F Jagger Firkus - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2022, 35th, SEA)

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
See the @JMac13 post above.
I'll admit after watching the Top Prospects game he found another gear in that one and his skating was much better than I remembered from earlier in the year. Super dangerous every time he had the puck and really creating chances. I'll have to catch a few more Moose Jaw games here and see if his game really has grown a ton from earlier this season or he was trying extra hard given the stage. If this is his new level you two might be right and a team takes a swing in the back half of the 1st round.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I'll admit after watching the Top Prospects game he found another gear in that one and his skating was much better than I remembered from earlier in the year. Super dangerous every time he had the puck and really creating chances. I'll have to catch a few more Moose Jaw games here and see if his game really has grown a ton from earlier this season or he was trying extra hard given the stage. If this is his new level you two might be right and a team takes a swing in the back half of the 1st round.
I saw a bunch of their games from mid Jan to mid Feb, and now in late March started watching them again. No idea where the skating was earlier in the season. During last night's broadcast, Warriors PBP and colour guys seemed to imply that he's taken noticeable steps forward in his overall development lately, possibly in skating as well. They sounded to be most impressed by his increased confidence to make plays and carry the Warriors team offensively. They praised him almost every single time he touched the puck.

I'm definitely not the best person to evaluate players' skating and all the nuances related to it or to say how much he's developed in the last few months, but I will still say this: I think he looks like he's got high level skating abilities except for top straight speed and acceleration. Not the best player to carry the puck from DZ to OZ if he has to start from a full stop or if he just doesn't have a lot of momentum on the puck retrieval. To me it still looks like he always has to be in motion when without the puck in order to be a very good transition player. But aside from those "issues", very slick skater on the zone entries, around the boards in small area plays, and in the OZ in general. But would be cool to see more takes on his skating and other skills since I don't consider myself an expert in skating discussions. (not saying I'm truly an expert on any given hockey skill topic lol)

And while we're on his skillset, I'd just want to add my thoughts to previous conversations and say that he seems to be even more underrated (supposing he's still underrated) as a passer and playmaker than he is as a shooter. He is absolutely one of top tight-space players I've seen of this draft class, the ability to corral pucks off the boards or from difficult passes and then make a quick turn or a pass right away, whether it's a backhand or forehand, along the ice or a saucer, hard cross ice feed or subtle areal pass, is just really impressive.

Last edited:

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
MJ will face the Ice or Oil Kings in the next round, now that will be a proper test for potential 1st rounders Firkus and Mateychuk.

I liked seeing Calvert with Yager and Firkus, from a very limited viewing (game 5) I thought he complemented their 5vs5 game better than Anderson.

JMac13

Jan 10, 2011
After watching the game last night my updated take on Firkus is this. He is an absolute assassin when it comes to finding space and creating chances. Every second of his shifts seem to be spent anticipating where the puck is going to be and how he can position himself for a scoring chance. He's constantly trying to lose coverage and avoid attention until exploding for a goal. His lethal shot, puck skills and deceptively quick skating allows him to get into these spots quite consistently at the WHL level. I think scoring 50+ next year is basically guaranteed.

The downside to his style in my opinion, is if you didn't know any better on a lot of shifts you'd think he was a complete floater. His play is just so cerebral. He's rarely hounding defenders trying to strip pucks or backchecking hard breaking up plays. Instead, he's anticipating where he should be once his line mates to do the dirty work for a prime scoring opportunity. I think that's why he's thrived alongside a guy like Yager in Moose Jaw and Beck/Karabela in the Top Prospects game. All guys who can do the heavy lifting and get him the puck in good places.

To me he's a complete boom or bust prospect. If he's paired with guys who complement his style and his ability to find space translates to the NHL he'll be a top 6 scorer. If not I think he'll have a long way to go to round out his game and be impactful in other areas. I have a hard time putting him in my top 20-25 but start thinking really hard about him any time after that. His lethal shot, offensive toolset and ability to find space is just so enticing.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The MVP of the CHL Top Prospects Game, Jagger Firkus had one goal and one assist in the 3-1 victory for Team White. Firkus also had a big season for the Moose Jaw Warriors. He put up 36 goals and 44 assists for 80 points in 66 regular-season games. Firkus also added six goals and six assists for 12 points in 10 playoff games. The Warriors defeated the Saskatoon Blades in five games in the first round of the WHL Playoffs. However, they would fall in the second round to the Winnipeg Ice, also in five games.

scoutclout

Sep 12, 2022
Showed some really nifty skills and high level IQ last night, thought he was Seattle's most impressive 2022 prospect in the game. Wasn't afraid to try to beat defenders 1-1 (and got stood up pretty good by Mackey once), and was quick on pucks. I really liked the way he battled.

I agree. I think he did show some holes in his game which warranted him being cut this early, he's still rather slender, and needs to bulk up. The potential is there especially in his hands and head, his body just needs to catch up. If he gets a good regimen going I could see him being a decent factor in 2-3 years.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Could be a steal when you realize his long term center could be a two way beast like Beniers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad