F Cayden Lindstrom - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2024 Draft)

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
how long until he is consensus top 10 pick? he and helenius to me are shooting up list and threatening for top 5 (2?).
Lindstrom wasn’t even a top 15 pick in Bob Mckenzie’s first ranking, i have absolutely no doubt he will be in his top 10 on his next list and climb up even more during the year with a chance of going top 3 at the draft. Helenius was 7 right after Catton, after the WJC i bet you’re right and he puts him top 5.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I don’t really think it’s a ”weak draft” as much as it’s just not top heavy, wouldn’t be shocked at all if it produces more NHL regulars than the average draft does.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I don’t really think it’s a ”weak draft” as much as it’s just not top heavy, wouldn’t be shocked at all if it produces more NHL regulars than the average draft does.
I mean, weak generally refers to a lack of potential superstars and not depth.

For me the biggest narrative of this draft is a lack of players seizing the moment. Only 1 top pick has really secured their spot, there's a lot of disappointing seasons right now.

Everything after 1oa is up for grabs.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I mean, weak generally refers to a lack of potential superstars and not depth.

For me the biggest narrative of this draft is a lack of players seizing the moment. Only 1 top pick has really secured their spot, there's a lot of disappointing seasons right now.

Everything after 1oa is up for grabs.
Lindstrom is a potential future 1c, handful of d-men have top pairing potential eiserman could be a future 40 goal guy, demimedov potential top line player catton and helenius too reminds me of the 2016 draft if you look at the first round the notables today are matthews, Keller, serg, chych, Laine, Tkachuk, pld, mcavoy and thompson I'd say of that list there is only 2 superstars if you add fox that's 4 and debrincant was another notable after the first matthews, chucky, mcavoy and fox are superstars Keller and Thompson are stars and chych and serg are top quality pairing then pld and Laine are dissapointments but still top six players

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This draft must be weaker than I thought if this player is a consensus top-5 pick…

I don't think it's necessarily weak.

The top end of this draft is way better than 2022.

Comparing to 2023, it obviously doesn't have the strength of Carlsson and Fantilli who went 2-3 and would be a 1OA in most other drafts.

Celebrini is a strong 1st overall pick.

Where 2023 lacked is after you got passed Reinbacher-Michkov, you weren't looking at anything spectacular.

Whereas in 2024, the top 12 is pretty intriguing.. where I have it closing out on Michael Brandsegg-Nygard who I personally think compares to Ryan Leonard who went at 8 in 2023.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Lindstrom is a potential future 1c, handful of d-men have top pairing potential eiserman could be a future 40 goal guy, demimedov potential top line player catton and helenius too reminds me of the 2016 draft if you look at the first round the notables today are matthews, Keller, serg, chych, Laine, Tkachuk, pld, mcavoy and thompson I'd say of that list there is only 2 superstars if you add fox that's 4 and debrincant was another notable after the first matthews, chucky, mcavoy and fox are superstars Keller and Thompson are stars and chych and serg are top quality pairing then pld and Laine are dissapointments but still top six players
There's a lot of comparisons here I just can't agree with. I don't see the upside you see in most of those players. I see pretty much everyone from this draft a good step lower than you.

Reactions: Blueston

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
There's a lot of comparisons here I just can't agree with. I don't see the upside you see in most of those players. I see pretty much everyone from this draft a good step lower than you.
To me those are there absolute ceilings which is why I compared it to 2026 draft if you look at the picks in the first round poolparty picked 4th most thought he slid and the oil got lucky as many expected a top line player, juolevi at 5 alot of people thought he would be a solid all around top 4 with a chance at top pairing on the ducks Nylander at 8 alot of people thought he would be a skilled top six player those three players busted hard and there were alot of prospects who disappointed in that first round now if alot of those players met those projections 2016 would be considered a great draft but ended up being average due to later round picks developing better than expected that's where I put 2024 sn average draft with celebrini being the only player close to being a guaranteed superstar with a lot of promising prospects that may either disappoint or flat out bust I am not to enthralled with this draft class either but don't think it's weak or strong just average and the perception of this class might be influenced by the 2023 draft which was practically s tiered with 4 deserving candidates of 1st oa rating while celbrini is a 1st oa caliber player while it doesn't look like there is a clear 2 but rather a handful of guys who would be good at 5 and beyond but nothing spectacular for 2-4

Reactions: Blueston

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
To me those are there absolute ceilings which is why I compared it to 2026 draft if you look at the picks in the first round poolparty picked 4th most thought he slid and the oil got lucky as many expected a top line player, juolevi at 5 alot of people thought he would be a solid all around top 4 with a chance at top pairing on the ducks Nylander at 8 alot of people thought he would be a skilled top six player those three players busted hard and there were alot of prospects who disappointed in that first round now if alot of those players met those projections 2016 would be considered a great draft but ended up being average due to later round picks developing better than expected that's where I put 2024 sn average draft with celebrini being the only player close to being a guaranteed superstar with a lot of promising prospects that may either disappoint or flat out bust I am not to enthralled with this draft class either but don't think it's weak or strong just average and the perception of this class might be influenced by the 2023 draft which was practically s tiered with 4 deserving candidates of 1st oa rating while celbrini is a 1st oa caliber player while it doesn't look like there is a clear 2 but rather a handful of guys who would be good at 5 and beyond but nothing spectacular for 2-4
I think 2016 vs 2024 is a great comp.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I think 2016 vs 2024 is a great comp.
2024 is the draft year of "The Big Boys". There are only 2 projected first rounders 5'10" or shorter and they are both 5'10". Las year's class had a lot of short players in it

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I don't think it's necessarily weak.

The top end of this draft is way better than 2022.

Comparing to 2023, it obviously doesn't have the strength of Carlsson and Fantilli who went 2-3 and would be a 1OA in most other drafts.

Celebrini is a strong 1st overall pick.

Where 2023 lacked is after you got passed Reinbacher-Michkov, you weren't looking at anything spectacular.

Whereas in 2024, the top 12 is pretty intriguing.. where I have it closing out on Michael Brandsegg-Nygard who I personally think compares to Ryan Leonard who went at 8 in 2023.
Ryan Leonard is a much better prospect than Michael Brandsegg-Nygard in my eyes. You see the leading single season scorer in the history of the USNTDP program go 23rd.. Benson is playing NHL in D+1 (and playing really good hockey) and he went 13th.. Not seeing the same things as you.

I think Celebrini is a Tier 3 1.01. Tier 1 Being McDavid and Bedard and Tier 2 being Dahlin and Matthews

3 being Hughes..Laf..Celebrini.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Ryan Leonard is a much better prospect than Michael Brandsegg-Nygard in my eyes. You see the leading single season scorer in the history of the USNTDP program go 23rd.. Benson is playing NHL in D+1 (and playing really good hockey) and he went 13th.. Not seeing the same things as you.

I think Celebrini is a Tier 3 1.01. Tier 1 Being McDavid and Bedard and Tier 2 being Dahlin and Matthews

3 being Hughes..Laf..Celebrini.
If keeps up this pace and is good at wjc he might move to tier 2

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This draft must be weaker than I thought if this player is a consensus top-5 pick…
So? As was Arthur Kaliyev at one point In his draft season.

All that means nothing. this draft is one of the weakest of all time if this Lindstrom kid is consensus top-5.

Seriously?

The guy is a 6'4 C with wheels on pace for 60 goals this year and he has the biggest mean streak in an elite prospect since Brady Tkachuk. He'd be top-5 in literally any draft in the last 20 years aside from maybe last year.

Reactions: Doublechin

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Seriously?

The guy is a 6'4 C with wheels on pace for 60 goals this year and he has the biggest mean streak in an elite prospect since Brady Tkachuk. He'd be top-5 in literally any draft in the last 20 years aside from maybe last year.
You’re funny lmaoooo

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You’re funny lmaoooo

This must be your first draft.

Again, a 6'4 C with plus skating and a mean streak putting up massive numbers is a top-5 pick in any draft.

Size and skill at C is maybe the most premium trait in the NHL. A guy like Barrett Hayton went top-5 in a decent draft after a 21-goal draft year because he had a decent size/skill combination at C.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
This must be your first draft.

Again, a 6'4 C with plus skating and a mean streak putting up massive numbers is a top-5 pick in any draft.

Size and skill at C is maybe the most premium trait in the NHL. A guy like Barrett Hayton went top-5 in a decent draft after a 21-goal draft year because he had a decent size/skill combination at C.
If he would have been a top 5 pick in any draft in the past 20 years, why wasn’t he given an invite to the WJC camp? Surely a prospect THAT good would get an invite.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If he would have been a top 5 pick in any draft in the past 20 years, why wasn’t he given an invite to the WJC camp? Surely a prospect THAT good would get an invite.

What does that have to do with anything?

Canada virtually never takes draft-eligible players to the WJC. There have been 14 top-10 picks from the WHL in the last decade and the only two to make that roster are Bedard and Sam Reinhart, and Reinhart was a late birthdate.

Did Barrett Hayton or Kirby Dach get an invite?

All I can say is wait and see. This is going to be a very, very high pick of a guy with a unique skillset who would be a high pick in any draft. He has the sort of Keith Primeau skillset that NHL GMs will be absolutely drooling over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad