Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site

if we could get rid of players like Dickinson/ Pearson/ Poolman/ Hamonic or even Myers that would be amazing. Going to have to get real creative and/or hope GMs owe JR some favours.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
if we could get rid of players like Dickinson/ Pearson/ Poolman/ Hamonic or even Myers that would be amazing. Going to have to get real creative and/or hope GMs owe JR some favours.

Clearing out Dickinson, Pearson, Poolman, Hamonic, Myers, and Halak would clear up 15.9m on next years cap. If you include Chiasson, Motte, Hunt, and Luongo's recapture that number goes up to 21.7m. However Holtby(1.9m) and Virtanen (0.5m) take up 2.4m of the cap next season so even if all those contracts are moved it only leaves 19.3m extra in cap space (plus the 3.5m in LTIR from Ferland).

Lammikko, Highmore, and Boeser are RFAs. The defence would consist of Hughes, OEL, Schenn, Burroughs, Rathbone, and Keeper. So looking at the RFAs, at least 4 forward spots, around half the defence, and the backup goalie split between 19.3m.

If Boeser just accepts his 7.5m qualify offer that leaves 15.3m (including LTIR) to fill every other spot on the roster.

Something else has to give even if half the roster is turned over.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Thoughts on Boeser for Copp as a base?

Would be a risk given Copp can walk but he would be the ideal 3C going forward.

Not sure how high Boeser's value is when it comes to picks/prospects anyway given his meh season and upcoming QO.

Obviously if we could get a 1st+ that would be safer.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Thoughts on Boeser for Copp as a base?

Would be a risk given Copp can walk but he would be the ideal 3C going forward.

Not sure how high Boeser's value is when it comes to picks/prospects anyway given his meh season and upcoming QO.

Obviously if we could get a 1st+ that would be safer.
It doesn't really address a need for us. Boeser trade would need to give us a 1st+/prospect or address defense to be honest. Copp would be a super luxury and would be what we hoped Dickinson would've morphed into...

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If you want Copp then target him in free agency. Only reason to acquire him now would be an extension was worked out before the deal (with the Jet's blessings, of course).\

If the team is targeting Copp as the 3rd line C then one of two things have to happen:

1) Miller is traded
2) Pettersson is moved to the wing

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
It doesn't really address a need for us. Boeser trade would need to give us a 1st+/prospect or address defense to be honest. Copp would be a super luxury and would be what we hoped Dickinson would've morphed into...

3C isn't a need? Dickinson is a sunk cost in that regard, we need to look elsewhere.

If you want Copp then target him in free agency. Only reason to acquire him now would be an extension was worked out before the deal (with the Jet's blessings, of course).\

If the team is targeting Copp as the 3rd line C then one of two things have to happen:

1) Miller is traded
2) Pettersson is moved to the wing

I don't see why that's the case when Miller can play wing, but I'm not opposed to Pettersson moving to the wing either.

Problem with waiting for free agency is that he's likely going to be a highly sought after asset.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
3C isn't a need? Dickinson is a sunk cost in that regard, we need to look elsewhere.

I don't see why that's the case when Miller can play wing, but I'm not opposed to Pettersson moving to the wing either.

Problem with waiting for free agency is that he's likely going to be a highly sought after asset.

Yes, Miller can move to W but he's a better C than Pettersson and they've played off each other that way before.

The biggest issue is that Copp's next caphit will be similar to Boeser's now. Do you think signing Copp to an extension before he even plays with the team is realistic? If not, then target him as a FA and get other assets for Boeser (if you're so inclined to trade him).

The Canucks biggest need, right now, is getting any sort of flexibility.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

re:Halak, I don’t think this has any bearing on the cap hit?

I thought bonuses were always paid after the season. I had never heard of a player getting the bonus immediately after hitting it, but regardless, scheduling of payment is a different matter than how the salary cap works.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
re:Halak, I don’t think this has any bearing on the cap hit?

I thought bonuses were always paid after the season. I had never heard of a player getting the bonus immediately after hitting it, but regardless, scheduling of payment is a different matter than how the salary cap works.

I had reached out to a couple of people on twitter to see how bonus and the like are treated for trading or retaining and haven't got any sort of answer.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
rutherford smart at covering all his bases

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
whole league should have interest in him considering his play has been solid af this year

2nd, nothing less.

And his contract. Signed for next year at 0.8m is extremely enticing for every team in the league. He now comes with a "knows how to win" label due to playing in the playoffs for the Lightning the last 2 seasons. It'd have to be a strangely massive haul, though. He's just as valuable to the Canucks as he would be to every other team. Only concern I have is him losing a step next year and regressing to his part time play with Tampa Bay.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I’d only move schenn if you get 2/3 round pick out of it… otherwise, you keep him and his $850k cap hit for another season. He’s done well with Hughes so no sense taking away another one of Quinn’s partners just because “leafs want him”.

And tbh you may as well just keep him until next season at that cap hit/ what he brings.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Schenn is a player I keep unless it's a 2nd coming back or something outrageous. He is an awesome hitter, fighter, and plays well with Hughes. And we can't count on Hamonic for anything.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I actually would even be very hesitant to move him for a 2nd. Given his positive impact with Hughes and the rest of the defence, it'd have to be more of an overpay for me. Just looking up the Leafs depth, it'd have to be someone like Alex Steeves (22 years old, centre, undrafted college signee, nearly PP in his first AHL season) to make sense.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Going to be f***ing pissed if Miller isn’t traded.

Boeser should be his value is likely all time low.

This better be posturing and not having this team somehow trick Ruth and Al into believing they are better than they are.

Reactions: David71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad