F Seth Jarvis - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2020, 13th, CAR)

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Has 2 goals so far tonight to reach 90 points on the year. With 9 games remaining for Portland he has a chance to be the first WHL draft eligible player to hit 100 points since Nolan Patrick.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
For those that are curious about Seth Jarvis here is a little scouting report I made on my Youtube Channel. Let me know what you think

Great job! I noticed him using his skates a lot at the U17 lol. This guy is riser for sure, I haven't seen much of him this year, he was looking like the smartest player in the tournament. I thought his speed was ok, but from this clip, it looks like he gain speed and lots of it. He could he a great pick up for MTL. His style of play is perfect for us. If we draft 10-11 I pick him or Quinn.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Seth realllly wants to get that 100 points this season it seems....

I predicted that Adam Beckman would be, most likely only one this season to get to 100 points but
Seth Jarvis has gone on a point rampage. 29 points (12 games) in a month for Seth.
- 7 x 3 point or more games within those 12 games

Unofficially, another 3 points (1+2) tonight in a 11-2 beat down over the Americans
= 41 goals, 53 assists, 94 points in 56 games so far this season

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
He's top 8 on my list. I'd only consider picking Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Rossi, Drysdale, Raymond and Holtz ahead of him.

Has speed, skill, agility, production, tenacity, two-way play. Literally every quality you could want in a player with no significant shortcomings.

In a few years he'll be replicating what Konecny's doing in the NHL right now or better.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Seth Jarvis with another 3 point game...
3rd in 4 games...and 6th in 11 games (one being a 5 point game).

All of the sudden Seth is only 3 points shy of 100 points.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Don't want to side track the Zary thread too much but that's the closest comp I have for Jarvis atm. Yamamoto was more polished his draft year as he had a extra year due to late bday and he played a little more engaged than Jarvis does. Jarvis is a high upside player but there is some risk with him compared to a Neighbours who has a lower ceiling but high floor. In todays nhl I think Jarvis can get by but to thrive he'll have to keep working on his skating and learn to play tougher like Yamamoto did in the ahl
Bringing this over from the Zary thread.

Would you say Jarvis plays more of a skill game while Yamamoto relies more on tenacity and grit?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Bringing this over from the Zary thread.

Would you say Jarvis plays more of a skill game while Yamamoto relies more on tenacity and grit?
both are more skilled players but as yamamoto has entered pro hockey he's learned he has to play a more in your face style to succeed. We really won't know if Jarvis will adjust well until he starts his pro career. Main thing for Jarvis over the next 2+ years is to keep improving his skill set to make the transition easier

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
His stat line is much more impressive than what the eye test says. Not a bit fan of him personally, one of those "dominant junior player who won't be as good in the pros" type of player.

I agree. I think he's an interesting prospect, but people are overhyping him like crazy. He's lacking in a number of areas that will make him dominant at the pro level.

I've been watching a lot of Portland games on Neulion, and I have to admit, the kids that gets me hyped on this team are Newkirk (Islanders) and Hanas.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I agree. I think he's an interesting prospect, but people are overhyping him like crazy. He's lacking in a number of areas that will make him dominant at the pro level.

I've been watching a lot of Portland games on Neulion, and I have to admit, the kids that gets me hyped on this team are Newkirk (Islanders) and Hanas.
What do you think is lacking?

Not trying to catch you off guard, genuinely curious!

Reactions: Gardiner Expressway

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

That’s how it goes. Every player talked about as a first rounder has the ceiling of a major award winner and the floor of a good second liner.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
What do you think is lacking?

Not trying to catch you off guard, genuinely curious!
The size/speed combo is troublesome(below average size; almost, but not quite, fast enough), will need to find holes in coverage to get his shot off against pros. Below average players need to put up borderline obscene numbers. Like Danny Briere kind of numbers. What does a shorter, slighter Tolvanen get you as an NHLer?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
His stat line is much more impressive than what the eye test says. Not a bit fan of him personally, one of those "dominant junior player who won't be as good in the pros" type of player.

I agree in that he appears to be a slightly better version of 2 recent winter hawk stars in Nicolas Petan and Brendan Leipsic although he does have a higher ceiling and sometimes this type of guy does "make it" in the NHL.

All too often though they become AHL stars but never quite good enough to be a top 6 NHLer on a SC contending team.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if he makes it either as he is better than the 2 guys I mentioned.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree in that he appears to be a slightly better version of 2 recent winter hawk stars in Nicolas Petan and Brendan Leipsic although he does have a higher ceiling and sometimes this type of guy does "make it" in the NHL.

All too often though they become AHL stars but never quite good enough to be a top 6 NHLer on a SC contending team.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if he makes it either as he is better than the 2 guys I mentioned.
His skating is a lot better than those two, and he's much more well-rounded. I think his potential is a tier or two above them. He's closer to Marner or Ehlers in terms of his potential as a small winger.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
His skating is a lot better than those two, and he's much more well-rounded. I think his potential is a tier or two above them. He's closer to Marner or Ehlers in terms of his potential as a small winger.

Sure that's fair as he is a better talent than the 2 guys I mentioned but he is likely to fall somewhere in the spectrum between the 4 guys which is extremely large.

He is also the best goal scorer of the 4 and that might just be the difference of where he lands up as well.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Jarvis talks about his surge.

Jarvis elevates production, stock before draft

“I think it’s a mixture of the hard work you put in and timing. I was playing with a really good winger on my line, Jaydon Dureau. He had a really good season that flew under the radar. With him helping me out everything clicked into place. That’s kind of how that all happened.”

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Could be a good option for the Devils with Coyotes pick barring they dont win the lottery this year. His stats adjusted are a higher ppg than Draisaitl and Nugent Hopkins according to eliteprospects. To get a player of that skillset in the middle of the 1dt round could be a steal. He certainly doesnt have those players hype.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Could be a good option for the Devils with Coyotes pick barring they dont win the lottery this year. His stats adjusted are a higher ppg than Draisaitl and Nugent Hopkins according to eliteprospects. To get a player of that skillset in the middle of the 1dt round could be a steal. He certainly doesnt have those players hype.
I like Jarvis, but you can't look at his stats and assume he's a Drai/Nuge level prospect.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I like Jarvis, but you can't look at his stats and assume he's a Drai/Nuge level prospect.
But you can look at his stats and see he clearly must be talented when producing better numbers than those 2 in their draft years...Maybe it's his size or him flying under the radar but the kid can be a steal if he really falls to the latter 3rd of the 1st round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad