Fantasy Baseball Thread V

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'd sit Ross and see how Newcomb does today (I know that the Tigers play an afternoon game today.). I think I'd sit Taillon either way, but I'd definitely wait to see how many points Newcomb gets.

Thanks, I think that makes the most sense. I'm usually against sitting my own players, because I've been burned by it before, but with Ross, it seems like there's a reasonable chance he could blow up, so it's not the move you make when you have a fairly comfortable lead.

With Taillon, I always think he's the kind of pitcher that will at the very least avoid negative points, but you're right: Newcomb's performance is the key. Rendon almost hit 5 HRs last night, and I'm sure he's going to hit more against Archer later today.

My worst roster situation in this league is what to do with Puig. I'll have Polanco back in two weeks, and don't really have anybody I'll want to drop. Dropping Puig would probably be foolish, so I guess I'll have to look for a trade. I'll probably return with some ideas in a week and a half.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah, I wouldn't cut Puig.

In a 12 team, one year league that is pretty much only a saves only league (we start one RP), how long should I hang onto Wade Davis? I really have nobody to cut, so I'd be cutting Davis if I add a new closer. Davis only has one relief win so far (5 points). A save is 10 points. It is a straight points league.

Strop
Allen
Parker
Alvardo
Swarzak
Brasier
Hicks
Colome
Leclerc
Iglesias
Holland

If I do make a switch, it'll probably be Alvardo.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think I'd just pull the trigger soon and get Alvarado. I have him and it seems like he's getting saves at a pretty regular clip.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hallelujah... Wade Davis got a save. It wasn't easy, but he did it.

I have no idea why Black brought him in to begin with. There were two outs in the 9th with a runner on in a three run game. Yes, I know that's a save situation, but to use your closer there made no sense to me.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I know it's only April, but when is it no longer "too early" to cut bait on someone performing atrociously?

Question is specifically in regards to Travis Shaw. There are guys like Wong, Kiermayer, Markakis, Smoak and Avisail Garcia sitting on the waiver wire producing better than Shaw is currently.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I know it's only April, but when is it no longer "too early" to cut bait on someone performing atrociously?

Question is specifically in regards to Travis Shaw. There are guys like Wong, Kiermayer, Markakis, Smoak and Avisail Garcia sitting on the waiver wire producing better than Shaw is currently.

I still think it's too early. If Shaw is still playing like crap at the end of April, I'd consider cutting bait.

What position do you have Shaw at? I think he's both second and third.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I still think it's too early. If Shaw is still playing like crap at the end of April, I'd consider cutting bait.

What position do you have Shaw at? I think he's both second and third.

He's actually listed as 1B, 2B, 3B on Yahoo. That flexibility kinda pushed me towards him on draft day, but I have a ton of guys who cover multiple infield positions (Carpenter, Moustakas, Muncy, A.Cabrera) so he's a bit redundant on my roster. I've ended up sitting him more often than not so far this season, but a little bit of patience certainly can't hurt.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
He's actually listed as 1B, 2B, 3B on Yahoo. That flexibility kinda pushed me towards him on draft day, but I have a ton of guys who cover multiple infield positions (Carpenter, Moustakas, Muncy, A.Cabrera) so he's a bit redundant on my roster. I've ended up sitting him more often than not so far this season, but a little bit of patience certainly can't hurt.

Yeah, flexibility is always nice. I didn't realize he was 1B eligible on Yahoo.

None of those guys you listed are must adds, so I'd hold for now.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Been thinking of jumping on Jeff McNeil but he really adds nothing but OBP (average) at the moment. Not hitting for power or stealing bases.

I'm also not sure who to drop. My options would be:

Buxton
Nimmo
Robbie Ray
Kikuchi

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Should I drop Hosmer? I 'd still have Gallo, Gurriel & Bellinger at 1B. Start 2 1B/3B.

Heres some of the best available

Kolten Wong
Jason Heyward
Ryon Healy
Alex Gordon
Tim Beckham
Dwight Smith Jr
Daniel Vogelbach
Dansby Swanson
Christian Walker

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Should I drop Hosmer? I 'd still have Gallo, Gurriel & Bellinger at 1B. Start 2 1B/3B.

Heres some of the best available

Kolten Wong
Jason Heyward
Ryon Healy
Alex Gordon
Tim Beckham
Dwight Smith Jr
Daniel Vogelbach
Dansby Swanson
Christian Walker

What does the rest of your team look like? You have a lot of position flexibility there.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What does the rest of your team look like? You have a lot of position flexibility there.

C Willson Contreras
2B/SS Trevor Story
2B/SS Gleyber Torres
1B/3B Cody Bellinger
1B/3B Yuli Gurriel
OF JD Martinez
OF Marcell Ozuna
OF David Peralta
OF Victor Robles
UTIL Andrelton Simmons

Joey Gallo
Domingo Santana
(Hosmer)

Chris Sale
Patrick Corbin
Michael Wacha
Cole Hamels
Reynaldo Lopez
Jon Lester
Roberto Osuna

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
C Willson Contreras
2B/SS Trevor Story
2B/SS Gleyber Torres
1B/3B Cody Bellinger
1B/3B Yuli Gurriel
OF JD Martinez
OF Marcell Ozuna
OF David Peralta
OF Victor Robles
UTIL Andrelton Simmons

Joey Gallo
Domingo Santana
(Hosmer)

Chris Sale
Patrick Corbin
Michael Wacha
Cole Hamels
Reynaldo Lopez
Jon Lester
Roberto Osuna

I'd get Vogelbach

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Thanks, I think that makes the most sense. I'm usually against sitting my own players, because I've been burned by it before, but with Ross, it seems like there's a reasonable chance he could blow up, so it's not the move you make when you have a fairly comfortable lead.

With Taillon, I always think he's the kind of pitcher that will at the very least avoid negative points, but you're right: Newcomb's performance is the key. Rendon almost hit 5 HRs last night, and I'm sure he's going to hit more against Archer later today.

My worst roster situation in this league is what to do with Puig. I'll have Polanco back in two weeks, and don't really have anybody I'll want to drop. Dropping Puig would probably be foolish, so I guess I'll have to look for a trade. I'll probably return with some ideas in a week and a half.

What did you end up doing with Polanco?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
What did you end up doing with Polanco?

Funnily enough, I was able to just put Marte on the IL and activate Polanco for today. Our first waiver time is tomorrow, and I hadn't replaced Marte late last week because I was winning in a lopsided way, and I knew Polanco was close, so I figured I'd see how it shook out.

As a Pirates fan I'm hoping Marte is back by next week or so, so this is only a temporary solution. Puig has continued to struggle, but it feels like a mistake to just drop him. The guy who own an inordinately expensive Mike Trout just put him up on the trade block, so I might see what kind of package it would take to go after him and make a push to win this year. The trouble is, I don't really have many prospects that I could use s the centerpiece. I have guys like Buehler, Hoskins, and Benintendi all at reasonable prices, but I don't like the idea of trying to dangle a package combo, and I'm not sure one of them alone + other stuff would get it done. Maybe I could offer Benintendi (12) and Paddack (2) and see, but I doubt that's enough. Those would be next year's prices, whereas Trout has inflated to 69 currently and probably something like 75 or more next year.

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Sanchez and Snell are off the DL for me. Now I just need Turner and and Meadows to come back.

Yahoo has added advanced stats.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
^ yeah I also have Meadows

Bellinger, Moncada, & Haniger are top 8 in fantasy points in my league. So that's a plus. Hoping DeGrom comes back soon. My pitchers haven't been that good.. Missing Jacob badly

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I left Rendon in my lineup for a weekly lock league since I thought he'd only miss a game. Oops...
I did the same thing and am getting killed by a Diamond rated player in Yahoo, but Snell and Sanchez are back and I'm in first place so I'm trying not to get too stressed out about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad