F Seth Jarvis - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2020, 13th, CAR)

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
At Colorado's spot? There's no way Jarvis falls that low.

Jarvis has just as much "stand out skill", if not more so, than any player who is going to be available at 30. The only guys who might be available there that have comparable skill will be much riskier picks than Jarvis. Like Hirvonen, Nybeck, or the small Russians - Khusnutdinov, Pashin, Gushchin.
I suggested trading up to get closer to the 20th pick, hence the discussion about him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I suggested trading up to get closer to the 20th pick, hence the discussion about him.

Yeah if he's available at #20 you definitely make some calls and check on the price.

I don't see why there would be any more worry about his "translatability" factor than other players in that range. It looks like he can add some mass, and he's not as short as a lot of guys in this draft. He'd also be fast even at the NHL level, and execution at top speed in limited windows is already what Jarvis does best. You'd worry more about the guy who relies on full separation and needs a lot of space, or the 190 lb kid who needs to be stronger than others to be effective.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
What an insane development curve thou.

2017-2018: finished in 11th in CSSHL scoring, 10th in PPG
(played 11 games in WHL, no goals, 2 assists
- not in any early 2020 draft rankings

2018-2019: finished in 112th in WHL scoring, 131st in PPG

2019-2020: finished 2nd in WHL scoring, 2nd in PPG
- beginning/early of the season, not in any in 2020 draft rankings
- after the season; is ranked 11th, 12th, 16th, 18th, 29th
in the 2020 draft

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
What an insane development curve thou.

2017-2018: finished in 11th in CSSHL scoring, 10th in PPG
(played 11 games in WHL, no goals, 2 assists

2018-2019: finished in 112th in WHL scoring, 131st in PPG

2019-2020: finished 2nd in WHL scoring, 2nd in PPG
- beginning/early of the season, not in any in 2020 draft rankings
- after the season; is ranked 11th, 12th, 16th, 18th, 29th
in the 2020 draft
He was a 1st round bantam pick and led/or was close to leading the WHL in points for 16 year olds last year so its not like he came out of nowhere. Had the most points for any 16 year old under MJ.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He was a 1st round bantam pick and led/or was close to leading the WHL in points for 16 year olds last year so its not like he came out of nowhere. Had the most points for any 16 year old under MJ.

For most experts, agencies thou, hie did, come out of nowhere.
Nobody registered him before at some point this season.

Besides, you can't seriously disagree of his development?.
- almost tripled his goal total from last season, more than doubled his point total
and no, it doesn't happen normally to rookies, to take this kinds of steps forwards

- and how he has played this season, you now, other that scoring loads of goals and points
thou i have to admit, like most of us, didn't follow him last season, so i can only
talk about this season

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Jarvis will be interesting to follow into the pros. There are some concerns about how his game will translate, but thats what will make it interesting.

Reactions: Muffinalt

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Led his team in

PPG
Goals
Assists
SOG
PPA
PPP
GWG
SHG

and in first goals
+ probably in even number goals, assists and points as well

In the WHL:

2nd in ppg
2nd in goals
2nd in points
2nd in +/-
3rd in gwg
5th in assists
15th in sog
16th in ppa

Jarvis is a prospect I didn't get to see much of this year outside of highlights. With that being said, is Jarvis being undervalued in 2020 because he's from the WHL and there's extra emphasis on OHL players at the draft this year?
Is he right where he belongs? Or is he an overvalued prospect because statistical production?

What are some NHL comparables, and what kind of projection is there for him?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Jarvis is a prospect I didn't get to see much of this year outside of highlights. With that being said, is Jarvis being undervalued in 2020 because he's from the WHL and there's extra emphasis on OHL players at the draft this year?
Is he right where he belongs? Or is he an overvalued prospect because statistical production?

What are some NHL comparables, and what kind of projection is there for him?
There’s no extra emphasis on the OHL, there is never an emphasis on any league. The best players get the most emphasis, Jarvis included. He seems to be right where he should be, a guy who could be picked anywhere from 10-20, give or take.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
He played RW this year, right?
NHL CSS and McKenzie have him listed as a C.

He lined up at center more frequently when I watched but the belief is he will play right wing at the next level. Similar physical stature to Marner.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
He played RW this year, right?
NHL CSS and McKenzie have him listed as a C.
He spent the whole season at RW really. Had a rotation of centers for the first half of the season until Jack O'Brien got put on his line and had instant chemistry. Projects as a winger at the next level due to his size but he is a good playmaker and shows good hustle and effort defensively so perhaps he could play the middle like he did in midget and lower levels but it's highly unlikely.

Reactions: lanky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad