Fallout 76

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I’m pretty pumped for a Fallout Online. Definitely my kind of game. I just can’t stick with single player games anymore. Most of my enjoyment comes from talking with my friends regardless what we play. This should be good.

I understand it’s not for everyone though. This feels like they’re really testing their player base. I feel like they could’ve gotten away with making this a new IP. Probably wouldn’t sell as well though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Never played a Fallout game, thought about getting 4, but decided to pass in the end.

Now though, Fallout 76 looks like something I would actually love to play and spend time in.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Did Fallout 4 keep you glued to your screen?

Because I know what you mean otherwise, especially with 3 and New Vegas. But Fallout 4 bored me to no end. And many others. Many many many others.

Someone hates something about every Fallout.

When Fallout 2 came out, some people thought some of the humor and dark satire wasn't in keeping with the first Fallout game.

When Fallout 3 came out, some people said Bethesda crapped on the legacy of Fallout and created a totally different universe that had nothing in common with Fallout.

When Fallout: New Vegas came out, some people called it nothing more than a really big mod of Fallout 3 with no real advances in technology or capability.

When Fallout 4 came out, some people complained that it didn't break any new ground at all and that the settlement mechanics were annoying.

It just wouldn't be a Fallout game if people weren't already taking a dump all over Fallout '76 before it has even been released.

Last edited:

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I hope the online part doesn't affect the story being worthy of a Fallout game and my single-player experience.

As long as I can still just play single-player, I'm fine with online-mode for those who enjoy that.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I hope the online part doesn't affect the story being worthy of a Fallout game and my single-player experience.

As long as I can still just play single-player, I'm fine with online-mode for those who enjoy that.
The problem is that there are no NPCs except for some robots. So I'm curious to see how exactly they can tell a story without any npcs

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The problem is that there are no NPCs except for some robots. So I'm curious to see how exactly they can tell a story without any npcs

1. Get the water running.

2. Find 15 batches of wood.

3. Build an enclosed house.

4. Find a power source.

etc.

The actual gist of the game is for the players to make up their own Fallout factions and their own stories with one another.

The idea is fantastic - but the execution depends a lot on finding other people who share that vision and who don't just want to go along with it for awhile until they get bored and then flamethrower your entire base.

It would be cool to go to someone else's settlement and barter over hard to find resources etc.

The only way to REALLY make a game like that work is to have permanent-death which creates a little less incentive to just charge into someone's heavily-defended base and blow shit up.

As someone who enjoyed the settlement mechanic, I wouldn't mind playing with a buddy of mine who is similar, exploring around and setting up a base of some kind. I'm not sure if you will have settlers (seeing as there is a lack of human NPCs) which is a bit disappointing because seeing them go about their business was rewarding.

Reactions: tacogeoff

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
1. Get the water running.

2. Find 15 batches of wood.

3. Build an enclosed house.

4. Find a power source.

etc.
I guess, but that would feel more grindy than story telling. I'd imagine at some point they'll put in some kind of NPCs, maybe in DLC or something. Idk I want to like it, but I'm skeptical and I'm holding thoughts until I get my hands on it.

My biggest beef is I live in the middle of bumf*** nowhere with piss poor internet, which is extremely unstable so an online game only from one my favorite games to play offline because it's sometimes all i can play is a bit frustrating.. it's not that I don't want to play with other people, it's that a good chunk of the time, I can't.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I guess, but that would feel more grindy than story telling. I'd imagine at some point they'll put in some kind of NPCs, maybe in DLC or something. Idk I want to like it, but I'm skeptical and I'm holding thoughts until I get my hands on it.

The only storyline mechanic I can think of that could work is along the lines of the water purification chip or GECK that is sitting somewhere in the world with clues to find it.

Some kind of inanimate MacGuffin that you have to locate that will make your lives infinitely easier.

They said the world is 4 times the size of Fallout 4 so it could take awhile to discover.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The only storyline mechanic I can think of that could work is along the lines of the water purification chip or GECK that is sitting somewhere in the world with clues to find it.

Some kind of inanimate MacGuffin that you have to locate that will make your lives infinitely easier.
I'm sure we'll get some vault tec videos with instructions on what we're supposed to do :laugh:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I've got a wait and see approach here. I want to know how reliant multiplayer is. If I can play solo without issues, I'll get it. If the solo is obviously mangled without other people, I'll skip it.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Which is why it wont happen. Bethesda doesnt really accept NV as a Fallout game because they didnt make it. They have the power and money now to say "no" to letting other companies use the property.

I have tried to do this multiple times but cannot. Say what you want abut FO4, it brought a number of improvements to the franchise that make it very hard to go back.

This is what I’m worried about, I haven’t played 3 or NV since I played 4. :(

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It will be a long time before you see private rooms or mods.

I don't know. An instance in an MMO (ex. a dungeon instance) is private. Only you and whomever you invite in with you will be in it. Just imagine the entire world being instanced and it seems technically conceivable that each player could have the entire world to himself, if he wants. Imagine, then, being able to invite your friends to your instance, so that you can play co-op together without ever encountering another gamer who's not in your group. If Fallout 76 can manage to incorporate that capability, most of the angst should disappear.

It might even be the future of open world games. Eventually, they may all be online, even "single-player" games like The Elder Scrolls, but you'll have the choice of whether to play them solo (completely alone, just as if you're offline), in co-op with friends or with lots and lots of strangers. That could blur the distinction between single-player, co-op and massively multiplayer. They could all become the same except for how many other players you choose to allow into your experience.

Myst and many, many games since have told good stories without any NPCs, so it's possible, though telling a story through reading (as most of those have done) may not lend itself too well to an online game, so I'm still curious, like you.

Last edited:

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC

This seems to be diving a bit deeper into the game. I’m sure someone will come up with a summary at some point but thought I’d post for those curious

Big thing I just heard: There will be 24-30 people on the server but you will be able to see everyone on your map. I understand that decision is to bring about interaction but I can see that being TERRIBLE for solo players

They’re planning on having multiple free updates throughout the life of the game to add more content. There will be paid content but it is purely cosmetic items you can earn through gameplay as well

Last edited:
Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It sounds like they've taken some precautions against griefing. Whatever structures you build only exists when you're online, so you don't have to worry about other players wrecking it while offline.

And it sounds like they can damage your structures, but not completely destroy them while you're online.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Thanks, Novacane. That's a very nice documentary.

I liked the explanation for the location: "No one's gonna nuke West Virginia" :laugh:
(so they could have more trees, intact buildings, less rubble, etc.)

Also, it sounds like they're putting the entire state of West Virginia in the game. With there being only 24-30 players spread out over that large of an area, I see that being good for solo players. You could be the only player around for miles and, because you can see other players on your map, you can avoid them, if you want to. For example, if you want to be a hermit or explore by yourself, you could pull up the map and identify an area that no one else on the server is anywhere near and go there to explore or start your settlement.

Key points in the video:

02:20 - Origins of 76
08:30 - West Virginia
18:00 - Online gameplay
25:26 - # of players per server
27:37 - Endgame/nukes
33:35 - Starfield

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

This seems to be diving a bit deeper into the game. I’m sure someone will come up with a summary at some point but thought I’d post for those curious

Big thing I just heard: There will be 24-30 people on the server but you will be able to see everyone on your map. I understand that decision is to bring about interaction but I can see that being TERRIBLE for solo players

They’re planning on having multiple free updates throughout the life of the game to add more content. There will be paid content but it is purely cosmetic items you can earn through gameplay as well

The NoClip Doc has me excited when I was more skeptics. I’m still not super hyped, but it does look like it has the potential to be a lot of fun.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Honestly it sounds more that they are just more interested in “player” stories and not their own. So whatever player clans are doing, and their conflicts battling for each other’s bases like players do in Rust.

They want you hijacking people and stuff.

I am not expecting any kind of deep story.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, it sounds more like they're building a sandbox than providing a campaign like we're used to with the franchise. Todd Howard says early in the video that this is essentially Fallout 4's shelved multiplayer mode, so we should maybe think of it like that and not so much like a whole new Fallout game that's simply online.

I'm guessing that it'll be similar to most MMOs in that quests will exist to give players fun things to do and help them level up their characters more than to advance an epic, scripted story. After all, the problem with having a scripted story is that there's a beginning and an end, which not the best thing for an online game. Bethesda doesn't want us to stop playing after we've put in 50 hours and "beaten" the game. They mention that they wanted the endgame to be "repeatable" (i.e. not like the endings of single-player Fallout games), so they came up with using nukes being the endgame... but it's also not really an endgame because you can then harvest rare materials from the nuked areas to make yourself and your settlement stronger so that you can then try to acquire launch codes for other silos and do it all over again. That sounds more like an achievement than an ending to a story.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Plus any quests most likely will be window dressing for collecting mats and loot.

Like just some flavor around a “kill giant mutant bat for new gun” stuff.

I also am fully expecting cosmetic loot boxes at some point. It just seems to obvious to add, and even if people complain they will still drop currency on them.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Preordered the Power Armor Edition. Not really sure how I feel about it being all online but I'm excited to give it a try.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad