F Seth Jarvis - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2020, 13th, CAR)

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
A couple of things:

1: has speed to almost turn a guy wide at this level, but not enough. Also isn’t strong enough on his skates to keep his position if he gets inside. Then again, T-Birds have a Flyers sized D from when Farwell was GM there.

2: On the PP, he sets up at the Ovie spot, but drifts out of range with zero pressure.

Reactions: McGilliScout

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
2 goals tonight after 20. 1st on the PP, 2nd one where he undressed the D with a slo-Mo dangle.

Was at this game. Saw this deke live. It looked like Jarvis went into bullet time out of the Matrix. Not sure if he's a Baertschi or a Panarin. I think he lacks the dynamics necessary to be an elite player at the NHL level but the kid's stickhandling is unreal. What's fun is my seats are always right next to where NHL scouts sit and this kid had that game in front of one of the biggest sellouts of scouts I've ever seen at a T-Birds game.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Curious if anyone has seen him play. Really liked him in minor hockey, now he's hitting his stride in junior with 8 points in 11 games to start his 16 year old season.

Seth Jarvis at eliteprospects.com

27984.jpg

I had to take a double take with his picture, is he 17 or 27?

That being said he is a very good prospect IMO.

Speaking of guys who looked good in minor hockey, what the hell happened to Holden Kodak?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
kid needs power skating lessons and to work on his leg strength. He's not fast enough to play this way in the NHL. Someone mentioned Brendl earlier, he's in no way that slow lol, but he leaves a lot to be desired with his skating. Not stylistically, but just in terms of the quality of player he reminds me of Merkley in what he's doing in his draft year but with a few bigger holes in his game particularly with skating and footspeed. Wouldn't be surprised if he's drafted around the same spot too. Intriguing prospect but a lot of work needs to be done.

Christien

May 1, 2010
For those that are curious about Seth Jarvis here is a little scouting report I made on my Youtube Channel. Let me know what you think

I really enjoy watching all of your draft profile videos, I think I’ve seen every single one of them. Definitely one of, if not the best draft channel on YouTube :thumbu: Are you planning on doing a Raymond/Drysdale video in the future?

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
Thank you :) Glad you like the content on the channel :thumbu: Yes I will do almost all the players in the first round. For Euros I'm trying to push back a little and I'm crossing my fingers I will be able to get some additional footage from the U18. There's a few players that I would like to include some playoffs footage too.

Hopefully I have enough time. I will also be doing a big top 31 list with my final ranking.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
kid needs power skating lessons and to work on his leg strength. He's not fast enough to play this way in the NHL. Someone mentioned Brendl earlier, he's in no way that slow lol, but he leaves a lot to be desired with his skating. Not stylistically, but just in terms of the quality of player he reminds me of Merkley in what he's doing in his draft year but with a few bigger holes in his game particularly with skating and footspeed. Wouldn't be surprised if he's drafted around the same spot too. Intriguing prospect but a lot of work needs to be done.
I don’t know how you watch Jarvis and think that his skating is a major issue

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

Yeah I don't see it at all. I think he's an excellent skater and in multiple facets -- speed, balance, agility, acceleration, edgework. It's a huge part of his game. A lot of his points come in open ice and his speed plays a big part in that. Even if he was an average skater (which he certainly isn't), he's so damn smart and instinctive that the puck is his for the taking anyway.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
From my limited views, doesn’t have the top gear(yet)to make NHL sized D at a junior level show their numbers. If he can’t do it now, gonna be tough at his size to do it next level.

Love his edgework, love his play off the puck, but isuccess at the next level isall predicated on the margins.

The other question is how much O’Brien is driving play on that line, as in my limited views I noticed O’Brien way more than Jarvis.

I’m they guy who would rather walk in blind and let the play on ice tell me who to follow.

Reactions: greasysnapper

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
From my limited views, doesn’t have the top gear(yet)to make NHL sized D at a junior level show their numbers. If he can’t do it now, gonna be tough at his size to do it next level.

Love his edgework, love his play off the puck, but isuccess at the next level isall predicated on the margins.

The other question is how much O’Brien is driving play on that line, as in my limited views I noticed O’Brien way more than Jarvis.

I’m they guy who would rather walk in blind and let the play on ice tell me who to follow.

Jarvis doesn’t play on the same line as O’Brien. They both play center. Jarvis is completely driving his line. He is a great 2 way player. I’ve only been to a couple games lately but Jarvis is constantly creating turnovers and leading the rush the other way.

I don’t see skating as an issue.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

I've seen him play 48 games in the last 3 seasons including 6 games for the u17s. Did I say major issue? No. I said a lot of work needs to be done because he doesn't have high end speed. And that lack of high end speed will prevent him from playing how he plays at the pro level unless dealt with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad