Rumor: FA signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VI: Goaltending Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
if we can sign him to an extension, our 1st this year + klefbom + maybe a 3rd or mid-tier prospect

Do people realize that Miller has a 6.25 million dollar contract?

He only has one year left, but if he signed an extension for anywhere near that amount - that's got to be a non-starter for the Oilers. I really don't think that's a wise cap expenditure for the Oilers and all the young star players.

There are cheaper options, and unlike many others wailing around here, I don't think goaltending is the only culprit, nor the big fix for what ails this team.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Do people realize that Miller has a 6.25 million dollar contract?

He only has one year left, but if he signed an extension for anywhere near that amount - that's got to be a non-starter for the Oilers. I really don't think that's a wise cap expenditure for the Oilers and all the young star players.

There are cheaper options, and unlike many others wailing around here, I don't think goaltending is the only culprit, nor the big fix for what ails this team.

We just can't play the "what if" game anymore with players in key positions. The wait, see, and hope strategy just hasn't been working, and we see that with our goaltending this season. We need players that we know we can rely on and that we know are going to be good the vast majority of the time. Wallowing for a few more seasons with cheap "maybe" players isn't acceptable to me anymore.

I really don't care what we pay (within some reasonablility) if we are getting a sure thing like Miller locked down.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I like how the TSN/Sportsnet guys keep saying the Oilers will have to trade one of their young potential stars for UFA goaltenders or James Reimer.

Apparently shallow fan proposals pass as professional insider hockey knowledge these days.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I feel like the oilers are shopping for a new TV. They keep waiting because each season a bigger TV becomes available at a cheaper price. They just keep waiting to try to get the best deal but never end up getting the TV that they desperately need.

We just end up going home for 8 years and watch the game on our black and white 20" beast.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
After the last few games, I keep waking up to look at HF and honestly expect to see that we've made a trade or signing, only to be disappointed. Starting to get a little worried that they might expect the team to roll with these 2 for an extended period of time.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I like how the TSN/Sportsnet guys keep saying the Oilers will have to trade one of their young potential stars for UFA goaltenders or James Reimer.

Apparently shallow fan proposals pass as professional insider hockey knowledge these days.

Amazing that every other team in the league can grab a goalie for spare non core parts, but for the Oilers it requires a 1st overall player.

The hockey media has really gone downhill of late.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I feel like the oilers are shopping for a new TV. They keep waiting because each season a bigger TV becomes available at a cheaper price. They just keep waiting to try to get the best deal but never end up getting the TV that they desperately need.

We just end up going home for 8 years and watch the game on our black and white 20" beast.

This is how I feel. We can't wait around anymore and hope a good deal falls on us. We have to be proactive and solidify goaltending once and for all. We've already pissed away 4-6 points this season off goaltending alone, and we can't afford to wait around much longer.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Amazing that every other team in the league can grab a goalie for spare non core parts, but for the Oilers it requires a 1st overall player.

Yeah, they're pretty terrible.

It's as if they are dumbing down to the level of the fake twitter insiders or something.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE

When you post on a board like this as regularily as we do, you realize that the supposed experts on TV really are just as knowledgable as the rest of us.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This is how I feel. We can't wait around anymore and hope a good deal falls on us. We have to be proactive and solidify goaltending once and for all. We've already pissed away 4-6 points this season off goaltending alone, and we can't afford to wait around much longer.

So..... we should give up a core young asset for a one year UFA? What?

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
We just can't play the "what if" game anymore with players in key positions. The wait, see, and hope strategy just hasn't been working, and we see that with our goaltending this season. We need players that we know we can rely on and that we know are going to be good the vast majority of the time. Wallowing for a few more seasons with cheap "maybe" players isn't acceptable to me anymore.

I really don't care what we pay (within some reasonablility) if we are getting a sure thing like Miller locked down.

How much did Ottawa give up for Craig Anderson? What did St. Louis do to get Brian Ellott? Pittsburgh was able to sign Tomas Vokoun (before blood clot) as a FA for cheap.

Jose Theodore is still available, and he would cost zero asset. Ottawa was able to pick up Ben Bishop for cheap from St. Louis. Philly was able to get Steve Mason from Columbus cheaply too. Its not impossible.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
If the oilers can prove they can battle for a playoff spot then u give up the first, like a roloson type deal. Obviously Mac-T knew that goaltending was an issue even before the season started. I don't think a goalie will propell the oilers to above .500 right now anyways, so theres no point in over paying for anything. Right now we're lucky to have gotten Perron from a dump team. Baby steps. Goalie will come, same with top D. Once the team buys in and peforms.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
How much did Ottawa give up for Craig Anderson? What did St. Louis do to get Brian Ellott? Pittsburgh was able to sign Tomas Vokoun (before blood clot) as a FA for cheap.

Jose Theodore is still available, and he would cost zero asset. Ottawa was able to pick up Ben Bishop for cheap from St. Louis. Philly was able to get Steve Mason from Columbus cheaply too. Its not impossible.

Those sound like a whole lot of "maybes" to me. There's a much higher chance that all those goalies you listed turn out to be the same or not much better than what we have now. We can wait around and make a deal on the cheap but that isn't going to happen until te trade deadline, and that's assuming that there are going to be decent cheap guys available. We can make a move for a sure thing and solidify goaltending right now and possibly salvage the season, or we can write the year off and get someone that might be good at the deadline.

And no, I wouldn't even consider moving one of the big 4 for Miller, but I would strongly consider the first rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->