Fallout 76

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
There’s been a big dump of gameplay videos today after an event at the Greenbrier Hotel last week. They’re out there if you want an appetizer to the Beta in two weeks

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
There’s been a big dump of gameplay videos today after an event at the Greenbrier Hotel last week. They’re out there if you want an appetizer to the Beta in two weeks

That's pretty cool that they held the event at the Greenbrier. What better place is there to show off a game about fallout shelters than the site of an actual fallout shelter? On top of that, it happens to be in West Virginia, which is the setting of the game.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The problem is that the gameplay videos are simply confirming what many people had feared.

The game looks terrible. It’s like they tried to do Elder Scrolls Online in the Fallout universe, but removed all the NPCs. So it’s just a bunch of other players emoting at each other, looking for something to do.

And then there’s the questionable gameplay decisions, like you can’t craft at a weapon/armor station if someone else is using it. So you have to wait in line to use them. Brilliant idea for an MMO.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
ill probably buy a beta key for a couple bucks but yeah, im starting to become skeptical. especially about no NPCs

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
So sad Fallout went this way. It was always one of my single-player games to fall back on time and time again. Will not buy.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
So sad Fallout went this way. It was always one of my single-player games to fall back on time and time again. Will not buy.

no doubt, when it was announced I was hoping it was a follow up title to FO4 like New Vegas was to FO3

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The more I hear about it, the less enthoused I get. But I'll still shell out the $70 bucks even though I despise the online community. Bethesda has produced three outstanding Fallouts prior to this one, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
no doubt, when it was announced I was hoping it was a follow up title to FO4 like New Vegas was to FO3

Yeah, my excitement went from very high when they showed the trailer, to very low when they used the words "online survival game".

I hope it's good.

I don't think this will be a day one buy for me, but stranger things have happened.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I adored Fallout 3! Absolutely love it. It is a masterpiece.

Fallout 4 was a let down, but still decent.

I couldn't possibly be less interested in this game.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I honestly did not like 3 as much as NV or 4.
3 was basically a new frontier as the game radically changed from 2 and became a FPS rpg/shooter. NV was basically 3, but with refined gameplay/story that they learned from making 3. 4 is still within the same philosophy, but just not quite as good.

76 is an online multiplayer game (like Rust). I'm guessing Beth didn't want to spend resources to tell a story and instead quickly jumped for the cash that this type of game could generate.
Personally I hope they fail badly, just to guarantee Fallout remains a single-player game.

Sony and their studios keep proving time and time again that single-player games have a very significant audience. Having an IP like Fallout go the EA way pisses me off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kestrel

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
3 was basically a new frontier as the game radically changed from 2 and became a FPS rpg/shooter. NV was basically 3, but with refined gameplay/story that they learned from making 3. 4 is still within the same philosophy, but just not quite as good.

76 is an online multiplayer game (like Rust). I'm guessing Beth didn't want to spend resources to tell a story and instead quickly jumped for the cash that this type of game could generate.
Personally I hope they fail badly, just to guarantee Fallout remains a single-player game.

Sony and their studios keep proving time and time again that single-player games have a very significant audience. Having an IP like Fallout go the EA way pisses me off.

Fallout 5 will go back to a single player game.

Bethesda has Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield coming, they havent abandoned single player games

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Fallout 5 will go back to a single player game.

Bethesda has Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield coming, they havent abandoned single player games
I guess my trust of game developers is just at an all time low with Blizzard WoW and then this travesty of a Fallout game.

FO5, it depends on how 76 does. ES6, what do we actually know about it other than that small panorama video? Nothing.

I guess I'm not just as optimistic.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I guess my trust of game developers is just at an all time low with Blizzard WoW and then this travesty of a Fallout game.

FO5, it depends on how 76 does. ES6, what do we actually know about it other than that small panorama video? Nothing.

I guess I'm not just as optimistic.

Bethesdas slogan is literally #saveplayerone

Reactions: Matias Maccete

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
:( I really hope they honor it regardless of what 76 makes.

Yeah it would be a shame for them to make multiplayer games that fans have been asking for for years just because you only like the single player games.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Yeah it would be a shame for them to make multiplayer games that fans have been asking for for years just because you only like the single player games.

Show me where Fallout fanbase wanted a Rust 2.0? I really want to see it. You seem to think that's what happened, so you must have some knowledge I do not have.

Better provide the link too if you're gonna use my love for single-player Fallout series as a negative.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Show me where Fallout fanbase wanted a Rust 2.0? I really want to see it. You seem to think that's what happened, so you must have some knowledge I do not have.

Better provide the link too if you're gonna use my love for single-player Fallout series as a negative.

It would be nearly impossible to go back to before F76 was announced and find articles or forum or blog posts about how many people wanted a multiplayer Fallout game, but it's been asked for for years. That's why they made it. Same as with Elder Scrolls and ESO. Just because YOU don't want a multiplayer Fallout game doesn't mean no one else did. And again, you can rest assured they will still make single player Fallout games (just like they're currently doing with Elder Scrolls).

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
It would be nearly impossible to go back to before F76 was announced and find articles or forum or blog posts about how many people wanted a multiplayer Fallout game, but it's been asked for for years. That's why they made it. Same as with Elder Scrolls and ESO. Just because YOU don't want a multiplayer Fallout game doesn't mean no one else did. And again, you can rest assured they will still make single player Fallout games (just like they're currently doing with Elder Scrolls).
Okay, so you can't be bothered to find even one link to back your claim. I thought you knew this for a fact.

That's fine to me.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Well people also want another isometric turn based Fallout game, did they ever make that? :p:

Seriously though, apart from the fact that you'll always be able to find someone who wants something, I don't think it's MMO TES/Fallout that some people were asking for, rather it was the ability to play the single player TES/Fallout games with their friends in a co-0p mode. And personally I say screw those people, it takes a ton of resources and design change to turn a single-player game into co-op, I'd rather they just avoid it.

This is an issue that's been around a long time especially in PC games. Whether it's a game like a TES or Civilization, around 90-95% of the player base only play the game single player. But if there isn't a multi-player compoment, that 5-10% who wanted it are REALLY REALLY LOUD about it. And pretty much every media review score will ding it saying 'but where's the multiplayer'? That's how you got that stretch of gaming maybe 10 years back where everything from big publishers had to have a multiplayer component, and then for a while that turned into co-op, and now forget single player games it's mostly just about multiplayer.

That said, the original poster talking about Bethesda doing this is out to lunch. You can worry about EA never making a proper single player Star Wars game, but you don't need to worry about Bethesda not making single player Elder Scrolls or Fallouts. They're one of the few companies that have made single player games a stronghold, and while they may release side MMO projects those don't really get in the way.

What you should be concerned about with Bethesda is them trying to dip into the modding pie, carving out what's always been free and putting a price on it.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Okay, so you can't be bothered to find even one link to back your claim. I thought you knew this for a fact.

That's fine to me.

Just because it would be impossible to find a link doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. If you want to be an ignorant idiot about it fine, but it doesn’t mean you’re right.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Seriously though, apart from the fact that you'll always be able to find someone who wants something, I don't think it's MMO TES/Fallout that some people were asking for, rather it was the ability to play the single player TES/Fallout games with their friends in a co-0p mode. And personally I say screw those people, it takes a ton of resources and design change to turn a single-player game into co-op, I'd rather they just avoid it.

This is an issue that's been around a long time especially in PC games. Whether it's a game like a TES or Civilization, around 90-95% of the player base only play the game single player. But if there isn't a multi-player compoment, that 5-10% who wanted it are REALLY REALLY LOUD about it. And pretty much every media review score will ding it saying 'but where's the multiplayer'? That's how you got that stretch of gaming maybe 10 years back where everything from big publishers had to have a multiplayer component, and then for a while that turned into co-op, and now forget single player games it's mostly just about multiplayer.

The simple truth is that it’s impossible to know what percentage of the playerbase wanted multiplayer, and then what percentage of that portion wanted an MMO, a co-op, or whatever other kind of multiplayer experience. However small or large that population was, the movement gained a lot of steam, and being that Bethesda can’t listen to the silent majority (because they aren’t saying anything), they kind of have to assume the vocal group speaks for a large enough portion of the population.

If your fans and critics are asking for multiplayer, not giving them multiplayer would be a great way to hurt your brand, even if you made it to the top on single player games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad