Fallout 76

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Plus any quests most likely will be window dressing for collecting mats and loot.

Like just some flavor around a “kill giant mutant bat for new gun” stuff.

I also am fully expecting cosmetic loot boxes at some point. It just seems to obvious to add, and even if people complain they will still drop currency on them.

They confirmed there will be cosmetic microtransactions.

The way the crafting stuff was discussed in the doc, it made it seem like it will be pretty much impossible to do that solo because it requires you to take over one of the hotly contested workshops.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The way the crafting stuff was discussed in the doc, it made it seem like it will be pretty much impossible to do that solo because it requires you to take over one of the hotly contested workshops.

Starting at 19:25 of the video, he says that there are mini workshops and public workshops. Mini workshops are personal workbenches that you can place anywhere, while public workshops are fixed locations on the map that will require players to team up to clear them of their monsters, so that they can use them and fortify them. It's likely that the mini workshops will allow for crafting basic items and constructing basic settlements, while the public workshops will be required for crafting advanced items and constructing fortresses. You'll probably be able to play solo for a while, relying on your mini workshop, but there'll come a point, eventually, when you need to team up to create better items and move onto harder challenges. In that way, it wouldn't be that different from a lot of MMOs, where you typically can play solo until you're level 15 or so, but need to join with other players past that.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
really don't know what to think of this after watching all the videos. Fallout 4 was my first venture into the fallout realm and I really enjoyed it. I am actually a bit disappointed by the in-depth information provided. I think I will take a wait and see approach.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
really don't know what to think of this after watching all the videos. Fallout 4 was my first venture into the fallout realm and I really enjoyed it. I am actually a bit disappointed by the in-depth information provided. I think I will take a wait and see approach.
If you need to scratch the FO itch, get Fallout: New Vegas on the cheap - while it is aged, I actually think it is better than Fallout 4 anyway. I'm waiting and seeing on 76 as well, but suspect Fallout 5 will be my next Fallout game.

Reactions: Bocephus86

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
If you need to scratch the FO itch, get Fallout: New Vegas on the cheap - while it is aged, I actually think it is better than Fallout 4 anyway. I'm waiting and seeing on 76 as well, but suspect Fallout 5 will be my next Fallout game.

actually have it for 360, the ultimate edition. I bought it after I had finished fallout 4. I honestly just couldn't get into it the same as fallout 4 for some reason.

for me personally, with the price of games its really tough to pre-order without seeing the finished product. RDR2 has my money though lol.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Sounds like Fallout Sea of Thieves

Wonder when a nuke is launched if everyone will here a launch warning a la Star Craft

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
actually have it for 360, the ultimate edition. I bought it after I had finished fallout 4. I honestly just couldn't get into it the same as fallout 4 for some reason.

for me personally, with the price of games its really tough to pre-order without seeing the finished product. RDR2 has my money though lol.
Yeah, I don't do preorders. I game little enough that there's no point in even buying games full price - I can wait.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Yeah, I don't do preorders. I game little enough that there's no point in even buying games full price - I can wait.

This is the only reason to pre-order that I can think of: the E3 sales.

A group of friends is committing to play this, so I slapped a pre-order on it from Wal-Mart for $30 off. We'll see if I come to regret it. :laugh:

It's a physical Xbox copy, so worst case scenario I should be able to recoup most of the value...

One plus year later, deluxe editions with all DLCs included for 50-75% off is the way I find myself buying most games these days.

This is, of course, the most economical way to play games - a year or more behind.

I usually follow this route as well, with a few exceptions from a select few studios. Bethesda has been on that list since 2011.

The only trick is dodging the hype train.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kestrel

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I liked Fallout 4 more than NV.

I also liked Fallout 3 more than NV.

That being said, the faction system in NV was neat and some of the companions had good storylines.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I liked Fallout 4 more than NV.

I also liked Fallout 3 more than NV.

That being said, the faction system in NV was neat and some of the companions had good storylines.
I think the big sell for me was the variety of firearms and the types they had... the handloading... and the wandering around in open wilderness. New Vegas beats both the other games in those areas hands down - but if that's not the style you're looking for, New Vegas may not do it for you as much as the other games. I just don't find digging around ruined cities and metros to be nearly as enjoyable, but others obviously do. As far as the firearms go, to me, in 4, they all feel the same, some just kill quicker than others.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think the big sell for me was the variety of firearms and the types they had... the handloading... and the wandering around in open wilderness. New Vegas beats both the other games in those areas hands down - but if that's not the style you're looking for, New Vegas may not do it for you as much as the other games. I just don't find digging around ruined cities and metros to be nearly as enjoyable, but others obviously do. As far as the firearms go, to me, in 4, they all feel the same, some just kill quicker than others.

It's the same with me. I grew up with the Mad Max movies, so it's that sort of post-apocalyptic world--out in the vast desert, away from civilization--that appeals the most to me. The first two Fallout games, partly by inspiration and partly by the constraints of technology, captured some of that. Fallout 3 didn't appeal as much to me because digging around the rubble of a metropolis doesn't interest me as much. New Vegas was much more what I enjoy and also felt more like the first two games. With Fallout 3 being in D.C., Fallout 4 being in Boston and Fallout 76 being in West Virginia, Bethesda seems to be consciously trying to subvert the stereotypical post-apocalyptic setting, which is quite admirable from a creative perspective, but I've never had fantasies of being immersed in those settings.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
If they could somehow merge (or a mod that does it) the Fallout 4 power armor situation with the rest of NV, I'd play New Vegas everyday. I still agree with you, even with some of the QOL improvements from fallout 4 missing, but the power armor (and settlement, for myself) missing is hard to get over. I hate that power armor is just (really good) armor; doesn't feel right after FO4.

That being said, I save every fusion core and have probably actually used FO4 power armor 10 times, so I guess I just miss collecting them and organizing them in my fort/warehouse of special items I'll never use...

Reactions: NameInUse

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
It's the same with me. I grew up with the Mad Max movies, so it's that sort of post-apocalyptic world--out in the vast desert, away from civilization--that appeals the most to me. The first two Fallout games, partly by inspiration and partly by the constraints of technology, captured some of that. Fallout 3 didn't appeal as much to me because digging around the rubble of a metropolis doesn't interest me as much. New Vegas was much more what I enjoy and also felt more like the first two games. With Fallout 3 being in D.C., Fallout 4 being in Boston and Fallout 76 being in West Virginia, Bethesda seems to be consciously trying to subvert the stereotypical post-apocalyptic setting, which is quite admirable from a creative perspective, but I've never had fantasies of being immersed in those settings.
My dream is still a Fallout in the Canadian Rockies... but you just put another nail in the coffin of my already impossible dream.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
If they could somehow merge (or a mod that does it) the Fallout 4 power armor situation with the rest of NV, I'd play New Vegas everyday. I still agree with you, even with some of the QOL improvements from fallout 4 missing, but the power armor (and settlement, for myself) missing is hard to get over. I hate that power armor is just (really good) armor; doesn't feel right after FO4.

That being said, I save every fusion core and have probably actually used FO4 power armor 10 times, so I guess I just miss collecting them and organizing them in my fort/warehouse of special items I'll never use...
I've already said to one of my friends repeatedly that a NV style game, with refined settlement building (I wouldn't be against the power armour, I just might not use it much) would be fantastic

Reactions: Bocephus86

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
I'll give it a shot solo. Hopefully it'll go well. At my age (43) and responsibilities (3 kids, wife, job, life), it's next to impossible to schedule anything regularly with my friends for any meaningful amount of time (especially without being able to pause at will), so multiplayer is more or less off the table for me.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
One plus year later, deluxe editions with all DLCs included for 50-75% off is the way I find myself buying most games these days.

This is what I do for the most part. There are currently only 4 games im interested in buying at launch in the foreseeable future - Cyberpunk, Borderlands 3, Starfield and TES6

Usually I buckle at around $30 and pick up what I want.

Last edited:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Might have been mentioned earlier but I'm not skimming through 13 pages to check but....

So if this is an "Always Online" game will you need to have an active XBox Live Gold or PS+ account to play it at all?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Might have been mentioned earlier but I'm not skimming through 13 pages to check but....

So if this is an "Always Online" game will you need to have an active XBox Live Gold or PS+ account to play it at all?
I am expecting it to be like Destiny. You need online access to play the game, but you don't need gold or PS+ to actually play the game. I am thinking that gold and plus will result in bonus features like mods and such.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'll give it a shot solo. Hopefully it'll go well. At my age (43) and responsibilities (3 kids, wife, job, life), it's next to impossible to schedule anything regularly with my friends for any meaningful amount of time (especially without being able to pause at will), so multiplayer is more or less off the table for me.

This being said, is there any way we can have like an HF "clan" or settlement type of thing? So when someone pops on by themselves, they still have someone to play with if they want to? Or is it all through a friends list?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I am expecting it to be like Destiny. You need online access to play the game, but you don't need gold or PS+ to actually play the game. I am thinking that gold and plus will result in bonus features like mods and such.

I'm pretty sure with Elder Scrolls Online, you NEED XBL or PS+ to play the game. I would assume F76 would be more like ESO in that regard.

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
This being said, is there any way we can have like an HF "clan" or settlement type of thing? So when someone pops on by themselves, they still have someone to play with if they want to? Or is it all through a friends list?
As I understand it, the number of people on a server is capped, so not sure if this could work, but I'll try anything to make it work. I'm a huge fan of Fallout...

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
I always knew this was going to happen after all the talk about a possible Fallout multiplayer all the way back in 08-09. With that said, I really ain't interested in this. Maybe slightly. Maybe.

Eventually it'll probably be more of a a battle royale with some building elements and stuff rather than anything resembling a multiplayer role playing game. Oh, and micro transactions because why not, someone is going to want to buy skins and shit for the game... :shakehead Fallout 4 was enjoyable but not a good RPG. Just let Obsidian do the next Fallout please.

Reactions: Kestrel

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC

Really had hoped they’d get it out sooner than that. Sounds like the lucky ones can get it early October while the rest get a few days toward the end of the month. Not optimistic they can work out kinks in that short of a time span

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
This soothes my fears considerably

Fallout 76 PvP Detailed, Aims for 'Danger Without Griefing' - IGN

If you randomly start attacking another player you will do significantly less damage, which Howard described as “slapping someone in a bar” to challenge them to a fight. The damage only scales to normal levels if they then attack you back as a response. If not, you continue doing tiny damage.

You can, however, still kill someone this way, but a player who does so is marked as a “wanted murderer.” Howard says that not only do they get no reward, Caps, experience, loot, or anything else for the kill, but a bounty is also added to their head and they are marked on the map for all to see. Meanwhile, that player can no longer see any player indicators on the minimap.

Howard said they wanted to “turn the assholes into interesting content” for other players. If a player with a bounty is killed, their killer earns a Cap reward paid directly from the murderer’s pocket, so there is an incentive both to play by the rules and hunt down

There are some other systems in place to cut down on griefing as well, like PvP not kicking in until level 5. Players will also have the ability to declare themselves as a “pacifist,” meaning their attacks won’t start PvP at all -- this is to prevent players jumping in front of someone's bullet to start a fight. You can choose to “ignore” specific players too, which hides you from each other on the map.

Players will also have the ability to declare themselves as a “pacifist,” meaning their attacks won’t start PvP at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad