Expectations for Matthew Knies.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I think a lot of it depends on where he plays. Right now, I'm assuming he's going to be our 3rd line left winger. I'm really hoping we can somehow improve on Kampf as our 3rd line center as having both Knies and Jarnkrok as good offensive players would really be a missed opportunity to have 3 solid scoring lines.

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Tavares-Nylander
Knies- signing/trade-Jarnkrok
Reaves-Kampf-Lafferty

I'm hoping for a Noah Gregor signing or P.T.O. Technically he's a winger but was a center in junior and I feel has some untapped offensive potential. He's physical, fast as hell and could be a great under the radar get. Still only 25 as well.

Or you could go the veteran way and see if Stastny has atleast 1 more year left in him.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
He's going to get minimal PP time and may spend a lot of time in the bottom 6 so I could see a 15g 15a 30 point season

In that situation that would be a successful first season in my eyes
This is reasonable. He had a really good season with the Gophers last year, but he doesn't exactly scream offensive juggernaut.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Bertuzzi Matthews Nylander
Knies Tavares Marner
_______ Domi Jarnkrok
Holmberg Kampf Lafferty
Reaves

Robertson/Holmberg as 3LW?

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Most likely he’ll hit the rookie wall. Might even spend some time on the Marlins or in the press box. Reality.
Not saying he doesn’t have solid future but we need to temper expectations.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Management has already said Domi starts on the wing so unless Bertuzzi is on the 3rd line, and I highly highly doubt that Knies starts on the 3rd line and he should.

I think he gets his shot In the top 6 because There is going to be an injury at some point but I think you need to earn that and as of August 28 2023 There are 6 established, proven top 6 forwards ahead of him.

Will that change? Hopefully because that means he's doing great, but right now today August 28 2023 he's #7 for sure, arguably #8 on the depth chart In terms of overall forward depth
I hear you but I think 3 LW goes to Robertson, unless they are cap crunched again and has to be sent down to the Marlies.

We really need Robertson to earn and win the 3 LW and Knies, and he’s proved he can contribute at 2LW.

I see it starting:

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Domi-Jarnkrok

I have a hunch that Domi and Robertson could have good chemistry, and adding Jarnkrok helps bring some defensive acumen to the line, particularly considering that defensive hockey is something Keefe is going to have to work on with Domi.

Hoping we see what we’ve been waiting for from Robertson. The kid is relentless and has done everything we’ve asked him to do, and taken demotions to keep guys like Malgin and gone and performed on the Marlies.

Knies has shown he belongs and I can’t wait to see what he can do after a full training camp and more familiarity, but if we can plunk the kid down in the middle of the playoffs and he performs, there is a lot to be optimistic about.

Just hoping that they both stay healthy.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Probably hovers around the 0.5 PPG mark (ultimately finishing up at just below that mark). Barring injury, I'd expect him to play on the third line most often.

Reactions: kb

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I expect he'll be a regular before the season is over. He has a lot to learn as we saw in the playoffs but his skill should earn him a full time spot once he cleans up/learns his defensive play a bit.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
1 point more than McDavid.

In all seriousness though, I think we are going back to 2 split powerplay units and assuming that’s the case he’ll have a spot and I think 20/50 isn’t out of the question.

Would need a lot to go right, starting with health, but I think it’s plausible.

More conservatively 15/25 would also be a good rookie season.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Depends what role he’s given.

I’m expecting him to flourish in whichever role that is. Dude is talented and versatile, has all the tools to succeed wherever he’s placed in the lineup.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I'll go off the grain and call for a slightly sub Calder trophy level performance: 25 goals, 30 assists plus a penalty killing role despite an injury/fatigue mid season. It will be both a blessing and a curse. The blessing being the best drafted player since Matthews/Marner/Nylander. The curse being the large contract demands that are attached to producing at a young age in Toronto.

Also there's absolutely no reason that Knies can't play and flourish lower in the lineup. That's such a tired trope that such and such young player is wasted in the bottom 6. It's just used by teams as an excuse to reduce a young player's NHL experience. The level of hockey that bottom 6 NHL forwards face is far more challenging than the AHL.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I keep thinking about Matty Beniers and how close the two have been statistically at various points in their USHL and Big 10 careers. If Knies can give us 80% of Beniers’ Calder winning season that will be a home run.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I hear you but I think 3 LW goes to Robertson, unless they are cap crunched again and has to be sent down to the Marlies.

We really need Robertson to earn and win the 3 LW and Knies, and he’s proved he can contribute at 2LW.

I see it starting:

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Domi-Jarnkrok

I have a hunch that Domi and Robertson could have good chemistry, and adding Jarnkrok helps bring some defensive acumen to the line, particularly considering that defensive hockey is something Keefe is going to have to work on with Domi.

Hoping we see what we’ve been waiting for from Robertson. The kid is relentless and has done everything we’ve asked him to do, and taken demotions to keep guys like Malgin and gone and performed on the Marlies.

Knies has shown he belongs and I can’t wait to see what he can do after a full training camp and more familiarity, but if we can plunk the kid down in the middle of the playoffs and he performs, there is a lot to be optimistic about.

Just hoping that they both stay healthy.

I don't think Robertson is taking that spot, he's made of glass, he's Marlies bound in my opinion.

To me the top 3 lines are

Bertuzzi Matthews Marner

Domi Tavares Nylander

Knies Kampf Jarnkrok

Kampf is the weak point there, I wouldn't be surprised if that spot is addressed at the deadline, but beyond Kampf that is a STRONG top 9, I don't think Robertson can break that.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
20 goals, 25 assists, 70 points.

-----

Ya, line combos. I mean you'd pencil him in on line 3 at the moment yes, with probably little to no PP time. With a full line up anyways, and first one up to plug a top 2 line hole?

All things considered above.. 15-20 goals, sure, 20-25 assists-ish? 35-45 points? That feels high for a rookie third liner, he looked good in playoffs but was getting top line allocations. A lot of variables.
Exactly, lots of variables, I'd love to see the guy come out of the chute a fully formed top 6 LW, but as everybody saw he took the NHL for granted. Lots of meat eaters in the league and he needs to figure out the "keep yer head up" part of the game before he sees prime time.

Hopefully he establishes a perimeter for himself, he doesn't need to make the all nasty team but he's got to make the opposition not trifle with him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think he looks the part of a middle 6er most of the season but will hit that rookie wall.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Most likely he’ll hit the rookie wall. Might even spend some time on the Marlins or in the press box. Reality.
Not saying he doesn’t have solid future but we need to temper expectations.
Seems reasonable. I couldn't care less how much he plays or how many points he gets, just bring the kid along slowly with the goal of him being ready to kick ass when the playoffs start. He looked so damn good in the playoffs for us, can't wait to see how he develops, just gotta remember that these things take some time so don't expect too much too soon.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He likely starts on 3rd line .. Leafs can't have him getting too many points on either of top 2 lines .. bad contract mgmt .. Tree/Keefer are old school .. too bad contracts are based on pts as its hurts younger guys chances

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He likely starts on 3rd line .. Leafs can't have him getting too many points on either of top 2 lines .. bad contract mgmt .. Tree/Keefer are old school .. too bad contracts are based on pts as its hurts younger guys chances
Too bad they didn't do that with Marner. IIIRC he started out playing with Bozak and JVR, pretty sweet spot to be in for putting points on the board.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah pretty standard old school thinking. I know that's one of the things Marner's group was pissed about initially but he was too good, they couldn't not play him.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah pretty standard old school thinking. I know that's one of the things Marner's group was pissed about initially but he was too good, they couldn't not play him.
It is harder to do with top 5 picks in draft .. especially with a guy like Paul ball busting Babs LOL

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He needs to be on the 2nd line with Tavares and Marner.

Let Matthews line draw the tougher assignments and top defensive pairings.

Let Marner create space and Tavares be literally an on ice coach for him, as well as on the bench.

He’s still a kid and a rookie. Don’t waste him playing on the bottom 6 with less skilled players, but don’t throw him into the fire of playing other teams too lines and top defensive pairings.
This is what I’d like to see as well:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Nylander
Knies - JT - Marner

But personally, the main reason I’d like to see that is fit with the centres.

Matthews is a play driving 2 way centre, who’s great defensively and drives play to the offensive zone whenever he’s on the ice. He can fit fine with Nylander and Bertuzzi, who are both strong offensively but weaker defensively. Matthews can cover for them defensively, and they'll have the puck most of the time regardless.

JT is a good finisher offensively, still has the hands, shot and hockey IQ, but he’s a weak skater, not good defensively and doesn’t drive possession. He needs play with possession driving wingers, who are strong defensively, and to me the top 2 choices there are Marner and Knies.

Domi can be the offensive spark on line 3. He’s better offensively than Knies at this point, but well behind Knies in terms of defence and possession driving. I think putting Domi with JT would be a mistake, they’d get lit up defensively. While putting JT with Marner/Knies, that compensates for JT's weaknesses nicely.

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
This is what I’d like to see as well:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Nylander
Knies - JT - Marner

But personally, the main reason I’d like to see that is fit with the centres.

Matthews is a play driving 2 way centre, who’s great defensively and drives play to the offensive zone whenever he’s on the ice. He can fit fine with Nylander and Bertuzzi, who are both strong offensively but weaker defensively.

JT is a good finisher offensively, still has the hands, shot and hockey IQ, but he’s a weak skater, not good defensively and doesn’t drive possession. He needs play driving wingers who are strong in their own end, and to me the top 2 choices there are Marner and Knies.

Domi can be the offensive spark on line 3. He’s better offensively than Knies at this point, but well behind Knies in terms of defence and play driving. I think putting Domi with JT would be a mistake, they’d get lit up defensively.
Well said, from start to finish. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad