Prospect Info: Fabian Lysell

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have my doubts on Lysell. But the other night has no impact on them at all.

i know some people wanted him up in the NHL last year, but I never saw that, and based on his 22/23 season, i have zero expectations for him playing a game in the NHL this year. He has a lot of development left to do as a player.

I do think he is a top 6 or bust guy. It is nice to hear he was playing hard in his own zone last night, but I don't think that will ever be the strength of his game.

Would I move him in the right package. Yeah, if someone overpays for what he could be

Reactions: Gordoff

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
Oh really now. Do tell. Behavior problems?

Behavior is perhaps the wrong word

Maybe more so he has higher highs and lower lows? Seemed to have completely psyched himself out during and after the WJC this year after a semi demotion during the WJC.

I watched every game he played during the last two WJC and noticed his diminished role and playing time. He also was scoring at a blistering pace going into it and then just simply wasn’t after.

I’m a huge Lysell fan and have been for a long time, but there’s a somewhat logjam ahead of him and he may not get top six time in the big leagues—which is what he needs in my opinion.

He’s also our biggest trade chip, so if we can use him to get a center I’d be interested.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I think the thing with Lysell is that he really does need high end talent around him.

I used to think he would be able to ease into the league in a bottom six role since his motor is absolutely nuts…but now I’m not so sure.

He definitely has chemistry issues, bordering on behavior problems (at least from an outside perspective)

I would be comfortable dishing him at this juncture if he can’t get his way.
I think you are over thinking this a little. Lets give that kid at least another year before we start forming conclusions about his future.

All that kid needs is patience and time. He's 20. He's not David Pastrnak, so people should stop trying to force him on the same schedule that Pasta followed.

Jake DeBrusk had a lot of teething pains early in his career as well.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
They might have been testing Lysell…

Poitras played with two really good NHL players in JDB & JVR.
Richard played with two established NHL players in Frederic & Geekie.
Beecher played with two NHL players in Greer and Brown.

Lysell played with fellow rookie Harrison and AHL‘er Megna.

Maybe that was deliberate. I certainly think they played Poitras with good players to boost his confidence, as they should. That was deliberate. I think Richard and Beecher were being tried out in the roles they are competiting for. That was deliberate.

What was the point or message being sent to Lysell and Harrison? We think you’re good enough to play without NHL’ers? Or… We want to see if Lysell can carry a line? Or… Maybe they’re not happy with Lysell sucking wind the first week and were demoting him, sending the message that he needs to work harder? He certainly played hard. He didn’t lack for effort in that game. Actually, now that I think about it, on Saturday they flipped Lysell and Steen, who’s been praised for his hard work in camp. So maybe it was a punishment, or a message to work harder.
I trust this coaching staff to build guys up & not break them down so I don't think the Lysell placement last night was anything nefarious. I think part of it was just limited options, but also suspect they were trying to teach him how to be effective with less skilled players because he's gonna have a harder time breaking into the top 6 than a guy like Poitras. If Lysell had to fill in on the 4th line in Boston, could he be effective? I think maybe the idea was just to force him to learn how to contribute without skilled NHLers elevating him.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I trust this coaching staff to build guys up & not break them down so I don't think the Lysell placement last night was anything nefarious. I think part of it was just limited options, but also suspect they were trying to teach him how to be effective with less skilled players because he's gonna have a harder time breaking into the top 6 than a guy like Poitras. If Lysell had to fill in on the 4th line in Boston, could he be effective? I think maybe the idea was just to force him to learn how to contribute without skilled NHLers elevating him.
I agree. I didn’t mean to suggest it was anything nefarious. Just that, not all lessons are easy/fun. When Lysell was 18 he got the two star treatment to boost his confidence like Poitras. Now he’s 20 and they’re giving him harder obstacles to overcome and harder lessons to learn.

Bad Hat Harry

Michael Scarn
Sep 27, 2010
Boston, MA
We’ve done an excellent job developing picks and prospects. I have full faith in them.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
He's really close to putting it all together. He could definitely use some seasoning in the AHL.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Not ready for the NHL.

Needs to fill out and brighten up relative to oncoming hits.

From those in the know, not good without the puck.

Send him down to Providence. If he plays well, bring him up for a twirl.

If he's still looking iffy next season, it may be time to deal.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
I haven't seen a ton of Lysell play but from what I've seen he has high-end talent but not high-end hockey IQ. Whereas Poitras shows a really high-end IQ at this point that immediately jumps out at you. Not writing the kid off but I don't think he's ready yet. Hopefully he figures it out.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
What they should do next game is place Lysell with Zacha and Marchand and have Poitras centering Joey Abate and Vincent Arseneau,see if the results are similar

Lysell could learn a lot from Marchand in the offensive zone. Perhaps a captain obvious statement, Lysell has the skating skills to incorporate a lot of Marchand’s play style when the team has possession in the offensive zone.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Ignorance?
lol, really? That's a pretty big brush you're painting a lot of posters with who have watched him not step up his game (so far) to a degree that currently warrants hype of him making the big club this year. Nothing wrong with a bit of seasoning in the AHL. I get being a fan boy, he's got tools but I doubt they burn a year of his entry level with what he's shown so far, they have other options.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
lol, really? That's a pretty big brush you're painting a lot of posters with who have watched him not step up his game (so far) to a degree that currently warrants hype of him making the big club this year. Nothing wrong with a bit of seasoning in the AHL. I get being a fan boy, he's got tools but I doubt they burn a year of his entry level with what he's shown so far, they have other options.
There's a huge gap between needing a second year in the AHL as a 20 year old and a JAG as was described above. Borderline behavioral issues. Etc. I don't think many of the people labeling him as heading towards bust territory, or low IQ, or anything like that have actually watched him much. Thus, the ignorance.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
There's a huge gap between needing a second year in the AHL as a 20 year old and a JAG as was described above. Borderline behavioral issues. Etc. I don't think many of the people labeling him as heading towards bust territory, or low IQ, or anything like that have actually watched him much. Thus, the ignorance.
I literally just went back 5 pages and no one actually called him a JAG, this is just another example of creating a false narrative of what was actually said ...he's got tool, just hasn't put it together

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I literally just went back 5 pages and no one actually called him a JAG, this is just another example of creating a false narrative of what was actually said ...he's got tool, just hasn't put it together
The post i literally replied to was this:

"how did this guy go from so much hype to JAG status?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad