Prospect Info: Fabian Lysell

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
The post i literally replied to was this:

"how did this guy go from so much hype to JAG status?"
That is the false narrative ..... the posters on here again are simply saying he doesn't look ready (MVP aside and I think that was also a backhanded statement out of context).

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
That is the false narrative ..... the posters on here again are simply saying he doesn't look ready (MVP aside and I think that was also a backhanded statement out of context).
I disagree. That comment was right in context - it's a pretty accurate representation of the posts about Lysell the last couple of days, across multiple threads.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
I disagree. That comment was right in context - it's a pretty accurate representation of the posts about Lysell the last couple of days, across multiple threads.
No it wasn't IMO, I've read the same posts and have come to the conclusion that most think he has the tools, question his ability to put it all together, hasn't showcased himself well so far and simply would like him to prove it at the AHL level. Far from the ignorance you have painted them with for their opinions. We all want him to succeed, most just aren;t seeing it right now but as Saxon and others point out, maybe he'll shine with better linemates ...but as other point out maybe he has to earn that first.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I literally just went back 5 pages and no one actually called him a JAG, this is just another example of creating a false narrative of what was actually said ...he's got tool, just hasn't put it together

You don't need to go back 5 pages, it was on the same page as your post. Maybe you have the poster on ignore?

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
You don't need to go back 5 pages, it was on the same page as your post. Maybe you have the poster on ignore?
Sigh I'll explain....one poster did and I think MVP was being tongue in cheek but you'll have to ask MVP ...the point really was that no one else called him a JAG and someone took the recent criticisms of Lysell to try and paint posters as "ignorant" for opinions that he appears to have the tools but hasn't put them together thus far and should likely break camp in the AHL.

Reactions: Bodit9

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
If anyone is calling Lysell a JAG I urge them to get their eyes checked. He's incredibly skilled and has what it takes to be in the NHL he just needs a little more seasoning. Kid is 20 years old. Marchand was older than him when he finally broke in, same with DeBrusk.

This is a classic case of people putting the cart before the horse and having unrealistic expectations based on things they read from uninformed sources or from what they hear from the broadcasters.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
If anyone is calling Lysell a JAG I urge them to get their eyes checked. He's incredibly skilled and has what it takes to be in the NHL he just needs a little more seasoning. Kid is 20 years old. Marchand was older than him when he finally broke in, same with DeBrusk.

This is a classic case of people putting the cart before the horse and having unrealistic expectations based on things they read from uninformed sources or from what they hear from the broadcasters.
lol..pretty much what everyone one of posters have said about him in this thread..great tools..not shining...more time required in the AHL oven. Some just question if he'll put it all together, time will tell. The JAG label would really have to wait 4-5 years of little progress but again ...no one has really called him that from what I've read ...just people interpreting the recent criticisms in what appears to be a misdirected liberal manner to suit some sort of Lysell narrative to their liking. Fact is Jury is still out and they will be deliberating for a while,

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Sigh I'll explain....one poster did and I think MVP was being tongue in cheek but you'll have to ask MVP ...the point really was that no one else called him a JAG and someone took the recent criticisms of Lysell to try and paint posters as "ignorant" for opinions that he appears to have the tools but hasn't put them together thus far and should likely break camp in the AHL.

He was responding to a post calling Lysell a JAG by saying it was ignorance. It didn't look to me like he was calling other posters ignorant, just that one. Think you're kinda casting a wider net on this than there needs to be.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
He was responding to a post calling Lysell a JAG by saying it was ignorance. It didn't look to me like he was calling other posters ignorant, just that one. Think you're kinda casting a wider net on this than there needs to be.
and the below reply from said poster? That's the wide net and it's not from me ....

I disagree. That comment was right in context - it's a pretty accurate representation of the posts about Lysell the last couple of days, across multiple threads

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
No no - there’s a few calling him out for having “chemistry issues” and “borderline behavioral issues” and such that obviously don’t know what they’re talking about. Guelph is taking a very charitable view of all the potshots sent Lysell’s way the last couple of days and that’s fine.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
No no - there’s a few calling him out for having “chemistry issues” and “borderline behavioral issues” and such that obviously don’t know what they’re talking about. Guelph is taking a very charitable view of all the potshots sent Lysell’s way the last couple of days and that’s fine.

Yeah just ignore me immediately walking back that comment.

I’ve watched him plenty and he needs top six (or NHL) talent around him. He plays at a high pace and will find himself doing too much or panic passing if he doesn’t have support—which many times he doesn’t.

That’s all ok to me, I just want him to play in the big leagues with real pros who can give and go with him at a high level.

If the plan is to keep on putting him up and down the line up in Providence then I disagree with it.

You’re also ignoring me saying I want him playing top six aka I don’t think he’s a JAG.

Like why focus on one minute part of the post I immediately said was the wrong wording? And even if I think he’s a bit of a hot head, how does that insinuate I don’t think he has NHL drive or talent?

The only damning thing I said is that if we can swap him for a center we should—because we objectively don’t have enough talent at C in our prospect pool and Lysell is our most valuable piece.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I didn't see that behavioral issues comment until now. Seems rather uncalled for.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
how did this guy go from so much hype to JAG status?

Well he is not JAG.

he did have a very poor world Junior, and then a poor/injured second half in Providence. He had 19 points in 20 games in the first half, 18 points in 34 games after the world Juniors

He has high end potential, but also high bust potential

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
As recently as this past July Lysell was held back from participating during some of the rookie camp activities because he hadn't fully recovered from the concussion he suffered in the PO's. This hindered his off-season training. Is it such a wonder that he might be a step behind where he needs to be ? Give the guy a break.

With that said, he better figure out how to be more aware or someone is really going to hurt him. That's my biggest concern with him .

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
As recently as this past July Lysell was held back from participating during some of the rookie camp activities because he hadn't fully recovered from the concussion he suffered in the PO's. This hindered his off-season training. Is it such a wonder that he might be a step behind where he needs to be ? Give the guy a break.

With that said, he better figure out how to be more aware or someone is really going to hurt him. That's my biggest concern with him .
"With that said, he better figure out how to be more aware or someone is really going to hurt him. That's my biggest concern with him ."

I agree. The NHL is a big boy league and this kid looks like he has his head down sometimes. Someone is going to annihilate him. He cannot leave himself vulnerable to the big hit.

Reactions: GordonHowe

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He was dance skating around his peers.... but at a higher level.... he can't no longer do this. And his play without/away from the puck is raw.

Lysell should look at Lauko ... for inspiration (to get a footing). Just stick to a simplified game. Back check hard. Simple passes. Dump, chase and retrieve the puck (utilizing great speed)

When there is an open lane... learn to take advantage of it

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
He was dance skating around his peers.... but at a higher level.... he can't no longer do this. And his play without/away from the puck is raw.

Lysell should look at Lauko ... for inspiration (to get a footing). Just stick to a simplified game. Back check hard. Simple passes. Dump, chase and retrieve the puck (utilizing great speed)

When there is an open lane... learn to take advantage of it
He should mirror a player that's never had all that much AHL success and whose deficits cause Montgomery to limit him to sub-10 minutes ice time because he can't trust him in his own end?

That's, uh, really something.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not writing him off or calling him a JAG.

The knocks I listed come from hockey people and media types who know the game.

Whatever his problems, being a JAG isn't one of them. He clearly has high end offensive talent. Raw talent, not an elite "hockey brain," as the insiders like to say.

He's sleight, he's had a concussion, his play at WJ did not impress, and he's not good without the puck. Those are the knocks, and the reasons why over the past year or so, Lysell's stock has slipped.

Of course, he's only 19. He will fill out, and can learn to protect himself/keep his head up per heavy hits. He can also learn the defensive side of the game, if he's committed to doing so. The Bruins, to their great credit, demand at least adequate to good play in their own end.

Lysell can learn. But, there are legitimate question marks.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He should mirror a player that's never had all that much AHL success and whose deficits cause Montgomery to limit him to sub-10 minutes ice time because he can't trust him in his own end?

That's, uh, really something.
Well Lauko has the last laugh doesnt he? If he produces... he can move up in the lineup.

He didnt succeed early as expected at the AHL level. Was feeling down... tried MMA in the offseason. Simplified his game and made the parent team out of trainingcamp/pre season last season. When sent down....AHL Bruins were a better team with him in the lineup than without

Its difficult to get a footing at the NHL level. Lysell is in a tougher situation.... than allowed to make misktakes/learn from like he would if he played for the Sabres or Senators.

Unless you are a talent like Pasta. Bruins has been a structured team for decades.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
"With that said, he better figure out how to be more aware or someone is really going to hurt him. That's my biggest concern with him ."

I agree. The NHL is a big boy league and this kid looks like he has his head down sometimes. Someone is going to annihilate him. He cannot leave himself vulnerable to the big hit.

That is a major concern. But, again, protecting yourself can be taught. He'll have to learn, or he'll end up like

Reactions: rocketdan9

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

give the guy a break? pfft, kid`s played 54 games as a pro, if he hasn`t gotten it yet, he never will:sarcasm::sarcasm::popcorn:

Reactions: Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad