F Nicholas Robertson - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2019, 53rd, TOR)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A high end draft eligible 18 year old playing in the CHL likely plays 80-95 games in their draft year [CHL season, CHL playoffs, international play (Hlinka, WJC, U-18s)].

Those lads ride the bus and get used to the grind (look at the WHL travel schedule, it makes riding the AHL circuit on the bus blush).

The CHL and it’s grind trains players for the NHL better than any league. Period. End of discussion, you’re just wrong thinking playing against the mid 20s scrub players playing 30-40 games a year in the NCAA better prepares a player for the NHL.

Take the L lad. You’re just wrong.

I'm sorry, but this approach is just ridiculous. I can accept it if you wanted to make an argument against mine, but your opinion is not a fact. Anyone who isn't trying to play internet argument winner would acknowledge that there isn't a widespread consensus on how to judge leagues. We are all just fans who are trying to give our opinions. None of us are right or wrong. You included. Acting rude and trying to be forceful about your opinion doesn't change that what you are saying is an opinion, not a fact.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I'd say the facts with the NCAA-CHL comparison are as follows:
- the CHL typically produces more talented prospects that go on to be productive NHLers, as history would evidence
- the NCAA is a harder lead to excel in during a player's draft year or D+1 (based on age of competition), as statistics would demonstrate

The question of which league is better for development is definitely up for discussion; I'd argue it was probably the CHL for a long time, but the NCAA has clearly closed the gap in recent years. I don't think anyone can argue it's a closed debate one way or another.

With respect to Robertson, his year in the OHL from a goalscoring perspective was almost unprecedented (although I know scoring was up leaguewide). I'm stoked to see him in action tonight

Reactions: Voight

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'm sorry, but this approach is just ridiculous. I can accept it if you wanted to make an argument against mine, but your opinion is not a fact. Anyone who isn't trying to play internet argument winner would acknowledge that there isn't a widespread consensus on how to judge leagues. We are all just fans who are trying to give our opinions. None of us are right or wrong. You included. Acting rude and trying to be forceful about your opinion doesn't change that what you are saying is an opinion, not a fact.

It’s when you dig your heels in that frustrates my response.

I respect your intellect and general hockey knowledge enough to deem it worth responding to. You generally come across as a passionate and knowledgeable fan. It’s very clear you love hockey. So respect there, and I’m being sincere.

It’s the unrelenting digging your heels in on subject you don’t know about that comes across in bad form, in any event, the CHL historically, currently, and going forward will remain the best place for preparing future NHL stars.

The CHL “hold back rule” for drafted prospects allows those 16-18 year olds to really develop into future NHL players. They’re playing against 1st round NHL picks when they’re kids.

The CHL is the best league preparing players for future NHL play, not the NCAA. And to be clear that’s not to dismiss post secondary education or university just purely discussing preparing a player to be an NHLer. That’s the subject matter at hand.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's evidence for an opinion. There is no widely agreed upon measure of how to judge the quality of different leagues, so I don't think we are talking in anything other than opinions here.

The CHL has more NHL level talent than the NCAA. Thats why it produces more NHL'ers. I'm not sure that proves or suggests its a better league.

And I agree that it's a silly discussion. There are plenty of reasons, besides quality of leagues, why Makar and McAvoy are not good comparisons for Robertson's current situation.

It proves it is because the majority of top young players know their best route for development is thru the CHL. Theres a reason the likes of McDavid, MackInnon, Crosby, Tavares etc never even flirted with the NCAA.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It proves it is because the majority of top young players know their best route for development is thru the CHL. Theres a reason the likes of McDavid, MackInnon, Crosby, Tavares etc never even flirted with the NCAA.
Both MacKinnon and Crosby flirted with the NCAA. MacKinnon even went to USHL practices to show his bluff about not reporting to anyone but Halifax.

Either development path works. I don't think Toews has any regrets about fast-tracking, turning down the WHL and playing for NoDak, just like Patrick Kane has no regrets about reporting to London. Both have their positives and negatives from a player development standpoint. No system is perfect.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Thats not the discussion. It's a discussion of which league is better preparation for the NHL. It's not a discussion of which league produces the most NHL'ers or best NHL'ers.

Your opinion is also not proof. None of our opinions are proof. It's amazing how people don't understand this.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He looked decent in his first period (exhibition). A few nice plays where you can see the high level.

Didn't jump off the page but didn't look out of place at all (so far).

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
NCAA is not higher quality of hockey. The best of the best of NHL players, played in the CHL, with a couple NCAA stars and European players sprinkled in. The only difference between the NCAA and CHL, is age. Robertson will be 19 in a couple of months and should be given a chance, to play in the NHL.

The NCAA is undoubtedly a higher level of hockey than the CHL. That isn’t really up for debate. More future NHL players may come from the CHL but they’re younger hockey players and the lower end players are much lower level.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The NCAA is undoubtedly a higher level of hockey than the CHL. That isn’t really up for debate. More future NHL players may come from the CHL but they’re younger hockey players and the lower end players are much lower level.

Yeah 9 times out of 10 an NCAA team is beating a CHL team without a doubt. The teams are better up there and theyre men. The players are generally higher potential obviously in the CHL though and most stars go that route. That doesnt mean shit about the quality of the league though

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
Most NCAA teams would stomp a CHL team, but more good players come out of the CHL. It's just like how Canada's Spengler Cup Team would most likely stomp the Canadian WJC team, but the WJC team will likely produce more future NHL stars.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Looking pretty good through his first 2 periods in the exhibition game. Working hard, skating fast, pretty confident with the puck for his first game, and just picked up an assist on a solid shift. No real "rookie moments" yet. So far I'd say he's outplayed Gauthier and Engvall, and is making a good case to take one of their spots for game 1 against the Jackets.

Obviously he's not gonna be an instant star, but I think he can contribute. If Johnsson was healthy, I wouldn't play Robertson - Johnsson/Hyman/Mikheyev/Clifford would be locking down the LW spots, only possibility would be 4th line RW, and I prefer a bigger, defensive forward there (Engvall or Gauthier). However, with Johnsson out the 3rd line LW spot is open, and I'm leaning towards Robertson over Engvall for it, I think his superior offence and hustle works better with Kerfoot and Kappy for a fast, high energy, 2-way line. Then Engvall competing with Gauthier for the final 4th line spot in a shutdown role.

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Robertson has an assist on Kerfoot's 2nd goal tonight because he set up Morgan Rielly for the shot which was tipped in.
I like this clip, shows a bit more of his work to gain the zone and keep possession before the goal (for those out of the loop, Nick is 89):

He's looked like that a lot tonight. Obviously he is smaller/weaker than grown men, but he's not letting it hold him back, he's competing hard for pucks and winning his share of battles with speed and heart.

Last edited:

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
This kid can play. I don’t give a shit that he’s a Leaf, this kid is a legitimate talent.
I didn't know him but man he has a wicked wrister. That 3rd line could be very underrated in these playoffs. I don't know how they will do defensively but boy offensively they're dangerous.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I know it's just one exhibition game but I would keep him on that third line for round one and make a decision between Gauthier/Engvall for 4C.

Reactions: ponder

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Both MacKinnon and Crosby flirted with the NCAA. MacKinnon even went to USHL practices to show his bluff about not reporting to anyone but Halifax.

Either development path works. I don't think Toews has any regrets about fast-tracking, turning down the WHL and playing for NoDak, just like Patrick Kane has no regrets about reporting to London. Both have their positives and negatives from a player development standpoint. No system is perfect.

I know in Mack's case it was just a tactic to force a trade to Halifax or another team outside of Quebec.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I know in Mack's case it was just a tactic to force a trade to Halifax or another team outside of Quebec.
He still considered it a viable option. Neither told recruiters they had absolutely no interest when they dealt with recruiters at Shattuck. Going to a big-name American prep-school they both considered it a viable option. Look, most Canadian kids are going to choose the CHL, and most Midwestern and New England based Americans are going to choose college hockey. I would think most smart people (and the people advising them) would tell kids to look into all options available to them.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He’s going to be good. I always thought he and Beckman were close in their level of draft steals but Robertson is on another level. He should play in the league next year. Great pace, great shot, possessed the puck like a 10 year vet. He doesn’t have superstar skills, but should be a very good top 6 guy with the skill around him. If Nylander ever get’s traded, it will likely be because Robertson made him expendable.

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s going to be good. I always thought he and Beckman were close in their level of draft steals but Robertson is on another level. He should play in the league next year. Great pace, great shot, possessed the puck like a 10 year vet. He doesn’t have superstar skills, but should be a very good top 6 guy with the skill around him. If Nylander ever get’s traded, it will likely be because Robertson made him expendable.
More likely Andreas Johnsson. Robertson is a LW, Nylander a RW, they aren’t really competing for the same spot.

Johnsson/Hyman/Mikheyev/Robertson is one too many top-9 worthy LWs. I think we need the size/toughness of Hyman and Mikheyev, so Johnsson gets dealt. Similarly, we’ve got too many quality LDs - Rielly/Muzzin/Dermott/Sandin, one will be dealt IMO. In the offseason I expect something like Johnsson and Dermott-or-Sandin for a solid top-4 RD who fits beside Rielly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad