Expectations for Matthew Knies.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Expectations? For him to hopefully not be ruined by Keefe's asinine deployment and line blender shift by shift

I think if the more Keefe run the blender the better for Knives. My thinking is: Knives will likely not come out of camp with a top 6 spot. With that in mind, the blender would give him some time with top 6 players and more time with top 6 players may earn him more TOI.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think if the more Keefe run the blender the better for Knives. My thinking is: Knives will likely not come out of camp with a top 6 spot. With that in mind, the blender would give him some time with top 6 players and more time with top 6 players may earn him more TOI.

Keefe needs to rely on the blender less. We got nothing but the blender from the trade deadline to the end of the season and it showed in the lack of chemistry our lines/pairings displayed.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Not too sure. These are pros playing 1000s on minutes together yearly. Chemistry over rated in this instance IMO.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
High end - he clicks with one of the top 2 lines, playing with either Matthews or Marner or both, and has a healthy season, playing ahead of Domi and other wingers.
35 goals, 25 assists, 60 pts - Calder trophy

Low end - he doesn't play a full season because of injuries here and there, has a few dry spells, but overall is a very solid depth piece:
25 goals, 15 assists, 40 pts

Folks - we have a really, really solid player here, I think he's the real deal, and we should be nothing but excited about it.

Reactions: mikeyz

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If he gets top-six and PP2 minutes, 40+ points over a full season seems reasonable. He brings a few dimensions that will really help the team up front (board work, more direct brand of offense):

These are great clips. Showing his skill, grit, board work at the NHL level at the most intense pressure of the playoffs. Could have easily had 3 goals more and a few assists as well. Not to mention the goal line save he made as well. Excited to see a full season of him. Such a big presence along the boards and smart. Guessing 40-50 points at the low end, 60-80 if he plays with Matthews and PP time.

Vinh

Mar 19, 2010
Montreal
virtualhockeyscout.substack.com
These are great clips. Showing his skill, grit, board work at the NHL level at the most intense pressure of the playoffs. Could have easily had 3 goals more and a few assists as well. Not to mention the goal line save he made as well. Excited to see a full season of him. Such a big presence along the boards and smart. Guessing 40-50 points at the low end, 60-80 if he plays with Matthews and PP time.
Beyond the production, I'm really intrigued by how he'll affect his line's playing style. In the "Instant Offense" video, you can see that he takes more of a quick-strike approach. The puck gets to the middle of the ice in a hurry. That could be a nice counterpoint to Keefe's emphasis on buildup play.

Hopefully, a full offseason of training makes him stronger down low too.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I expect knies to have a good enough agent to council him on getting on the right track with the fans.
Oct 19 he will have a reunion with Sam Bennet. He needs to get some training with Reeves and deal with that guy like a man. Settle the score and send a message that he isn't a p***y. Win or lose, he will endear himself in the mold of Wendel.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I expect knies to have a good enough agent to council him on getting on the right track with the fans.
Oct 19 he will have a reunion with Sam Bennet. He needs to get some training with Reeves and deal with that guy like a man. Settle the score and send a message that he isn't a p***y. Win or lose, he will endear himself in the mold of Wendel.
He will get pumped. Can't find a single fight of his on record. Having a broken orbital bone is probably not the best thing for him at this point.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Um yeah, sure thing.

• Haha
Reactions: Darcy Tucker

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Why do you think Reaves is here? That's his job.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Play with some jam and use your size but avoid being injury prone and develop your offensive skills. Awful way to start your career , getting concussed by a trashbag. Let's hope he can be a difference maker.

Could he be a calder contender and how much does his first concussion hold him back??

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Wonder if it's first one though, concussion that is? First big league one. Awfully hard to play high level hockey presumably basically his entire life and not have had one at some point. I think my son was seven for his first one.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
That would be awesome, hopefully some it would then rub off on the other Leafs

Reactions: Notsince67

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He will get pumped. Can't find a single fight of his on record. Having a broken orbital bone is probably not the best thing for him at this point.

Yep. He doesn't have a history of fighting. I wouldn't expect him to develop one out of the blue either. He's a skill player who plays physical, but he's not going to start throwing punches.

Reactions: smitty10

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Currently on pace for 26 goals 17 assists 43 points. The production is getting better. While he still makes his mistakes, we are seeing plenty of smart skilled stick plays, which kind of reminds me of Matthews with the ability to take the puck away, using his body and skill to keep the puck and then find the open man.

Really pleased so far. Would be really nice to see all of Knies, Robertson, Cowan and Minten make it, stick and make an impact going forward. No matter the direction the team is going in terms of salary cap, core, contracts etc..., having 4 young players make it and be cheap, young and contributing would go a long way.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I expect him to be ruined attitude wise if he continues to play with 34 and 16, their lack of commitment might be catching……..

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Currently on pace for 26 goals 17 assists 43 points. The production is getting better. While he still makes his mistakes, we are seeing plenty of smart skilled stick plays, which kind of reminds me of Matthews with the ability to take the puck away, using his body and skill to keep the puck and then find the open man.

Really pleased so far. Would be really nice to see all of Knies, Robertson, Cowan and Minten make it, stick and make an impact going forward. No matter the direction the team is going in terms of salary cap, core, contracts etc..., having 4 young players make it and be cheap, young and contributing would go a long way.
Let’s hope the gm feels the same

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad