GDT: Fall Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
This is where we differ I guess. But fair points.

I think you can skimp on the bottom pair if you have a strong established top 4 - but I don't think you can cut corners further up than that. Especially not for the sake of wingers who are generally far more easily replaced than C/D.

Ultimately if everything goes to plan I see a top 6 in 2/3 years of Eichel, Hall, Skinner, Cozens, Quinn & maybe one of VO/Skinner. There isn't going to be room for both.

I definitely would prefer the quality forwards that are paid be centers rather than wingers. Maybe its Sam's center tendencies for me:laugh:

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I definitely would prefer the quality forwards that are paid be centers rather than wingers. Maybe its Sam's center tendencies for me:laugh:

Some of you guys on this forum will be taking that last thought to the grave... :laugh:

I do think we need a better 3C than EAKIN moving forward, FWIW. I just don't see Sam as that guy at this point. He is what he is.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Some of you guys on this forum will be taking that last thought to the grave... :laugh:

I do think we need a better 3C than EAKIN moving forward, FWIW. I just don't see Sam as that guy at this point. He is what he is.

Given that they just signed Eakin, likely for the 3C spot, I doubt you see the Sabres make a move at that spot. Maybe they do, but I'm not expecting it.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Risto would 100% be out if we brought in Schmidt. Would need a 3rd team willing to give up futures for RR that we turn around and sent to VGK for Nate

Risto isn't getting moved short of a crazy overpayment. It's Miller or Montour imo.

You could bring Schmidt in for one of those 2 but at 6m/per I doubt we are going to fit Reinhart, VO & a goalie upgrade under the cap even for this season - let alone after Dahlin has got paid.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Risto isn't getting moved short of a crazy overpayment. It's Miller or Montour imo.

You could bring Schmidt in for one of those 2 but at 6m/per I doubt are not going to fit Reinhart, VO & a goalie upgrade under the cap even for this season - let alone after Dahlin has got paid.
Why the attachment to Risto? Adams must see that NS is an upgrade at a weak area of the team. Risto or Montour is redundant to me

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Why the attachment to Risto? Adams must see that NS is an upgrade at a weak area of the team. Risto or Montour is redundant to me

Krueger really likes & trusts him.

I think he'd have moved last summer very easily but something happened between player & coach.

He's also nowhere near as bad a player as most in this forum like to portray IMO. I still feel like people judge him unfairly as the stud #1 he was built up to be. He's not that but can still be an effective player.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
Given that they just signed Eakin, likely for the 3C spot, I doubt you see the Sabres make a move at that spot. Maybe they do, but I'm not expecting it.

I agree, though there is lots of time between now and the start of the year so it wouldn't shock me if the Sabres add another centre. I still think a deal like Montour or Miller to a team like Calgary for a Derek Ryan type centre makes some sense and would solidify our bottom six.

Right now though the Sabres have 3 veteran centres (Eichel / Staal / Eakin) and a pretty large cast of guys who could potentially fill the 3rd or 4th line centre role depending how camp shakes out, whenever that occurs. Lazar / Asplund / Girgs (if that makes the most sense) / Ruotsalainen (who shouldn't be discounted) / Cozens or Mittelstadt (if they earn the #3 spot and can be given supportive vet line-mates). As much as I would prefer that we had kept Larsson for the 4th C role to go with Eichel / Staal / Eakin, it is still the case that our centre situation looks far better today than it did 2 months ago.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
1. Montour was just signed to a new deal. If he's moved it wont be until the deadline.
2. Ralph likes Risto. He aint going anywhere either.

Considering he could have went to Arb and declines for a small raise over his QO, I'd almost say its more likely for him to get moved

Think about the logic in declining his arbitration. He almost certainly would have gotten more in Arb. Why sign and save the Sabres money? Is he a nice guy?

My guess is the Sabres told him that him electing Arb makes it harder for them to trade him.

I'd actually expect a Montour deal shortly after Pietrangelo signs and Schmidt is moved.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Considering he could have went to Arb and declines for a small raise over his QO, I'd almost say its more likely for him to get moved

Think about the logic in declining his arbitration. He almost certainly would have gotten more in Arb. Why sign and save the Sabres money? Is he a nice guy?

My guess is the Sabres told him that him electing Arb makes it harder for them to trade him.

I'd actually expect a Montour deal shortly after Pietrangelo signs and Schmidt is moved.

Or, his agent could have read the tea leaves. If he waited until arbitration, he would have likely gotten awarded more than $4.5M, in which case the Sabres could have walked away. You see how the FA market is going , there isn't a ton of money going around, and by the time arbitration happens, there will be even less, and he would likely not have been able to get close to what he got from Buffalo.

Bird in the hand..

Reactions: joshjull

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Or, his agent could have read the tea leaves. If he waited until arbitration, he would have likely gotten awarded more than $4.5M, in which case the Sabres could have walked away. You see how the FA market is going , there isn't a ton of money going around, and by the time arbitration happens, there will be even less, and he would likely not have been able to get close to what he got from Buffalo.

Bird in the hand..
Yep. His camp would know it’s a gamble to go to arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad