Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Halak is currently well within his rights not to be traded by the Canucks..You would think Vegas would be an attractive landing spot for a goalie at the end of his career..?..He might waive to go to a SC contender.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Halak is currently well within his rights not to be traded by the Canucks..You would think Vegas would be an attractive landing spot for a goalie at the end of his career..?..He might waive to go to a SC contender.

I believe Woodley was the one who said his family was settled here and that is the principle reason he does not wish to move. Hard to argue with that, especially for a guy who is in the winter of his career.

But if that's also the case, I'd just call up Martin and let him play as backup the rest of the way. Put Halak on the taxi squad. Or keep him on the roster.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I believe Woodley was the one who said his family was settled here and that is the principle reason he does not wish to move. Hard to argue with that, especially for a guy who is in the winter of his career.

But if that's also the case, I'd just call up Martin and let him play as backup the rest of the way. Put Halak on the taxi squad. Or keep him on the roster.
Halak has a nmc so he’s not going on the taxi squad. He has to remain in the 23 man roster.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

I guess everyone is different and have different values...but I'm not sure why he wouldn't take off for a couple months in order to try and win a cup with a contending team? Isn't that the ultimate goal in pro-hockey? Plus, it's not like he's going to be back here next year so unless he's retiring after this year and staying to live in Vancouver, he'll likely have to move again anyhow.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

There’s no taxi squads any more. Even if there were Halak’s NMC prevents him from being put on it.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
If Halak is unwilling to waive his no trade clause I'd just call up Martin everytime Demko needs a break and see if Martin is worth keeping around past this season. Halak serves no purpose to this team at this point so why waste cap space if there's no benefit?
You know one benefit? The current management team having a reputation of dealing fairly with players and not trying to screw them out of a bonus that was negotiated in good faith. How many agents do you think will go out of their way to have their clients sign in Vancouver if Allvin gets a rep for screwing over players?

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
You know one benefit? The current management team having a reputation of dealing fairly with players and not trying to screw them out of a bonus that was negotiated in good faith. How many agents do you think will go out of their way to have their clients sign in Vancouver if Allvin gets a rep for screwing over players?
There’s a middle ground to be had. He waives and he gets his bonus, which is just that, a bonus. The best that the Canucks can do would be to make a good faith effort to place him in his desired location and possibly pick up part of the bonus provided the trade return warrants the cap hit next year. Otherwise, yeah, Jaro can go pound sand.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
There’s a middle ground to be had. He waives and he gets his bonus, which is just that, a bonus. The best that the Canucks can do would be to make a good faith effort to place him in his desired location and possibly pick up part of the bonus provided the trade return warrants the cap hit next year. Otherwise, yeah, Jaro can go pound sand.
I love how much hate players get for refusing to waive a NMC/NTC that they negotiated for in good faith. Every time fans think a player should be moved for whatever reason and they won’t waive e there’s a storm of “screw that guy, bench him, threaten to send him to the minors”. I feel like actual GM’s recognize they’re dealing with real people and maintaining a good reputation with players and agents is an important aspect of their job

Reactions: CanuckCity and E D

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Didn't they get rid of the Taxi squad?

Was brought back on Dec. 26th.

Regardless isn't eligible to be placed on the taxi squad.

i) All Players who are a) on an NHL Active Roster, Injured Reserve or designated NonRoster as of December 22, 2021 (other than by virtue of an Emergency Recall) and b) are exempt from Regular Season Waivers and c) who have been on an NHL roster (including the Injured Reserve List and COVID-19 Protocol) for 75 percent or more of the days of the Regular Season up to and including Wednesday, December 22, 2021 (i.e., has been on an NHL roster for 54 days or more between October 12, 2021 and December 22, 2021); and

ii) All Players who are a) on an NHL Active Roster, Injured Reserve or designated NonRoster as of December 22, 2021 (other than by virtue of an Emergency Recall) and b) are exempt from Regular Season Waivers and c) who participated in 16 of their Club’s last 20 games played up to Wednesday, December 22, 2021. For clarity, for purposes of this provision, a goaltender who dresses for a game shall be deemed to have participated in such game.​

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Halak : “i definitely don’t want to be traded”

HFBoards : “So, Halak to Vegas would be neat!” (Three pages of discussions”

Halak has made it clear he’s not going anywhere.

Rumors: Halak doesn't want to be traded
Other Rumors: Canucks haven't approached him yet
Other Other Rumors: Canucks might try and convince him
HFBoards Rumour Thread: Here's a fun rumour

He hasn't made anything clear since as it's all been played out via local media.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I love how much hate players get for refusing to waive a NMC/NTC that they negotiated for in good faith. Every time fans think a player should be moved for whatever reason and they won’t waive e there’s a storm of “screw that guy, bench him, threaten to send him to the minors”. I feel like actual GM’s recognize they’re dealing with real people and maintaining a good reputation with players and agents is an important aspect of their job
Strawman? Nobody is hating Halak for waiving. We are just suggesting that we play Martin as the backup even if he refuses to waive because there he is not part of the future. We really can't send him to the minors so it will really just be the pressbox. Like is being sent to the pressbox such a bad thing? He will earn money by doing nothing.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Was brought back on Dec. 26th.

Regardless isn't eligible to be placed on the taxi squad.

i) All Players who are a) on an NHL Active Roster, Injured Reserve or designated NonRoster as of December 22, 2021 (other than by virtue of an Emergency Recall) and b) are exempt from Regular Season Waivers and c) who have been on an NHL roster (including the Injured Reserve List and COVID-19 Protocol) for 75 percent or more of the days of the Regular Season up to and including Wednesday, December 22, 2021 (i.e., has been on an NHL roster for 54 days or more between October 12, 2021 and December 22, 2021); and

ii) All Players who are a) on an NHL Active Roster, Injured Reserve or designated NonRoster as of December 22, 2021 (other than by virtue of an Emergency Recall) and b) are exempt from Regular Season Waivers and c) who participated in 16 of their Club’s last 20 games played up to Wednesday, December 22, 2021. For clarity, for purposes of this provision, a goaltender who dresses for a game shall be deemed to have participated in such game.​

I believe it was supposed to expire after the All-Star break...i just didn't know if that occurred or got extended.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

how many times do you need to be explained that losing playing time to a younger player who has out performed you is not “getting screwed?”

they’re called bonuses for a reason. They’re not guaranteed.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
how many times do you need to be explained that losing playing time to a younger player who has out performed you is not “getting screwed?”

they’re called bonuses for a reason. They’re not guaranteed.
I mean. Martin’s numbers in his 3 starts are better than Demko’s too. By your logic I guess he should be the defacto starter now. Dress it up however you like. Benching a veteran player who has played well (with the exception of the last game) just as he’s due to get his bonus is shady.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

Teams often sign players and don't get the value out of the player that they signed for...those players still get paid their full amount because they have a contract...both sides sign these contracts and both have to live by the terms of them...if Halak didn't want to risk that bonus money he should have negotiated a deal with no bonuses. Ultimately it's a business and sometimes business decisions come first.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I believe it was supposed to expire after the All-Star break...i just didn't know if that occurred or got extended.

The temporary designation just meant that it was for this season only or could be ended early with joint approval by the NHLPA (wouldn't happen).

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Teams often sign players and don't get the value out of the player that they signed for...those players still get paid their full amount because they have a contract...both sides sign these contracts and both have to live by the terms of them...if Halak didn't want to risk that bonus money he should have negotiated a deal with no bonuses. Ultimately it's a business and sometimes business decisions come first.
That’s the thing. Halak has played well. He’s received zero goal support. That’s not on him. And the contract was structured like that because it was the ONLY way the Canucks could afford to sign him.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
That’s the thing. Halak has played well. He’s received zero goal support. That’s not on him. And the contract was structured like that because it was the ONLY way the Canucks could afford to sign him.

Then he took a risk that may not pay off for him...and we took a risk that didn't really pay off for us. Honestly, I don't care if he gets paid or not...$1m and change in dead money isn't going to make a dent in anything, but I would like to know we have a management team in place that doesn't just roll over and make dumb and wasteful fiscal decisions.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
If there is no hope of signing JT to an extension then I greatly prefer doing the best we can to trade him this trade deadline. I don’t like the idea of waiting to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese