F Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I just saw part of the Russia game but I was a bit surprised at his skating which didn't seem all that great. I don't follow prospects real close but I thought I would have heard about that. It's true that that game has really great skaters in it, but then again so will the NHL.

He's a far cry from the MacKinnon/McDavid's of the world but his skating is good. I guess that's why we hear more Bergeron/Toews comparisons stylistically.

Wright's biggest offensive tool is his shot by far, we're talking one of the better wrist shots ever at this age all things considered (release speed, shot power, and accuracy are all elite). I see the Barzal and Bergeron comparisons in terms of all-around style but neither of them nor Toews could shoot the puck anywhere near Wright's level when they were his age. Heck, he might have the best release out of the bunch right now.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
He's a far cry from the MacKinnon/McDavid's of the world but his skating is good. I guess that's why we hear more Bergeron/Toews comparisons stylistically.

Wright's biggest offensive tool is his shot by far, we're talking one of the better wrist shots ever at this age all things considered (release speed, shot power, and accuracy are all elite). I see the Barzal and Bergeron comparisons in terms of all-around style but neither of them nor Toews could shoot the puck anywhere near Wright's level when they were his age. Heck, he might have the best release out of the bunch right now.

Would work out nicely for Canada as Stamkos is breaking down and they could use a new power play triggerman.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hard to think of a comparable for Wright. I think he has the potential to score more points than Bergeron, yet will likely be a better goal scorer than Zetterberg. A name that comes to mind is Sergei Fedorov. Hope he stays on track

He reminds me of Eichel with more of a shooting mentality, so I say a cross between Eichel and Seguin.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just saw part of the Russia game but I was a bit surprised at his skating which didn't seem all that great. I don't follow prospects real close but I thought I would have heard about that. It's true that that game has really great skaters in it, but then again so will the NHL.

I think you are probably just looking for the wrong things in his skating. He doesn't have anywhere near the explosiveness or raw speed of players like McDavid or MacKinnon, but he has a very long and lanky stride. He gets around the ice well, and covers a lot of ground at an above-average speed. His skating is much more comparable to Eichel, who most would consider a good or very-good skating as opposed to an elite skater, like McDavid.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
My impression watching his tournament. He was the best player at the tournament. I didn't think it was that close. He impacted every part of the game. I think he's looking like the clear 1OA for 2022. There are some players with very intriguing upside in 2022. A few players I think would be 1OA in 2021, but there's just nobody that comes close to being as proven, lacking the holes, and being as currently dominant as Wright. I think 2022 may be a draft where there's not much competition for the top spot.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
My impression watching his tournament. He was the best player at the tournament. I didn't think it was that close. He impacted every part of the game. I think he's looking like the clear 1OA for 2022. There are some players with very intriguing upside in 2022. A few players I think would be 1OA in 2021, but there's just nobody that comes close to being as proven, lacking the holes, and being as currently dominant as Wright. I think 2022 may be a draft where there's not much competition for the top spot.
^^ Terrific post ^^

While I am still rooting for M.S. to show he belongs in the conversation for 1OA, I thought Wright was amazing.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
My kid missed making a very good AAA team in 2012. He was the very last kid cut (every hockey dad says this but there were only two kids left). What always bothered me is there was this kid playing up a year that made the team. I felt like "Why does this 2004 kid need to play up a year and take my kid's spot, why can't he just dominate his age group?" or something.

In the end, if you're gonna get cut, getting cut for a potential #1 overall draft pick in Shane Wright ain't a bad story to have :)

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax

We might never know what his injury was that kept him out of two games at U18s, but I suspect it was lower body because I have seen him skate faster. His stride is great and as he adds strength, he'll get faster, but he showed better speed with Don Mills and with Kingston than he did at U18s.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think you are probably just looking for the wrong things in his skating. He doesn't have anywhere near the explosiveness or raw speed of players like McDavid or MacKinnon, but he has a very long and lanky stride. He gets around the ice well, and covers a lot of ground at an above-average speed. His skating is much more comparable to Eichel, who most would consider a good or very-good skating as opposed to an elite skater, like McDavid.

I would very much consider Eichel an elite skater, not the same level of edges as McDavid but straight ahead speed likely just as fast

Reactions: The Sweetness

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Buffalo we're coming for you Wright.

Wright ..
FarBlissfulGalapagoshawk-size_restricted.gif

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
How would you guys say he compares to Lafreniere? Does he project as a 80-90pt 1C, or more 70-80pt with great defensive play? I haven't seen much of him outside of the WJC.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
How would you guys say he compares to Lafreniere? Does he project as a 80-90pt 1C, or more 70-80pt with great defensive play? I haven't seen much of him outside of the WJC.
I think Wright has the skill to be a 1C who can score 90 to 100 points in a good situation. As for defence? The comparisons to Bergeron are not unwarranted, but I think Wright has more offensive upside than Bergeron, who topped out at 79 points (albeit in only 65 games in 2018-19).

Lafreniere is a winger and more physical while Wright is more cerebral using his hockey sense and edges. Can you think of another right-shot two-way centre who played like that?

Reactions: Dominance

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I think Wright has the skill to be a 1C who can score 90 to 100 points in a good situation. As for defence? The comparisons to Bergeron are not unwarranted, but I think Wright has more offensive upside than Bergeron, who topped out at 79 points (albeit in only 65 games in 2018-19).

Lafreniere is a winger and more physical while Wright is more cerebral using his hockey sense and edges. Can you think of another right-shot two-way centre who played like that?

I'd say Lafreniere is way more cerebral than Wright and has much better hockey sense. In fact, that is probably Lafreniere's best asset. Wright is a shoot-first player who generates offense by himself and not through his high-end thinking of the game. In my opinion at least. I think he can score 40 to 50 goals per season in the NHL.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
All i know is that i hope he goes to a team who can help bring out his potential. Id hate to see him waste his career on say the Sabers.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia

His defensive side really impressed me watching him for Kingston. You’d see several times during the game where Chromiak and Wisdom would drift out of the play and Wright would make great defensive recovery. He also is not afraid of the physical contact, he seems to enjoy playing along the boards and taking contact.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Looking forward to Wright having an exceptional season next year + World Juniors and the Senior Men's tournament before Draft Day.

EichelFan15

May 7, 2021
He mentioned on 31 thoughts that he fractured his foot and got strep throat at the u-18’s - speaks to his character that he played through. I think he probably goes to the men’s world championship if not still recovering.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
If there had been an OHL season in 2020-21, we would have seen Wright compete with and against players born in 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, and 2000 nearly 70 times before the playoffs, which offer a whole new challenge.

Instead, he played a whopping 0 games in 14 months and then 5 games in about 10 days with and against 2003s (with a few scattered 2004s and 2005s).

Empirically, that’s a tiny sample size against competition Wright should (and did) shred, even with a fractured ankle and STREP.

I’m not crapping on the U18s of the world but they aren’t the competition Shane Wright needs to help him develop into a top flight professional hockey player. He needs to go nose-to-nose against experienced, physically mature 18-20 year olds in major junior hockey, guys who force him to get better and in many ways teach him how, night after night. And yes, like all youngsters with a bright future, he needs tough minutes and matchups, to have his lunch handed to him every now and again because that’s how champions are built.

I feel very sorry for the kid, by the way. He couldn’t go Euro-pro as a 16 year old (he didn’t turn 17 until January 05) and thus wasn’t eligible for a work visa. Also, unlike the WHL, the OHL would not loan any players to the USHL or NAHL, which really hurt. So Wright was shit out of luck for well over a year and by the time he plays his first OHL regular season game in 2021, it will be at least 18 months between major junior hockey thrills.

I’m bringing all of this up because we honestly do not know where Shane Wright stands, developmentally, right now. How could we? The hype is based on 5 games against questionable competition and 14-month-old memories.

Years from now, the impact of this lost OHL season will become much clearer. I’m hoping Wright isn’t hurt by it, but time really will tell us.

Reactions: Hacketts

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
He mentioned on 31 thoughts that he fractured his foot and got strep throat at the u-18’s - speaks to his character that he played through. I think he probably goes to the men’s world championship if not still recovering.
Not surprised it was Lower-body related. (well one was at least) In the first Sweden game I thought his skating was noticibly better than his OHL season, then when he came back it seemed just 'ok', and he wasn't going gung-ho into the corner's as much. Explains a lot.

Reactions: JotAlan

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

Wow, that makes his U18 performance even more spectacular. Agreed, he would have been named to the WC team if he was healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia