F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Yeah thanks, but I already read that.

Was wondering if they was a video. Sounded like a really cocky comment, wanted to see it recorded.
I’m not sure if it’s available on YouTube or wherever, but I’ve seen it played on TSN in the past, so there’s footage of it somewhere. I bet if you watched a short YouTube documentary on him or Pronger, it’d be in there.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
McDavid had 9 less points in 21 less games than Strome, he'd have gotten 174 points if he played the same amount of games as Strome and kept his scoring pace.

He had 49 points in 20 playoff games, 25 more than his closest teammate...

McDavid got those results at 18 years and 4 months.
Lafreniere will be 17 years old and 7 months at the end of the year, leading his team by 14 pts in 5 games less played.
McDavid's season at 17 years and 4 months, he finished at 99 points in 56 games, 30 pts behind the team leader in 12 less games played for McDavid.

Not sure why comparing these guys by the date they were born when the younger one is born in October and the older one, in January: 3 months difference.. I'm not saying Lafreniere is the better prospect, but the guy was right saying McDavid played in a way better team. I don't expect Lafreniere to get to 2.5 ppg like McDavid did in his last year, maybe a 2.25.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
McDavid got those results at 18 years and 4 months.
Lafreniere will be 17 years old and 7 months at the end of the year, leading his team by 14 pts in 5 games less played.
McDavid's season at 1ed at 97 years and 4 months, he finish9 points in 56 games, 30 pts behind the team leader in 12 less games played for McDavid.

Not sure why comparing these guys by the date they were born when the younger one is born in October and the older one, in January: 3 months difference.. I'm not saying Lafreniere is the better prospect, but the guy was right saying McDavid played in a way better team. I don't expect Lafreniere to get to 2.5 ppg like McDavid did in his last year, maybe a 2.25.
They were both in their 17 year old season. Lafreniere is a late birthday pushing his draft back a year so he will be drafted in his 18 year old season (3rd CHL season by his birthyear compared to the 2nd CHL season by McDavids birthyear).

Both are from Canada, both play in the exact same hockey system which is based on birthyear, in which they will have the exact same amount of developmental years. The NHL draft doesn't go by birthyear. Lafreniere gets a full extra year of hockey prior to being drafted than McDavid did.

McDavid was given exceptional status, letting him play in the CHL at a time when Lafreniere was still in midget in his developmental stage.

You don't go by age like that for a reason.

Yes, he did play on a better team. Their top line are all 1st line players in the NHL, and McDavid out produced them by a very, very significant amount, 2.55ppg vs 1.8 for Strome.

If McDavid played in his 18 year old season like Lafreniere is about to, he would have put up 3+ ppg, McDavid scored over a ppg in the NHL as an 18 year old.

Did you play growing up? If so, you know what it means by developmental years by playing in your birthyear in Canada.

McDavid
15 year old season - 66p in 63gp in CHL (Exceptional Status)
16 year old season- 99p in 56gp in CHL (1st year 97's eligible in CHL)
17 year old season - 120p in 47gp in CHL (2nd year 97's eligible in CHL)
18 year old season - 48p in 45 gp in NHL

Lafreniere
15 year old season - 83p in Midget
16 year old season- 80p in 60gp in CHL (1st year 01's eligible in CHL)
17 year old season - 103p in 57gp in CHL (2nd year 01's eligible in CHL)
18 year old season - ? in ? in CHL (3rd year 01's eligible in CHL)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hale The Villain

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Based on the eye test - McDavid was a special, special player back then. A generational talent.

Lafreniere is a great player - but I dont see the knock your socks off skill set that McDavid had.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
They were both in their 17 year old season. Lafreniere is a late birthday pushing his draft back a year so he will be drafted in his 18 year old season (3rd CHL season by his birthyear compared to the 2nd CHL season by McDavids birthyear).

Both are from Canada, both play in the exact same hockey system which is based on birthyear, in which they will have the exact same amount of developmental years.

McDavid was given exceptional status, letting him play in the CHL at a time when Lafreniere was still in midget in his developmental stage.

You don't go by age like that for a reason.

Yes, he did play on a better team. Their top line are all 1st line players in the NHL, and McDavid out produced them by a very, very significant amount, 2.55ppg vs 1.8 for Strome.

If McDavid played in his 18 year old season like Lafreniere is about to, he would have put up 3+ ppg, McDavid scored over a ppg in the NHL as an 18 year old.

Did you play growing up? If so, you know what it means by developmental years by playing in your birthyear in Canada.

I played growing up (against Bourdon btw) and it happens that he was always playing with older players and was still dominant. Question for you, if Lafreniere was born 3 months later (january) and got exceptionnal status 2 years ago, would it affect his stats this season?

McDavid
D-2 - 66p in 63gp in CHL (Exceptional Status)
D-1 year old season- 99p in 56gp in CHL (1st year 97's eligible in CHL)
D- year old season - 120p in 47gp in CHL (2nd year 97's eligible in CHL)

Lafreniere
D-2- 80p in 60gp in CHL (1st year 01's eligible in CHL)
D-1 - 103p in 57gp in CHL (2nd year 01's eligible in CHL)
D- ? in ? in CHL (3rd year 01's eligible in CHL)[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: WildWillie

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I played growing up (against Bourdon btw) and it happens that he was always playing with older players and was still dominant. Question for you, if Lafreniere was born 3 months later (january) and got exceptionnal status 2 years ago, would it affect his stats this season?
3 months later? If he was born 1 month earlier he would be in this years draft...He could have gotten exceptional status as is, and he'd still be in this years draft had he been born a month earlier. He could have gotten exceptional status 2 years ago as is.

If he was born 3 months later he would have gotten exceptional status last year and currently would be in his 16 year old season, still on track to be drafted next year, in his 17 year old season...

Velano got exceptional status in the Q, and he didn't do to much with it until he was 18 years old, in his 4th season in the Q. Do I think that his 15 year old season helped him much? No, not really, and most people involved in the Q will tell you that.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
3 months later? If he was born 1 month earlier he would be in this years draft...He could have gotten exceptional status as is, and he'd still be in this years draft had he been born a month earlier. He could have gotten exceptional status 2 years ago as is.

If he was born 3 months later he would have gotten exceptional status last year and currently would be in his 16 year old season, still on track to be drafted next year, in his 17 year old season...

Velano got exceptional status in the Q, and he didn't do to much with it until he was 18 years old, in his 4th season in the Q. Do I think that his 15 year old season helped him much? No, not really, and most people involved in the Q will tell you that.

Veleno is not the same player as Lafreniere. Why even bring him in the conversation??

I'm not talking about his draft eligibility, it has actually nothing to do with my question. I'm talking about the odds of him producing this year if he was put in the same situation as McDavid (january birth, exceptionnal status).

Reactions: WildWillie

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Veleno is not the same player as Lafreniere. Why even bring him in the conversation??

I'm not talking about his draft eligibility, it has actually nothing to do with my question. I'm talking about the odds of him producing this year if he was put in the same situation as McDavid (january birth, exceptionnal status).
Because those who know Velano and the situation he was put in (Exceptional status) feel he did not benefit from the extra year in the CHL rather than the year in Midget as much as you'd want someone too.

If he was born 3 month later and lost a full year of hockey, yes, I think he would be doing similar to what he is now in his 17 year old season, even if he was given a year of CHL instead of his only year of Midget. (Velano played Midget as a 14 year old, McDavid played Midget as a 14 year old, Lafreniere played Bantam as a 14 year old...). If McDavid was born 9 months later, He still has the same CHL seasons at 15/16/17, and then runs through the league and goes #1 in 2016.

Make it easier. If Lafreniere was in the CHL at 15 rather than Midget, I think he is doing very similarly to what he is today, even with his October birthday...

Not to mention their differences in World Junior production at the same age. I think McDavid produces the same in both the CHL and WJ's had he played midget instead of CHL at 15, or are you under the impression that Strom produces at a much higher clip at 17 had he been given exceptional status?

McDavid
16 year old season - 4p 7gp (1st year eligible)
17 year old season - 11p 7gp (2nd year eligible)

Lafreniere
16 year old season - Not invited (1st year eligble
17 year old season - 1p 5gp (2nd year elgible)

Last edited:

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Because those who know Velano and the situation he was put in (Exceptional status) feel he did not benefit from the extre year in the CHL rather than the year in Midget as much as you'd want someone too.

If he was born 3 month later and lost a full year of hockey, yes, I think he would be doing similar to what he is now in his 17 year old season, even if he was given a year of CHL instead of his only year of Midget. (Velano played Midget as a 14 year old, McDavid played Midget as a 14 year old, Lafreniere played Bantam as a 14 year old...)

Not to mention their differences in World Junior production at the same age.

McDavid
16 year old season - 4p 7gp (1st year eligible)
17 year old season - 11p 7gp (2nd year eligible)

Lafreniere
16 year old season - Not invited (1st year eligble
17 year old season - 1p 5gp (2nd year elgible)

Well Lafreniere was a late bloomer, he was in Parent and Poulin's shadow and exploded in his midget year. If he was born in january he would have played in midget instead of bantam at 14yo, we have to take that in account too while being one of the older player his age. I don't think Veleno deserved the exceptionnal player. I think it was granted to him by fear that he would take the NCAA route.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Comparing someone’s 15yo season (there’s a reason there’s only ever been like 6 players ever play at 15) to a players 16yo season is really, really dumb...

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
The Birth year Vs. Actual age at a point in time debate. This is a classic that seems to resurface over and over again.

Here's what we know for sure:

Birth year argument - Based on "development years" point McDavid's numbers as a birth year based seasons as a 16 year old and a 17 year old are far and away superior to Lafreniere's. In this argument McDavid is far and away the best statistically. Keep in mind he is 9 months older under this scenario. "Develpoment years" are equal.

Actual Age argument - Based on Lafreniere being 3 months older as the best comparison, rather then the Birth year argument where there is a 9 month gap. Based on this comparison Lafreniere has the statistical advantage. Lafreniere is said to have had an extra "development year" at this point but is only 3 months older in actual age.

There is merit for both arguments and I tend to lean more towards the Actual age, as I don't value the extra "development year" point as much. In saying that, I think at three months age difference, On a less offensively gifted team, Lafreniere is the better player statistically.

However, using the eye test, it is easy to know McDavid far and away is the better prospect/player. He is the best skater in the world, while Lafreniere is not an elite skater. Lafreniere has several attributes that are better than McDavid, but the speed McDavid possessed, being able to operate tight windows, handle the puck at that speed, is what separates him from everybody. They are comparable statistically though.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Comparing someone’s 15yo season (there’s a reason there’s only ever been like 6 players ever play at 15) to a players 16yo season is really, really dumb...

McDavid started his D-2 season at 15 years old and 8 months.
Lafreniere started his D-2 season at 15 years old and 11 months.

I guess I'm really really dumb to compare both season. How dare I? You've got to be f***in kidding me.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
McDavid started his D-2 season at 15 years old and 8 months.
Lafreniere started his D-2 season at 15 years old and 11 months.

I guess I'm really really dumb to compare both season. How dare I? You've got to be ****in kidding me.

Because one was playing Midget and the other was the 2nd leading scorer on his team in the OHL. There’s a reason almost no one plays in the league at 15.

In the same development year, McDavid was playing in a VASTLY better league, there’s literally no comparison. If Lafreniere was born one month earlier then it’s even arguable if he would go 1st overall this year. He’s had amazing but not extraordinary 17yo season.

His pace is no different than players like Seguin/Hall/Stamkos/Mackinnon. If you think he’s close to McDavid level you’re going to be very disappointed.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Because one was playing Midget and the other was the 2nd leading scorer on his team in the OHL. There’s a reason almost no one plays in the league at 15.

In the same development year, McDavid was playing in a VASTLY better league, there’s literally no comparison. If Lafreniere was born one month earlier then it’s even arguable if he would go 1st overall this year. He’s had amazing but not extraordinary 17yo season.

His pace is no different than players like Seguin/Hall/Stamkos/Mackinnon. If you think he’s close to McDavid level you’re going to be very disappointed.
He's comparing McDavid's 16 year old season with Lafreniere's 17 year old, because of the late/early birthday.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

• Late birthdays draftees who are good enough will start the season at 15, like Lafreniere did.
  • The Q has been the lowest scoring league of the two.
  • Lafreniere would go 1st overall this year. Things have change since the last poll on here.
  • Where the f*** did I say he was better or close to McDavid? I even said McDavid was the better prospect, we're talking production only. Are you even reading my posts?

He's comparing McDavid's 16 year old season with Lafreniere's 17 year old, because of the late/early birthday.

We will have to agree to disagree. I'm far from being the only one who thinks that. No worries, the debate will be back in a few months again.

Last edited:

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

I don't think it's arguable that Lafreniere would go first this year. I take him over Hughes/Kakko without a second thought.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
The issue with comparing Lafrenière's season, whether it is up against his own age group or the age group prior, is that he'll either be very young by one's standard or he'll have an extra season of experience over the other.

There's no perfect comparison to be made except against players that were subject to the same treatment as Lafrenière himself. Taylor Hall is probably the best measuring stick, and Lafrenière is producing at a substantially better rate in his D-1 season. His D-1 season is actually closer to Hall's draft season.

It bodes pretty well for next year. I'm expecting 120+ points.

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
I know what he’s doing, and it makes literally no sense to do so :laugh:

Why is it so funny to compare them closer in age? Because of the extra year of hockey Lafreniere is perceived to have gotten by being a late birthday? Am I understanding this correctly? Lafreniere started playing at 4 years 11 months and McDavid started playing at 5 years 8 months? is this what I am hearing?? ....Makes you wonder how McDavid ever turned out with all that lost development :sarcasm:. He must have been in learn to skate lol. Wait, does that count towards development? Now I'm confused when the development years start counting....

Reactions: Acadien86

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, it's a bit of a thing because the first hockey groups are by birth year, so if it's the u5 group for example, an early birthday can't join it until almost a year older.

For example if in Finland the first age group that gets proper lessons are the ones born in 2013, it makes quite a bit of difference whether you were born in 2013 December or 2014 January when applying for that group at the start of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad