F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Really loved his physicality against the Czechs. Something I haven't seen a lot of in his game. Kid can shoot the puck too. He's going to be a good one for sure.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I've watch many of his games. I've seen him floating a little bit but not that much. Thing is, floating is not always a bad play, if it makes the defenseman backup to his own blueline, it gives more space for the defensive team to get the puck out of the zone. Problem is, his junior coach might be allright with this kind of play, but not Tim Hunter. Doesn't make him any lazy, he is a bulldozer in the corners. I have no doubt he will get more ice time as the tournament goes.

Granted, the sample size I'm referring to is limited, so you very well could be right on this.

Generally speaking, for someone that produces as much as he does and with the pedigree that he has, he's just not a player that you notice every time he's on the ice. Part of that, to me, comes from the fact he isn't getting involved nearly enough on the play when he doesn't have the puck.

I recall someone bringing up Eichel as a stylistic comparable, and they do offer a similar skillset. The thing is, you know when Eichel is on the ice. He controls the flow of the game and generally tilts the ice. That may not be as easy to accomplish from the wing in Lafreniere's case, but I think he'd benefit from playing a more up tempo game. I liked Hunter tough love approach, to me that's the kind of kick in the rear Laf needs, and he probably doesn't get enough of those in Rimouski where he's the center of attention.

Reactions: Acadien86

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Really loved his physicality against the Czechs. Something I haven't seen a lot of in his game. Kid can shoot the puck too. He's going to be a good one for sure.

He had a monster hit that game I think it was in the 3rd along boards just inside the offensive blue line.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Granted, the sample size I'm referring to is limited, so you very well could be right on this.

Generally speaking, for someone that produces as much as he does and with the pedigree that he has, he's just not a player that you notice every time he's on the ice. Part of that, to me, comes from the fact he isn't getting involved nearly enough on the play when he doesn't have the puck.

I recall someone bringing up Eichel as a stylistic comparable, and they do offer a similar skillset. The thing is, you know when Eichel is on the ice. He controls the flow of the game and generally tilts the ice. That may not be as easy to accomplish from the wing in Lafreniere's case, but I think he'd benefit from playing a more up tempo game. I liked Hunter tough love approach, to me that's the kind of kick in the rear Laf needs, and he probably doesn't get enough of those in Rimouski where he's the center of attention.

Completely agree!

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Disappointing showing from him so far. Holtz or raymond might challenge him for 1st overall.

Those guys that didnt even make their u20 team? :huh:

Besides that, neither of them are even locks for top 3, how are they going to challenge the 1st overall favorite?

If somebody is challenging Lafreniere at the moment it's Lundell, who has been good in both WJC and FEL so far.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

Besides that, neither of them are even locks for top 3, how are they going to challenge the 1st overall favorite?

If somebody is challenging Lafreniere at the moment it's Lundell, who has been good in both WJC and FEL so far.

Lafreniere and Lundell are both 2001, Holtz and Raymond are 2002. Lafreniere and Lundell should be ahead at this point, if they are at least equal in talent.

Reactions: JimboA

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018

Meh. Raymond has started to score as a 16 year old in shl.

Sweden is unlike finland conservative with taking underage players in u20.

Raymond >> lundell

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Lafreniere and Lundell are both 2001, Holtz and Raymond are 2002. Lafreniere and Lundell should be ahead at this point, if they are at least equal in talent.

That's 3-5 months difference.

Meh. Raymond has started to score as a 16 year old in shl.

Sweden is unlike finland conservative with taking underage players in u20.

Raymond >> lundell

Raymond has 4 shots in 6 games, I doubt he keeps up that 50 sh%. Not to mention he is undersized winger and Lundell is a center with good size.

Oh and Lundell is on pace to have one of the best draft -1 seasons in FEL.

Saying Raymond >> Lundell is just absurd at the moment, otherwise he would be dominating WJC right now.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
That's 3-5 months difference.

Raymond has 4 shots in 6 games, I doubt he keeps up that 50 sh%. Not to mention he is undersized winger and Lundell is a center with good size.

Oh and Lundell is on pace to have one of the best draft -1 seasons in FEL.

Saying Raymond >> Lundell is just absurd at the moment, otherwise he would be dominating WJC right now.
FEL is of worse quality than SHL. Look at puljijärvi.

Jack hughes 1st oa is also undersized.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Jack Hughes is also way better than Raymond... I dont understand the significance of this.

Comparing a 16 year old to 17 now? Hughes is going to be better but way better is reaching it. There isnt a single 16 year old forward in SHL that has produced. So what raymond is doing is impressive.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Comparing a 16 year old to 17 now? Hughes is going to be better but way better is reaching it.

Im obviously comparing them when they are/were both 16 year olds, and Hughes was way better indeed.

There isnt a single 16 year old forward in SHL that has produced. So what raymond is doing is impressive.

That has more to do with youngsters not getting many opportunities in SHL. That sample size is way too small to make any comparisons.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
There's some time left until 2020, but do you think he projects as a C in the NHL, or is he strictly a winger now?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
When prospects perform at an unprecedented level in tough European leagues, I’ve learned to take notice. See Elias Pettersson and in the NBA, Luka Doncic.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
When prospects perform at an unprecedented level in tough European leagues, I’ve learned to take notice. See Elias Pettersson and in the NBA, Luka Doncic.
Yup, it's way different to play against men. There are players who have absolutely dominated the juniors in NA, but struggled big time in Europe.

Reactions: SpoolCat

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I agree with this to an extent, but it needs to be over a large sample size and not 7 games. I really liked Raymond at the 2018 Hlinka, and it wouldn't shock me if he manages to launch a challenge at Lafreniere. Pettersson basically had two full seasons of unprecedented performances before coming over and Doncic for about the same length.

Also, there is a weird balance of accounting for those things. For example, what Barkov did in Finland was unprecedented for his age, but that didn't make him a better prospect than Nathan MacKinnon who was great in the QMJHL but we had seen similar performances. 5 years later, MacKinnon is still considered the better player although its close. What Granlund did was unprecedented at the time too, but that didn't make him a better prospect than Seguin who had a great OHL season, but we had seen better in recent years prior (Stamkos and Tavares come to mind).

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
He has but it didn't last very long.

No he hasn’t, I don’t know where you’re getting this from. He’s been a winger his whole QMJHL career with the exception of a couple of pre-season games in his 16 year old season. Playing some C in a pre-season game doesn’t count, he’s always been a winger.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No he hasn’t, I don’t know where you’re getting this from. He’s been a winger his whole QMJHL career with the exception of a couple of pre-season games in his 16 year old season. Playing some C in a pre-season game doesn’t count, he’s always been a winger.

He played a few shifts at C last year in season. Can't remember which ones but he definitely did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad