News Article: Expansion Draft: Protection list, who Seattle might take

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Isn't the idea that they aren't likely to take JVR but they very well may take Laughton. The list isn't "we think the guys we are protecting are better or more valuable than everyone we are exposing" but rather exposing guys you either want them to take or don't think they will take them.

But they ARE likely to take JVR. They'd be stupid not to.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A little cognitive dissonance around here, "they suck, they're not close to competing for a cup," so protect the 32 year old forwards and the D-man who'll be gone in 2 years in any case?

Of course, if you really think they're 3-5 years away, then trade G and Couts and as well as exposing the veterans.

Realistically, they're a playoff team next year with any decent goaltending, and a top 8 team with good goaltending and some kids stepping up. In two years, as young players grow up, they should be a legitimate contender.
Example, in 2022-23 the defense could be Provorov (26), Sanheim (26), Myers (26), York (21), Zamula (22), Hogberg (24), Hagg (27), Attard (23)
Forwards, G (35), Couts (30), TK (26), Farabee (22), Hayes (30), Allison (25), Lindblom (26), Frost (23), Laczynski (25), Laughton (28), Foerster (20), Wisdom (20), Patrick (24), JOB (23), Brink (22), N Cates (23), Ratcliffe (23)

So it's a balance between improving next season, and maintaining the cap room to keep the team together in year 2-5 and not bleeding young talent.

Reactions: sregdoor

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A little cognitive dissonance around here, "they suck, they're not close to competing for a cup," so protect the 32 year old forwards and the D-man who'll be gone in 2 years in any case?

Of course, if you really think they're 3-5 years away, then trade G and Couts and as well as exposing the veterans.

Realistically, they're a playoff team next year with any decent goaltending, and a top 8 team with good goaltending and some kids stepping up. In two years, as young players grow up, they should be a legitimate contender.
Example, in 2022-23 the defense could be Provorov (26), Sanheim (26), Myers (26), York (21), Zamula (22), Hogberg (24), Hagg (27), Attard (23)
Forwards, G (35), Couts (30), TK (26), Farabee (22), Hayes (30), Allison (25), Lindblom (26), Frost (23), Laczynski (25), Laughton (28), Foerster (20), Wisdom (20), Patrick (24), JOB (23), Brink (22), N Cates (23), Ratcliffe (23)

So it's a balance between improving next season, and maintaining the cap room to keep the team together in year 2-5 and not bleeding young talent.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You've literally been saying this every offseason since 2014.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
But they ARE likely to take JVR. They'd be stupid not to.
I don't think that's the case. Everyone was so worried about every player that may or may not have been exposed in the last draft and the Knights selected PEB, world famous for being the worst NHLer in the league according to HFB. I'd bet they take Voracek over JvR.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't think that's the case. Everyone was so worried about every player that may or may not have been exposed in the last draft and the Knights selected PEB, world famous for being the worst NHLer in the league according to HFB. I'd bet they take Voracek over JvR.

No one was worried about last expansion here. The best player we exposed was Raffl. They chose PEB and it worked out for them.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Who the Flyers will lose in this draft will remain a mystery until it happens. Seattle is going to be in an interesting place as they mix and match who they take in order to create their roster. We really have no knowledge as who the other teams are going to protect in this draft. We may end up being surprised to see which vets that can score but are on expensive deals get exposed as teams struggle to cut salary. Voracek and JVR aren’t going to be the only two such players in this category that are made available.

Reactions: Yukon Cornelius

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
No one was worried about last expansion here. The best player we exposed was Raffl. They chose PEB and it worked out for them.
There definitely were people worried about protection and selection. Maybe not you, specifically but that was a topic of conversation just like it is now. And no one anywhere thought PEB would be the selection. While I know the general sentiment around here is that all front offices have no idea what they are doing, I am confident that they have more intel and insight into what Seattle is doing. Sure, JVR could be the pick, just like PEB was the pick, but I don't think a) the Flyers are going into this blind or b) that it is as likely as you think they will take JVR. Voracek seems more likely, or Patrick if exposed. JVR I don't think is all that enticing at 32 with $7+ million for two years on an expansion team.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Nibl7qO.gif

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
As I’ve been saying all along, forget about all the talk of Seattle taking JVR, Ghost, or Voracek without being paid to do it. Maybe now people will see it. It will be Hagg or Braun barring a trade.

Have you not been paying attention? People are making fun of a club that hired Hakstol, it's not because they think the club is competent.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Some people were upset we protected Laughton over Raffl.

Dave Isaac wanted Philly to protect Brennan and Leier. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Some people were upset we protected Laughton over Raffl.
There were definitely people upset and worried. Certainly possible that JVR is the pick but I don't see it happening (nor would I really be upset if he was the pick). He's a good complimentary player and a goal scorer, but the guy is not part of the team's future. Of course you'd like to get something in return for him if he is not going to be here, but IDK if that is a possibility given his age and contract and one dimensional play. Could be a deadline deal to be had but not sure what the return would be. We're going to lose someone for nothing at the end of the day. We can't protect everyone and some choices are going to have to be made. You hope they take Braun or someone like that, but with potentially Voracek, Ghost, JVR, Patrick and/or NAK available, my money would be on Voracek or Ghost. JVR doesn't make a lot of sense for an expansion team.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
As I’ve been saying all along, forget about all the talk of Seattle taking JVR, Ghost, or Voracek without being paid to do it. Maybe now people will see it. It will be Hagg or Braun barring a trade.
I agree, but I do think Fletcher will send something their way to take a player with term and salary off of his hands. I think JVR will end up in Seattle.

As for NAK I don't get why so many people think they will take him, especially when they follow it up with something about maybe with a bigger role he could be a scorer. He isn't talented enough offensively to be a consistent middle six forward, even on an expansion team.

I'm with you in that if they go the cheap route it'd be Braun or Hagg. Braun gives them a solid veteran D who they could flip for a decent pick or two at the deadline if they chose to. Hagg is young, cheap, a decent 3rd pairing D, and we all know Hakstol liked him.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Seattle would be more likely to take Laughton than JVR if both were available. Preserving their cap space so they can take advantage of teams in cap hell is key.

Laughton going to Seattle, getting a regular top 6 and PP role and scoring 40-50 points would be no more surprising than what happened with Vegas last time.
Agreed. Some people seem to forget about the salary cap and how cap space in and of itself is an asset in this league.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If wonder if Seattle would take McDonagh. He's 32 with five years left at $6.75m. That's a really big ticket, and his point production fell off a cliff two years ago.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If wonder if Seattle would take McDonagh. He's 32 with five years left at $6.75m. That's a really big ticket, and his point production fell off a cliff two years ago.

No Tampa defender is playing more at ES+PK than McDonagh in these playoffs though. Tampa values him immensely; not sure it's a given he's left unprotected. But Cernak is a gimme pick, if they did protect McDonagh. I'd protect Cernak. Maybe it's all moot if Seattle bleeds Tampa dry to take Johnson. No 1st rounder this year, but they have a few sneaky good forwards available as sweeteners. Not sure just 1 does it. Hell, if I'm Seattle I might just decline and take Cernak anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad