• Will Cullen

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Another thing, it feels like the Trochek line are either the best line on the ice or the worst, no inbetween.

Last night was the latter, they turned it over constantly and Goodrow is over his head on that line. Trochek/Kreider actually pulled off some nice passes and breakouts that he never seemed to be ready for.
They need a top 6 RW at the deadline like Tank then move Goodrow to 4th line and maybe add a 4th liner. Those top 3 lines are fire.

Panarin-Mika-Tarasenko
Laf-Chytil-Kakko
Kreider-Trocheck-Vesey
? - Goodrow - ?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Chytil needs to get better defensively and on draws first. Mika does it all. He's the first player out in every crucial situation, and it's not even close. PK, PP, OT, Shoot outs. He's the man.
I agree, but Mika didn't do it all when he first got here... around the same age as Chytil currently is. Chytil's progress is extremely encouraging. It makes us a much more dangerous team.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Kadri was horrific and deserved that hit. He went high on Trouba early and took his number for later. He also turned it over on the Chytil house call. And when Jacob popped him later he got up praying he didnt need to fight.
This is the what I grew up seeing. Kadri took a run at Trouba, Trouba took his number and later put him into orbit, Miller had some words for him, if Kadri wanted some, they might have gone, but he wasn't forced to fight for throwing a far more borderline hit than any of the three NYR hits that caused ruckuses (rucki? who the f*** knows?) I admit, I like a good fight, but I think it's insane that so often the instigator isn't handed out for those post clean hit revenge seeking incidents. Even last night, Tanev got a two for roughing and a five. Should have gotten 17.

I hear ya... but a Stanley Cup could be won by that goal and that would be a God damn disgrace.

It does take some skill to deflect a puck in off one's skate... true.

You can't have guys kicking at things with metal blades on their feet... also true.

I think the rule is ok... but maybe reverse it so it needs to "clearly be a deflection" rather than "no goal for distinct kicking motion"?
I think you are onto something there.

Reactions: McRanger92

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny
Lafreniere has looked like a different player ever since being back with Fil and Kaapo. He looks like he has more jump and speed on his strides and he’s actually playing with pace and looking to make things happen. Tonight his skating was particularly noticeable.

Now we need to pick up a right winger for Mika and Bread, slide Vesey to 3RW and put Goodrow at 4C.

Laf-Fil-KK looks like it should stay together. Gallant seemed to be trusting them big time too. They simply play their best hockey together at this point, them overly deferring to the veteran line mates is a real thing.

Having that line and then the Kreider-Trocheck duo on line 3 gives you 2/3 of an extremely solid top 9. Now we just need Mika and Panarin to really start to gel.
Kravtsov with mika and bread, move vesey down to 3rd line, move goodrow to 4th line center. Send Leschyshyn back to waivers.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
This is the what I grew up seeing. Kadri took a run at Trouba, Trouba took his number and later put him into orbit, Miller had some words for him, if Kadri wanted some, they might have gone, but he wasn't forced to fight for throwing a far more borderline hit than any of the three NYR hits that caused ruckuses (rucki? who the f*** knows?) I admit, I like a good fight, but I think it's insane that so often the instigator isn't handed out for those post clean hit revenge seeking incidents. Even last night, Tanev got a two for roughing and a five. Should have gotten 17.

Last nights game featured 1 team that is tough and another that was trying to prove that they were. For a team that has guys like Kadri, Lucic, Zadarov, etc. the Rangers were pushing them around and taking them out of their game. When the Rangers play that engaged they are at their best.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Last nights game featured 1 team that is tough and another that was trying to prove that they were. For a team that has guys like Kadri, Lucic, Zadarov, etc. the Rangers were pushing them around and taking them out of their game. When the Rangers play that engaged they are at their best.
Totally agreed.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Can they do that against the B's? Tampa? They'll need to

Reactions: bhamill

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Can we (MSG) like, show the shot speed? Pretty please? ESPN shows it, Canadian teams' broadcasts show it. For example Chytil's first goal from the Calgary feed:

View attachment 646830

and his second:
View attachment 646831

Good but not elite speed on the shot- Franky V hit 78 I believe on one of his rippers from the slot in the playoffs and Motte hit 75 in the playoffs I believe as well, but Chytil uses a quick release and perfect placement on is first and deception and a quick release on number 2.

The more speed you get skating up ice helps as well and Chytil was 21 mph on number 1 and 22 mph on number 2, good but not elite speed there as well. Interesting things to note- you really don't need to have the best speed or best shot to be a goal scorer but they certainly help (McDavid almost on a GPG pace lol)
I love Canadian broadcasts compared to American ones. They narrate details of how the game is played so much better. The flames color guy gave a great insight about how Chytil froze and fooled markstrom on the breakaway by rolling his hands over to disguise his release and keep the puck flat for a five hole shot so that markstrom can't see it coming and thinks it's going elsewhere.

Markstrom should have gotten a penalty for his temper tantrum after Laffy's OT win.
He did, was awarded a misconduct according to Sportsnet.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
are NYR having a strong season?
8th overall in Pts%
7th in games over .500
7th in Reg Losses/GP

5 of the 7/6 teams ahead of them are also in the East (the top 5 overall)
which can make them seem more 'middle of the pack'
but really, only 2 teams in NHL have performed very significantly better, Boston and Carolina
true, seems like there are very few Really good teams in the league this year, Boston, Carolina, and sadly NJ. The West is so mid with the Avs and Knights struggling with injury all season

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I agree, but Mika didn't do it all when he first got here... around the same age as Chytil currently is. Chytil's progress is extremely encouraging. It makes us a much more dangerous team.
Totally. Exciting to see this from Chytil and the other two kids. That pass from Kakko on his first goal was so nice. Let them get the easier matchups this year, they'll feast.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Would have been the easiest 3 stars vote ever, except...There were 4. But do you go with Lafreniere, or do you go with Zibanejad? I mean a game winner always put you in contention for a star of the game. An OT game winner though...That's real tough to beat unless someone puts up a 3 point night. Well, yeah. Zibanejad did just that. With that said, vote goes to the kid. He needs momentum!

Positives;

Was arguably the most entertaining game of the year. Everyone is talking about it. Like the physicality or not, its It's good for ratings because Its more for exposure which in turn is good for revenue.

Chytil was amazing! Like, really showing confidence with the puck. Skating has been tremendous. Rangers can't draft well, and develop well crew is really going to have to start digging deeper.

Trouba Um, who are you and what did you do to Jacob Trouba? He was Scott Stevens last night. So impressed with the physicality he displayed.

The Kid line combined for 4 points even though the OT winner wasent from that line. They were a combined plus/minus +5 in a very close game. Lafreniere was credited with 5 hits. Chytil was credited with 3 takeways. Kakko with 1. The line only had 1 giveaway all night.

Zibanejad quietly had a 3 point night with 8 shots on net!!! Big performance for him, and very much needed. He was blanked in his last 2 games with a combined 5 shots over 40 Mins of hockey.

Blais has 116 hits in 39 games this season. That's almost 3 hits per game. Last night however...that hit was the first time post-surgery that Blais threw a real Sammy Blais hit. To do it on one of the toughest hombres in the league is saying something to your teammates. Like an "I want to be back" statement.

Halak made some beauty saves. Then missed on some stinkers. With that said, he got the W. 6 wins in a row for him. 7 out of his last 8 games.

Ben Harpur doesn't get much credit, yet he blocked 4 shots on the night, Thats solid for a 5/6 D with 14 Mins of icetime.

Per Vince; Columbus, Calgary, Nashville, Dallas, Chicago, Winnipeg, Tampa, Seattle, Colorado, Anaheim, Arizona all had scouts at the game last night. CGY already indicated they are going to buy at the deadline, but im pretty certain that many of them were in the building to look at some NYR players that may be available at the deadline. This could also be a Negative!

Negatives

Filip Chytil is going to make it hard for Drury in the off season to keep him affordable. 8 goals, 4 assists in his last 12 games while averaging 14 Mins of icetime and very little PP time over that span.

4 Giveaways last night for Artemi.

The Rangers top line, gave up a goal against the CGY 3rd line, and they did it being lacksidasical on the backcheck.

Im not a Gallant hater, but the post game was a little concerning. When asked about the clubs physical play, i thought for sure he revved them up in the room saying. "Take a look around you. Not all of you are going to be here March 3rd. Club is going to look to make some additions, to play in a heavier game, and to add some scoring on the top lines." But...Gallant actually said. "I have no idea what got into them and why they played so physical" Was it a players meeting or did Drury have a say? Weird!

Per Vince; Columbus, Calgary, Nashville, Dallas, Chicago, Winnipeg, Tampa, Seattle, Colorado, Anaheim, Arizona all had scouts at the game last night. CGY already indicated they are going to buy at the deadline, but im pretty certain that many of them were in the building to look at some NYR players that may be available at the deadline. This could also be a positive.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
I don't really have any interest in Meier for the price he's gonna cost, both in trade assets and then contract.

He's another of these 1B type players. I would rather use my draft picks on young kids or keep the powder dry for the next Eichel type that comes available.
He hits and shoots like a mad man. We need guys like that

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Blais has 116 hits in 39 games this season. That's almost 3 hits per game. Last night however...that hit was the first time post-surgery that Blais threw a real Sammy Blais hit. To do it on one of the toughest hombres in the league is saying something to your teammates. Like an "I want to be back" statement.

Blais Trouba-Trained Milan Lucic. He has earned another game for that alone. lol.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
1675795717867.jpeg

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
I only missed a few games this year and thankfully the games I missed to this point were duds.

Looks like I missed a fun one last night. I will be away the next two weeks. I hope I miss a lot of wins!!

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Games like that will keep Trouba desireable around the league when it comes time to trade him. If guys like Ristolainen and Myers and OEL are still being acquired and signed to mega deals then Trouba should be a layup.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

As far as entertainment value last night's game was a blast. That said it was kind of a sloppy defensive game for us so I don't know I'd say we were at our best. Halak also has been playing well for some time but he let in a mediocre one or two. There are things from last night we need to clean up.....first game after a long layoff that's almost to be expected. A thing I liked is we didn't give up when we fell behind in the 3rd. We came back and then we won it.

The physical play was certainly welcome for me. Kadri jumped Lindgren a couple years ago. I don't mind fights but that wasn't fair and Trouba popping his helmet off his head was deserved payback AFAIC. I also don't mind players sticking up for teammates even on clean legal hits. That said being cagy about it and not putting yourself in a position to take 17 minutes (whether it's called or not) is smarter than just jumping a guy. Sometimes waiting for the next face-off is better.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What was the live-crowd reaction like? Did it get a pop from the crowd? Did it trigger Buchnevich supporters, sparking melees with Blais lovers in the stands?

I cheered because it was Lucic. lol. Crowd was bigger on the Trouba hits to be honest, and even heard Trouba chants.

Reactions: will1066
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad