Fantasy Baseball Thread V

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
So my league is in its 8th season and 2nd year as a keeper..nothing has been odd but i am at a bit of a crossroad in 1 of my 3 keepers...Judge or Lindor...my other 2 are Betts and Nola...and as of the moment i am leaning towards the third being Lindor...

any thoughts?

I'd keep the three hitters and throw Nola back.

Reactions: trostol

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
2018 MLB Park Factors - Runs - Major League Baseball - ESPN

How much should I factor MLB parks into my drafting? So, Texas’ ballpark is at the top of this list for runs scored last year, should I snag players that play in the AL West? I guess it could be attributed to bad teams no matter the ballpark.

I mean good players are going to produce because they are good players, but just wondering if this could be a factor into some key players like say Goldy or Machado, having their numbers either spike, stall or rise.

I don’t want to overthink this and draft based on ballparks that historically are in the top of the list for runs etc. Just thought it may be something to consider.

Vice versa for pitchers too - selecting some pitchers in pitching friendly ballparks.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
2018 MLB Park Factors - Runs - Major League Baseball - ESPN

How much should I factor MLB parks into my drafting? So, Texas’ ballpark is at the top of this list for runs scored last year, should I snag players that play in the AL West? I guess it could be attributed to bad teams no matter the ballpark.

I mean good players are going to produce because they are good players, but just wondering if this could be a factor into some key players like say Goldy or Machado, having their numbers either spike, stall or rise.

I don’t want to overthink this and draft based on ballparks that historically are in the top of the list for runs etc. Just thought it may be something to consider.

Vice versa for pitchers too - selecting some pitchers in pitching friendly ballparks.

I wouldn't go crazy, but if there are two players that are close in value, I do consider it.

Reactions: PG Canuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
What were the point totals for the top five hitters and top five pitchers?

Pickoffs? Wild Pitches? Ewwwww.

Okay here we go, our scoring was updated to last years so now this is accurate:

J.Ramirez 655
M.Betts 609
F.Lindor 604
A.Bregman 590
J.Martinez 586
C.Yelich 576
M.Machado 564
N.Arenado 551
M.Trout 547
B.Harper 495
F.Freeman 494

M.Scherzer 750
J.Verlander 711
J.deGrom 685
A.Nola 653
C.Kluber 648
G.Cole 647
B.Snell 616
P.Corbin 578
C.Sale 575
L.Severino 551
C.Carrasco 546

Pitching is definitely important but should I take pitchers in like, the first three rounds? What kind of strategy should I have when pitchers are this important

10 team league H2H pts redraft

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Okay here we go, our scoring was updated to last years so now this is accurate:

J.Ramirez 655
M.Betts 609
F.Lindor 604
A.Bregman 590
J.Martinez 586
C.Yelich 576
M.Machado 564
N.Arenado 551
M.Trout 547
B.Harper 495
F.Freeman 494

M.Scherzer 750
J.Verlander 711
J.deGrom 685
A.Nola 653
C.Kluber 648
G.Cole 647
B.Snell 616
P.Corbin 578
C.Sale 575
L.Severino 551
C.Carrasco 546

Pitching is definitely important but should I take pitchers in like, the first three rounds? What kind of strategy should I have when pitchers are this important

10 team league H2H pts redraft

In a 10 team league, I prefer to go after pitchers earlier than in a 12 team league. I also load up my bench with starting pitchers in H2H leagues. I would go with at least two (probably two, but maybe three depending on the flow) pitchers in the first five rounds.

Reactions: PG Canuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
In a 10 team league, I prefer to go after pitchers earlier than in a 12 team league. I also load up my bench with starting pitchers in H2H leagues. I would go with at least two (probably two, but maybe three depending on the flow) pitchers in the first five rounds.

Last year was my first stab at fantasy baseball, so when I was drafting late/bench players, I was drafting hitters and was wondering why everyone was still selecting pitchers late. This year I know to take more pitchers for bench players but I'm not really concerned with later selections in the draft as it was easy to find batters/pitchers to streams all season long - some eventually made my team permanently.

Early to middle of the draft is where I'm focusing on the most, so I'll probably take your advice and take at least two pitchers in the first 5 rounds.

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
I’m in a 16 team dynasty league. Built my team through trades and high profile prospects the last 3 years. Regular scoring ex 1 pt per run, rbi, bb, single. 1.5 for stolen base and double. 2 for triple and 3 pats for a home run

Pitchers get 4 pats for win, -4 for loss. RP get 3 for a save & -3 for a blown save. 0.5 for a strikeout.
I finished 2nd overall but ost in semi due to my pitchers.

C - Danny Jansen
1b - Joey Votto
2b - Daniel Murphy
SS - Xander Boegarts
3b - Mike Moustakas
LF - Juan Soto
CF - Mike Trout
RF - JD Martinez
Util- Aaron Hicks lf,cf,rf
Util - Nelson Cruz dh
Util - Matt Chapman 3b

Pitchers

G. Cole
J. Paxton
Z. Grienke
J. Chacin
T. Skaggs
Z. Wheeler
M. Fiers
T. Toussaint
K. Jansen

Was offered Donaldson for Moustakas
I was offered Kershaw for Grienke
I was offered M. Foltyniewiz? & Y. Grandal for T. Toussaint & M. Chapman. Should I accept any of these? Kind of weary of Kershaw arm this spring.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I’m in a 16 team dynasty league. Built my team through trades and high profile prospects the last 3 years. Regular scoring ex 1 pt per run, rbi, bb, single. 1.5 for stolen base and double. 2 for triple and 3 pats for a home run

Pitchers get 4 pats for win, -4 for loss. RP get 3 for a save & -3 for a blown save. 0.5 for a strikeout.
I finished 2nd overall but ost in semi due to my pitchers.

C - Danny Jansen
1b - Joey Votto
2b - Daniel Murphy
SS - Xander Boegarts
3b - Mike Moustakas
LF - Juan Soto
CF - Mike Trout
RF - JD Martinez
Util- Aaron Hicks lf,cf,rf
Util - Nelson Cruz dh
Util - Matt Chapman 3b

Pitchers

G. Cole
J. Paxton
Z. Grienke
J. Chacin
T. Skaggs
Z. Wheeler
M. Fiers
T. Toussaint
K. Jansen

Was offered Donaldson for Moustakas
I was offered Kershaw for Grienke
I was offered M. Foltyniewiz? & Y. Grandal for T. Toussaint & M. Chapman. Should I accept any of these? Kind of weary of Kershaw arm this spring.

I'd take the Kershaw and Folty trades. I wouldn't take the Donaldson one.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Done a few mock drafts in the 6th overall slot which is where I’ll select for my league draft.

10 team H2H pts

Did two different strategies for each mock, and wondering which teams looks the more well rounded.

Draft 1
C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Freddie Freeman
2B - Robinson Cano
3B - Matt Carpenter
SS - Gleyber Torres
2B/SS - Corey Seager
1B/3B - Travis Shaw
OF - Andrew Benintendi
OF - Juan Soto
OF - Nick Markakis
OF - Marwin Gonzalez
OF - Jay Bruce
UTIL - Nelson Cruz
SP - Max Scherzer
SP - Jack Flaherty
SP - Dallas Keuchel
SP - Charlie Morton
SP - Jon Lester
SP - Kyle Hendricks
RP - Wade Davis
RP - Raisel Iglesias
RP - Collin McHugh
Bench - Carlos Santana 1B
Bench - Sean Newcomb SP
Bench - Ross Stripling SP,RP
(My league would have two more bench spots)

Draft 2
C - Danny Jansen
1B - Paul Goldschmidt
2B - Travis Shaw
3B - Matt Carpenter
SS - Alex Bregman
2B/SS - Andrelton Simmons
1B/3B - Joey Votto
OF - JD Martinez
OF - Andrew Benintendi
OF - Jesse Winker
OF - Marwin Gonzalez
OF - Nick Markakis
UTIL - Nelson Cruz
SP - Jack Flaherty
SP - Mike Foltynewicz
SP - Charlie Morton
SP - Luis Castillo
SP - Dallas Keuchel
SP - Kyle Hendricks
RP - Craig Kimbrel
RP - Raisel Iglesias
RP - Cody Allen
Bench - Reynaldo Lopez
Bench - Jhoulys Chacin
Bench - Alex Wood

Been drafting off of projected pts/ADP and personal preference of player. Not sure what is best to go off.

Second draft I didn’t take a pitcher until round 8.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
12 team straight points league, one year

Hit, Run, RBI, Homer and Steal are all one point (so a solo home run technically is four points)
Win is 15 (except a reliever win is only 5), Save is 10, Loss is -5, Complete game is 5, Shutout is 5, No-hitter is 5 and a perfect game is 5 (so a perfect game is technically 35)

(I didn't make these rules... this league has been going on for over a decade.)

This is my first year in the league. I drew the 6th pick. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. You need 20 games to qualify at a position.

1 C
1 1B
1 2B
1 3B
1 SS
3 OF
1 Util
5 SP
1 RP
5 BN
1 IL

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I have so little idea of how to relate to that kind of league... I've done this H2H points league that completely disregards most counting stats across the board (it's called WAR Games), and I think it's broken my ability to think with much else.

Partly as a result of not having a big budget for the re-draft, I ended up with Ketel Marte for 2B, and in a worse situation, Kang at 3B. The 3B options were basically Carpenter or Myers, and they got overpriced compared to everything else that was out there. Could have, and probably should have paid for Travis Shaw to avoid this situation, but such is life.

Anyways, I'm curious how people are thinking about Odor. Some team apparently goofed in drafting him, and they dropped him, so I can probably add him easily for $1 if I want to. He seems like a no brainer over Marte for the upside? I'd also like to hear what people think of Grandal and Puig. I was expecting Grandal to be hugely inflated because of scarcity and stadium adjustment, but he went for $13 and I just had to jump on it, even though I wanted to snag Jansen for $1. I was also not expecting to get Puig, but he went for $18. I know it's hard outside of context, but the top of the market was basically all questionable in some manner. Good players, guys like Strasburg, Story, Archer, Votto, but they all got inflated to about 45 or so. I went aggressive after Kershaw early and got him for $25, which I felt like was a risk, but what I was willing to gamble, and I feel like it was very smart in retrospect, because so many pitchers these days have question marks, and I think he has nowhere to go but back up if he can be healthy.

My only downside was not quite having the flexibility to get another Dodger pitcher or two, and in general not much of a pick for the very late guys like Srahm, Burnes, and others. Anyways, I had the 4th lowest to spend in the draft at 138, and walked away with Starling Marte, Puig, Grandal, Kershaw, Musgrove, Heaney, Bradley, and Vazquez, so I feel like I did a solid job. I like Ketel Marte fine enough, but Odor seems like a good opportunity to get some more upside back in the lineup, and I guess for 3B, I just pray Kang shocks everyone. Gurriel is still on waivers, and he's probably a safer fit there, but I doubt he gets added anytime soon.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Three-player keeper with one "dynasty" player - the other two keepers are for one season only. This year I have Story and Cole and Soto (expected new dynasty player).

Drafting sixth in the 1st (4th equivalent) round. I can go Merrifield or Torres and then Marte/Castellanos (Merrifield/Marte is a nice SB package) or I could opt for Springer/K Davis and then come back with Gennett/Murphy or even Suarez at 3B.

It's a 12-team H2H. I know this is lower-level stuff than often gets discussed in this thread but I don't really follow baseball, just to play in this league.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Hi, I need help with keepers on my crappy team.

I have to pick 5 so I was of keeping Torres ($6), Cano ($6), Meadows ($6), Kepler ($6), Seager ($33)

I f***ing hate my team.

Madison Bumgarner $45
Anthony Rizzo $38
Corey Seager $33
Jon Lester $32
Nelson Cruz $25
Sonny Gray $24
Miguel Sano $23
Jonathan Schoop $21
Cody Allen $20
AJ Pollock $19
Keone Kela $8
Dansby Swanson $8
Chris Devenski $7
Chad Bettis $6
Matthew Boyd $6
Robinson Cano $6
Francisco Cervelli $6
Mike Clevinger $6
Jeurys Familia $6
Kyle Freeland $6
Josh Harrison $6
Teoscar Hernandez $6
Max Kepler $6
Austin Meadows $6
Josh Reddick $6
Tyler Skaggs $6
Gleyber Torres $6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hi, I need help with keepers on my crappy team.

I have to pick 5 so I was of keeping Torres ($6), Cano ($6), Meadows ($6), Kepler ($6), Seager ($33)

I ****ing hate my team.

Madison Bumgarner $45
Anthony Rizzo $38
Corey Seager $33
Jon Lester $32
Nelson Cruz $25
Sonny Gray $24
Miguel Sano $23
Jonathan Schoop $21
Cody Allen $20
AJ Pollock $19
Keone Kela $8
Dansby Swanson $8
Chris Devenski $7
Chad Bettis $6
Matthew Boyd $6
Robinson Cano $6
Francisco Cervelli $6
Mike Clevinger $6
Jeurys Familia $6
Kyle Freeland $6
Josh Harrison $6
Teoscar Hernandez $6
Max Kepler $6
Austin Meadows $6
Josh Reddick $6
Tyler Skaggs $6
Gleyber Torres $6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I'd keep Freeland over Cano.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Hey guys, looking for some ideas of guys who are close to the majors but may start the year in the minors. Besides Vlad, Tatis Jr and Bichette

Took someone’s advice last year and picked up Andujar after the draft/waivers and it paid off.

I have the 6th pick in my keeper draft year.
5 keepers and you lose the pick ahead of where the player was picked the year prior. Example: drafted 6th round last year so it costs a 5th round pick to keep him this year. Undrafted players you lose your last round pick.

Betts (1st round to keep)
Benintendi (10th round)
Bellinger (20th round)
Buehler (21st round)
Andujar (22nd round)

Didn’t realize Buehler was so highly ranked for this year, it was between him and Pham (19th round). Figured i should keep at least one pitcher.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hey guys, looking for some ideas of guys who are close to the majors but may start the year in the minors. Besides Vlad, Tatis Jr and Bichette

Took someone’s advice last year and picked up Andujar after the draft/waivers and it paid off.

I have the 6th pick in my keeper draft year.
5 keepers and you lose the pick ahead of where the player was picked the year prior. Example: drafted 6th round last year so it costs a 5th round pick to keep him this year. Undrafted players you lose your last round pick.

Betts (1st round to keep)
Benintendi (10th round)
Bellinger (20th round)
Buehler (21st round)
Andujar (22nd round)

Didn’t realize Buehler was so highly ranked for this year, it was between him and Pham (19th round). Figured i should keep at least one pitcher.

Buehler is the easy choice.

I'm not really a prospects guy, but here.

2019 Fantasy Baseball Top 100 Prospects: Eloy Jimenez, Vladimir Guerrero, Fernando Tatis starting in minors, but you still need them on your team

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I did my first money mixed league since Papi's first year with the Sox. How'd I do?

$300 auction, H2H Roto
HR, Runs, RBI, OBP, Slg%, SB
W, QS, SV+H, K%, ERA, WHIP

C- Wellington Castillo $1
1B- Matt Olsen $20
2B- Jose Altuve $32
3B- Justin Turner $20
SS- Xander Bogserts $30
OF- Charlie Blackmon $33
OF- Mitch Haniger $16
OF- Mallex Smith $5
Utl- Ohtani (Hitter) $6 (DL Stash)

SP- Max Scherzer $42
SP- Jameson Taillon $17
RP- Edwin Diaz $20
RP- Jose Leclerc $10
P- Craig Kimbrel $15
P- Alex Reyes $4
P- David Price $19
P- Touki Tossaint $1
P- Trevor May $1

B- Kyle Tucker $3 (N/A stash)
B- Josh Bell $1
B- Kyle Seager $1 (DL stash)
B- AJ Minter $1
B- Justus Sheffield $1 (N/A stash)
B- Max Kepler $1

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm not good at Yahoo or roto leagues, so take this with a grain of salt. I think you spread things out pretty well, although I'm not sure I love all of the pitching decisions. I'm not in on Price at all, and I think the Cards are going to really only use Reyes sparingly, but maybe I'm way off base there, because I haven't checked in for a while. I'm not hot on stashing Sheffield either, but maybe there isn't much of use on the wire, and I presume guys like Luzardo, Paddack, Whitley all went for more $?

Tucker is a very good stash, and Kepler at $1 gives you good depth as well. I think you played your cards well, and I guess I'd just try and monitor the pitchers. Getting a bunch of closers was probably a smart move, but I'd like a better SP3, even though your roster is in pretty good shape, especially if Altuve bounces back. Again, I know so little about roto that this is all just spitballing, and my mind is probably warped due to years of rostering at least 9-10 SPs.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I am a ****ing idiot. I had the Yahoo draft window open, but I lost track of time and got autoed my first few picks (we kept 6, so basically rounds 7-10 or something). I'm so mad.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Thanks for the input DJ.

The nice thing about Tucker and Justus is that I can stash them in designated "N/A" spots and open up two more bench spots for FAs. Once FA opens up I'm looking to add two or three more pitchers (since I'll have 4 open bench spots once Seager and Ohtani get placed on the DL). I'll be cruising the wire to see what survives waivers. Probably targeting guys like Trev Williams, Merrill Kelly, Reynoldo Lopez, Jhoulys Chacin, Matt Strahm, Marcus Stroman, or Marco Gonzalez/Sandy Alcantera.

I'll probably look to add another position player too with my open spots. Maybe Nico Goodrum or Kike Hernandez for their positional flexibility.

Reactions: DJ Spinoza

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
The league I posted my team for is freaking wild....

We had a guy come 15 minutes late and complained all draft because he had guys on his roster "he didn't bid on". We tried to explain autodrafting and how it works, but he didn't get it and refused to shut up about it.

We had a guy fill up his entire roster about 3/4 of the way through the auction, but left $20 on the table and was baffled he wasn't allowed to cut guys to get back into the bidding.

There's 1 team (not including the team mentioned below) with no pitchers on their bench and two teams with only 1 bench pitcher.

One team roster 4 catchers (Posey, Mejia, Astudllido, Kinser-Falefa).

Victor Robles went for $27, Max Muncy $24, Eloy $24, Albies for $30, Gerrit Cole $41, Vlad Jr $30,

We have a guy who PUNTED PITCHING. Not loaded up on relievers to try to win ratios and SV+H, not avoiding starters:
upload_2019-3-18_9-16-10.png

And to cap it all off we had four teams leave $20, $15, $10, $9 on the table. I'm going to feel really bad if I don't cash in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad