Fabbri

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Lol checked the standings? He is putting up points in garbage time. Let him get traded to a contender and see what happens.
What are your thoughts on McDavid and Draisaitl in the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons? Are they garbage too because they can only score for teams that are at the bottom of the standings? Or would you like to move the goalposts again?

oWUuoMf.gif

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
What are your thoughts on McDavid and Draisaitl in the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons? Are they garbage too because they can only score for teams that are at the bottom of the standings? Or would you like to move the goalposts again?

oWUuoMf.gif
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: that animation....

Reactions: shmotz

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Hi guys.

Is Fabbri UFA 2 or 3 seasons after current one?

Wings fan asking.
This is his 5th accrued season towards UFA. Even though he didn't play at all in 2017/18, he was on the NHL roster and not playing due to injury, so it still counts as an accrued season for UFA purposes. That means he needs 2 more seasons after this one before hitting UFA. Assuming he isn't somehow sent to the AHL or sits out a year, he would be eliegible to hit UFA status in the summer of 2022.

He does have arbitration rights this summer and it would be an absolutely fascinating hearing.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
And just for our semi-routine check up on Fabbri, he has 23 points in 33 games with the Wings while posting a miserable -19.

I'm not all that interested in rehashing the argument about whether he should/shouldn't have gotten more chance here, trying to guess whether he oculd have produced here or talking about the return of the trade.

I bring up his numbers as a fan of Fabbri's and as someone who is genuinely happy for him that he is getting an opportunity to salvage his NHL career. Some of that -19 is undoubtedly the product of how bad that Wings team is. They don't have a single player with 10+ games played who has a positive +/- and no one can convince me that every single player on the team is bad defensively. That's just the inherent flaw of +/-. With that said, you don't get to -19 without some poor individual defensive play. He will need to work on it moving forward, but his production in Detroit has ensured that he will be given time as an NHL regular to work on that skill.

I don't know who Fabbri will be in 2 years. He may figure it all out and be a 50+ point guy with average 2 way play. He might be a one dimensional 60+ point guy who bounces from team-to-team as a short term UFA to help provide offense to mediocre teams. Or maybe he is out of the league in 3 years because this is just a hot streak and he can't sustain the scoring and regresses to a 40 point defensive liability. But no matter what, this trade has given him a couple years in the league to show who he is and he was getting dangerously close to washing out on our roster.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
And just for our semi-routine check up on Fabbri, he has 23 points in 33 games with the Wings while posting a miserable -19.

I'm not all that interested in rehashing the argument about whether he should/shouldn't have gotten more chance here, trying to guess whether he oculd have produced here or talking about the return of the trade.

I bring up his numbers as a fan of Fabbri's and as someone who is genuinely happy for him that he is getting an opportunity to salvage his NHL career. Some of that -19 is undoubtedly the product of how bad that Wings team is. They don't have a single player with 10+ games played who has a positive +/- and no one can convince me that every single player on the team is bad defensively. That's just the inherent flaw of +/-. With that said, you don't get to -19 without some poor individual defensive play. He will need to work on it moving forward, but his production in Detroit has ensured that he will be given time as an NHL regular to work on that skill.

I don't know who Fabbri will be in 2 years. He may figure it all out and be a 50+ point guy with average 2 way play. He might be a one dimensional 60+ point guy who bounces from team-to-team as a short term UFA to help provide offense to mediocre teams. Or maybe he is out of the league in 3 years because this is just a hot streak and he can't sustain the scoring and regresses to a 40 point defensive liability. But no matter what, this trade has given him a couple years in the league to show who he is and he was getting dangerously close to washing out on our roster.

A lot of that -19 is from playing with Athanasiou and Filppula. They have been horrible this year. They lead the team in worst +/-, and Fabbri got stuck on a line with them, when he first went to Detroit. There was a 9 game stretch with them when he was -14. He was putting up points, but on the PP with Bertuzzi and Larkin. His line with AA and Filppula was getting wrecked 5v5.

I am not saying he was great defensively, but he definitely cannot carry a whole line defensively. Athanasiou and Filpulla were bad +/- before Fabbri, they were bad with Fabbri, and they have been bad after Fabbri. Fabbri's +/- has normalized since he was put with Larkin and Bertuzzi for 5v5. He's only a -3 over the last 12 games. His GF% at 5v5 is actually >50% with both Bertuzzi and Larkin. Its 26.09 with Filpulla.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
A lot of that -19 is from playing with Athanasiou and Filppula. They have been horrible this year. They lead the team in worst +/-, and Fabbri got stuck on a line with them, when he first went to Detroit. There was a 9 game stretch with them when he was -14. He was putting up points, but on the PP with Bertuzzi and Larkin. His line with AA and Filppula was getting wrecked 5v5.

I am not saying he was great defensively, but he definitely cannot carry a whole line defensively. Athanasiou and Filpulla were bad +/- before Fabbri, they were bad with Fabbri, and they have been bad after Fabbri. Fabbri's +/- has normalized since he was put with Larkin and Bertuzzi for 5v5. He's only a -3 over the last 12 games. His GF% at 5v5 is actually >50% with both Bertuzzi and Larkin. Its 26.09 with Filpulla.
:eek:

Bluenatic

Fresh start
Aug 13, 2010
STL
It is a bit aggravating seeing the point totals, but we must keep things in perspective. Fabbri asked for a trade. I do feel the organization should have given him more of an opportunity. But once it gets to the point of a player wanting out, it's pretty much damage control

Mar 6, 2012
I understand the situation and am happy for Fabbri, but wish we had gotten something a little better in return.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
It is a bit aggravating seeing the point totals, but we must keep things in perspective. Fabbri asked for a trade. I do feel the organization should have given him more of an opportunity. But once it gets to the point of a player wanting out, it's pretty much damage control

Not only that, but it's unlikely he would have 15 goals here since he wouldn't be getting top 6 minutes and 1st PP unit time. He just didn't fit in with how this teams plays. Good for him, but there's nothing more to be said about the trade. Time to move on.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
hes not the same player anymore. there is a reason he was a healthy scratch in the finals

Reactions: Blueston

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Not only that, but it's unlikely he would have 15 goals here since he wouldn't be getting top 6 minutes and 1st PP unit time. He just didn't fit in with how this teams plays. Good for him, but there's nothing more to be said about the trade. Time to move on.
He'd also be expected to play some defense here. As Dizzee says, he isn't the same player and it seems like it has narrowed his effectiveness.

That said, a nice move in the shootout to get the win for the Red Wings.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’m happy for Fabbri, especially since he was at risk for his career as a pro going forward, and he hasn’t really had the chance to earn much yet compared to his pre-injury expectations.

But I’m skeptical that he’s got the all-around game to be a top 6 player on a good team. I hope he gets there.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

This is all true. Still, sometimes you can’t help but wonder if we aren’t a little bit too prescriptive with how we expect guys to play. I know that was a big thing towards the end of Hitch’s tenure here: he tried to adapt and put more emphasis on “playing the game” rather than sticking to a very strict systems regiment that could be figured out and exploited. I feel like mostly we’ve found a happy medium, where guys are willing to play our system, but have enough freedom within that system to make things happen.

But we’re a team that can struggle to score for stretches, and a guy like Fabbri with a scoring touch is valuable. It just seems weird that he obviously had this ability, but we couldn’t find a way to utilize it. I think Faulk’s struggles reflect the same issue. I get that we need buy-in from our players, but expecting everyone to be a Selke-contender or whatever means that sometimes we’ll miss out on guys with value in a strictly offensive sense.

I don’t know how big of an issue it is, but it seems like maybe a bit of an organizational blind spot that could end up causing issues down the line. We’ll see.

Reactions: Ranksu

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I disagree a bit. He was traded prior to Tarasenko’s injury. I don’t know if we could have foreseen the injury. There really as no place for him in the top 6.

I would also point to someone like Blues who was great with us when we were in The rebuild ,but stunk when he wasn’t on a rebuilding team.

if tarasenko would have been injured prior to the trade, I don’t think we would have moved him

bradrich99

Feb 3, 2009
42°59′01″N 081°14′59″W
I disagree a bit. He was traded prior to Tarasenko’s injury. I don’t know if we could have foreseen the injury. There really as no place for him in the top 6.

I would also point to someone like Blues who was great with us when we were in The rebuild ,but stunk when he wasn’t on a rebuilding team.

if tarasenko would have been injured prior to the trade, I don’t think we would have moved him

Tarasenko was injured in game on 10/24 against LA. Fabbri was traded a couple of weeks later on November 6th.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Happy for Fabbri - but let's get real. He's a minus 28. That's not gonna fly on a Berube team.

The Wings are obviously a bad team, and five players have worse plus/minus, but his game didn't fit here.

And the Blues did win a Stanley Cup where everyone has to buy in and play the body-first game.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Happy for Fabbri - but let's get real. He's a minus 28. That's not gonna fly on a Berube team.

The Wings are obviously a bad team, and five players have worse plus/minus, but his game didn't fit here.

And the Blues did win a Stanley Cup where everyone has to buy in and play the body-first game.
It's hard to make a positive influence when you are surrounded by mediocrity or worse. Fabbri has been one of the better players on the team, according to his metrics, and his +/- can largely be attributed by not playing with the three good forwards Detroit has at this point in time. Could you make an inference on to why he isn't playing with those guys? Sure, but to attribute his +/- solely to him while ignoring his surroundings is overly simplistic.

But, even if one wants to say how Fabbri was never going to succeed in Berube's system, or he was never going to develop a passable defensive game, (both statements I find a tad arrogant) I am still going to loathe this trade because of the return.

Reactions: MissouriMook

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
He wasn’t gonna get the opportunity in STL that he is in Detroit. I’m happy for Fabbri that he’s in a situation where his playing time is high and wins/losses don’t matter. He gets to shake off the two years of rust and get basically double the ice time in a scoring role as well as PP. was never going to happen here and he’s brutal in a bottom 6 role. We got DLR whose a fantastic defensive depth center man. The deal worked out for both sides but obviously it’s a sexier return for Fabbri. Army might’ve saved fabbris career with that trade. Tho typical fans will never see it that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad