News Article: Expansion Draft: Protection list, who Seattle might take

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There definitely were people worried about protection and selection. Maybe not you, specifically but that was a topic of conversation just like it is now. And no one anywhere thought PEB would be the selection. While I know the general sentiment around here is that all front offices have no idea what they are doing, I am confident that they have more intel and insight into what Seattle is doing. Sure, JVR could be the pick, just like PEB was the pick, but I don't think a) the Flyers are going into this blind or b) that it is as likely as you think they will take JVR. Voracek seems more likely, or Patrick if exposed. JVR I don't think is all that enticing at 32 with $7+ million for two years on an expansion team.

We protected Filpulla and Manning. We literally had zero legit concerns heading into Vegas expansion.

GoFightWin16

Jun 8, 2020
I agree, but I do think Fletcher will send something their way to take a player with term and salary off of his hands. I think JVR will end up in Seattle.

As for NAK I don't get why so many people think they will take him, especially when they follow it up with something about maybe with a bigger role he could be a scorer. He isn't talented enough offensively to be a consistent middle six forward, even on an expansion team.

I'm with you in that if they go the cheap route it'd be Braun or Hagg. Braun gives them a solid veteran D who they could flip for a decent pick or two at the deadline if they chose to. Hagg is young, cheap, a decent 3rd pairing D, and we all know Hakstol liked him.

I don't get the Braun pick. Only one yr left on his contract, average Dman. What could you get at TD? 5th maybe? Kracken will have more attractive options.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
We protected Filpulla and Manning. We literally had zero legit concerns heading into Vegas expansion.
Ok fine no one was worried or upset about the last ED. Still don't think it is likely that they take JVR when the other options may include Voracek, Ghost, Patrick, and NAK. Also pretty wild that people are worried about a 32 year old guy making $7 mil who was 3rd on the team in goals (who also had more than half on the PP which I thought was a mortal sin around here). This is the type of player that is normally the whipping boy around here! What's going on here??? Clearing $7 million in cap space for a one dimensional over 30 player used to be a dream come true.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ok fine no one was worried or upset about the last ED. Still don't think it is likely that they take JVR when the other options may include Voracek, Ghost, Patrick, and NAK. Also pretty wild that people are worried about a 32 year old guy making $7 mil who was 3rd on the team in goals (who also had more than half on the PP which I thought was a mortal sin around here). This is the type of player that is normally the whipping boy around here! What's going on here??? Clearing $7 million in cap space for a one dimensional over 30 player used to be a dream come true.

If JVR is exposed it means either Voracek or Patrick are protected.

Why would Seattle take NAK? Hes a dime-a-dozen.

JVR is good and has a solid contract. They also have to get to the cap floor.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If JVR is exposed it means either Voracek or Patrick are protected.

Why would Seattle take NAK? Hes a dime-a-dozen.

JVR is good and has a solid contract. They also have to get to the cap floor.
Yes, I know that's why I said the options "may include" and then listed the players that may be left unprotected. Idk why they would pick NAK, but I also don't know why a lot of teams make a lot of their decisions (like why Vegas took PEB or why the Flyers drafted JOB or German Rubstov and so forth and so on).

JVR is good. I like JVR. One of my all time favorites. But with the other names out there, specifically Voracek (also one of my all-time favorites), it would seem like he isn't going to be the top choice. If they're worried about the cap floor there is a better, younger, player for $1.25 million more. Seems like that would be the better plan. Or do you think they have a secret plan internally to pay a 33-34 year old $7 million in his last year but $8.25 million is too much?

Last edited:
Reactions: BrindamoursNose

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Ok, so he was the worst, he was the extreme over the top so called Christian who was an ex junkie and then got overly obsessed with Jesus, and talked down to literally everyone including his wife, just trust me, he was a joke of a man and nobody was sad to see him go, I just wish I could have watched the lights go out in his eyes lol

Bruh, this got dark

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's a part of me that wants to get real wacky. Offer to leave JvR exposed and trade Jake to Seattle in exchange for them taking and sending us Dumba, then throw cash at Landeskog and Danault.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I don't get the Braun pick. Only one yr left on his contract, average Dman. What could you get at TD? 5th maybe? Kracken will have more attractive options.
Seriously, are you new to following the NHL. Playoff teams are always desperate to add depth on defense for the playoffs. Braun is still a good third pairing D who has a lot to offer in terms of veteran leadership and playoff experience. Worse players regularly go for 3rd round picks at the deadline for defense needy teams.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Seriously, are you new to following the NHL. Playoff teams are always desperate to add depth on defense for the playoffs. Braun is still a good third pairing D who has a lot to offer in terms of veteran leadership and playoff experience. Worse players regularly go for 3rd round picks at the deadline for defense needy teams.

I dont get what youre saying. Pls explain more thx.

GoFightWin16

Jun 8, 2020

You're way overvaluing Braun. While experienced Dmen are in demand at TD for playoff run, Braun will fetch a 5th rd pick, maybe a 4th rounder in 2032. Check the list of trades made at '21 TD. Brayden Coburn went for a 7th e.g., but I can't wait for the Flyers to trade Braun for a 1st rd pick in 2022!

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
You're way overvaluing Braun. While experienced Dmen are in demand at TD for playoff run, Braun will fetch a 5th rd pick, maybe a 4th rounder in 2032. Check the list of trades made at '21 TD. Brayden Coburn went for a 7th e.g., but I can't wait for the Flyers to trade Braun for a 1st rd pick in 2022!
First of all, Coburn's been cooked for years and was acquired to be a 7th or 8th D for the Islanders. Second, nice strawman with the first round pick comment. If Braun plays anywhere near the level he did last season and is traded at the deadline he easily goes for a 3rd or 4th.

GoFightWin16

Jun 8, 2020
First of all, Coburn's been cooked for years and was acquired to be a 7th or 8th D for the Islanders. Second, nice strawman with the first round pick comment. If Braun plays anywhere near the level he did last season and is traded at the deadline he easily goes for a 3rd or 4th.

I was wrong to attribute the "1st Rd pick for Braun" comment to you. It was Everlong(2nd) and LorneMalvo(1st) that stated that in another thread, sandwiched by a comment from you. My mistake.

Seattle will have much better options from other teams. We disagree on Braun's value. I say a 5th, maybeee a 4th since he is a RD and has been durable. The '20 TD deals do not favor a higher pick.

I think Seattle will go with younger, controllable players, and will try to acquire 2023 1st rd picks with the three superstars coming out.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I was wrong to attribute the "1st Rd pick for Braun" comment to you. It was Everlong(2nd) and LorneMalvo(1st) that stated that in another thread, sandwiched by a comment from you. My mistake.

Seattle will have much better options from other teams. We disagree on Braun's value. I say a 5th, maybeee a 4th since he is a RD and has been durable. The '20 TD deals do not favor a higher pick.

I think Seattle will go with younger, controllable players, and will try to acquire 2023 1st rd picks with the three superstars coming out.
Fair enough man.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
You know they are at least leaning Hagg now. Maybe make a 5th for them to take Hagg over others. If Ghost is taken it’s going to be a big loss. He’s going to be good next year.

Why in the world did we give Hayes a NMC? He got term, money, protection. He has one of the best contracts in the league from a players POV.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Seattle gets 30 picks - some will be for immediate impact, some longer term. Some will be keepers, some trade bait. Some sure things, some lottery tickets. This should be fairly obvious.

Patrick is the definition of a lottery ticket. If he is exposed Seattle would be foolish not to take the chance. Low salary, high potential for long term value. Flyers should not expose him for that precise reason.
Jake and JVR are both "now" players - 2 and 1 season remaining, but could be good offensive talent to leverage as the team comes together in the first couple of years. And both can fetch assets at the TDL. Also "names" that can be used to sell the franchise in season 1.
Ghost is the same, just a little cheaper. With one season to go he could be a good placeholder depending on who else they pick up, and could be a TDL move for assets.
Laughton is the only longer term player. Versatile, young enough and on a 5 year contract.
NAK and Hagg are bottom end guys Little upside, known quantities. You can get guys like this on the UFA pile after the draft. Foolish choices IMO.

So to me it comes down to Ghost/JVR/Jake (assuming NP and Laughton both protected). And if I'm betting, it's gonna be Ghost over Jake, JVR over Ghost and Jake. Then again, I'm not a new GM who chose Dave Hakstol as a signature personnel move.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Seattle gets 30 picks - some will be for immediate impact, some longer term. Some will be keepers, some trade bait. Some sure things, some lottery tickets. This should be fairly obvious.

Patrick is the definition of a lottery ticket. If he is exposed Seattle would be foolish not to take the chance. Low salary, high potential for long term value. Flyers should not expose him for that precise reason.
Jake and JVR are both "now" players - 2 and 1 season remaining, but could be good offensive talent to leverage as the team comes together in the first couple of years. And both can fetch assets at the TDL. Also "names" that can be used to sell the franchise in season 1.
Ghost is the same, just a little cheaper. With one season to go he could be a good placeholder depending on who else they pick up, and could be a TDL move for assets.
Laughton is the only longer term player. Versatile, young enough and on a 5 year contract.
NAK and Hagg are bottom end guys Little upside, known quantities. You can get guys like this on the UFA pile after the draft. Foolish choices IMO.

So to me it comes down to Ghost/JVR/Jake (assuming NP and Laughton both protected). And if I'm betting, it's gonna be Ghost over Jake, JVR over Ghost and Jake. Then again, I'm not a new GM who chose Dave Hakstol as a signature personnel move.
That’s how I see it as well vs NAK who would be great pick up and could have a Vegas like relative boom. I’d rather Seattle take Jake since he has the larger salary that is not worth his production. Any trade is unlikely to pay 1:1 on his production. Not that Jake has negative worth, but to convince them to take him over JVR may cost something. Probably just worth doing nothing at all after submitting the list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad