Prospect Info: Fabian Lysell

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I gotta rewatch this and just focus on him - I thought he was great getting back and picking up his guy

Someone was paying attention in GDT (apologies I don’t have who posted it) but if you watch the Greer - Harper fight it interrupts Lysell making a tremendous play

The skill is there I saw it in Providence if he is that quick and responsible with awareness this will work out well

Going to evaluate his shifts today because I was watching the puck but I don’t feel I saw what many here did

All the tools are undoubtedly there. He has speed to burn, puck skill, soft touch and offensive vision. The question is the toolbox. I see a hockey sense issue, which is a big problem in today's NHL. He plays the game more as an individual than as part of a five man unit.

I think some of this could be fixed with some stronger coaching. One thing I've noticed about Lysell is he is quite strong and has the potential to be very strong for his size, sort of like Marchand and Samsonov. He needs to play more like a classic NHL winger, where he utilizes the give and go and plays more North-South and in traffic. He can generate plenty of offense just be getting a step on his defender and driving wide, or by protecting the puck and cycling in the offensive zone.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It’s easier to look great playing with JVR and DeBrusk than Harrison and Megna. I can’t tell if he has Kapanen or Grabner IQ issues or if he needs to play with better players that can keep up with him. What I do know is that it’s turnover city when he plays with talent beneath him.

Would like to see him get a game with Marchand this preseason.

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
All the tools are undoubtedly there. He has speed to burn, puck skill, soft touch and offensive vision. The question is the toolbox. I see a hockey sense issue, which is a big problem in today's NHL. He plays the game more as an individual than as part of a five man unit.

I think some of this could be fixed with some stronger coaching. One thing I've noticed about Lysell is he is quite strong and has the potential to be very strong for his size, sort of like Marchand and Samsonov. He needs to play more like a classic NHL winger, where he utilizes the give and go and plays more North-South and in traffic. He can generate plenty of offense just be getting a step on his defender and driving wide, or by protecting the puck and cycling in the offensive zone.

I see a poor mans Lucas Raymond, to use a comp from Sweden.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015

Pretty much sums it up as I see it as well. Everyone wants to see him succeed and some put blinders on to his flaws in hopes he breaks camps with the Bruins this year and contributes.... hasn't shown it thus far and your analysis of being more individual then team might be his biggest flaw that he can work on in Providence ... I'd sure pick him for my pond hockey team but not for the big club this year...yet

Reactions: GordonHowe

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Yeh I see this as well - going to 2 early Providence games with @Saxon Eric in October so if he’s down I’ll be tracking him

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
A bit on brand for a 20 year old highly skilled offensive minded winger with one (1) professional season under his belt to be hammered so much on here. Especially when he doesn’t get to play with NHL players.
I agree but he's not being hammered really, it's just being pointed out that he currently looks like he is not ready for the big club, needs more AHL seasoning to work on his game. It's not a witch hunt, it's just couching expectations for this year based on his performance in training camp, prospects challenge and last nights game.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I agree but he's not being hammered really, it's just being pointed out that he currently looks like he is not ready for the big club, needs more AHL seasoning to work on his game. It's not a witch hunt, it's just couching expectations for this year based on his performance in training camp, prospects challenge and last nights game.
The kid's not ready yet. If he was, he'd show it. Burying him on the 4th line at the NHL level isn't going to do him any favors, either. Patience, people. That banana is still too green.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The kid's not ready yet. If he was, he'd show it. Burying him on the 4th line at the NHL level isn't going to do him any favors, either. Patience, people. That banana is still too green.

Unless he somehow starts playing significantly better, he isn't making the roster
barring numerous injuries. Just too many bigger, better players than him.

Some people may be watching Poitras accelerate past him so far and be thinking
why is he being outplayed so significantly, by a year younger 2nd round pick?

I wasn't very impressed by Lysell the last prospects game and was by the last game Poitras played in Buffalo. Last night the same story.

That being said, there is still what 5 more games for him to raise his play and
put himself in contention but his last two outings are leaving something to be desired.

Reactions: Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
He needs to play more like a classic NHL winger, where he utilizes the give and go and plays more North-South and in traffic.
You can’t give and go by yourself. He did a lot of that in camp this week with Marchand, but it didn’t look like his line mates were looking for those types of plays last night.

Not to put it all on his linemates. He didn’t have a great game and that’s on him. I just think the sample is a little small to be drawing conclusions.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
You can’t give and go by yourself. He did a lot of that in camp this week with Marchand, but it didn’t look like his line mates were looking for those types of plays last night.
I'm willing to give him more of a pass based on his linemates but I want to see him with more complementary players to see what he can do. I think he'll end up in Providence to start the season and it isn't a bad thing.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
A bit on brand for a 20 year old highly skilled offensive minded winger with one (1) professional season under his belt to be hammered so much on here. Especially when he doesn’t get to play with NHL players.
History loves to repeat itself…

Didn’t Lysell put up 3 points in his first pre-season game against the Rangers at MSG? We were all abuzz about him after that one.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
History loves to repeat itself…

Didn’t Lysell put up 3 points in his first pre-season game against the Rangers at MSG? We were all abuzz about him after that one.
He also made a fantastic play in the prospects game using his east-west skating to open space and feed Merk for the pass on Topo’s goal. Everyone seems perpetually disappointed in him. It’s crazy to me, given his age, his skating ability, and his top 6 potential.

Reactions: NDiesel

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

Not to put it all on his linemates. He didn’t have a great game and that’s on him. I just think the sample is a little small to be drawing conclusions.

Yeah, I think playing with top talent would draw the best out of Lysell and may be the proper way to evaluate him. It might do him some good to have linemates he is inclined to defer to. The catch-22 is that he has to earn this right.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
He also made a fantastic play in the prospects game using his east-west skating to open space and feed Merk for the pass on Topo’s goal. Everyone seems perpetually disappointed in him. It’s crazy to me, given his age, his skating ability, and his top 6 potential.
Yeah, I thought he had a lot of those give and go type plays during the prospect showcase.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Yeah, I think playing with top talent would draw the best out of Lysell and may be the proper way to evaluate him. It might do him some good to have linemates he is inclined to defer to. The catch-22 is that he has to earn this right.
They might have been testing Lysell…

Poitras played with two really good NHL players in JDB & JVR.
Richard played with two established NHL players in Frederic & Geekie.
Beecher played with two NHL players in Greer and Brown.

Lysell played with fellow rookie Harrison and AHL‘er Megna.

Maybe that was deliberate. I certainly think they played Poitras with good players to boost his confidence, as they should. That was deliberate. I think Richard and Beecher were being tried out in the roles they are competiting for. That was deliberate.

What was the point or message being sent to Lysell and Harrison? We think you’re good enough to play without NHL’ers? Or… We want to see if Lysell can carry a line? Or… Maybe they’re not happy with Lysell sucking wind the first week and were demoting him, sending the message that he needs to work harder? He certainly played hard. He didn’t lack for effort in that game. Actually, now that I think about it, on Saturday they flipped Lysell and Steen, who’s been praised for his hard work in camp. So maybe it was a punishment, or rather, a message to work harder.

Last edited:

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Feels "potentially" like Ryan Donato career incoming. Which is fine. But maybe a similar trajectory and story even. It's also possible Ryan has some growth left in him too.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I'd package him for pinto right now but doubt sens bite.

IMG_8078.jpeg
IMG_8077.jpeg
IMG_8075.jpeg

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
They also might have been testing Lysell…

Poitras played with two really good NHL players in JDB & JVR.
Richard played with two established NHL players in Frederic & Geekie.
Beecher played with two NHL players in Greer and Brown.

Lysell played with fellow rookie Harrison and AHL‘er Megna.

Maybe that was deliberate. I certainly think they played Poitras with good players to boost his confidence, as they should. That was deliberate. I think Richard and Beecher were being tried out in the roles they are competiting for. That was deliberate.

What was the point or message being sent to Lysell and Harrison? We think you’re good enough to play without NHL’ers? Or… We want to see if Lysell can carry a line? Or… Maybe they’re not happy with Lysell sucking wind the first week and were demoting him, sending the message that he needs to work harder? He certainly played hard. He didn’t lack for effort in that game. Actually, now that I think about it, on Saturday they flipped Lysell and Steen, who’s been praised for his hard work in camp. So maybe it was a punishment, or a message to work harder.

I think the thing with Lysell is that he really does need high end talent around him.

I used to think he would be able to ease into the league in a bottom six role since his motor is absolutely nuts…but now I’m not so sure.

He definitely has chemistry issues, bordering on behavior problems (at least from an outside perspective)

I would be comfortable dishing him at this juncture if he can’t get his way.

• Wow
Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad