News Article: Expansion Draft: Protection list, who Seattle might take

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Seattle would be more likely to take Laughton than JVR if both were available. Preserving their cap space so they can take advantage of teams in cap hell is key.

Laughton going to Seattle, getting a regular top 6 and PP role and scoring 40-50 points would be no more surprising than what happened with Vegas last time.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Seattle would be more likely to take Laughton than JVR if both were available. Preserving their cap space so they can take advantage of teams in cap hell is key.

Here's the thing, Laughton was a UFA.

Why couldn't we just come to an agreement and sign it after the Expansion Draft? Seattle cannot select UFA's, they can only negotiate with them. That's likely what Colorado is doing with Landeskog.

They were really so afraid of other teams blowing Laughton away with an offer and having him go back on the handshake agreement? If that's the case then so be it and you go out and sign Jaden Schwartz or some other versatile middle 6 forward.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
FLetcher is not going to expose Laughton, not only has he implied that he promised protection, after watching the playoffs, Laughton is the kind of player who'd be snatched, a fast forward with good size who's a fierce forechecker, first pair PK and score 30+ a year at ES. Those are the guys who excelled in the playoffs. And the kind of forward the Flyers need more of to make playoff noise.

All sports are about what can you do for me tomorrow, not what did you do for me yesterday.

Voracek and JVR are 32 this coming season, they're a lot closer to the "cliff" than their peak. Which is why the Flyers will expose them and why Seattle probably won't take them. JVR will be more attractive with 2yrs left, but that $7M hit will be painful, and they'd have to wonder how motivated JVR would be to play for an expansion team (they're not going to pull a Vegas, GMs are more wary this time around).

Ghost is more likely, he's got a defined role as PP1 QB and 4th/5th D-man with sheltered minutes. Given that most of the exposed D-men will probably be veterans with limited offensive skills, he may be easy to fit. Playing for a new contract in two years, he'll be motivated.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Here's the thing, Laughton was a UFA.

Why couldn't we just come to an agreement and sign it after the Expansion Draft? Seattle cannot select UFA's, they can only negotiate with them. That's likely what Colorado is doing with Landeskog.

They were really so afraid of other teams blowing Laughton away with an offer and having him go back on the handshake agreement? If that's the case then so be it and you go out and sign Jaden Schwartz or some other versatile middle 6 forward.

I was in favor of doing that, and trying to get a 1st for Laughton at the deadline.

But it’s a moo point now.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They'll expose Voracek over JVR, because it's unlikely Seattle would take him at 32 with 3 years at $8.25M.

Reactions: GoFightWin16

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
i can definitely see hak wanting hagg or laughton
Jake would be a poor selection due to age, declining play and salary. Laughts and JVR are probably going to be protected. Hakstol and Ghost’s problems have been well documented. Doubtful that he’d be taken unless it’s a pick and trade situation. That leaves NAK and Hagg. Hagg would be the Smart Selection.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Jake would be a poor selection due to age, declining play and salary. Laughts and JVR are probably going to be protected. Hakstol and Ghost’s problems have been well documented. Doubtful that he’d be taken unless it’s a pick and trade situation. That leaves NAK and Hagg. Hagg would be the Smart Selection.

Only way JVR is protected is if they expose or trade Patrick. Then they still have to choose him over Jake, which I think they would.

1. Giroux (NMC)
  2. Hayes (NMC)
  3. Couturier
  4. Konecny
  5. Laughton
  6. Lindblom
  7. Patrick / JVR / Voracek

Reactions: flyerslducks

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He may make a case but it's not his decision to make, fortunately.
Seattle is not taking Hagg, my bros.

I hear your unspoken hope that the Flyers don't contribute any further to making your first season morose by handing Hak Hogg, but I am afraid that this would be a good time for you to gird your loins and prepare for the absolute worst in general. May God have mercy on your dreams.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
It seems really dumb to expose one or both of JVR and Voracek when you can trade them instead. If you look around the league, several teams could protect another forward without losing someone value, so I'm sure there's a market.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I hear your unspoken hope that the Flyers don't contribute any further to making your first season morose by handing Hak Hogg, but I am afraid that this would be a good time for you to gird your loins and prepare for the absolute worst in general. May God have mercy on your dreams.

Don't I know it. :laugh:
Wonder what Manning has been up to...

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It seems really dumb to expose one or both of JVR and Voracek when you can trade them instead. If you look around the league, several teams could protect another forward without losing someone value, so I'm sure there's a market.

That's something that sounds good when the cap isn't flat, and they could still do that, but I still challenge them to take the money.

Also, they're not exposing Patrick. If they're trading him, they'll do it before the expansion draft and then make a decision. With Vegas not winning, and completely exempt from expansion, I think he's appealing to them.

GoFightWin16

Jun 8, 2020
My guess - Ghost, NAK, or Hagg, in that order. Why is Laughton being mentioned? He just signed a new contract, reasonable money. If they were going to expose him, they would have traded him at TD.

GoFightWin16

Jun 8, 2020

I don't think there is a trade mkt for Voracek. Flat cap year, declining results, and $8.25 for the next three years. Flyers would have to attach a high draft pick, or take back bad salary.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I don't think there is a trade mkt for Voracek. Flat cap year, declining results, and $8.25 for the next three years. Flyers would have to attach a high draft pick, or take back bad salary.
IF they want to add a decent RD, and sign a vet backup G who could start, and add a sniper, they need to lose some salary somehow. I don't think Seattle will help us for free. Something has to give, someone with a price tag has gotta go.

Reactions: GoFightWin16

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Is there a universe where Jeff Hakstok wouldn’t advocate for Robert Hagg?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The fact that we are going to protect Laughton over JVR is f***ing comical.
Isn't the idea that they aren't likely to take JVR but they very well may take Laughton. The list isn't "we think the guys we are protecting are better or more valuable than everyone we are exposing" but rather exposing guys you either want them to take or don't think they will take them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad