Fabbri

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
If the Blues want more size you can have Abdelkader. He's been playing better this year (or the rest of the team got worse, I'm not sure).

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
No level headed fan expected Fabbri to be Ryan O'Reilly. I love that he's playing and getting his game back.

You mean scoring sporadically and being terrible at every other aspect? Then yes he got his game back. Fabbri of 2016 is long gone, what could have been if he didn't take it all for granted after his rookie year.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
This thread reminds me of a TigerBeat mag at the grocery store checkout during the 80s?

iu

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
You mean scoring sporadically and being terrible at every other aspect? Then yes he got his game back. Fabbri of 2016 is long gone, what could have been if he didn't take it all for granted after his rookie year.
Take it all for granted? He tore his ACL... He looked fantastic his sophomore year before the injury.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
He did not look fantastic is sophomore year, in fact there are many reports he came to camp less than ideal shape.
Maybe we were watching two separate players. He was on pace for 46 points as a 20 year old. 9 point improvement over his rookie year. Plus how good he looked in his rookie season in the playoffs. He was set to be a key player for years and unfortunately hasn't looked good since the ACL.

Reactions: LeProspector

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
Maybe we were watching two separate players. He was on pace for 46 points as a 20 year old. 9 point improvement over his rookie year. Plus how good he looked in his rookie season in the playoffs. He was set to be a key player for years and unfortunately hasn't looked good since the ACL.

He came to camp out of shape. That's well documented. "Was set" is the key. He didnt build off his great rookie year.

But he is Stanley cup champion and with any luck he will live the Gordan Bombay life. Exciting young player, derailed by knee injuries, who becomes a successful trial lawyer, then leads a plucky group of inner city kids to a championship.

Reactions: EurlichBachman

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
A rumors website? And yeah, he got off to a slow start and then after getting scratched went on a hot streak. “Well documented” indeed.

St. Louis Blues: Robby Fabbri to be Scratched for Thursday’s Game Against Nashville Predators

I dont have the twitters, so if you do feel free to search rutherford or korac who may have posted the comments. But hitch's comment on his tenacity early in the year speaks to him not being ready to play.
St. Louis Blues: Robby Fabbri to be Scratched for Thursday’s Game Against Nashville Predators

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Can someone link to article discussing Fabbri’s conditioning in 2016 training camp?
Armstrong is always circumspect in his public comments, but I also remember him commenting in an on air interview that the team was disappointed with Fabbri’s preparation in the off-season entering his second year. You won’t find much record of it because, why would there be? It was surprising for him to give an honest answer like that at the time. I think the (paraphrased from hazy memory) quote was something like, “Robby is learning how to be a pro. I think he’s learning that you can’t arrive at camp without putting the work in and expect to be ready to play the way he needs to play.” It was a respectful comment, but enough to make it clear they thought he hadn’t trained adequately.

Now it’s possible it was a manipulative comment that wasn’t sincere, in an effort to motivate a young guy. But the next time Armstrong makes a public comment like that will be the first time I’ve seen one.

Reactions: Blueston

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Armstrong is always circumspect in his public comments, but I also remember him commenting in an on air interview that the team was disappointed with Fabbri’s preparation in the off-season entering his second year. You won’t find much record of it because, why would there be? It was surprising for him to give an honest answer like that at the time. I think the (paraphrased from hazy memory) quote was something like, “Robby is learning how to be a pro. I think he’s learning that you can’t arrive at camp without putting the work in and expect to be ready to play the way he needs to play.” It was a respectful comment, but enough to make it clear they thought he hadn’t trained adequately.

Now it’s possible it was a manipulative comment that wasn’t sincere, in an effort to motivate a young guy. But the next time Armstrong makes a public comment like that will be the first time I’ve seen one.
The problem is I don’t remember it and if Fabbri’s work ethic was such a big deal I think I would find something about it on the internet. But I can’t. So instead I have to keep reading poorly backed claims of “well documented” instances of his work ethic being an issue.

It’s pretty rare for a 19 year old to be playing in the NHL which speaks to his talent. The fact that he got off to a slow start as a 20 year old and had to be scratched for one god damn game shouldn’t prove a work ethic issue. Plenty of guys that age struggle.

So I’m going to let his record that actually is documented speak for itself which is that he was on pace to outperform his rookie year when he went down and he put the work in after 2 major knee injuries to come back and play hockey again - a feat I’m guessing no one here really quite understands how difficult mentally and physically it must be.

I get why fans here would express disappointment after waiting a couple years to see him play and then having him not really get much of a chance before being shipped off for a bag pucks. What I struggle with is why a couple people keep running in here to continue trashing the guy. At least one of them has had it out for him since last season but I suspect much longer. It’s just weird.

Looking forward to more hilarious Mighty Ducks references.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010

I dont have the twitters, so if you do feel free to search rutherford or korac who may have posted the comments. But hitch's comment on his tenacity early in the year speaks to him not being ready to play.
Pretty sure Twitter is searchable for anyone.

Scratched for “tenacity”. So which is it? Also, this happened in November. Training came is typically in September.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm obviously a huge Fabbri fan, but I too remember him not being ready in his 2nd year. Iirc they didn't say he was lazy or anything work ethic persay. More of he may not have realized the offseason a pro had to have to be ready to go. Naturally talented guys are prone to this. They are an unknown coming into the league and have early success, the 2nd year, players know what to expect, so you better be on another level. The impression I got was Fabbri figured the league was going to be easy moving forward. After being scratched, he took off, then was injured. It's been an uphill battle for him

Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
He came to camp out of shape. That's well documented. "Was set" is the key. He didnt build off his great rookie year.

But he is Stanley cup champion and with any luck he will live the Gordan Bombay life. Exciting young player, derailed by knee injuries, who becomes a successful trial lawyer, then leads a plucky group of inner city kids to a championship.

This is ridiculous. Even if he was uprepared for his 2nd season, that doesn't mean he has an intrinsic flaw that can't ever be fixed. He played his first year as a pro, in which he played 20 more games than he ever had, at a much higher level than he ever had. During the off-season, in which he had more money and freedom than he ever had, he didn't do the level of work required for the NHL. A level of work, that he probably had never needed to do before either. I am shocked and aghast that happened. Oh wait, no I am not. It happens to almost every single player. Its so common it has a aname, the sophomore slump.

But can we just chalk it up to lesson learned? Of course not. Some internet nobody with a axe to grind has to remember it and throw it out against the player years later. Never mind the fact that since that report, Fabbri has been praised on multiple occasions for his work effort in rehabbing from his injuries and staying in shape when not playing so much. That one time he was called out for a very common issue should absolutely define his career, right?

From StL Post article: "I wish him all the best,” Berube said. “He’s a great kid and a hard-working guy. You know, he fell upon some injuries and stuff around here.”

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Let's all just agree that Fabbri needed a change of scenery. He hadn't put up points for awhile and was scratched continually here in STL, playing 4th line roles and being held to low on ice time totals. He wasn't going to have a chance here unless his training camp was amazing and he was unreal in the preseason. The fact that he is playing 7 minutes more and being given ample time to adjust and just play is why he's doing well. I didn't like the trade, but like I said, he wasn't going to work here.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Let's all just agree that Fabbri needed a change of scenery. He hadn't put up points for awhile and was scratched continually here in STL, playing 4th line roles and being held to low on ice time totals. He wasn't going to have a chance here unless his training camp was amazing and he was unreal in the preseason. The fact that he is playing 7 minutes more and being given ample time to adjust and just play is why he's doing well. I didn't like the trade, but like I said, he wasn't going to work here.
How about we all agree he was mismanaged?

Added: which is crazy because coaching and management has done such a great job with everything else

Last edited:

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
If you think -7 is indicative of anything, you really do not understand how bad the Wings are as a whole this year.

Exactly. Fabbri has been one of the few bright spots on a very bad Detroit team this year.
Detroit's entire team has only managed to score 7 goals total in their last 6 games, and Fabbri has scored 3 of them, and assisted on another. He is one of the few players in Detroit that has been able to generate any offense this season. While guys like Frans Neilsen have produced nothing.
Since joining Detroit, Fabbri has 6G and 6A, 12Pts in under 240 min total ice time. (14 games)
Compare that to Frans Neislen who has 0G and 1A, 1Pt in 370 min (27 games) this season in Detroit.

In Detroit's last 6 games, the Wings have scored 7 goals, while giving up 28 goals!

In the last 6 games, Fabbri has 3G, 1A and is -8
In the last 6 games, Larkin has 2G, 2A and is -8
In the last 6 games, Bertuzzi has 0G, 3A, and is -9
In the last 6 games, Athanasiou has 0G, 1A and is -10
and it only gets worse from there.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->