Dreger: Fair to say brassard has played last game with Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
That is such BS about the Pens not trading for Grabner because they wanted to save assets for Brassard. A second round pick and an average prospect would be such small parts to a Brassard deal.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Weird. I definitely think Brassard > Little

I'd disagree. Little has had injury problems throughout his career which I feel brings them closer to even value, but I'd say Little is the better player.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
That is such BS about the Pens not trading for Grabner because they wanted to save assets for Brassard. A second round pick and an average prospect would be such small parts to a Brassard deal.

I took that form a cap perspective its hard to trade picks and prospects for both players

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

(Dealing in full cap hits, since it's easier to wrap my head around.)

With the Penguins 1.7M prorated cap at the deadline, they'd have to clear 3.3M in order to add Brassard. That's a legit hurdle. Sheary comes close, but close isn't good enough and maybe they don't want to move him and Ottawa doesn't want him as "value" in a Brassard return. Hagelin does it. Hunwick and Cole aren't enough.

I am guessing, Ottawa would have to retain salary on Brassard to make it work for the Penguins.

Here's an outside the box solution. The Senators retain on Brassard with a handshake agreement that the Penguins will make it up to them by taking the last year of Burrows contract in the summer.

So the trade would look like this from a cap/salary perspective....

Derick Brassard @ 3.45M (1.55M retained)
for
Cole or Hunwick approx. 2M
(Whatever future assets picks/prospects Sens are getting)

Pens take on 1.45M cap space, they have about 1.7M right now, that checks out....

So in the summer, the Penguins then take on Burrows for future considerations. They can either waive him and get 950k of cap relief, or play him on their fourth line and save 650k-950 by not having to fill that roster spot on their 23 man roster.

2.5M-.950k=1.55M....so the same thing the Senators retained on Brassard. Everybody is made whole in the end cap wise, and the Penguins get to add Brassard.

It's a bit outside the box, but we saw TOR/ANA agree to a similar deal with ANA didn't acquire Bernier who was speculated to be part of a bigger trade until later on so that TOR could pay his signing bonus.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The easy solution to make the cap work with the Penguins is to trade Sheary to a team who needs a complementary top-9 winger for draft picks or prospects (Edmonton stands out as a fit) and include Hunwick in the Brassard trade. It doesn't seem overly complicated.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
(Dealing in full cap hits, since it's easier to wrap my head around.)

With the Penguins 1.7M prorated cap at the deadline, they'd have to clear 3.3M in order to add Brassard. That's a legit hurdle. Sheary comes close, but close isn't good enough and maybe they don't want to move him and Ottawa doesn't want him as "value" in a Brassard return. Hagelin does it. Hunwick and Cole aren't enough.

I am guessing, Ottawa would have to retain salary on Brassard to make it work for the Penguins.

Here's an outside the box solution. The Senators retain on Brassard with a handshake agreement that the Penguins will make it up to them by taking the last year of Burrows contract in the summer.

So the trade would look like this from a cap/salary perspective....

Derick Brassard @ 3.45M (1.55M retained)
for
Cole or Hunwick approx. 2M
Pens take on 1.45M cap space, they have about 1.7M right now, that checks out....

So in the summer, the Penguins then take on Burrows for future considerations. They can either waive him and get 950k of cap relief, or play him on their fourth line and save 650k-950 by not having to fill that roster spot on their 23 man roster.

2.5M-.950k=1.55M....so the same thing the Senators retained on Brassard. Everybody is made whole in the end cap wise, and the Penguins get to add Brassard.

It's a bit outside the box, but we saw TOR/ANA agree to a similar deal with ANA didn't acquire Bernier who was speculated to be part of a bigger trade until later on so that TOR could pay his signing bonus.

What is Ottawa getting here? Just out of the Burrows contract?

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
The easy solution to make the cap work with the Penguins is to trade Sheary to a team who needs a complementary top-9 winger for draft picks or prospects (Edmonton stands out as a fit) and include Hunwick in the Brassard trade. It doesn't seem overly complicated.
Yes, the Sabres make sense

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
giphy.gif

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

To clarify, I was just talking about the cap assets with Hunwick and Cole. OTT would obviously get a 1st+Prospect+whatever else for Brassard. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

Basically, they make the Brassard trade as they otherwise would, Ottawa retains 1.55M on Brassard with both sides agreeing under the table that in the summer when Pittsburgh is gonna have more cap flexibility they will take on Burrows contract to essentially reimburse the Senators for that 1.55M of retained cap since Burrows is a cap dump at this point.

Burrows cap hit is 2.5M, but if he doesn't make Pittsburgh's roster they get 950k of cap relief. If he does make their roster, they don't have to pay an additional player 650-950k. So that's where the 1.55M number comes from.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

His post was about getting the cap to work, not value

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Hope this is Carolina or someone else. Pittsburgh's assets just aren't that enticing and Ottawa won't want salary back.
Pens are probably one of the few teams willing to overpay, you should hope it's Pittsburgh. Sprong is 20 and a ppg player in the AHL and Gustavsson was a 2nd rounder in 2016 who is progressing well. The rumored deal would be basically the equivalent of two 1sts and a 2nd for Brassard.

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
Well which is it!!! I cannot remember when the Blues have ever been so close to the middle of buyer or sellers.... Crazy season this year. P.S. I do not think he pushes into contention and whatever I would feel comfortable giving up would be easily beat by a contender, so I will pass.

I understand wanting to replace Staz next year but I don’t think brassard is the person to do it. He is a good player no doubt but the blues still will have a hole at wing with someone who can shoot and put the puck in the back of the net. I’d rather give up a little more and get Hoffman or figure out what’s going on in Montreal and get patches. I’d deal with missing a center I’d Staz doesn’t resign and we lose out on tavares on July 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig