Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Colorado could a decent destination for Miller & should put them over the top of any club in their division.

Barron, Newhook, '23 1st + expiring cap dump for JTM 50% retained & Halak

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Calgary doesn't have any tradeable assets as interesting as Newhook/Byram/Rossi/Boldy/Kakko/Schneider but I'd be happy with Matthew Coronato and Jeremie Poirier in the system. Add some picks too.

If the Canucks didn't want the Flames to be good we shouldn't have let them have Tanev + Markstrom lol. Extract the highest possible return via trade instead of galaxy braining about competition with other teams.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Helps playing with Kaprizov who has been the most dominant ES scorer in the NHL this season.
And let’s be honest…. He’s not a #1 centre. It’s passable for now but no way that’s a permanent fixture. Wild trying to cut corners in order to not lose any prospects… which is fine if you are thinking your window is in a couple years, I suppose.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Think we need to temper our expectations on trade return for miller…. Can’t imagine we will be getting any a+ prospects (like Rossi, boldy, newhook, kakko, Laf). Likely it’s the tier just below + picks.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Think we need to temper our expectations on trade return for miller…. Can’t imagine we will be getting any a+ prospects (like Rossi, boldy, newhook, kakko, Laf). Likely it’s the tier just below + picks.

We absolutely should be, especially if we retain.

There are already rumours of like 5 teams in on Miller.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
We absolutely should be, especially if we retain.

There are already rumours of like 5 teams in on Miller.
You definitely ask… I just have my doubts any team will do that deal.

Personally I think it’s the Schneider, Barron, lambos type of return that would be more likely than those other names. I could be way off and happy to admit my wrongs.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You definitely ask… I just have my doubts any team will do that deal.

Personally I think it’s the Schneider, Barron, lambos type of return that would be more likely than those other names. I could be way off and happy to admit my wrongs.

That's barely more than the return for Toffoli (as a pure rental) or Blake Coleman or Jason Zucker. For an 80-point #1C on a bargain contract, for multiple seasons.

If Rutherford/new GM can't leverage a significant centerpiece asset from this trade I will be very disappointed.

Reactions: timw33

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
This Miller trade will be a HUGE test for our new pro scouting department. Not gonna pretend I know their direction but seems to me the primary target should be a young elite potential RD before anything else

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
That's barely more than the return for Toffoli (as a pure rental) or Blake Coleman or Jason Zucker. For an 80-point #1C on a bargain contract, for multiple seasons.

If Rutherford/new GM can't leverage a significant centerpiece asset from this trade I will be very disappointed.
Zucker got a 1st (lambos), galchenyuk and Addison

Coleman got 1st & Nolan Foote

miller should bare minimum get 1st + good prospect + another high pick (1st or 2nd)/ prospect. Which would be more than both of those offers.

I just don’t think that prospect will be the grade a+ ones that have already broken into the nhl. But hey you never know.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I keep hoping a team in the West will trade something stupid for Miller. The West is weak and getting a player of Miller's calibre for < 3 million for 2 years could be a huge difference maker.

It may be sacrilege to say but I think Bo holds some pretty considerable trade value as well and I wonder if JR has looked at trading him.

eg:
Bouchard + 1st + Turris + Koskinen + more cap dumps as required
for
Miller (50%) + Myers

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

miller should bare minimum get 1st + good prospect + another high pick (1st or 2nd)/ prospect. Which would be more than both of those offers.

I just don’t think that prospect will be the grade a+ ones that have already broken into the nhl. But hey you never know.

If all anyone wants to offer is the standard rental price then we have the luxury of hanging onto him and selling him next year at the standard rental price. To get him this year, team's are going to have to trade something that hurts.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
If top notch prospects are not on the table for the 2022 deadline, then you hang up the phone. Something underwhelming like a 1st+prospect will easily be on the table at the 2023 deadline for Miller. There is absolutely no reason to force a trade this season if the market doesn't line up with the value we need to make the trade worth it.

Reactions: vanuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

The Schneider + #1 sort of packages are what you'd expect to get for a player of Miller's calibre as a pure rental. The full extra season on a bargain contract is worth more than another late first or 2nd rounder.

If all anyone wants to offer is the standard rental price then we have the luxury of hanging onto him and selling him next year at the standard rental price. To get him this year, team's are going to have to trade something that hurts.

Exactly.

You either hit a home run or you keep a very good player and trade him for the sort of 'good prospect plus late first' package a year from now.

We have all the leverage here on a player that teams are already lining up for. There should be a bidding war on this player.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
If Miller was a pure "rental" who was coming off the books at the end of the season, sure...expecting a team to give up a Rossi/Boldy/Newhook/Byrum type player is a tall ask, but having him locked up for 1 additional year, at a very friendly price (even more so if we did any retainage)...you are giving a contending team 2 solid kicks at the can at winning a cup with Miller...those are the types of deals you give up top notch prospects for.

In 2005 Dallas gave up an 18 year old Jarome Iginla for a 28 year old Joe Nieuwendyk...Dallas won a cup with Nieuwendyk winning the Conn Smythe, Iginla went on to have a fantastic career with Calgary...this is the type of trade where it probably steamed a bunch of Dallas fans giving up Iginla, but I'm sure they wouldn't give up their SC to take the trade back. This is the type of trade that will embitter fans of prized prospects but they'll long forget about them if they end up winning a cup with Miller's help.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i would focus on the best player possible for Miller not a package of low percentage mid tier stuff

@Canucker you dropped exactly my thoughts right before i posted

Yup.

You want quality over quantity here. And need to be targeting a Newhook or a Boldy as the centerpiece of the deal.

This shouldn't be some sort of B prospect + a late 1st + a 2nd rounder sort of package. As was said above, we should be picking up a guy that hurts another team to move him.

Reactions: timw33 and sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yup.

You want quality over quantity here. And need to be targeting a Newhook or a Boldy as the centerpiece of the deal.

This shouldn't be some sort of B prospect + a late 1st + a 2nd rounder sort of package. As was said above, we should be picking up a guy that hurts another team to move him.
Cant agree more if you took even 3 random picks 2 1sts 20-30 roll dice for exact numbers and a late 2nd 50-60 and rolled a dice to do the same then overlayed those numbers over any 2 yr segments of draft picks and we pretty much 80% of the time end up with middling players or busts. May as well wait if that's the package

Reactions: MS

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Rangers interest in JT Miller has been "next level" according to Seravalli on DailyFaceOff podcast today.

Yeah, we're not walking out of this situation without bluechip pieces.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The "devil's advocate" for a quantity over quality deal would be just how awful our prospect pool is here and then we are looking ahead to a draft with no 2nd round pick.

It's really hard to find comparable deals to a JT Miller trade at the deadline because most are rentals. I think the template I would use if this kind of deal is preferred is actually the Duchene to Columbus deal, even though it was techincally a rental.

Jonathan Davidsson
Vitaly Abramov
2019 1st
2020 conditional 1st (if Duchene re-signs)

Abramov was considered a top prospect for Columbus at the time, albeit not a bluechip guy like some of the names we've talked about in this thread. Davidsson was one of their top ten prospects, but definitely a "B" prospect. The answer might already be built into the results here - the guys Ottawa received didn't really work out. But, process over results.

In this scenario Miller is already re-signed for a great price - albeit only one year - so we're going to check that "conditional" box to come up with the Miller deal in a "quantity over quality deal":

2022 1st
2023 1st
2nd or 3rd best prospect from a team
Top 10 best prospect from a team

I'm not really advocating this type of deal - but if they go in that direction, that's the framework they should be looking at.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The "devil's advocate" for a quantity over quality deal would be just how awful our prospect pool is here and then we are looking ahead to a draft with no 2nd round pick.

It's really hard to find comparable deals to a JT Miller trade at the deadline because most are rentals. I think the template I would use if this kind of deal is preferred is actually the Duchene to Columbus deal, even though it was techincally a rental.

Jonathan Davidsson
Vitaly Abramov
2019 1st
2020 conditional 1st (if Duchene re-signs)

Abramov was considered a top prospect for Columbus at the time, albeit not a bluechip guy like some of the names we've talked about in this thread. Davidsson was one of their top ten prospects, but definitely a "B" prospect. The answer might already be built into the results here - the guys Ottawa received didn't really work out. But, process over results.

In this scenario Miller is already re-signed for a great price - albeit only one year - so we're going to check that "conditional" box to come up with the Miller deal in a "quantity over quality deal":

2022 1st
2023 1st
2nd or 3rd best prospect from a team
Top 10 best prospect from a team

I'm not really advocating this type of deal - but if they go in that direction, that's the framework they should be looking at.

To me we should be getting back 19-22 y/o NHL players (or very close to it) as the centerpiece, not a bunch of lottery tickets that might be something 5 years from now. This team isn't doing a full rebuild right now. We'll be keeping Hughes and Demko and be looking to turn it around in 1-2 years.

What you're suggesting is the definition of quantity over quality.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
If Miller was a pure "rental" who was coming off the books at the end of the season, sure...expecting a team to give up a Rossi/Boldy/Newhook/Byrum type player is a tall ask, but having him locked up for 1 additional year, at a very friendly price (even more so if we did any retainage)...you are giving a contending team 2 solid kicks at the can at winning a cup with Miller...those are the types of deals you give up top notch prospects for.

In 2005 Dallas gave up an 18 year old Jarome Iginla for a 28 year old Joe Nieuwendyk...Dallas won a cup with Nieuwendyk winning the Conn Smythe, Iginla went on to have a fantastic career with Calgary...this is the type of trade where it probably steamed a bunch of Dallas fans giving up Iginla, but I'm sure they wouldn't give up their SC to take the trade back. This is the type of trade that will embitter fans of prized prospects but they'll long forget about them if they end up winning a cup with Miller's help.
Good post. What a lot of fans of borderline contenders in the main forum/trade forum can't grasp is exactly what you said about Dallas. Sure Colorado might give up someone like Newhook, but they then have JT Miller, a legitimate first liner, for 2 playoff runs. It makes so much sense as a cup contender to take the plunge on moves like this. Sometimes it doesn't make sense to "prolong" your cup window by keeping prospects instead of taking a chance and going all in when something like a JT Miller is available.

Reactions: vanuck and Canucker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad