Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
To me we should be getting back 19-22 y/o NHL players (or very close to it) as the centerpiece, not a bunch of lottery tickets that might be something 5 years from now. This team isn't doing a full rebuild right now. We'll be keeping Hughes and Demko and be looking to turn it around in 1-2 years.

What you're suggesting is the definition of quantity over quality.

Exactly. I feel like we can add some much needed extra picks by selling other UFAs like Motte and (hopefully) Halak. Hell, maybe if JR is really going wild then we'd be getting back a bunch of picks in a Boeser deal. But, when it comes to moving a Miller/Horvat, there needs to be some serious quality coming back in the age range you've listed.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
To me we should be getting back 19-22 y/o NHL players (or very close to it) as the centerpiece, not a bunch of lottery tickets that might be something 5 years from now. This team isn't doing a full rebuild right now. We'll be keeping Hughes and Demko and be looking to turn it around in 1-2 years.

What you're suggesting is the definition of quantity over quality.

Of course, that was the entire point and I thought that was outlined pretty clear. I was showing how much quantity is likely to be expected if they choose to go that route. Not my preference either, but nobody here makes the decisions and I definitely think they could go this route.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Exactly. I feel like we can add some much needed extra picks by selling other UFAs like Motte and (hopefully) Halak. Hell, maybe if JR is really going wild then we'd be getting back a bunch of picks in a Boeser deal. But, when it comes to moving a Miller/Horvat, there needs to be some serious quality coming back in the age range you've listed.

Sounds like there is interest in Schenn for picks as well.

And yeah - I think Boeser is going to be gone, but you aren't going to get prime assets there. You're going to be getting some average futures and draft picks.

In a Miller deal, you have to hit it out of the park. This will probably be the most important trade made in Rutherford's time here, however long it is.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Of course, that was the entire point and I thought that was outlined pretty clear. I was showing how much quantity is likely to be expected if they choose to go that route. Not my preference either, but nobody here makes the decisions and I definitely think they could go this route.

I'd want even more quantity than that.

It would be very disappointing if they went that route and took a bunch of options that have a sub-50% chance of ever being useful.

Reactions: timw33 and m9

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Sounds like there is interest in Schenn for picks as well.

And yeah - I think Boeser is going to be gone, but you aren't going to get prime assets there. You're going to be getting some average futures and draft picks.

In a Miller deal, you have to hit it out of the park. This will probably be the most important trade made in Rutherford's time here, however long it is.

Depth dmen routinely go for a 4th or 5th, so I think that's low hanging fruit for Schenn.

Motte should probably net a 3rd, possibly a late second if he stays super hot from a contender making finishing touches.

Halak should also be a 3rd or 4th.

Boeser I feel like you should get a Zucker-like package cause he comes with the same amount of team control as Zucker did, so thats late first + Addison + Galcheynuk (would rather take back another mid rounder instead) equivalent.

Would be good to start going into drafts with surplus picks that can still be moved for upgrades, but boy oh boy does this prospect need a couple bumper crops.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Depth dmen routinely go for a 4th or 5th, so I think that's low hanging fruit for Schenn.

Motte should probably net a 3rd, possibly a late second if he stays super hot from a contender making finishing touches.

Halak should also be a 3rd or 4th.

Boeser I feel like you should get a Zucker-like package cause he comes with the same amount of team control as Zucker did, so thats late first + Addison + Galcheynuk (would rather take back another mid rounder instead) equivalent.

Would be good to start going into drafts with surplus picks that can still be moved for upgrades, but boy oh boy does this prospect need a couple bumper crops.

I'd be surprised if we could get anything at all for Halak given the bonus and NTC.

Boeser ... who knows. Hopefully he can start scoring a bit and up his value. I wouldn't be surprised if interest is very limited given that QO and his recent performance. I think we'll get something? But I wouldn't be shocked if it's like a 2nd rounder and a long-term prospect.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Even with Newhook and Boldy level prospects we need to be careful. There is a good chance they also never become close to a ppg center/winger with size.

Frankly I'm in the camp that believes that with some good moves the core of this team Petey,Hughes, demko can compete.

Imo only looking at young players limits your options and possibilities.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Even with Newhook and Boldy level prospects we need to be careful. There is a good chance they also never become close to a ppg center/winger with size.

Frankly I'm in the camp that believes that with some good moves the core of this team Petey,Hughes, demko can compete.

Imo only looking at young players limits your options and possibilities.

The sort of teams looking to trade for JT Miller would be very unlikely to be moving out the sort of veterans that would be interesting to us.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
The sort of teams looking to trade for JT Miller would be very unlikely to be moving out the sort of veterans that would be interesting to us.

Miller yeah but for Boeser not necessarily. I don't think we should only look for picks and prospects. If we can get good value even if that player is older it should be considered.

Reactions: MS

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'd be surprised if we could get anything at all for Halak given the bonus and NTC.

Boeser ... who knows. Hopefully he can start scoring a bit and up his value. I wouldn't be surprised if interest is very limited given that QO and his recent performance. I think we'll get something? But I wouldn't be shocked if it's like a 2nd rounder and a long-term prospect.

Yeah it's assuming a lot with Halak (waived NMC, retained 50% to help offset the bonus crap). I would take literally anything to not have to deal with the bonus though.

Reactions: vanuck and MS

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
A group = 1 for 1 type deal some adjustments can be made
B group = prospect + type deal
C = Hockey trade

A = Newhook Tomasino Thomas Texier Lafreniere Kakko
B = Schneider+Othmann, Tolvanen+Svechkov, Tippett+Sourdif, Jost+Barron+roster player or pick, Chinakov+Cuelemans, Lambos+Beckman+roster player or pick
C = Kapanen+Joseph, ErikssonEk+conditional pick, Carlo+Debrusk

If were trading Miller this year those are pretty much the only type of deals that are getting me to look seriously

and as far as Laf i doubt NYR do that at this point and i get the feeling that as a #1 he's overrated in asset value compared to how hes playing thus would just be a pissing match to find common ground

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckleBerry

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If Miller was a pure "rental" who was coming off the books at the end of the season, sure...expecting a team to give up a Rossi/Boldy/Newhook/Byrum type player is a tall ask, but having him locked up for 1 additional year, at a very friendly price (even more so if we did any retainage)...you are giving a contending team 2 solid kicks at the can at winning a cup with Miller...those are the types of deals you give up top notch prospects for.

In 2005 Dallas gave up an 18 year old Jarome Iginla for a 28 year old Joe Nieuwendyk...Dallas won a cup with Nieuwendyk winning the Conn Smythe, Iginla went on to have a fantastic career with Calgary...this is the type of trade where it probably steamed a bunch of Dallas fans giving up Iginla, but I'm sure they wouldn't give up their SC to take the trade back. This is the type of trade that will embitter fans of prized prospects but they'll long forget about them if they end up winning a cup with Miller's help.
This is precisely the kind of trade that I am hoping for..I dont give a rats about the late 1st's.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This isn't in relation to Miller or Boeser but I'm curious if Pierre-Olivier Joseph ends up being a minor name to keep an eye on.

Rutherford traded for him in Pittsburgh and Castonguay was his agent. His waiver eligibility ends at the start of next season and he's having a strong AHL season. Potential cheap blueline depth.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This isn't in relation to Miller or Boeser but I'm curious if Pierre-Olivier Joseph ends up being a minor name to keep an eye on.

Rutherford traded for him in Pittsburgh and Castonguay was his agent. His waiver eligibility ends at the start of next season and he's having a strong AHL season. Potential cheap blueline depth.
Good call.

I wonder about a Kapanen Joseph type deal.

Another one that has crossed my mind is Eriksson Ek for Miller if Minny wants to get a more legit 1C to play with Kaprizov. Would fit nicely behind Pettersson and Horvat to keep us strong down the middle for some time to come.

Same AAV. maybe a conditional pick if he re signs. Of course i'm just musing as like i said before it's important they push for the best player available so he can fit into our core going forward if it's this year.

In the off season you can start looking at more sensible trades that help the timelines and fill out needs as you can re allocate cap on some free agents plus wer not throwing the season down the toilet which may have some negative feedback unless the boys are excited for the young stud we just added

Last edited:
Reactions: MS

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Kapanen is definitely a guy that I think could end up here, especially if they move on from Boeser. Joseph is a good catch, too.

The under-the-radar guy on the Canucks who I think could be moved is Kyle Burroughs. Cheap RHD depth signed through next year.

Reactions: timw33 and MS

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Full expecting Miller to be dealt to NYR.

I we get one of Laf, Kakko or Schnieder in some sort of deal I would be super happy.

But bare minimum I would accept is Lundkvist, Kravtsov, Barron and a 1st.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Zero interest in Laf. He was always overrated as #1 pick and I don't really see any part of his game that projects to be elite.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Zero interest in Laf. He was always overrated as #1 pick and I don't really see any part of his game that projects to be elite.

I wouldn't have *zero* interest but I don't think I'd be willing to pay the premium that he's going to cost due to his draft position.

I didn't like him as much as most in his (very weak as it was) draft year and didn't have him at #1 overall ... but I do also think he'll eventually be a Boeser/Schwartz-type 60-point softish slowish skill winger. If you traded Boeser in a separate deal he'd be a nice enough fit to slot into that roster spot.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
What worries me about acquiring Laf is that if he even somewhat turns it around he will get paid more because first overall pick. I don't think he will be traded though.

Also, the first overall picks automatically making the NHL trend needs to end. Unless it's a Mcdavid, Eichel, Matthews level prospect, the only reason they should make the team is if they earn it.

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
Good call.

I wonder about a Kapanen Joseph type deal.

Another one that has crossed my mind is Eriksson Ek for Miller if Minny wants to get a more legit 1C to play with Kaprizov. Would fit nicely behind Pettersson and Horvat to keep us strong down the middle for some time to come.

Same AAV. maybe a conditional pick if he re signs. Of course i'm just musing as like i said before it's important they push for the best player available so he can fit into our core going forward if it's this year.

In the off season you can start looking at more sensible trades that help the timelines and fill out needs as you can re allocate cap on some free agents plus wer not throwing the season down the toilet which may have some negative feedback unless the boys are excited for the young stud we just added

No disrespect, but Minnesota signed Eriksson Ek to 8 years no trade and he's absolutely not going anywhere

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I wouldn't have *zero* interest but I don't think I'd be willing to pay the premium that he's going to cost due to his draft position.

I didn't like him as much as most in his (very weak as it was) draft year and didn't have him at #1 overall ... but I do also think he'll eventually be a Boeser/Schwartz-type 60-point softish slowish skill winger. If you traded Boeser in a separate deal he'd be a nice enough fit to slot into that roster spot.

This is the thing with him, as a player, for me. If you trade Miller it's to fill a weakness in C or D. I don't see him really moving the team forward even if he develops into a solid scoring winger.

Reactions: vanuck and MS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad