Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Cannot believe after what we went through with Benning, we're staring at another 5+ year rebuild of this roster again. There is no re-tooling here. All the guys worth keeping are gonna jet out of here posthaste when they hit FA.

I firmly believe that under the current CBA, any roster can be turned into a contender within 3 seasons. I really do, staunchly believe this.

It just takes good management and some luck.

Two things we have basically never had at the same time.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I firmly believe that under the current CBA, any roster can be turned into a contender within 3 seasons. I really do, staunchly believe this.

I don't agree with "any roster", I mean at the end of the day you're constrained by the salary cap and the market. I do agree shrewd management should be finding ways to make the team better season-by-season, but realistically how many contenders are there in the league in any given year? I would add, I think this was a lot more true in the pre-cap era.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

Luck. A fickle lady. Thought we had it when EP dropped in our laps. Maybe she is still with us there, or maybe she is playing with our hearts, as she has from the beginning when we got the second pick in our inaugural draft. Bure was a fair bit of luck, a cheeky kiss from the lady. But how many times has she betrayed us? Otto’s kick; the Gretzky almost-trade; Game 7 post; refs putting whistles away and allowing speed bag punches to the face; Duncan frickin Keith; Jim the Generous Benning. We’ve had our fair share of bad luck, lady.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Agree with this. Also, any roster can be turned into a playoff team within 2.

What Vegas and Florida have been able to do has really changed how I view this sport.

Edit - An exception might be San Jose. At a certain point you can have too much dead money on the cap.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Yes, that’s interesting… if miller wants to stay and resign then trading horvat could be an option. He’d also fetch quite a bit. But do agree it’s one or the other (miller or horvat).

Wouldn’t be shocked if Boeser gets moved either. He doesn’t play a quick game and his pending QO puts him outside of a reasonable contract.

That is a big if though to expect an eastern American to sign at any reasonable rate in western Canada in a city with high taxes, and a team that will miss the playoffs the last 2 of 3 years of his contract. Maybe if things go well next year then Miller will stay. At that point though I don't see why he wouldn't test the market. If teams pay a sufficient price at the deadline or the summer, then Miller should 100% be traded.

I would keep Horvat for now, but I wouldn't resign him unless he bounces back between now and his contract expires. Assuming he takes a team friendly deal. Honestly I wouldn't be opposed to trading all of Horvat, Miller and Boeser. I had the the opinion that you have to keep Horvat if you trade Miller, but Horvat's on ice play looks very replaceable right now.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
I think I'm officially onboard team trade Horvat... feel like we need a different vibe with our captain. He's too inconsistent.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I wonder if Buffalo, Detroit and Columbus could be poking around at Boeser. They both have the Cap room and definitely have the prospect pools to make the move.

Buffalo Specfically I think will be moving some of their draft picks/prospects to help fill out their NHL roster as a lot of their prospects are getting close to seeing NHL games and becoming regulars.

Detroit has a lot of good pieces but could really use another top 6 winger to go along with Raymond, and Bertuzzi to help them take the next step.

Columbus has a lot of prospects who are 1-2 years away from being in the NHL and definitely has the depth to make the trade. I would think that they are going to start building around Werenski, Jenner, Boqvist and Laine and filling in some of the holes to move forward

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Agree with this. Also, any roster can be turned into a playoff team within 2.

What Vegas and Florida have been able to do has really changed how I view this sport.

Edit - An exception might be San Jose. At a certain point you can have too much dead money on the cap.

And Colorado executed a near-perfect tank -> contender in 3 years while we were doing whatever Benning was doing. Their 48 point season was in 2017 and they were a top team by 2020. All the while we were sitting on our thumbs durrr maybe Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel will get us back to the playoffs next year. They had a bunch of money tied up in guys like Soderberg and Beauchemin. Matt Duchene was pretty much their Horvat. They didn't miss the playoffs again after taking a 1-year hit in 2017.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Now is the time for a complete rebuild.

Trade for sure:
Miller
Horvat
Pearson
Boeser
Motte
Halak ( if he waives)
Myers
Hamonic

If a team is willing to overpay for Garland do it if not keep him. If a team is willing to take OEL if the Canucks add a reasonable addition with him do it.

If the team doesn't do a complete rebuild, I am going to be pissed.

I've been saying for a few years now that IF they decide to rebuild, these next two years are key. If you can tank and get the top 1-2 guys in the next two drafts, you can build a team with Wright/Savoie/Cooley/Bedard/Michkov.

The 2023 Draft is so stacked that if you can get 3 picks in the 1st round, you have a murders' row of elite talent. I've been dreaming of a team stacked with Yager, Danielson or Wood.

But that's extreme, and I get that Aqua won't go for it. Permanent mediocrity is where they're headed but I'm hopeful that the new management thinks differently.

Reactions: Flik and canucksfan

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I think I'm officially onboard team trade Horvat... feel like we need a different vibe with our captain. He's too inconsistent.

its not just Horvat it’s the entire team. We’re soft, weak, slow, lack defensive play, no forecheck, no grit, no toughness it’s not just one or two players, the entire make up needs to be overhauled. Although I’m in favour of trading Horvat and Miller, I also think their our best players and the type we need more of. Like it or not if we really want to compete for a cup we need a rebuild, this Bennings made team is horrible. I have 2 untouchables Demko and Hughes, I really like Hoglander, Pods and Garland as well. Schenn is worth holding onto because we need what he brings.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
I wonder if Buffalo, Detroit and Columbus could be poking around at Boeser. They both have the Cap room and definitely have the prospect pools to make the move.

Buffalo Specfically I think will be moving some of their draft picks/prospects to help fill out their NHL roster as a lot of their prospects are getting close to seeing NHL games and becoming regulars.

Detroit has a lot of good pieces but could really use another top 6 winger to go along with Raymond, and Bertuzzi to help them take the next step.

Columbus has a lot of prospects who are 1-2 years away from being in the NHL and definitely has the depth to make the trade. I would think that they are going to start building around Werenski, Jenner, Boqvist and Laine and filling in some of the holes to move forward

Yeah I thought Buffalo could be a decent trade partner for sure as they will want to show that they want to turn the corner & be competitive but I could see them being worried about Boesers next contract since they have Skinner & Okposo as expensive wingers.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
its not just Horvat it’s the entire team. We’re soft, weak, slow, lack defensive play, no forecheck, no grit, no toughness it’s not just one or two players, the entire make up needs to be overhauled. Although I’m in favour of trading Horvat and Miller, I also think their our best players and the type we need more of. Like it or not if we really want to compete for a cup we need a rebuild, this Bennings made team is horrible. I have 2 untouchables Demko and Hughes, I really like Hoglander, Pods and Garland as well. Schenn is worth holding onto because we need what he brings.

I agree.

Time to roll the dice, trade some "big" names and stock pile prospects and picks. Something just seems off about this group. It needs a massive overhaul and doing this will give us a completely new identity.

Reactions: Flik

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I agree.

Time to roll the dice, trade some "big" names and stock pile prospects and picks. Something just seems off about this group. It needs a massive overhaul and doing this will give us a completely new identity.

Off topic but does anyone actually like the Orca logo. Personally I hate it, it looks so corp and really isnt that appealing on a jersey

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think it's so funny how rarely anyone mentions Patrik Allvin in these discussions. I can't think of another pro sports team where the AGMs unquestionably get more attention than the GM. :laugh:
Toronto Raptors

Masai Ujiri gets mentioned way more than GM Bobby Webster.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Team needs a new players voice, Horvat has always been a pretty suspect leader.
Ill give him playoffs tho, He always shows up, But something is off with him during the regular season..

I say move him, or strip his captaincy next year

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I don't agree with "any roster", I mean at the end of the day you're constrained by the salary cap and the market. I do agree shrewd management should be finding ways to make the team better season-by-season, but realistically how many contenders are there in the league in any given year? I would add, I think this was a lot more true in the pre-cap era.

Nah. There's no Detroit who can just sign 9 HHOFers anymore. Bad contracts are way easier to get out of now, either from buyouts or dumping on cap-floor teams. And there are a million restrictions now limiting just how bad a contract can be. No longer than 7 years, etc.

Like as bad as things are - and they are bad - things can be turned around pretty quickly if we can just suck it up and absorb one bad season. No chasing UFA's this off-season, no more trading of picks except maybe to dump salary. You deal Miller for a huge haul, deal Boeser and Horvat, and we have plenty of cap space in 2023-24. Two high draft picks in the 2022 and 2023 drafts to replace Boeser and Horvat and start the new core, hopefully Petey turns things around.

We just have to suck it up for one more year. Something that Benning could never, never do. And arguably something that Aquilini was never willing to do. That will be the most interesting part.

Reactions: TruGr1t and Flik

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
I have thought the same,,he makes a great A on this team,,not worthy of a C,,was one game where Podz got leveled ,bad hit and Horvat was on the ice and did not stick up for his team mate,,he has no intencaty that is frequent in a Captain,,should show more emotion on the ice and bench to get his team pumped...just don't see it..

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
And Colorado executed a near-perfect tank -> contender in 3 years while we were doing whatever Benning was doing. Their 48 point season was in 2017 and they were a top team by 2020. All the while we were sitting on our thumbs durrr maybe Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel will get us back to the playoffs next year. They had a bunch of money tied up in guys like Soderberg and Beauchemin. Matt Duchene was pretty much their Horvat. They didn't miss the playoffs again after taking a 1-year hit in 2017.

A Colorado-like retool would be ideal, but unfortunately we lack a star center such as Nathan MacKinnon and Colorado was able to draft a 100 point forward in Mikko Rantanen at 10th overall, not sure we'll be so lucky.

That said, there's good pieces here and with the right trades, getting good future value out of Horvat, Miller and Boeser, and things could turn around quickly.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
A Colorado-like retool would be ideal, but unfortunately we lack a star center such as Nathan MacKinnon and Colorado was able to draft a 100 point forward in Mikko Rantanen at 10th overall, not sure we'll be so lucky.

That can't be right. Everyone keeps telling me that Pettersson = MacKinnon.

But yes, a bit of luck is required. We can increase our chances by hanging onto our draft picks.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

I think so to.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I would do what I call a expansion draft rebuild…

basically you trade your top players to good teams eg Horvat, Miller Boeser, for players that are of expansion draft level and picks, high picks then you trade your blotted contacts to traditional tanking teams with cap space Myers OEL Poolman and add on the picks you got for the other guys…

I think it’s possible to be a playoff team next season doing this without giving up your future…

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I think fans are waiting for the scorched earth tear down of the team.
I think they look forward to sensible and planned out cap control.
I think they know there is no "I" in team, meaning all players can be traded.
Anaheim, LA have kicked their butts in a rebuild/retool.
Canucks are trending to a 25th place finish, if the team is lucky and makes big deals now, maybe 27th with effort.

SOOOOoooo many years of Benning far too many IMHO.

JR & etal have the golden opportunity, the same one Linden/Benning had, to do anything in their first year. Do all the bad, sad, necessary for the good of the franchise stuff right off the bat. Fans here know what if takes, that is why most were so disgusted with Benning approach or opinion of the fans, MUSHROOMS TO BE KEPT IN THE DARK AND COVERED IN SHAT.

Lemmings to be told what to think through the media.
ALL those fans that kept saying "He knows more than anyone else because he ...."

Like a spring that is wound up too tight, when it goes, it should all go.
Start from scratch and in 2 years the team is better than this Benning farce has been over 7 years.

Reactions: Flik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad