Rumor: FA signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VI: Goaltending Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
This is probably the best place to ask this... but whatever happened to that "wow" trade that Stauffer has been talking about for the last year and a half?

Seemed like whenever interest in this club has waned, he brought up the possibility of that "wow" trade.

So is Stauffer full of ****, or did the "wow" trade pass them by when the Luongo/Schneider issue was dealt with?

It was conditional on the lockout ending prior to December last year. He was very specific about the conditions that were attached to that "Wow" trade rumor he was floating back then.

It's something that wasn't really relevant throughout the shortened season, or during Mact's offseason when "bold" became the new catch-phrase.

Calgary McOilers

Sep 13, 2008
Calgary
The whole McKenzie thing on the Oilers open to acquiring a d-man doesn't seem like news to me. Did anyone really think MacT wasn't going to be looking at adding those pieces that he missed out on during the summer? Reading the piece on TSN it just doesn't scream to me that MacT is in panic mode and will do something soon, more he is still looking to upgrade his team as are a lot of GM's.

I agree.

Remember just a couple short weeks ago when McKenzie tweeted that the Oilers were looking for a heavyweight enforcer and a lot of us were like "That is totally BS!"??
Well, I think he knows more than we know. His track record indicates it.

I wouldn't be surprise at all if MacT is still trying to upgrade Defence and Goal. He may not be able to pull any triggers yet; however, I can see a deal at trying to improve one of these areas sooner rather than later. We've been given HUGE hints thus far. We just have to be patient.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Remember just a couple short weeks ago when McKenzie tweeted that the Oilers were looking for a heavyweight enforcer and a lot of us were like "That is totally BS!!", "This is ??

I wouldn't be surprise at all if MacT is still trying to upgrade Defence and Goal. He may not be able to pull any triggers yet; however, I can see a deal at trying to improve one of these areas sooner rather than later. We've been given HUGE hints thus far. We just have to be patient.

I'm not discounting McKenzie at all, just he didn't really say a lot. That and it will be tougher to make the move he is now suggesting. Not hard to pick someone up off waivers, but trading for defense help has been tough the pass couple years in the NHL.

Wonder if Gardiner or Coburn are targets.

Gardiner because of cap issues could be a decent pickup.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This is probably the best place to ask this... but whatever happened to that "wow" trade that Stauffer has been talking about for the last year and a half?

Seemed like whenever interest in this club has waned, he brought up the possibility of that "wow" trade.

So is Stauffer full of ****, or did the "wow" trade pass them by when the Luongo/Schneider issue was dealt with?

The name that floated around the most was Luongo and some suggested the deal was close, but Vancouver wanted one of the kids in return for Luongo and the oilers, due to is contract were not willing to give that up. UP the eve of the draft, it was speculated that the oilers/canucks had discussed a Luongo trade, but the canucks were demanding too much. One reason why the canucks did not buy out Luongo was because they would have to put him on waivers and with both Edmonton and Calgary needing goalies--Canucks did not want to see Luongo in the division

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Packaging Eberle is not so much a bold move as it is a panic move IMO. Unless we're trading him for Weber or Petro or something it seems like a step backwards.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
If I was MacT I'd be looking to package Dubnyk/Eberle/Smid to make a "bold" move.

I am really glad you aren't MacT then.

I agree.

Remember just a couple short weeks ago when McKenzie tweeted that the Oilers were looking for a heavyweight enforcer and a lot of us were like "That is totally BS!!", "This is ??

McKenzie doesn't speculate much and when he does, he says so. If he says the Oilers are looking for a D, I believe him.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
McKenzie doesn't speculate much and when he does, he says so. If he says the Oilers are looking for a D, I believe him.

Sure but we knew that as far back as the draft when he was talking with Holmgren. There were all sorts of rumours about trying to get somebody out of Philly that never materialized. Despite all the depth d man pickups and the signing of Ference it's not really a surprise that he's still looking at an upgrade in our top 4.

All he said is that the Oilers are more open for business than most teams after a few games into the season and while they're not going to panic and pick up whatever they can get they are looking to improve in their own end. So defence and goaltending, they're looking.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I don't see MacT making a 'bold' move, like moving Eberle, for a top dman. I see more of a trade for a bigger stay at home #3-4 dman.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Essentially we need a D-man who can at the very least play hard minutes well. Not be dependent on their partner, but play D well on their own. At the very least we need that.

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
Eberle + Labarbera for Gardiner + Reimer seems like the kind of trade Toronto would want. Terrible trade from the Oilers perspective but I could see a desperate GM doing something like this. The idea would be to re-sign Hemsky as Eberle's long term replacement, while patching up the defence and goaltending. The thing is that we are by far giving up the best player and neither Gardiner or Reimer are sure things. With that said for this season alone it probably improves the team, but if we're shopping Ebs we better get something elite back.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I don't see it being one of our big-5.

IMO, a bold trade would involve our 1st.

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
Eberle + Labarbera for Gardiner + Reimer seems like the kind of trade Toronto would want. Terrible trade from the Oilers perspective but I could see a desperate GM doing something like this. The idea would be to re-sign Hemsky as Eberle's long term replacement, while patching up the defence and goaltending. The thing is that we are by far giving up the best player and neither Gardiner or Reimer are sure things.

Toronto actually doesn't want anymore wingers. That wouldn't be a move they'd look for.

Sloth Slothersons*

Eberle + Labarbera for Gardiner + Reimer seems like the kind of trade Toronto would want. Terrible trade from the Oilers perspective but I could see a desperate GM doing something like this. The idea would be to re-sign Hemsky as Eberle's long term replacement, while patching up the defence and goaltending. The thing is that we are by far giving up the best player and neither Gardiner or Reimer are sure things. With that said for this season alone it probably improves the team, but if we're shopping Ebs we better get something elite back.

I'd vomit all over myself several times if that trade went through.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I've watched all the Leafs games so far this year, and I have not been impressed at all with Gardiner.

We need a defensemen who specializes in keeping the puck out of the net, and getting it out of our zone with quick decisions. They are not easy to find, but other than the skating aspect I haven't seen enough from Gardiner to suggest he will ever excel in those areas.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
I'd vomit all over myself several times if that trade went through.

Hahahaahhah I thought the same thing. I'd actually consider wearing a Montreal jersey to the saddle dome tonight in hatred against Mac T.

50a47e79afa96f1ff40012e4.gif

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
Toronto actually doesn't want anymore wingers. That wouldn't be a move they'd look for.

I based the proposition off of Nonis' comment that they would want an elite forward back if they were giving up Gardiner. Eberle is the only "elite" or just "good" forward the Oilers would be willing to trade, assuming MacT's promise to keep Gagner around is true, and that Perron and Gordon are here to stay, and that Hemsky is nearly a UFA and not worth much in a trade for a young dman.

Trading out first rounder for Gardiner could be a more realistic outcome though. Also as long as the price is reasonable I think Reimer could be a good pickup and maybe the easiest answer to our goaltending issues.

PaperDesigner

Mar 1, 2008
Boston fan here.

Krejci + Boychuk

For

Eberle + Klefbom

It's in the ballpark of reasonable. I guess I just don't have a strong enough read on how good a defenceman Boychuk is to see if he merits this trade. Klefbom has top pairing upside, so I'd be a little reluctant to make that deal.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
It's in the ballpark of reasonable. I guess I just don't have a strong enough read on how good a defenceman Boychuk is to see if he merits this trade. Klefbom has top pairing upside, so I'd be a little reluctant to make that deal.

I may be in the minority in this but I'd rather move Yakupov than Eberle.

Eberle stays IMO.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

In this type of deal the Oilers pick up a #1 Centre which they are in desperate need of. They also pick up Boychuk who is a very reliable, veteran, cup winning defensive dman with a bomb of a shot.

The Bruins pick up an excellent winger in Eberle and move Ryan Spooner to the big club where he belongs to play the role of #2 Centre. And Klefbom is potentially a top pairing dman which the Oliers already have plenty of in Schultz and Nurse.

As for the Bruins, they move Bartkowski in the top 6 and both teams are happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad