F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
This would be crazy. When was the last time a top Canadian talent hyped up for years left the CHL to play in Europe?

It would be interesting. I don’t think the Q has nothing left to offer him. He’s having an incredible year but there is definitely room remaining for increased dominance. That being said, he’s physically ready for a bigger challenge and playing in Switzerland could provide him a better launchpad for jumping to the NHL. I’d only be concerned that there may be unrealistic expectations; Matthews slotted into a pretty ideal situation.

Reactions: koyvoo

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
This would be crazy. When was the last time a top Canadian talent hyped up for years left the CHL to play in Europe?

It would be interesting. I don’t think the Q has nothing left to offer him. He’s having an incredible year but there is definitely room remaining for increased dominance. That being said, he’s physically ready for a bigger challenge and playing in Switzerland could provide him a better launchpad for jumping to the NHL. I’d only be concerned that there may be unrealistic expectations; Matthews slotted into a pretty ideal situation.

I mean I'd like a year abroad, making money before the NHLPA comes calling

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Playing against men in Europe is probably the best development path for kid this skilled. I'm sure kids at that point have learned everything they can from the junior level.

Reactions: koyvoo

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I visited Switzerland for a week and it was incredible. To live in a country like that for a year while being paid, you can see why it's appealing. Also probably better for his development since he already has a lot of CHL experience.

member 157595

Can he even do this? Wouldn't Rimouski have to agree to let him out of his contract or something?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Heck why not... Worked great for Matthews so why not do it too

Obviously id prefer he stays in Canada but you gotta do whats best for yourself and career

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Does anyone know how much Matthews made in Zurich?

If I was an elite player like Matthews of Lafreniere I'd probably do it. It'd be fun as hell to travel around Switzerland and with a somewhat lighter schedule you could continue to build strength in the gym. All while making a nice chunk of change.

member 157595

Rimouski would have to agree with it and Hockey Canada would would need to sign off on the transfer.

99% this doesn't happen.

Yeah that's what I figured.

If I was an elite player like Matthews of Lafreniere I'd probably do it. It'd be fun as hell to travel around Switzerland and with a somewhat lighter schedule you could continue to build strength in the gym. All while making a nice chunk of change.

"Not enough"
- Kyle Dubas

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018

Sweden would be more competitive

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Can he even do this? Wouldn't Rimouski have to agree to let him out of his contract or something?

Well, no CHL player gets paid...just a small living stipend.

Too bad Lafreniere decided to stay. If a Canadian left to play in Europe, it would put a focus on young players not getting paid in Canada.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
We all know how the world works. It's possible something was figured out between player, family, agent, league, and HC that makes sense financially for everyone...

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
So is this transfer from the CHL to a European league allowed? Like I mean is there any rules preventing it if Lafreniere did just decide he'd rather be in Europe?

The CHL/NHL agreement is for drafted players which obviously Lafreniere isn't.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
He should, the Q sucks and it would be nice to see how he does against men. However, if he doesn’t play up to expectations, how much would it hurt his #1 ranking? Honestly, I don’t even think a subpar season in the NLA would hurt his spot because we’ll see him go against his own age group at the WJC.

Matthews was bigger and stronger, and it suited him well. Hope he takes the chance as well, don’t CHL players make something ridiculous like $40 a week? $400,000 for Matthews, Lafrienere should get 300+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad