Prospect Info: F Kirill Tankov (7th round, #218 overall, 2021)

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Most end up jumping VHL for the drafted ones, no? Is it weird he wasn't even in the VHL last year?

With the pandemic and travel restrictions? Maybe not. I don't know about the KHL per se (I could probably read up on it if I wanted to brush up on my Russian) but a lot of the Euro leagues didn't lose the normal number of players to the NHL, so there was probably less spots for younger players in the VHL, KHL.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Hard to really say, unless you think late picks are 3rd rounders? He's done well with the higher picks like Konecny, Farabee, Provorov, Hart, Sanheim, Aubel, Allison, Frost...

Third round picks are late round picks, especially these days, with the rounds being 32 picks long. By the time you get to the third round, you're talking the 65th-96th overall picks now.

If you look at analysis like this one: Analyzing the value of NHL draft picks - Sportsnet.ca
You can see that the relative value of a third round pick really isn't all that different from the later rounds. There's a huge drop-off just within the first round. Even the second round isn't all that much better than the third (especially when you're getting the to tail ends of the rounds, where the Pens are usually picking).

I swear, the idea of the first three rounds being the "early" rounds either comes from other sports, where the draft is vastly different, or else it comes from the 80s and 90s when there were fewer teams in the NHL, and thus, the rounds were shorter. In 1990, there were 21 teams in the NHL. The first pick of the fourth round in 1990 was the 64th overall. 64th overall was the last pick of the second round in the 2021 draft.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Third round picks are late round picks, especially these days, with the rounds being 32 picks long. By the time you get to the third round, you're talking the 65th-96th overall picks now.

If you look at analysis like this one: Analyzing the value of NHL draft picks - Sportsnet.ca
You can see that the relative value of a third round pick really isn't all that different from the later rounds. There's a huge drop-off just within the first round. Even the second round isn't all that much better than the third (especially when you're getting the to tail ends of the rounds, where the Pens are usually picking).

I swear, the idea of the first three rounds being the "early" rounds either comes from other sports, where the draft is vastly different, or else it comes from the 80s and 90s when there were fewer teams in the NHL, and thus, the rounds were shorter. In 1990, there were 21 teams in the NHL. The first pick of the fourth round in 1990 was the 64th overall. 64th overall was the last pick of the second round in the 2021 draft.

Yeah, I was referencing the fact Hextall seems to hit every time he has a 1st rounder in the 20 range versus what we’ve seen throughout Shero and Rutherford there.

Reactions: Freeptop

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Crazy to think since 2005 we've only had 10 first round picks taken by this team in the last 16-17 years.

4 of them are still in the league. 2 with this team currently and one was recently drafted which could make 3.

Of course the others are Pouliot, Despres, Morrow, Bennett and Angelo.

Then there's Staal and Maatta.

Shero took 8 in 10yrs

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Crazy to think since 2005 we've only had 10 first round picks taken by this team in the last 16-17 years.

4 of them are still in the league. 2 with this team currently and one was recently drafted which could make 3.

Of course the others are Pouliot, Despres, Morrow, Bennett and Angelo.

Then there's Staal and Maatta.

Shero took 8 in 10yrs

I think that also speaks to the general malaise of drafting as a strategy until recently.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Since 2005 we've done well in the 2nd-4th rounds.

Rust
Letang
Jarry
Murray
Gustavsson
Lafferty*
Angello*
Guentzel
Blueger
Sundqvist
Bortuzzo

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

Yeah definitely. I think this was one of Shero's biggest failures while he was here too. He didn't value having a quantity of those. We were never getting a top 15 almost sure thing draftee, but he undervalued 2nd and 3rd rounders compared to late 1sts. We got so lucky (or good?) to hit on a few key 2nd and 3rd rounders. Imagine if we'd have twice as many of those picks? And less Doug Murray's.

Reactions: Freeptop

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah definitely. I think this was one of Shero's biggest failures while he was here too. He didn't value having a quantity of those. We were never getting a top 15 almost sure thing draftee, but he undervalued 2nd and 3rd rounders compared to late 1sts. We got so lucky (or good?) to hit on a few key 2nd and 3rd rounders. Imagine if we'd have twice as many of those picks? And less Doug Murray's.
Funny to think GM's are still paying that price for those types with that Dillon deal.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
It now makes sense to me why I didn't see him playing for his MHL team.

FYI: OnHockey has KHL, VHL, and MHL games for streaming. Looks like games start between 8AM ET and 12noon ET.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Tankov won his first faceoff (and first shift) in the o zone about 3 minutes in. Line then cycled. Tank got the puck and circled high and then back in with a nifty backhand pass to his winger near the net who missed.

#88 with a nice backcheck and steal, who then took it the other way for a nice chance.

This rink looks a bit small.

Nice one timer play from Rostov (opposing team) from some board play. 1-0, bad guys.

Tank takes the center ice faceoff after the goal and loses it. It was a draw between centerman, but Rostov’s winger stepped in to win it for his team. Puck goes into Rostov’s zone and the goalie covers it. Tank with another faceoff in the o zone. False start, but Tank won that. Take it again. Won it to his d-man. His line then sustained pressure for about 30 seconds.

ROS takes a penalty. Tankov out there with, what looks like, a hybrid between their two units the other day. Didn’t take that faceoff. ROS steals it and goes the other way for a near 2 on 1, but Tank was backchecking hard to negate any advantage. And now he’s off.

There’s Tank again flying down the RW side. Created a nice chance, got the rebound, fed the puck cross ice for a one timer that missed/the goal was kicked off. PP to Neva.

Tank out there to start this one too, but not take the faceoff. Neva won the faceoff back to a d-man, Tank faded away from the faceoff, and got a one timer off that unfortunately was right into the middle of the net/goalie who was sliding across. At least he took a slapper.

I’m still liking this #6 Smirnov fella.

Neva back to the PP. Tankov starting this one again but also not taking the faceoff. They tried the same play as before, but ROS covered Tank this time around. That was about it.

I missed what caused this, but I’m assuming it was a bad line change. Tankov was back playing like a defenseman and didn’t look terrible doing it. Now he’s taking a d zone faceoff. Won it and his team exits the zone. #71 of Neva then boards someone. To the PK they go. No PK time for Tank, but they’re heading to 4 on 4 now.

Tankov taking the o zone faceoff to start this 4 on 4. Won it to the d-man right behind him for a nice wrister. Saved. Tank again on the draw. Went forward with it and won it. Then took a quick shot. All that surprised everyone. Nice. No goal, but nice.

And that’s the end of the 1st.

---------------

start 2

Tank on about 2 minutes in with a n zone faceoff that was lost. This shift is a bit of a mess for them. At the end of it Tank tried to curl and drag by a defender but they weren’t having any of it and stood him up.

About 5 mins in, Tank with an o zone faceoff. Lost it, but mostly because the puck that he knocked back hit the ref’s skate. ROS iced it so he gets another chance. Looks like he lost it, not sure who the score keeper will give that win to. Despite that, Neva was able to keep it in. Tank was skating and stickhandling around, showcasing his talent. Didn’t amount in anything other than more zone time but whatever.

8 minutes in, Tank out there again for another faceoff. This time in the n zone and he won that one. Other than that, nothing of note.

12 and a half minutes in, and Neva’s goalie was way off their angle. 2-0 ROS.

Tank again taking the FO post-goal. Lost that one clean. Oh dear. Defensive break down their by the entire team. 3-0 ROS. Not sure who to fault there. Looks like the d-man pinched and Tank had no chance in getting back in time. Just rewound the stream. Tank just straight up lost his man.

Tank back out there with 4 minutes left. Thankfully he wasn’t benched. His line didn’t do much of anything, but ROS took a dumb tripping penalty in their o zone.

Tank not starting this PP. Got back out there with just over a minute left on the PP. Made a nice cross ice pass for a one timer that was stopped. Made another pass from the right half boards to the player in the Ovechkin spot who should’ve scored. PP over.

Neva takes a penalty with 30 seconds left in the 2nd period. That’s it. End of 2.

---------------------

start 3

Tank out there after the penalty was killed. D zone faceoff lost. That loss was more on his winger though. ROS with sustained pressure. Neva ices it. Tank with another faceoff. Won it this time and Neva has a nice breakout. That ends his shift.

O zone faceoff for him that he lost. Neva got it back in the o zone where Tank then just stickhandled around and did nothing. Should’ve used his teammates. Got an icing out of it.

Tank with another o zone faceoff. He lost against the center but Neva recovered it. Gained some steam coming through the neutral zone but his teammates weren’t able to get the puck to him.

Taking another o zone faceoff with 9 minutes left and won it to the dman right behind him for a one timer. Stopped. D zone draw now. Won and they exit the zone. Puck does back to their d zone and Tank circles back to skate it out and into the o zone. Looked Geno-esque there.

Neva takes a high stick while on the forecheck so they’re off to the PP. Tank there to start this. Will likely be at the right half boards like he has been. Covering the point here and there. Now at the left point. And now he’s off the PP with a line change. Neva scores with 15 seconds left on the PP to make it 3-1. 5 minutes left.

3 and a half minutes left and Neva scores again. This is either their 1st or 2nd line. 3-2.

Some team took a timeout. Tank on the post goal faceoff and loses it. A stretch pass to Tank failed and I’ve got no clue how that wasn’t icing. Tank goes for a line change. Nothing happened the rest of the game other than Neva pulled their goalie. Neva lost.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad