Fallout 76

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Big feeling this game is going to suck. Pretty much a guarantee it's going to be filled with bugs and glitches, and I can't justify paying $80 for basically one mode.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Seriously though, apart from the fact that you'll always be able to find someone who wants something, I don't think it's MMO TES/Fallout that some people were asking for, rather it was the ability to play the single player TES/Fallout games with their friends in a co-0p mode. And personally I say screw those people, it takes a ton of resources and design change to turn a single-player game into co-op, I'd rather they just avoid it.
I'm one of those people who would have loved to had a co-op mode, but I certainly never campaigned for it. I just resigned myself to the fact that a decent co-op mode that didn't ultimately take away from how I wanted the single player game to be likely wasn't going to happen. For me, the single player experience in these games definitely trumps any kind of multiplayer mode, and I tend to think the majority of the FO/ES community is similarly minded.

Sep 19, 2008
I'm one of those people who would have loved to had a co-op mode, but I certainly never campaigned for it. I just resigned myself to the fact that a decent co-op mode that didn't ultimately take away from how I wanted the single player game to be likely wasn't going to happen. For me, the single player experience in these games definitely trumps any kind of multiplayer mode, and I tend to think the majority of the FO/ES community is similarly minded.

I heard a lot of criticism about 76 because "Fallout was not meant to be an online experience and you were supposed to be a lone survivor" despite the fact that most of the other fallout games literally had other NPC's that you interacted with :laugh:

76 is going to be pretty awesome especially when you can band together with 3 or so other people online. I am thinking of creating a HF club where we can team up and explore West Virginia.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Big feeling this game is going to suck. Pretty much a guarantee it's going to be filled with bugs and glitches, and I can't justify paying $80 for basically one mode.

Wait for it to go on sale. It's a Bethesda game, it'll be half off in a couple months.
Also, the main series games are all only "one mode" too, so I'm not sure how that's a knock.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Wait for it to go on sale. It's a Bethesda game, it'll be half off in a couple months.
Also, the main series games are all only "one mode" too, so I'm not sure how that's a knock.
Yea one mode wasn't the right term. $80 for only an online coop mode which can be played solo but you're going to have a bad time, isn't really worth it. The other games you can put hundreds of hours into it and still find new things/ways to play, and we're able to mod the shit out of it.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I don't know. Fallout games are my favourite games by a large margin. I get both sides of it.

I remember when Fallout 3 came out, and to this day my favourite game ever. I remember wishing it had online, maybe co-op, but I remember thinking online for sure. A world of other players, what could go wrong?

Insert 10 years of online games.

Now I'm like "ehhh. I don't know man" People online are always assholes. Always. I think the only game that actually makes online play enjoyable is Rockband, because you're all in it together. There's no fun to some dumbass to ruin it. I seriously cannot think in those 10 years of a game that was actually made better by having online. GTA V seemed fun off the start, look where that went. That's about the only one I could think of.
VR games are about the only ones that benefit from it, for whatever reason face to face even in avatars, people generally don't have the keyboard courage and just be themselves.

So why do developers think "Oh we need to socially engage everyone!"? Then the best games are the ones that have no online. 75-90% of people buying Fallout 76 are hoping for private servers ASAP.

Sep 19, 2008
The online aspect isn't as bad as many here think it is. Many people think online players are just your typical tweens or adolescents or trolls but that isn't the case. Again, if you have an organized group of people like a HFBoards batallion you can eliminate that factor. Honestly I think it would be fun to explore West virginia with other people from this message board. Plus you can build a fort and protect yourself against other people. Yes, there's an element of griefing and hacking online that you wouldn't get offline. But damn it, don't let that distract you from the exciting potential of this game.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I was pretty sure I'd be a full pass on this one with it being an online game, but if there is an active HF group I may end up getting it down the road. I assume PC will be the larger crowd here?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Yeah I wouldn't want to take away anyone's fun, I just don't think it's feasible to do this with Elder Scrolls/Fallout without impacting the single player game, and I don't think a lot of the people wanting it realize that.

I could be wrong but I'd think to have the power to run one of these games with multiple people you probably couldn't do it on a lone console/PC but need some good servers, because you're looking at expanding the range of the active player bubble for each person in there. To justify running servers to play it though you need to have a lot of people on it make it an MMO, and when you go that direction the game design changes. I haven't been able to play it from what I understand ES:O is more MMO and less a TES game with other people.

However taking a look at Fallout 76 I do feel they're getting close to the mark.

Reactions: Kestrel

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Watching Twitch streams of it, I can see what they were trying to do. But if they had simply put their efforts into a Borderlands-like Co-op in the Fallout universe, they probably would have been much more successful.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Yeah I wouldn't want to take away anyone's fun, I just don't think it's feasible to do this with Elder Scrolls/Fallout without impacting the single player game, and I don't think a lot of the people wanting it realize that.

I could be wrong but I'd think to have the power to run one of these games with multiple people you probably couldn't do it on a lone console/PC but need some good servers, because you're looking at expanding the range of the active player bubble for each person in there. To justify running servers to play it though you need to have a lot of people on it make it an MMO, and when you go that direction the game design changes. I haven't been able to play it from what I understand ES:O is more MMO and less a TES game with other people.

However taking a look at Fallout 76 I do feel they're getting close to the mark.
I wouldn't have minded the old style connect with friends, and let one host the game on his computer while everyone else connects via internet/LAN kind of multiplayer. I don't know how that works on console though - when I think of games like this, I sometimes forget that they're not really PC-centric.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Watching Twitch streams of it, I can see what they were trying to do. But if they had simply put their efforts into a Borderlands-like Co-op in the Fallout universe, they probably would have been much more successful.

You can't micro transaction that though. They're late to the game but god dammit, they're going to get in the nickel and dime game.

It's just funny from a company that's success was based on solo RPGs and had their campaign of #saveplayerone to come out with something like this. I agree a Borderlands style would be cool.

This... who knows. I'll be playing it on day one but I fully expect to be entirely annoyed by it. Scavenging around looking for quests only to have some "xXxSnipeBeavers69" run in yelling "yo you got a mic Racial Slur?" "Let's go this way, lets go this way" and get us instant killed, while playing some mumble rap. Also a ton of black characters with blond beards. Every single online game for the last 11 years.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
That preemptive strike makes it sound like this game might be their glitchiest yet. I guess that makes sense since their games have (mostly?) been offline experiences.

I thought an online Fallout game could be interesting, but this sounds like it's going to be a complete mess. Too bad, but maybe they'll at least feel like they have to go all out on the next Elder Scrolls game to win people back if this is a disaster.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
stayed up to play the beta and bethesda launcher wants me to redownload the entire game I preloaded. f*** that.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I got on the beta for about an hour and a half, and my first impression was that it might have actually been even more lonely than a normal fallout game, I only bumped into a few other players mostly around the vault entrance. Nobody being an A-hole

I was very pleasantly surprised

Reactions: HFBCommenter

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I cancelled my pre-order about a half hour ago...even with a free steelbook, and getting the game for $48 through BB's gamer's club...the launcher deleting data files used for the beta test is the most Bethesda thing ever. I get needing to stress test the servers, but they can't even get a timer to work correctly...woo boy.

Also, I avoided watching any and all content related to the game up until this morning, and it looks exactly like FO4/Skyrim, which isn't all bad, but after playing Detroit Become Human over the weekend, my desire to go back to using that old ass engine in 2018 has gone out the window. I can just fire up my modded FO4, and have it run all janky on my PC without spending more money too.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

When it rains it pours:

Welcome to 5 reasons not to use an engine that you made entirely open and provided all the tools needed to mod that engine in an online game. Oh and how to entirely not secure anything for your users.

I am as much a Fallout and Bethesda fan as everyone else, I've sunk around 4000 hours into Fallout4 and have been making mods for about 2 years. So when I got into the PC Beta and it allowed me to download the client and files, I started playing with them.

Number 1: There are no server checks to verify models or file integrity. Want to make trees smaller, or player models bright colors to see them easier? Go right ahead, here are the tools to do it!

Number 2: Terrain and invisible walls/collision is client side! Want to walk through walls? Open up that beautiful .esm file and edit it. The server doesn't care or check!

Number 3: Want to save money on server hardware and make ping a little more manageable? Go ahead and open up client to client communication but don't encrypt it or obfuscate it in anyway. Open up Wireshark while playing and nab anyone's IP you want! Send packets to the server to auto use consumables, all very nicely and in plain text! Even get health info and player location, why waste time injecting the executable and getting nabbed by anti-cheat when you can get all info from the network!

Number 4: Want to grief people and be a God? Go ahead and keep looping the packet captured in Wireshark reporting you gave full HP. Why would the server care about something as little and not game breaking like this?!?! It's a great idea to let the client tell the server it's state and the server not check anything it's being told! The possibilities with this are endless and probably able to just give yourself items by telling the server you picked it up!

Number 5: Someone in your game being mean? Again have Wireshark? Well let's just forge a packet with the disconnect command in it and knock them offline!

In conclusion: Bethesda should not have just made Fallout76 by throwing mods on it from Nexus and sold it as a new game. Have fun in the wasteland gamers.​

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
4000 hours into Fallout 4?! How? That game was boring beyond belief.

76 just seems like a buggy, shitty version of Rust. It's basically just a griefing simulator.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
4000 hours into Fallout 4?! How? That game was boring beyond belief.

76 just seems like a buggy, ****ty version of Rust. It's basically just a griefing simulator.

I played Fallout 4 on console, so I have no idea how much time I've played it, but I've done each of the factions questlines, as well as f***ed around in general (as you do in Bethesda games). I wouldn't be surprised if I'm up there in time logged

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad