• Yaroooslav Halal

• Jimmy Vesey

• Will Cullen

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Someone is going to have to help me out here because that whole play is blown dead because they're calling Blais for something for his hit on Lucic. They say checking replay to determine a major penalty etc, then to Blais having the penalty completely withdrawn.

Has this happened before?
Yes. They can check double minors for high stick and all major penalties. It's very rare the rescind the entire penalty and usually make it a minor if anything, but i'm happy they got it right.

Reactions: ecemleafs and romba

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Would have been the easiest 3 stars vote ever, except...There were 4. But do you go with Lafreniere, or do you go with Zibanejad? I mean a game winner always put you in contention for a star of the game. An OT game winner though...That's real tough to beat unless someone puts up a 3 point night. Well, yeah. Zibanejad did just that. With that said, vote goes to the kid. He needs momentum!

Positives;

Was arguably the most entertaining game of the year. Everyone is talking about it. Like the physicality or not, its It's good for ratings because Its more for exposure which in turn is good for revenue.

Chytil was amazing! Like, really showing confidence with the puck. Skating has been tremendous. Rangers can't draft well, and develop well crew is really going to have to start digging deeper.

Trouba Um, who are you and what did you do to Jacob Trouba? He was Scott Stevens last night. So impressed with the physicality he displayed.

The Kid line combined for 4 points even though the OT winner wasent from that line. They were a combined plus/minus +5 in a very close game. Lafreniere was credited with 5 hits. Chytil was credited with 3 takeways. Kakko with 1. The line only had 1 giveaway all night.

Zibanejad quietly had a 3 point night with 8 shots on net!!! Big performance for him, and very much needed. He was blanked in his last 2 games with a combined 5 shots over 40 Mins of hockey.

Blais has 116 hits in 39 games this season. That's almost 3 hits per game. Last night however...that hit was the first time post-surgery that Blais threw a real Sammy Blais hit. To do it on one of the toughest hombres in the league is saying something to your teammates. Like an "I want to be back" statement.

Halak made some beauty saves. Then missed on some stinkers. With that said, he got the W. 6 wins in a row for him. 7 out of his last 8 games.

Ben Harpur doesn't get much credit, yet he blocked 4 shots on the night, Thats solid for a 5/6 D with 14 Mins of icetime.

Per Vince; Columbus, Calgary, Nashville, Dallas, Chicago, Winnipeg, Tampa, Seattle, Colorado, Anaheim, Arizona all had scouts at the game last night. CGY already indicated they are going to buy at the deadline, but im pretty certain that many of them were in the building to look at some NYR players that may be available at the deadline. This could also be a Negative!

Negatives

Filip Chytil is going to make it hard for Drury in the off season to keep him affordable. 8 goals, 4 assists in his last 12 games while averaging 14 Mins of icetime and very little PP time over that span.

4 Giveaways last night for Artemi.

The Rangers top line, gave up a goal against the CGY 3rd line, and they did it being lacksidasical on the backcheck.

Im not a Gallant hater, but the post game was a little concerning. When asked about the clubs physical play, i thought for sure he revved them up in the room saying. "Take a look around you. Not all of you are going to be here March 3rd. Club is going to look to make some additions, to play in a heavier game, and to add some scoring on the top lines." But...Gallant actually said. "I have no idea what got into them and why they played so physical" Was it a players meeting or did Drury have a say? Weird!

Per Vince; Columbus, Calgary, Nashville, Dallas, Chicago, Winnipeg, Tampa, Seattle, Colorado, Anaheim, Arizona all had scouts at the game last night. CGY already indicated they are going to buy at the deadline, but im pretty certain that many of them were in the building to look at some NYR players that may be available at the deadline. This could also be a positive.
Gallant is not the type to take credit for the players stepping up no matter what he said to them.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Yes. They can check double minors for high stick and all major penalties. It's very rare the rescind the entire penalty and usually make it a minor if anything, but i'm happy they got it right.

So I get all that but to eventually come out of it with no penalty on the play, really not sure I've witnessed that before...normally see a minor still called.

I was happy too that they wiped it off the board, heck I thought it was clean in real time-live! lol

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Nothing happened in that game, but Kreider literally beat Eakin with his own helmet the next time they played.

FWIW, I had NO issue with Dube going after Trouba after he smoked Kadri. I'd want one of my guys going after someone if they hit one of my stars too. Having to fight after the hit on Dube was dumb though. It was a hard hit, but nothing crazy.
I think it’s hard to judge sometimes. But the price to do that, on a clean hit, should be the instigator at minimum. And if the hitter doesn’t drop his gloves or just holds on to protect himself he shouldn’t be penalized AT ALL and the aggressor should still get the 17 mins.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So I get all that but to eventually come out of it with no penalty on the play, really not sure I've witnessed that before...normally see a minor still called.

I was happy too that they wiped it off the board, heck I thought it was clean in real time-live! lol
I've seen it before on a double minor for high sticking. They reviewed it and saw it was a teammate who did it and it was rescinded completely.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Trouba only 57% of the vote…even Ed Jofa Novski voted for him…
bunk-moreland.gif

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
just watching the replay of Laf's goal. man the ref is lucky that shattered stick from Markstrom's didn't hit him.
Literally said this to my wife last night as it was happening.

Markstrom was lucky too. That'dve been one heck of a suspension I'm sure if the ref got hurt.

Reactions: JRinNYC

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Big open ice hits like this cause the opponent to make poor decisions with the puck later on in the same game, you'll often see players pull up and unload a puck in a rushed decision later on in games after big hits have happened. Players are looking over their shoulders, playing with the knowledge that they could get clocked and that has an impact on your decision making and everything you do on the ice.

well now two different things are being said. I don’t really think what you are describing happened.

Or knocks opposing players out of games within legal limits. Did you not appreciate Crosby not being able to go for a critical playoff game? Or Jarvis?

No, I don’t really celebrate a player justifying his contract by concussing the opposition twice a year.

But hitting hard and clean in the middle of the ice matters. It seems every time Trouba lays out somebody the other team retaliates and I also think it makes the other team think a little more about going in those areas. It can't hurt that's for sure.
It doesn’t hurt but again I question it’s impact. This is a game in which the hits occurred and then we quickly gave up the lead. I don’t buy the impact.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Big open ice hits like this cause the opponent to make poor decisions with the puck later on in the same game, you'll often see players pull up and unload a puck in a rushed decision later on in games after big hits have happened. Players are looking over their shoulders, playing with the knowledge that they could get clocked and that has an impact on your decision making and everything you do on the ice.
Absolutely. If you delay for a 1/4 second things change dramatically.

Hits like that send shockwaves through the opposition and also the league.

The fact that PTI (known worldwide for NEVER talking hockey) had an entire segment today with their graphic saying "THE TROUBA TRAIN" showing those hits over and over again... the lower 3rd said "Goodbye Kadri's helmet"

EVERY team is well aware of that AND the fact that they were legal AND the fact that he answered the bell after each one and put another body down.

That IS INTIMIDATION

He's been ass this season but if last night is who we get going forward... wow

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Absolutely. If you delay for a 1/4 second things change dramatically.

Hits like that send shockwaves through the opposition and also the league.

The fact that PTI (known worldwide for NEVER talking hockey) had an entire segment today with their graphic saying "THE TROUBA TRAIN" showing those hits over and over again... the lower 3rd said "Goodbye Kadri's helmet"

EVERY team is well aware of that AND the fact that they were legal AND the fact that he answered the bell after each one and put another body down.

That IS INTIMIDATION

He's been ass this season but if last night is who we get going forward... wow
I mean, we had this Trouba last playoffs too.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
well now two different things are being said. I don’t really think what you are describing happened.

No, I don’t really celebrate a player justifying his contract by concussing the opposition twice a year.

It doesn’t hurt but again I question it’s impact. This is a game in which the hits occurred and then we quickly gave up the lead. I don’t buy the impact.
I disagree. I think it has a significant impact in most cases. The hits caused the other team to get frustrated and the end result was two PP's one of which they scored on. Plus the possibility of the opposition having second thoughts about going into high danger areas. You need skill to win above all else but physicality is important as well especially in the playoffs.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I disagree. I think it has a significant impact in most cases. The hits caused the other team to get frustrated and the end result was two PP's one of which they scored on. Plus the possibility of the opposition having second thoughts about going into high danger areas. You need skill to win above all else but physicality is important as well especially in the playoffs.
You are absolutely correct. it frustrates the other team, it makes them hesitate, think twice, make bad decisions. It also wears down the opposition especially in a series, but even over the course a single game it can be a difference maker late. I have to say anyone who tries to tell you differently is either clueless or has a narrative they are trying to further.
Physicality/hitting IS a skill. That’s a fact.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Well then we just flat out disagree. The Flames were 100% looking over their shoulders (so to speak) all night after those hits, they had a ton of misfired outlet passes and our forecheck was creating a bunch of chances, especially in the 3rd period. The cumulative effect in game of playing physical and finishing checks absolutely contributes to players hesitating and making poor decisions and this was definitely happening last night. Then you get the bonus when it's big hits like last night where the opposition is very aware of it so they're focusing on it and preparing for hits and thinking about that over making the right play.

We play them again in 10 days so we may also get the residual impact felt in that game too, I could see Calgary coming out and over extending trying to land some big hits early that could open things up for us.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I agree, but Mika didn't do it all when he first got here... around the same age as Chytil currently is. Chytil's progress is extremely encouraging. It makes us a much more dangerous team.
If I had a dime for every time I was pointing to Mika as an example of a kid who’s been in the NHL since his draft and didn’t start putting it together until he was around 23/24.

Kravtsov with mika and bread, move vesey down to 3rd line, move goodrow to 4th line center. Send Leschyshyn back to waivers.
Stopped reading after Kravtsov…

LoveGoons

Mar 3, 2021
If I had a dime for every time I was pointing to Mika as an example of a kid who’s been in the NHL since his draft and didn’t start putting it together until he was around 23/24.

Stopped reading after Kravtsov…
Give kravy one more year or a covid mulligan year unless someone blow our doors off with a young physical forward or dmen or 1st round..do not trade our pick for a rental.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

LoveGoons

Mar 3, 2021
Wish we had three more players on team that could play a physical game like Trouba…it might be the his best game as a ranger.. although his playoff games were really strong. Honestly the only reason we won the cup was because of Buek, graves, Noonan, Mattoe, Tik, Lowe, Anderson, mctavish, and Kocur. It wasn’t the Amonte, Garner or Turcott’s of the world

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Wish we had three more players on team that could play a physical game like Trouba…it might be the his best game as a ranger.. although his playoff games were really strong. Honestly the only reason we won the cup was because of Buek, graves, Noonan, Mattoe, Tik, Lowe, Anderson, mctavish, and Kocur. It wasn’t the Amonte, Garner or Turcott’s of the world
Not really. The reason we won the cup was because of Messier, Leetch, Graves, Richter, and Zubov although everybody played a part. There aren't 3 people in the entire league who hit like Trouba. He's a master of those clean, vicious open ice hits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad