Fabbri

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Schwartz?
That's not fair to bring up Schwartz because he is always engaged, wins puck battles, and is defensively responsible. You bring him up as example of small player succeeding and it makes it look like size isn't the issue but rather playing the way we need players to play and that blows up the Fabbri was robbed narrative. Shame on you.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Schwartz?

Schwartz is an established top line forward who actually wins puck battles all the time. Not sure why you'd compare him to Fabbri who isn't close to that. I'm talking about the fringe guys like Fabbri was here.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Schwartz is an established top line forward who actually wins puck battles all the time. Not sure why you'd compare him to Fabbri who isn't close to that. I'm talking about the fringe guys like Fabbri was here.
I also see Schwartz get knocked on his ass with ease and not win every single puck battle. Fabbri didn't lose every puck battle either. I've read players talk about game strength, something you don't get from the gym. I watched him from predraft year, he was a Schwartz style player with more offense

You implied Fabbri was sidelined due to his size. I brought up another small player and you moved the goal posts.

Just another dart thrown at the Idk dart board.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well yes the Blues do prefer a bigger lineup, but it is clearly working for them so why are we questioning it so much?

Schwartz is the only truly small player we have now.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Yep. Right now I'd say this is infinitely better.

Schwartz Schenn Bozak
Fabbri Orielly Perron
Sanford Thomas Sundqvist
Kostin Barbashev Brouwer

Now this is only possible with Blais being out too. Alot of the focus was on Sanford but most just wanted Fabbri to get that top 6 spot with 2 really good linemates. Maybe we get the PPG(small sample size) Fabbri along with this different Sanford. WE COULD HAVE HAD BOTH. It's not like we traded Fabbri for Sanford.
This is real heart of my issue with the trade after some decompressing.

I don't care for the Sanford talk anymore because it seems like no one can admit when he does well or when does poorly with any sense of detachment anymore. But the Blues traded Fabbri of De La Rose. You know, the guy who was benched two games after acquiring him because the Blues have trouble scoring with regularity and De La Rose's approach to offense is equivocal to Chris Davis's approach to hitting. I still can't believe Army spent assets on this guy. I don't care what anyone's opinion of Fabbri is because to justify De La Rose as a solid return is crazy.

I would much rather have Fabbri and Sanford at this point in time than Sanford and De La Rose.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This is real heart of my issue with the trade after some decompressing.

I don't care for the Sanford talk anymore because it seems like no one can admit when he does well or when does poorly with any sense of detachment anymore. But the Blues traded Fabbri of De La Rose. You know, the guy who was benched two games after acquiring him because the Blues have trouble scoring with regularity and De La Rose's approach to offense is equivocal to Chris Davis's approach to hitting. I still can't believe Army spent assets on this guy. I don't care what anyone's opinion of Fabbri is because to justify De La Rose as a solid return is crazy.

I would much rather have Fabbri and Sanford at this point in time than Sanford and De La Rose.
I'll happily admit Sanford wasnt bad against the Ducks, good against Tampa and flat out dominant against Calgary. That doesn't change that he wasnt good prior. All we have is what's going forward, and hopefully the 3rd line can be consistent. My issue was being gifted the 2nd line minutes. My argument now is.....we could have both now that we see when put into their role....they excel

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
That makes 3G and 4A for 7 pts in 6 games.

Extremely small sample size thus far, but in Fabbri's six games in Detroit, he's put up 4.4 PTS/60 in all situations! That's crazy high. Tarasenko is (was) the only Blues player anywhere close at 3.7 PTS/60 before his injury. All the other Blues like ROR, Perron, Schenn, etc.. are all well below 3 PTS/60 currently. He won't continue to put up those kinds of numbers obviously, but I think its pretty safe to say that Fabbri is still a legit scoring threat at the NHL level, even after his multiple injuries.
Look at the rest of the cast in DET vs us. Sure they have talent here and there, but it's a mess. Fabbri will by nature get more ice time and/or better opportunities. And honestly, who cares what he does there? He wasn't going to get those chances here, and we didn't need him. Good on Fabbri for maximizing this situation so far.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
Army has stated numerous times that if he had to choose between two players of similar skill he would always choose the player with more size. Fabbri and Sanford have similar skills and size won out. It's not a secret. Next up Sanford shot can melt steel beams...

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I also see Schwartz get knocked on his ass with ease and not win every single puck battle. Fabbri didn't lose every puck battle either. I've read players talk about game strength, something you don't get from the gym. I watched him from predraft year, he was a Schwartz style player with more offense

You implied Fabbri was sidelined due to his size. I brought up another small player and you moved the goal posts.

Just another dart thrown at the Idk dart board.

The small player you referenced (Schwartz) isn't a good comparitive imo. For starters he's considered amongst the very best 2 way wingers in the league. Fabbri doesn't have anywhere near the defensive acumen that he does and he's not close to Schwartz in terms of maintaining possesion. He's also an NHL regular who isn't fighting to get in the lineup.

It's disingenuous to suggest these players are comparable at all other than they're both talented and relatively undersized. I don't consider it moving goal posts to suggest Schwartz is a bad comp, he's not fighting for an NHL job, Fabbri was and still would be if Doug Armstrong hadn't done him a solid.

What I'm suggesting is that Berube clearly favors bigger players when choosing amongst fringe guys to execute his forecheck. Walker tearing up the A, yet Kostin is the call up? Sanford getting minutes while Fabbri sits? Seems pretty clear to me that Berube favors heavy forwards in general but obviously there are other factors as well. Still I stick by my original statement that if Fabbri was a bigger body he would have gotten more playing time from Berube.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The small player you referenced (Schwartz) isn't a good comparitive imo. For starters he's considered amongst the very best 2 way wingers in the league. Fabbri doesn't have anywhere near the defensive acumen that he does and he's not close to Schwartz in terms of maintaining possesion. He's also an NHL regular who isn't fighting to get in the lineup.

It's disingenuous to suggest these players are comparable at all other than they're both talented and relatively undersized. I don't consider it moving goal posts to suggest Schwartz is a bad comp, he's not fighting for an NHL job, Fabbri was and still would be if Doug Armstrong hadn't done him a solid.

What I'm suggesting is that Berube clearly favors bigger players when choosing amongst fringe guys to execute his forecheck. Walker tearing up the A, yet Kostin is the call up? Sanford getting minutes while Fabbri sits? Seems pretty clear to me that Berube favors heavy forwards in general but obviously there are other factors as well. Still I stick by my original statement that if Fabbri was a bigger body he would have gotten more playing time from Berube.
You can add whatever qualifiers you want but it's still moving the goal post. You said if he was bigger, he'd play. Now you're saying Schwartz is the exception because he's an uber 2 way player.... that's moving the goal post because it's not size related. Its play related(not play style, actual play).

We don't have an example of a Blues player in Fabbri's situation that are 6'2 210 because they're none. I'd wager that if someone of that size was trying to make their way back into the lineup after 2 knee surgeries and a shoulder injury in 2 seasons, Berube may not "trust" them either.

I dont think its size related as Fabbri didnt play a timid game, he was a tenacious forchecker and played heavy hockey. Fabbri may never have won a Selke, but gained the trust and moved up the lineup in a Hitchcock system, so he could play 2 way hockey.

What I see is a player that Berube got trying to get his game back and in a couple weeks....wrecked his shoulder and was out long term again. While Sanford sucked to start this season, he ended last season really good. I just dont think he wanted to wait it out with Fabbri.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Army has stated numerous times that if he had to choose between two players of similar skill he would always choose the player with more size. Fabbri and Sanford have similar skills and size won out. It's not a secret. Next up Sanford shot can melt steel beams...
Fabbri is significantly better offensively and Sanford is significantly better defensively. I wouldn’t call that being similar. They don’t even play their positions in a similar style.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Fabbri putting up numbers in Detroit but he is apparently still awful defensively. His Corsi is terrible and their on ice save percentage is 76% when he is on ice. Obviously still small sample but interesting that as great as his points look they are still outshot and outscored when he is on ice.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Fabbri putting up numbers in Detroit but he is apparently still awful defensively. His Corsi is terrible and their on ice save percentage is 76% when he is on ice. Obviously still small sample but interesting that as great as his points look they are still outshot and outscored when he is on ice.
Are those numbers different for the players he is lining up with than their numbers pre trade?

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
I feel like if Fabbri was 6'1+, 200+ lbs he'd still be here. I really think it's that simple.

In a sense, I agree with this. Especially if it led to Fabbri being a more physical player during his development.

I think the Blues make a conscious effort to have at least one physical player on each line. With a guy like Schwartz, he's not a physically large or hard-hitting player but he has chemistry with Schenn. Schenn's always been very comfortable with the physical aspects of the game, so he takes on the role of being that guy for his line.

Schenn's a guy who delivers physicality via his willingness to hit people, but that's not the only way to do it. The Blues are perceived as one of the most physical teams in the league despite finishing 24th in the league in hits per game last season. Even flashy Tampa Bay finished 6th, with 6 hits/game more than the Blues. This perception stems more from the size of our defensemen making it hard to work around our net, and having forwards (ala Maroon and Sanford) who can use their size to body up guys in front of and behind the opponent's net.

I imagine they prefer Blais or Sanford with ROR and Perron because having a guy with size who can go into those tight areas around the net frees up those two to go where they work best, which is around the circles. Fabbri is also someone who operates most naturally by finding soft spots away from the scrums, and consequently he performed best with us when paired up with Brower who could take on that role. This season the Blues started with Fabbri on Bozak's line, and those guys just never struck up the right kind of chemistry to sustain zone time and generate good chances. I think this was in part due to a lack of size on that line.

Fabbri should be praised because he did try to add this element to his game here, but it's not what he's naturally suited for. He's clearly a better fit for the linemates and system he has in Detroit, where he can play the way that comes naturally to him.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
Fabbri is significantly better offensively and Sanford is significantly better defensively. I wouldn’t call that being similar. They don’t even play their positions in a similar style.

Lol especially at the defensive part. I dont recall fabbri ever being a part of the pk. You are right about playing the same position, Sanford plays it the way the blues want him to play it, while fabbri was a healthy scratch. Dont worry Mrs fabbri you can watch you son on fox sports detroit.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Lol especially at the defensive part. I dont recall fabbri ever being a part of the pk. You are right about playing the same position, Sanford plays it the way the blues want him to play it, while fabbri was a healthy scratch. Dont worry Mrs fabbri you can watch you son on fox sports detroit.
Misread much?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
His Corsi is about equal to Ehn's season and his save % about equal to AA. Don't think he is playing with either but haven't watched last few games.
So is it safe to say that he hasn’t had a negative or positive impact on those metrics?

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
Misread much?

Ha yeah I absolutely misread that. I apologize for that. But fabbri is not significantly better offensively. He had 6 points in 36 games last year. And didnt really show anything in the games he played with the blues this year. He didnt fit the system.

Before the injuries 4 years ago his potential was better than Sanford's but that was before 2 knee surgeries now he is what he is, a player that did not fit the blues system and didnt have the trust of the coaching staff.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
So is it safe to say that he hasn’t had a negative or positive impact on those metrics?
No. He has save percentage and corsi as bad as their worst forwards do this year. Not clear whether he is playing with those 2, just that his numbers are awful other than he has a few points.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
No. He has save percentage and corsi as bad as their worst forwards do this year. Not clear whether he is playing with those 2, just that his numbers are awful other than he has a few points.
Filppula and AA are his most common linemates in Detroit

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Fabbri is rocking a nice -7 since joining the Wings and -11 on the year.

-33 in his career and never had a season where hes been a + player.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Fabbri is rocking a nice -7 since joining the Wings and -11 on the year.

-33 in his career and never had a season where hes been a + player.
With 4 starting forwards out of 12 injured...I’d like Fabbri back. The Wings also just lost what 8-1 last night?

I guess we should remember that gif from round 1/game 5 where Hayes blocked his own shot from going in. If that goal would have went in then the Blues most likely don’t get out of the 1st round. Where I’m getting at is Fabbri made about as dumb as a turnover as you can get, leading to that chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad