F Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Even with Bedard stealing the show tonight, Wright has 3 primary assists. Him and Bedard should be at the World Juniors next season.

Reactions: jj cale

PeterCheater

Feb 22, 2014
In all this Bedard Michkov hype...Wright was actually the best player in the u18 tournament.
Yeah, he would have received the MVP and won a scoring title if he had played all games.

Kinda funny he was the 3rd-most coveraged guy here as the best player and '22 first pick, definitely a tournament to remember, insane amount of talent.

I expect sensational D-season from Wright.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Just set the Canadian record for goals with 9 as an underaged played at the u18 and captained the team to gold - missed 2 games and still tied for the team lead in pts.

Have to think he leads the tournament in pts if he plays every game.
For sure. The goal record is for all ages, not just underagers. He should have won MVP -- with his offence and two-way play? A major blunder that he was left off post-tournament honour roll.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Prior to the u-18 wjc, his last real game was from March 8th 2020 (Sudbury Wolves)*, exactly 435 days ago
imagine how many goals and points he would of scored, if he had played in the OHL this season.

*game that they lost 8 to nothing
And didn't miss two games of the tournament. His PPG was higher than Michkov's and he played a better two-way game and in all situations.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Also belongs to next year's draft already. Bedard and Michkov dominated the tournament while being the youngest players so their hype is quite understandable. All credit for his performance though, but it's in a different context.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Consider, too, that the IIHF messed up the scoring on a Dylan Guenther goal and gave an assist to Ethan Del Mastro instead of Wright. Had they gotten the scoring correct -- which they didn't even though it was pointed out to them and mentioned on the TSN broadcast by Craig Button -- Wright would have had 15 points in 5 games. 3 points per game* as a 16-year-old is pretty darn impressive. *if IIHF corrects scoring on goal vs. Czech Republic, which I don't anticipate.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Looks like my boy didn't miss a beat even after all that time off without playing a single meaningful game due to the COVID OHL stoppage.
True.

A lot of Canadian fans (myself included) were worried but a lot of pro players and scouts did not think the time off would be that big of a deal. Looks like they were right. I guess there is no such thing as rust when you are 16 - 17.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Hard to think of a comparable for Wright. I think he has the potential to score more points than Bergeron, yet will likely be a better goal scorer than Zetterberg. A name that comes to mind is Sergei Fedorov. Hope he stays on track

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Hard to think of a comparable for Wright. I think he has the potential to score more points than Bergeron, yet will likely be a better goal scorer than Zetterberg. A name that comes to mind is Sergei Fedorov. Hope he stays on track
Toews. Gamer who wills his team to win and has an excellent all around skillset. Perhaps more offensive upside

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Toews. Gamer who wills his team to win and has an excellent all around skillset. Perhaps more offensive upside

I didn't want to compare him to anyone more than an inch taller or shorter. However I just realized that according to Eliteprospects Wright is 6'1 , though last season he seemed closer to 5'11. I think Wright has 35+55 type potential, more offensive upside than Bergeron or Toews

Reactions: Mathieukferland

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Haven’t seen a first overall pick come in and make a serious impact on the league and his team since Matthews, I bet Wright will be the next to do it

Reactions: Korg

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax

I like the Toews comparison better than Bergeron, in terms of style. Wright himself has said that he patterns his game after Matt Barzal and I see a lot of similarities, although Wright's defensive game and faceoff skills are first-rate.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
I just saw part of the Russia game but I was a bit surprised at his skating which didn't seem all that great. I don't follow prospects real close but I thought I would have heard about that. It's true that that game has really great skaters in it, but then again so will the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->