Fantasy Baseball Thread V

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Wondering if I should try and trade Brad Hand for a good bat and then just ride whatever closers are out there?

Trevor May
Brandon Morrow/Pedro Strop
Mychel Givens (bleh)
Kelvin Herrera
Alex Colome

Are just a few who are projected to have most saves on waiver wire

Greg Holland was given closer role recently and is out there too

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wondering if I should try and trade Brad Hand for a good bat and then just ride whatever closers are out there?

Trevor May
Brandon Morrow/Pedro Strop
Mychel Givens (bleh)
Kelvin Herrera
Alex Colome

Are just a few who are projected to have most saves on waiver wire

Greg Holland was given closer role recently and is out there too

I'd keep Hand. This is the H2H points league, right? If so, saves as a single category don't matter as much. I'd rather have the guy with a high K rate and great ratios.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
12 team H2H (R, HR, RBI, AVG, SB, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP)

Wasn't necessarily my intent but have a lot of upside but it's of course only potential. Will stream starters in an IL spot that opens up until hitters sort themselves out (2-4 weeks in), then will roster additional SPs. Hitting is always at a premium in this league.

C - Ramos
1B - Gallo
2B - Torres
SS - Story (keeper)
3B - Guererro Jr. (Brian Anderson)
OF - S Marte
OF - Soto (keeper)
OF - Conforto
UTIL - Braun
UTIL - J Polanco

B - Olson
B - Ohtani
B - Goodrum
B - Tatis Jr.

SP - Cole (keeper)
SP - Flaherty
SP - Marquez
SP - Quintana
RP - Leclerc
RP - Alvarado
SP/RP - Reyes

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'd keep Hand. This is the H2H points league, right? If so, saves as a single category don't matter as much. I'd rather have the guy with a high K rate and great ratios.

Yeah H2H. I think I’m a little too jumpy/antsy to try and make a move to get a bat, but might tough it out for a few weeks and see how things go.

Hosmer has a short leash and I can always trade an arm for a bat as I found it fairly easy to stream pitchers last year and there seem to be a ton of decent pitchers on the WW still that I’m intrigued by (Caleb Smith/Trevor Richards/Pablo Lopez/Matt Strahm/Freddy Peralta/Forrest Whitley when called up, to name a few)

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Need some "deep" RP advice. I say deep because we're only a 12 team league, but you have to roster/start 5 RPs. It's H2H points, so one common strategy is to try and get some SPARPs, and another strategy is to aim for multi-inning guys, as well as 8th inning guys with good ratios, since we count holds, and generally you want to max out on Ks because they are a boost.

You sort of still need at least one good closer, so in my league I have Vazquez because he was the cheapest of his tier and I'm a Pirates homer. In part for the latter reason, I decided to grab Kela to go with him.

However, I'm thinking it is probably wise to get Diego Castillo instead. He will probably pitch more innings, and I also have Alvarado, so would get the tandem of both of those. My other RPs right now are Pomeranz and Pressly. I'm pretty dead set on keeping Pressly, and while Pomeranz might not be that worth it, I'm going to at least see how it plays out. I don't think this decision is make or break, but Castillo seems to have a slight edge at least.

Also, separately curious if anyone has early speculation on Soroka. I drafted him, but couldn't IL stash like I wanted because he's not technically with the MLB team. He seems like he'll build up innings and I would assume enter into the rotation mix in short order, but is there a chance they'll keep him down? My plan right now is to keep an eye on him, and probably stash him again when he's had a good minor league start (I currently have Fried on my roster just to see how he does, so I can easily open up a spot).

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Need some "deep" RP advice. I say deep because we're only a 12 team league, but you have to roster/start 5 RPs. It's H2H points, so one common strategy is to try and get some SPARPs, and another strategy is to aim for multi-inning guys, as well as 8th inning guys with good ratios, since we count holds, and generally you want to max out on Ks because they are a boost.

You sort of still need at least one good closer, so in my league I have Vazquez because he was the cheapest of his tier and I'm a Pirates homer. In part for the latter reason, I decided to grab Kela to go with him.

However, I'm thinking it is probably wise to get Diego Castillo instead. He will probably pitch more innings, and I also have Alvarado, so would get the tandem of both of those. My other RPs right now are Pomeranz and Pressly. I'm pretty dead set on keeping Pressly, and while Pomeranz might not be that worth it, I'm going to at least see how it plays out. I don't think this decision is make or break, but Castillo seems to have a slight edge at least.

Also, separately curious if anyone has early speculation on Soroka. I drafted him, but couldn't IL stash like I wanted because he's not technically with the MLB team. He seems like he'll build up innings and I would assume enter into the rotation mix in short order, but is there a chance they'll keep him down? My plan right now is to keep an eye on him, and probably stash him again when he's had a good minor league start (I currently have Fried on my roster just to see how he does, so I can easily open up a spot).

What other relievers are out there besides Castillo?

As for Soroka, I don't think he'll be too valuable in your league because I don't expect a lot of strikeouts. I think they'll keep him down as well for the time being.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
What other relievers are out there besides Castillo?

As for Soroka, I don't think he'll be too valuable in your league because I don't expect a lot of strikeouts. I think they'll keep him down as well for the time being.

There's some upside: Bradley (who I maybe stupidly cut in order to squeeze a start out of Fried), Brasier, Guerero, Romo, Stock... lots of guys who are either lottery tickets or deep leaguers. I tend to like guys with great K rates who pick up Holds, but I also think it's sort of the safer strategy to get as many SPARPs as possible, since in my league, if one of your relievers does something like pitches in one game and gives up two homers and washes out, then he's practically going to cancel out a solid SP start because homers murder the points (they are -14).

So I may not place a lot of emphasis on it, and just see how the Kela/Vazquez combo works out. I think Castillo is a bit underrated, and my thought is that he's not only a good combo/backup to have with Alvarado, but if he's pitching sometimes as the opener, sometimes in middle relief, etc., then over the course of the week, he might effectively be a SPARP. The downside to the closer + set-up combo is that it's so dependent on the team winning, and winning in a certain way. My assumption is that a whole lot of Pirate wins are going to be one or two run games where both of those guys pitch.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
There's some upside: Bradley (who I maybe stupidly cut in order to squeeze a start out of Fried), Brasier, Guerero, Romo, Stock... lots of guys who are either lottery tickets or deep leaguers. I tend to like guys with great K rates who pick up Holds, but I also think it's sort of the safer strategy to get as many SPARPs as possible, since in my league, if one of your relievers does something like pitches in one game and gives up two homers and washes out, then he's practically going to cancel out a solid SP start because homers murder the points (they are -14).

So I may not place a lot of emphasis on it, and just see how the Kela/Vazquez combo works out. I think Castillo is a bit underrated, and my thought is that he's not only a good combo/backup to have with Alvarado, but if he's pitching sometimes as the opener, sometimes in middle relief, etc., then over the course of the week, he might effectively be a SPARP. The downside to the closer + set-up combo is that it's so dependent on the team winning, and winning in a certain way. My assumption is that a whole lot of Pirate wins are going to be one or two run games where both of those guys pitch.

Your league sounds like it uses almost the exact same scoring system as a daily contest I used to play. It's WAR based, right?

But in my league, you were only allowed to put SPs in an SP spot even if they were RP eligible.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, it's WAR based. I bet it's the same exact system, I saw what seemed to be some similar breakdowns when I was looking at rando public leagues this year.

We should probably have that rule, because you can get a huge advantage from SPARPs, especially if you position yourself to have a few by the end of the season. That's always sort of my plan – last year I ended up with Brad Keller which was a huge boon. Pomeranz might be garbage, but he might be very valuable in that role for me, and the rest is just tinkering, though for now I do like Vazquez, Alvarado, and Pressly for sure.

At least somehow the Paddack hype avoided our league, because I got him for $1 in the re-draft. I think it was only the very beginning of his hype, when Green was still not indicating that he would actually make the rotation. (though in the long run, not sure how impactful Paddack will be in terms of innings)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I love fantasy baseball, but I opted to skip for the first time since I graduated college in 2002 and it feels like a weight's been lifted. Good luck this season everyone!

Reactions: Franson

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It's hard to enforce that rule, though.

Maybe have utility pitcher spots only, but have a yearly inning maximum?

Yeah, I think our league kind of enforces something similar by making you have 5 RPs (as in, can't leave then blank for bench spots, etc). It's still possible to field SPARPs, but everyone only seems at most moderately interested in it except one guy who is obsessed.

One thing that I remembered earlier while watching Houston is that James might gain RP eligibility and then go back into the rotation.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Thinking about picking up Domingo Santana from Seattle

I can drop one of the following

Roberto Osuna (but then I'd be short a pitcher, hes also my only RP)
Joey Gallo
Vic Robles
Brandon Nimmo
Hosmer
David Peralta
Yuli Gurriel
Marcell ozuna

First 4 are the ones I would prefer to drop.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Thinking about picking up Domingo Santana from Seattle

I can drop one of the following

Roberto Osuna (but then I'd be short a pitcher, hes also my only RP)
Joey Gallo
Vic Robles
Brandon Nimmo
Hosmer
David Peralta
Yuli Gurriel
Marcell ozuna

First 4 are the ones I would prefer to drop.

Nimmo

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Well, joined my first baseball pool in a long time and drafting tomorrow. Looks like theirs some funky scoring settings, so I'll probably use this thread a whole bunch (at least early on until I get my bearings).

From what I gather the "traditional" way for beginners to draft is to go heavy on hitters early and try and fill out pitching later on. The way it's currently set up I need to start 8 pitchers per week (2 SP, 2 RP, 4 P) so presumably I'd have to nail that position down a little bit earlier.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Well, joined my first baseball pool in a long time and drafting tomorrow. Looks like theirs some funky scoring settings, so I'll probably use this thread a whole bunch (at least early on until I get my bearings).

From what I gather the "traditional" way for beginners to draft is to go heavy on hitters early and try and fill out pitching later on. The way it's currently set up I need to start 8 pitchers per week (2 SP, 2 RP, 4 P) so presumably I'd have to nail that position down a little bit earlier.

What exactly are the funky scoring settings?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
What exactly are the funky scoring settings?

Funky may have been the wrong way to put it, but it's definitely a lot (or a lot for a semi beginner like me!)

Batter categories: Runs (R), Hits (H), Doubles (2B), Triples (3B), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Walks (BB), Strikeouts (K), Total Bases (TB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base Percentage (OBP)

Pitching categories: Wins (W), Losses (L), Complete Games (CG), Shutouts (SHO), Saves (SV), Hits (H), Earned Runs (ER), Home Runs (HR), Walks (BB), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP)

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Funky may have been the wrong way to put it, but it's definitely a lot (or a lot for a semi beginner like me!)

Batter categories: Runs (R), Hits (H), Doubles (2B), Triples (3B), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Walks (BB), Strikeouts (K), Total Bases (TB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base Percentage (OBP)

Pitching categories: Wins (W), Losses (L), Complete Games (CG), Shutouts (SHO), Saves (SV), Hits (H), Earned Runs (ER), Home Runs (HR), Walks (BB), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP)

Oh, okay.

I'm guessing from your other post that you set your lineup on Monday, and it's locked for the week?

What pick do you have?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
What pick do you have?

Ended up with the 4th pick, which was a bit of a bummer since I missed out on the "big-three" (I have Arenado in that tier). It kind of forced me to take care of my pitching early.

C - Willson Contreras
1B - Paul Goldschmidt
2B - Matt Carpenter
SS - Gleyber Torres
3B - Travis Shaw
OF - Rhys Hoskins
OF - Cody Bellinger
OF - Mitch Haniger
Utility - Max Muncy
Utility - Mike Moustakas
BN - Asdrubal Cabrera
BN - Brandon Nimmo
BN - Max Kepler
BN - Aaron Hicks

SP - Max Sherzer
SP - Gerrit Cole
RP - Jose Leclerc
RP - Collin McHugh
P - James Paxton
P- Luis Severino
P - Jake Arrieta
P - Rich Hill
BN - Alex Wood

Trying to use Nimmo/Kepler/Hicks/Wood to upgrade pitching, since Severino and Hill are on the DL to start the year. Is it worth it to just jump on one of Shoemaker or Shane Green on waivers? If so, who would you drop out of Nimmo/Kepler?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad