F Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
How would you guys say he compares to Lafreniere? Does he project as a 80-90pt 1C, or more 70-80pt with great defensive play? I haven't seen much of him outside of the WJC.
He reminds me of Stamkos but with a better 200ft game. I think his potential is probably a 40-40 Selke center, obviously it's no guarantee but to me that'll likely be his ceiling.

And as for his skating, he's still young loads of time for that to round out.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think Wright has the skill to be a 1C who can score 90 to 100 points in a good situation. As for defence? The comparisons to Bergeron are not unwarranted, but I think Wright has more offensive upside than Bergeron, who topped out at 79 points (albeit in only 65 games in 2018-19).

Lafreniere is a winger and more physical while Wright is more cerebral using his hockey sense and edges. Can you think of another right-shot two-way centre who played like that?

One day people will stop comparing every good two way C prospect to Bergeron.

But today is not that day.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England

Attachments

• 71A9192C-AC27-4179-9AFD-BBE5306DEDE7.png
    71A9192C-AC27-4179-9AFD-BBE5306DEDE7.png
    201.5 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: Rebels57

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
One day people will stop comparing every good two way C prospect to Bergeron.

But today is not that day.
I wasn't comparing him to Bergeron, others have, but you're right, today is not the day. It will likely happen when he's no longer the standard for two-way centres in the NHL.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I wasn't comparing him to Bergeron, others have, but you're right, today is not the day. It will likely happen when he's no longer the standard for two-way centres in the NHL.

He's not anymore and hasn't been since 2017. Still top 5 though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wouldn’t put much into it. They also selected Stan Bowman’s son. When you have so many picks, you can throw a few away. Most teams don’t even make all their picks. How can it hurt to take Wright? In the off chance he has a falling out with the Kingston management that is bad enough to cause him to want to leave, using that late round pick on Wright can’t hurt.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I wouldn’t put much into it. They also selected Stan Bowman’s son. When you have so many picks, you can throw a few away. Most teams don’t even make all their picks. How can it hurt to take Wright? In the off chance he has a falling out with the Kingston management that is bad enough to cause him to want to leave, using that late round pick on Wright can’t hurt.
It’s 100% in case the OHL is still unable to start in September.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Is that a real possibility? It seems as if vaccinations in Ontario are starting to ramp up. I would think it’d be unlikely that it wouldn’t start on time.
Possible? Yes, if variants continue to mutate and vaccinations are not effective against them. Likely? No.

Keep in mind, Canada is behind the U.S. on vaccinations. We only have about 5% of our population fully vaccinated at this point, compared to 40% in the U.S. They're saying herd immunity is not reached until that hits about 75-80 per cent -- and that assumes the vaccines are effective against all variants, which is a bit hopeful.

I expect OHL to be back in action, but this is a low-risk, high-reward gamble for Chicago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
Imagine Fantilli stays with Chicago. That team would be loaded
Then also imagine if Matvei Michkov came strolling over. Drafted last year by the Steel.
Ryan Hardy is good at finding talent, but on the flip side, a lot of the talent he finds is the talent everyone knows about.

Reactions: Dominance

EichelFan15

May 7, 2021
Then also imagine if Matvei Michkov came strolling over. Drafted last year by the Steel.
Ryan Hardy is good at finding talent, but on the flip side, a lot of the talent he finds is the talent everyone knows about.
Going head to head with Dubuque who could have Bedard and Savoie. Dare to dream.

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
A very bad NHL team has a good chance to get two of them -- Wright in 2022 and Bedard or Michkov in 2023. Imagine that? A real possibility.
Seattle is a good candidate.
Anaheim also.
I could see Seattle being Wright, Berard & Hughes down the road. Would be a nice Hughes v. Hughes pacific border battle between Vancouver v. Seattle

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
A very bad NHL team has a good chance to get two of them -- Wright in 2022 and Bedard or Michkov in 2023. Imagine that? A real possibility.
Do you realize the odds for winning the lottery as the last place team are somewhere around 16%?

The odds of winning two years in a row even if the same team is last both years is 2%.

In what world is that a “good chance”? It’s akin to the odds of a team just missing the playoffs winning the draft - it can happen but the odds are tiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad