Expectations for Matthew Knies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I'd say around 50 points, but could easily be closer to 60 if he plays top 6 minutes for the majority of the season.

Reactions: slozo

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Will depend on where Keefe deploys him. Is he on the 3rd line with Kampf and Jarnkrok or with the core four in the top six. Showed a lot of promise in the playoffs. Think we got a good one.

Reactions: BayStBullies

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
20 goals, 25 assists, 70 points.

-----

Ya, line combos. I mean you'd pencil him in on line 3 at the moment yes, with probably little to no PP time. With a full line up anyways, and first one up to plug a top 2 line hole?

All things considered above.. 15-20 goals, sure, 20-25 assists-ish? 35-45 points? That feels high for a rookie third liner, he looked good in playoffs but was getting top line allocations. A lot of variables.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Needs to learn how to be pro. No reason to think he won’t be successful without some minor hiccups.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
He needs to be on the 2nd line with Tavares and Marner.

Let Matthews line draw the tougher assignments and top defensive pairings.

Let Marner create space and Tavares be literally an on ice coach for him, as well as on the bench.

He’s still a kid and a rookie. Don’t waste him playing on the bottom 6 with less skilled players, but don’t throw him into the fire of playing other teams top lines and top defensive pairings.

Last edited:

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If the playoffs were any indication and he gets a top 6 role I would be surprised if he didn't put up like 20-25 goals

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
A lot will depend on deployment. While I think he's a virtual lock to be on the roster there's a lot of competition for those top six left wing slots. Not to mention powerplay configuration and minutes. Leafs this season have enough offensive punch to run two capable PP units, so we'll see if Keefe adjusts and uses both an equal amount or if he still over-relies on the first PP unit. If he keeps to old habits then Knies better hope he's on the first unit otherwise the opportunity for powerplay points will be low.

17 Goals and 24 Assists for 41 points.

Last edited:

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto

Let Marner create space and Tavares be literally an on ice coach for him, as well as on the bench.

He’s still a kid and a rookie. Don’t waste him playing on the bottom 6 with less skilled players, but don’t throw him into the fire of playing other teams too lines and top defensive pairings.

You and @ACC1224 aren't friends of mine in Week 1. Go 9ers! :)

Where's that NFL thread at?

Reactions: Buds17

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

He’s still a kid and a rookie. Don’t waste him playing on the bottom 6 with less skilled players, but don’t throw him into the fire of playing other teams too lines and top defensive pairings.

Management has already said Domi starts on the wing so unless Bertuzzi is on the 3rd line, and I highly highly doubt that Knies starts on the 3rd line and he should.

I think he gets his shot In the top 6 because There is going to be an injury at some point but I think you need to earn that and as of August 28 2023 There are 6 established, proven top 6 forwards ahead of him.

Will that change? Hopefully because that means he's doing great, but right now today August 28 2023 he's #7 for sure, arguably #8 on the depth chart In terms of overall forward depth

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
If he takes coaching from Mitchy he will not last the year. He is a mature rookie.
He appears to be more Hyman than MM type of player. If he plays like Bunting his teamates will turn on him.
Reaves etc should be able to provide cover as he learns to play the game.
He looks strong on skates, wide body, likes the front of the net.
I hope he keeps his gloves on for 30 or 40 games while he discovers how strong guys are are. He needs to turn down challenges for a while without showing fear (like Bunting did almost every game) .He is not a fighter, but eventually he must show he will fight.
I see in time a Bob Gainey. If he is more than that, wow.

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
125 PIMs.

Seriously, if he plays 75 games, learns to play solid D, chips in 15 goals and gets some Calder votes it would be a terrific start.

He’s never played an 82 game schedule so it won’t be a shock if he has a stretch where he looks out of place.

Last edited:

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Knies will start out on the 3rd line, but will be be moved into the top 6 role when Bertuzzi suffers his injury. At which point, Knies begins to play so well in that role that there will then be debate over who deserves the spot once Bert comes back.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
45-50 points
I expect he'll start strong on the top 6 but he'll slow down as the season wears on. He's never had an 82 game schedule and historically, college guys start to feel it.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Low end top six production (40ish points). He'll get minimum PP opportunity, and will likely jump between the 3rd and second line. He absolutely has the career potential to go beyond this but a full rookie season will always have adjustments/ups and downs

AndyWozniewski

Jan 18, 2017
Probably starts on the Marlies this year. I don't think Keefe/management want him in the bottom 6. And he's not beating out Domi or Bertuzzi in the top 6. He'll get first line minutes on the Marlies where he'll get used to playing a rigorous 82 game season (I know it's 72 in the AHL but point still stands).

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
He’s going to create a ton of offense for his line mates due to his puck pursuit. Not sure he will produce huge numbers yet but that will come

Reactions: kb and LeafSteel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad