Fabbri

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
If you think -7 is indicative of anything, you really do not understand how bad the Wings are as a whole this year.
I'm far from a Fabbri basher, but hes has the 3rd worst +/- among the forwards on that atrocious team and has accumulated that total in about half as many games as his teammates. He's -12 through 14 games, which is real bad. There is almost certainly a lot of bad luck in that number, but he is also an expected -4.6 in that stretch, which is also very bad. Having defensive stats among the worst on a team of guys who are terrible defensively is absolutely indicative of poor defensive play.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I'm far from a Fabbri basher, but hes has the 3rd worst +/- among the forwards on that atrocious team and has accumulated that total in about half as many games as his teammates. He's -12 through 14 games, which is real bad. There is almost certainly a lot of bad luck in that number, but he is also an expected -4.6 in that stretch, which is also very bad. Having defensive stats among the worst on a team of guys who are terrible defensively is absolutely indicative of poor defensive play.
I think defensive ability has, and always will be, best determined by actually watching players play. There's simply no substitute for watching someone and breaking down what they're doing on the ice, and their relative culpability in the goals against that are scored when they're out there. Defensive advanced stats for the NHL are far cry from being as meaningful as those of, say, the MLB...and we both know +/- related stats have more than their share of warts.

All that said, I don't think many people are of the opinion that Fabbri is some great defensive player. At best, he's adequate, and his value defensively tails off the closer he is to his own net.

What does it even matter? Fabbri's value was never tied up in his defense, and I feel like people who try to define him by that ability are kind of missing the point. His value was tied up in being a driver of offense who was able to create chances for himself and others. That ability is much rarer and more precious in the NHL than the ability to play defense, especially now as the game has opened back up again. Guys like DLR (sub 12 minutes a game, adequate defense, next to no offensive ability) are interchangeable replacement level players, and there's no shortage of their type at the bottoms of NHL rosters and in the AHL.

I don't really want to dig into why, but the bottom line is that Fabbri wasn't driving offense here, so his value here was low. If he's driving offense better in Detroit, then he's more valuable to that organization than someone like DLR, full stop. As for the Blues side of things, I honestly don't think DLR brings any more value to the organization than Fabbri did. Probably less, even, since Fabbri at least had some potential value locked away inside him that could have been tapped under the right circumstances. Is there any appreciable difference between having DLR on the ice over say, an AHL guy like MacEachern, or even a PTO guy like Brouwer? DLR doesn't generate offense, or even contribute much to pushing the play down the ice. He's far from a shut-down defender himself, and he's no special teams ace. He's just a warm body and you're going to do your best to limit his minutes to the bare minimum you can get away with. If the Blues had a healthy roster, he's fighting to not be scratched any given night, just like Fabbri.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
Will be intersting to see if an actual hockey team picks him up at the trade deadline. Would be interested to see if he can still produce when the competition brings their "a" game. But good for him for making the change of scenery positive for him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Will be intersting to see if an actual hockey team picks him up at the trade deadline. Would be interested to see if he can still produce when the competition brings their "a" game. But good for him for making the change of scenery positive for him.

With his age being around that of a lot of Detroits youngsters I highly doubt Yzerman would deal him. I mean obviously Gretzky got traded but the year hes having someone would have to pay a lot to get him. I know St Louis is good, but this seems like a classic case of a coach not liking a guy and refusing to let him do what he does.

Hes been stellar in Detroit. The Blues have a great PP but dont see how he couldnt play third line minutes and second PP at the very least

Reactions: kliq

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
With his age being around that of a lot of Detroits youngsters I highly doubt Yzerman would deal him. I mean obviously Gretzky got traded but the year hes having someone would have to pay a lot to get him. I know St Louis is good, but this seems like a classic case of a coach not liking a guy and refusing to let him do what he does.

Hes been stellar in Detroit. The Blues have a great PP but dont see how he couldnt play third line minutes and second PP at the very least
Comments like the bolded always bug me. What exactly is it that Fabbri "does" that Berube doesn't like and won't let him do?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Comments like the bolded always bug me. What exactly is it that Fabbri "does" that Berube doesn't like and won't let him do?
No one knows because it's never been addressed directly. In the debate involving fans, there's been alot of moving goal posts. Fabbri wasn't producing in his limited ice time, so he moved to the press box.

What's so frustrating is the Blues have a gaping hole on Orielly's LW. Sure Fabbri isn't the best 2 way player in the league but he would have been fine with Perron and Orielly.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
@Alklha @Vladys Gumption @EastonBlues22

the only activity from this thread is when Red Wings fan(s) bump it to gloat. Is that not trolling?

Innocent bystander here... But uh... @Hugh Mongusbig is a Blues fan and was the one to bring up the two goal night.

Resurrecting the thread from its 26 hour death... Jesus was dead longer.

All seriousness, he wasn't being used in STL. It's nice to see him get a chance and succeed somewhere else. Especially considering it's been one of DET's few bright spots. We can argue all day that DET won the trade, but we all know who'll still be around in April.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Innocent bystander here... But uh... @Hugh Mongusbig is a Blues fan and was the one to bring up the two goal night.

All seriousness, he wasn't being used in STL. It's nice to see him get a chance and succeed somewhere else. Especially considering it's been one of DET's few bright spots. We can argue all day that DET won the trade, but we all know who'll still be around in April.
The thread is a bit redundant in that Fabbri is no longer a Blue. I don't have an issue with Red Wing fans that have visited here, however, They have been pretty respectful.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Odd ... I can't find a "confirmed with link" thread about the Fabbri trade. I was going to suggest merging this thread with that to make it more pertinent to the Blues but ... whatever. A lot of posters were upset about the trade and some still are. I find no harm in keeping a thread open to discuss the trade.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Odd ... I can't find a "confirmed with link" thread about the Fabbri trade. I was going to suggest merging this thread with that to make it more pertinent to the Blues but ... whatever. A lot of posters were upset about the trade and some still are. I find no harm in keeping a thread open to discuss the trade.
Fabbri talk would also just find its way into different threads and derail them, more than likely.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

I just assumed this Hugh character was a Detroit fan by how he has posted in this thread. Sure acts like it.

Are we gonna beat this dead horse all year long? Fabbri wouldn't be scoring like this for the Blues because he wouldn't be given these top line opportunities. Good for him that he's picking up PP points on a team that looks like an AHL team most nights.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
guys a -12 and cant defend to save his life. when the playoffs roll around and people start checking 24/7, you will once again see why he was traded

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
When the Blues are healthy and when the playoffs start, Fabbri would have been back in the press box. Sure he’d look great on this depleted roster now.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I just assumed this Hugh character was a Detroit fan by how he has posted in this thread. Sure acts like it.

Are we gonna beat this dead horse all year long? Fabbri wouldn't be scoring like this for the Blues because he wouldn't be given these top line opportunities. Good for him that he's picking up PP points on a team that looks like an AHL team most nights.
That the problem.......
guys a -12 and cant defend to save his life. when the playoffs roll around and people start checking 24/7, you will once again see why he was traded

When the Blues are healthy and when the playoffs start, Fabbri would have been back in the press box. Sure he’d look great on this depleted roster now.

These are my favorite goal post moving, non testable sayings.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
That the problem.......

fabbri was given plenty of time to shine here. back in 2017 when he was struggling, he was often paired with tarasenko or schwartz.

the guy is not a 2 way player and that is what this team needs and you need to win a cup. i will take the sundqvists and barbashevs 100x over before I pick fabbri because not only can they perform their roles but they can check too so even when they arnt producing offensively, they are not a liability on D. Fabbri cannot do this and has to be sheltered.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
fabbri was given plenty of time to shine here. back in 2017 when he was struggling, he was often paired with tarasenko or schwartz.

the guy is not a 2 way player and that is what this team needs and you need to win a cup. i will take the sundqvists and barbashevs 100x over before I pick fabbri because not only can they perform their roles but they can check too so even when they arnt producing offensively, they are not a liability on D. Fabbri cannot do this and has to be sheltered.
Fabbri was good with Tarasenko, so I'm not sure why you'd use that against him. Barbashev and Sunny have no impact on Fabbri if he were still here. All 3 would be on the roster, so again......nice strawman.

The narrative has gone from he's not a NHL player anymore.....that's blatantly false. Now its shifted to well.....he's not a stud 2 way player. Prior to his injury, he was fine as a 200ft player. His ability to produce offset defensive lapses. What we're seeing now in Det. Is Fabbri getting his game back, he's proving he's still a top 6 talent. You can always teach players how to defend, it's the offense that comes natural. Hell.....we saw how long it took Vladi to give a damn about the dzone.

bradrich99

Feb 3, 2009
42°59′01″N 081°14′59″W
He did get 2 absolute fluke goals. I don't think that is the game to gloat over. Both goals came on deflections off Pionks skate. The 1st one he was trying to pass and hit the dman. The second one was a pinball bounce from the goalie to the dman and then in. But yes, they count.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010

Easy to be steller when your opponents dont take your team seriously. That's why I want to see how he would do playing an actual game that matters..

Reactions: TheDizee

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He did get 2 absolute fluke goals. I don't think that is the game to gloat over. Both goals came on deflections off Pionks skate. The 1st one he was trying to pass and hit the dman. The second one was a pinball bounce from the goalie to the dman and then in. But yes, they count.
I do agree that these goals arent special...but look where he is. Right in front of the net.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
That the problem.......

He wouldn't be getting the opportunity because we have other options, not because he deserved it. He had opportunities to distinguish himself and didn't do much with those chances. The Blues are not in a position to give him 15+ minutes per game and PP1 time like Detroit. Even with Tarasenko and Blais injured, he would be no higher than 9th on our forward depth chart. That's what I meant by not getting the same opportunity here as in Detroit.

Fabbri is fine in the top six for a non-playoff team but not for a contending team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad