Expectations for Matthew Knies.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Hoping Knies and Matthews have been playing a lot together throughout the summer in Arizona and have built some really good chemistry on and off the ice.

Knies - Matthews - Bertuzzi has the makings of a really good line. Size, physicality, shooting and playmaking.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hoping Knies and Matthews have been playing a lot together throughout the summer in Arizona and have built some really good chemistry on and off the ice.

Knies - Matthews - Bertuzzi has the makings of a really good line. Size, physicality, shooting and playmaking.

That would require splitting Matthews and Marner and that's not going to happen.

Not by choice anyway

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Knies' old man looks like a real hard noser.

Pedigree is important in a hockey player. One only needs to look at Nylander to see that. I left that sentence ambiguous for a reason.

Using Dobber's NHLe calculator Knies is projected to have 29 points in 82 games.

I think a roster spot is his to lose. Depending on where he's placed in the lineup will determine how well he does on the stat sheet. I'm a firm believer opportunity is the single biggest factor in success.

Vegas and Seattle both taking rosters of other teams rejects deep into the playoffs is a good confirmation of that.

Unfortunately for Knies, Bertuzzi and Domi make a lot more money. And come with a lot more name brand recognition. So Knies will have to carve a role out for himself playing with an offensive black hole in Kampf.

To be honest, if all this kid does is punch a few faces I'll like him better than half the guys ahead of him on the roster.

Including Nylander.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
That would require splitting Matthews and Marner and that's not going to happen.

Not by choice anyway
The Leafs played their best hockey last regular season when Matthews and Marner were on separate lines. JT basically needs Marner to produce and we’ve definitely upgraded our depth in the top six replacing Bunting with Bertuzzi and Kerfoot with Domi.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Leafs played their best hockey last regular season when Matthews and Marner were on separate lines. JT basically needs Marner to produce and we’ve definitely upgraded our depth in the top six replacing Bunting with Bertuzzi and Kerfoot with Domi.

No argument there I love those signings but unless there is an injury Matthews and Marner are joined together

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Not by choice anyway

I can see them switching Marner and Nylander, as they did some last year.

I don't see them dropping one of them to the third line just so either Knies or Bertuzzi can play his wrong side.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I can see them switching Marner and Nylander, as they did some last year.

I don't see them dropping one of them to the third line just so either Knies or Bertuzzi can play his wrong side.

I'm not talking about splitting them up for a couple shifts or even a couple games.

I'm talking about splitting them up long term.

Not splitting term up on Tuesday and then having then back together by Saturday

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm not talking about splitting them up for a couple shifts or even a couple games.

According to at least one web site, Nylander spent roughly as much ES time with Matthews as Marner did last year.

But that wasn't my point - neither one is going to play on the third line just so a left winger can play right wing.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Was hoping to split one of them up to a different team…….but here we are. Lol

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If he gets top-six and PP2 minutes, 40+ points over a full season seems reasonable. He brings a few dimensions that will really help the team up front (board work, more direct brand of offense):

Knies, Bertuzzi, Domi and Reaves makes a very different group up front

Reactions: Vinh

Vinh

Mar 19, 2010
Montreal
virtualhockeyscout.substack.com
Knies, Bertuzzi, Domi and Reaves makes a very different group up front
Yep. With Knies and Bertuzzi in the top six (I'd put Domi in the 3LW spot), the team can wear defenses out rather than just outskill them. Being able to score in different ways is huge. We already saw how much trouble screens and tips gave Vasi in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Probably work out best as digger for JT's line. If it works out well, I can see bigger role on pk as season progress. Bertuzzi will get the scoring role. His 5 mil contract tells me so.

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Knies will start out on the 3rd line, but will be be moved into the top 6 role when Bertuzzi suffers his injury. At which point, Knies begins to play so well in that role that there will then be debate over who deserves the spot once Bert comes back.
My thinking 🤔 exactly

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm no wide-eyed fanboy and I don't like to count my chickens.... but my hope/expectation is that, if he starts on the 3rd line as everyone seems to expect he will, his level of play will soon make it impossible to keep him down on the 3rd. He'll start getting PP time, too. 25 goals, 40 assists, 65 points. I think this is an unusually mature rookie.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Too subtle I guess lol.. I'm glad someone got it. I'm not sure if some of the likes and laughs are getting it too or just laughing at bad math. If I went straight 30 goals, 40 assists, 100 points maybe?
One of my favourite interviews.

RIP Wade Belak. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Squiffy

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yeah I could see around 60-65 points on the high end with responsible defense. That's the type of player he looked like in the playoffs anyway.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I don't know if I already replied on this earlier but I'll say it now... I hope for 20 goals and 20 assists.

15 goals and 30 or so points is decent.

Depends where they put him and if he gets powerplay time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad