 or so years.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Players like motte are easy to replace, you guys are just in love with him cause he’s the first quality 4th liner we’ve had, too used to beagles and co
Yeah I think your right. I was wanting to hold onto him as a good wild energy ball, but yeah we are use to Beagles and Dowling Etc

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Jason Dickinson is such a negative value asset that I can't see any team taking him unless we pay. Not just his play but is now injured.

The big caveat is that there's always someone in the NHL willing to make a dumb move for a guy they believe in. Maybe someone out there believes in Dickinson and is willing to trade some positive value for him.

Edit:
-Checks Dickinson's junior history
-Scott Walker was his head coach and Todd Harvey was his assistant coach
-realizes WE are that team

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Any potential gems here to take a chance on?

I've heard some good things about Sevigny but have never watched him play.

Staios and Hanus are both undersized skill LHD who would be kinda silly to sign in an organization that already had tons of depth in that role. Worth noting though that Staios has a connection to the organization (besides his dad being an ex-Canuck) as he signed a PTO with Utica when the OHL was shut down last year.

Reactions: supercanuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Is anyone else just really f***ing bored right now? Like, I don't think I've ever been so bored as a Canuck fan during a season.

As horrific as Benning was, it was never boring and was constantly a fascinating trainwreck.

This is just ... tedium. The team is boring. The players are boring. We have literally the exact same roster in March that we had on opening day. Nothing is happening. For the 6th time in 7 years the entire discussion is the same 'sell at the deadline or chase a 10% chance at the last playoff spot?' being argued by the same people. All the discussion here is about theoretical nonsense trades, not anything that is actually happening.

I mean, I get being patient. But being patient isn't very interesting.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I’ve been pretty detached from this team for 5-6 years now. Wins and losses don’t matter to me at this point. Why should they? Team is going nowhere…and that’s the problem. Either tank or compete. They’re doing neither.

How this new management hasn’t come in, made a handful of roster moves and at least waived some players and called up some others is a bit mind boggling to me. It’s just the same roster over and over with new lines of that same roster over and over.

Do. Anything.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Is anyone else just really f***ing bored right now? Like, I don't think I've ever been so bored as a Canuck fan during a season.

As horrific as Benning was, it was never boring and was constantly a fascinating trainwreck.

This is just ... tedium. The team is boring. The players are boring. We have literally the exact same roster in March that we had on opening day. Nothing is happening. For the 6th time in 7 years the entire discussion is the same 'sell at the deadline or chase a 10% chance at the last playoff spot?' being argued by the same people. All the discussion here is about theoretical nonsense trades, not anything that is actually happening.

Oh man, right here. I haven't watched very many games over the last month because I just find it almost impossible to care.

I'm dying of boredom waiting for the new regime to do literally anything. The fact that they didn't even do something simple like shoot Alex Chiasson into the sun is so disappointing to me.

We are arguing about a dumb $1M bonus to Jaro Halak for weeks because there is nothing else to talk about. And now even that is a moot point. And every time I think the team is done and maybe we can start selling, they randomly win 3 games in a row.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Oh man, right here. I haven't watched very many games over the last month because I just find it almost impossible to care.

I'm dying of boredom waiting for the new regime to do literally anything. The fact that they didn't even do something simple like shoot Alex Chiasson into the sun is so disappointing to me.

We are arguing about a dumb $1M bonus to Jaro Halak for weeks because there is nothing else to talk about. And now even that is a moot point. And every time I think the team is done and maybe we can start selling, they randomly win 3 games in a row.

Jasek and Utunen are back in action today with the Pelicans! Those prospects!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

NHL salary cap. Too many teams are near the ceiling. Too tight to make moves.

we’ve had how many trades in Toto all since the season began? Eichel, Toffoli, Ritchie, and a couple of very minor ones. That’s it.

Reactions: racerjoe

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

If they were literally trying to just hold their odds at 10% they couldn't be doing a better job. It's actually ridiculous. Doing just exactly enough to hang ever-so-slightly around.

And yeah, if they had dumped Chiasson and Hunt and brought up Rathbone and Lockwood (and Halak for Martin) at least we'd have something to discuss in terms of two new young players getting minutes. But they've just left the roster exactly as is and pointless old guys who won't be here next year just keep playing.

And of course, we also have the worst prospect pool in franchise history and there's nothing to follow there either, and little of interest in Abbotsford.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm just tired of cheering for this team to lose to push change. Did it long enough under previous management. I've enjoyed parts of these last few months - particularly the play of Demko & and seeing EP get back to what he was - but this "win 1 or 2 games, lose 1 game" treading water the last few weeks which has done nothing but delay the inevitable isn't enjoyable or interesting.

I'm also generally impatient and hate transition periods, so that part is on me.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
NHL salary cap. Too many teams are near the ceiling. Too tight to make moves.

we’ve had how many trades in Toto all since the season began? Eichel, Toffoli, Ritchie, and a couple of very minor ones. That’s it.

I'm fine we haven't made any huge moves yet. Like I said, I get patience.

But this is tedium. As I said just above, even if we'd jettisoned Chiasson and claimed some other guy off waivers that would at least be something mildly interesting to talk about and follow.

We literally have exactly the same 23 players on the roster as on October 1, except for Dowling going back to Abbotsford because of guys coming off IR.

Reactions: Vector

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Someone said boring.

There's literally zero prospects down in the farm and the other leagues worth keeping tabs on.

The WJC barely had any Canucks.

Team is .500 headed towards another year of missing the playoffs while the Oilers, Flames and Leafs get to watch their team in the post-season.

There's zero games of interest down the stretch. No rivalries, no potential prospect debut, no meaningful games.

The only thing that could remotely perk my interest would be the inevitable sale of the players which would mark the start of a rebuild.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

No because I had complete apathy (with bouts of anger) for 6 years or so and understand that if anything is going to happen, it will be a little bit closer to the deadline. If no trades are made? Then I'll be bored and probably check out until the offseason.

Right now, to me, it's like a submarine movie. Just a whole lot of waiting for something to happen. Hopefully, like a submarine movie, something actually happens.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I think the mgmt group now wants to make changes.

Problem is, everyone else knows they do, they shit position they are in cap wise and so the offers are probably garbage.

So the question is: “who budges?”

Nucks mgmt likely hopes someone caved before the TDL. But there is no guarantees that happens.

Then you get to an offseason where you are essentially in the same boat. But hopefully by then, some teams have missed the playoffs or lost in the 1st round, and need major changes.

Philly comes to mind. Maybe Toronto depending on the playoffs.

So as of now, I don’t expect anything to happen. Least for awhile.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Hunt and Chiasson still playing is insane to me, however. Neither help the team win. Rathbone being injured makes the decision a bit easier but you would hope that both veterans are either off the team or in the press box after the trade deadline.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I think we are all just ready for some player change or trade. Feels like months Of accessing our roster. So much chatter on how we are not good enough/fast enough/ deep enough… and still same group. At this point we’d take even a minor trade!

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I think we are all just ready for some player change or trade.

I love the trade deadline and the first day of free agency. It's fun! This is the first real year where the Canucks could have a fire sale so there's actual anticipation. The big shame is I doubt that happens and I'm just hoping on a couple of trades. If there aren't at least a few guys gone in a couple of weeks, I'll be very disappointed. Not because management chose to wait until the offseason but because of all the allusions to big changes needing to happen. They can be patient. I can be patient too and wait until next season to watch games regularly.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad