PIT: G - Mark Andre Fleury
SJ: LD - Mirco Mueller
STL: RW - Nail Yakupov
TBL: LW - Alex Killorn
TOR: LW - Kerby Rychel
VAN: C - Brendan Gaunce
WSH: G - Philipp Grubauer
WPG: C - Adam Lowry

There's tons of teams that've interest in Sami Vatanen, No way is he going to be exposed.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Hey guys, what date is it the lists of unprotected players come out? When is the expansion draft to take place?

I believe that all 30 teams have to submit their protected list no later then 5 PM on Saturday the 17th and then 10 AM on the 18th they're suppose to announce who is protected and unprotected i believe that McPhee has from the 18th-21st to get his 30 man team one player from each team if i'm not mistaken.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Why would LV pick up 7 goalies on 1 way deal?
If they are picking MAF and Grubauer then at most they will pick 2 more goalies not 5.

Also, between ANA, ARI, MIN, CHI and FLA they will have their RD shored up.

Instead of 3 extra goalies it would be smarter to get LDs or forwards.

I was just picking players that I thought would have the highest potential or trade value.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
With all of the young talent available in Minnesota, we won't take Staal.

LV selecting Staal not that farfetched of a possibility.

Unless I am missing something, the only other forward of consequence they'll have exposed will be Hanzal who'll be a UFA. On defense there's Scandella since they'll be expected to trade one of Brodin or Dumba to leverage against the draft.

If this season by Staal wasn't an anomaly, I would consider taking him even over Scandella since the value of a center who can contribute on the 1st line will be much greater than the value of a defender to LV considering what else is exposed. I haven't watched a ton of either player over the last few years so I am mainly speaking in generalizations, so if someone has watched a lot of Staal and has a reason why he might not be a good pick I'd be willing to listen.

Regarding that list the above poster predicted, I'll be absolutely shocked if Marc Methot is able to be taken. The Sens are going to make a side deal I think because that is what is in the best interest of both teams. The reason it is in the best interest of both teams is because if Vegas isn't willing to make a side deal, the Senators are then forced to trade with a third party to leverage against the draft, and then both teams walk away with less than if Vegas would have just accepted an extra asset not to touch Methot.

Last edited:

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Getting in my guess before it happens.

ANA: RD - Sami Vatanen
ARI: RD - Luke Schenn
BOS: RD - Adam McQuaid
BUF: RW - Tyler Ennis
CGY: RW - Emile Poirier
GAR: RW - Lee Stempniak
CHI: RD - Trevor Van Riemsdyk
COL: G - Calvin Pickard
CBJ: G - Joonas Korpisalo
DAL: C - Cody Eakin
DET: C - Riley Sheahan
EDM: LD - Griffin Reinhart
FLA: RD - Alex Petrovic
LA: LD - Derek Forbort
MIN: C - Eric Staal
MTL: LD - Nathan Beaulieu
NSH: C - Calle Jarnkrok
NJ: G - Scott Wedgewood
NYI: C - Ryan Strome
NYR: G - Antti Raanta
OTT: LD - Marc Methot
PHI: G - Anthony Stolarz
PIT: G - Mark Andre Fleury
SJ: LD - Mirco Mueller
STL: RW - Nail Yakupov
TBL: LW - Alex Killorn
TOR: LW - Kerby Rychel
VAN: C - Brendan Gaunce
WSH: G - Philipp Grubauer
WPG: C - Adam Lowry

^if i'm the Oilers and are very close to winning a cup, i'm trying to get a few players from Vegas such as Jarnkrok, Strome, Raanta, Lowry, Vatanen or Petrovic. :nod: of course so will every other team....:rant:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
:laugh: Like Pittsburgh has four or five defensemen they want to protect.

Letang, Maatta, Schultz and Dumoulin all fill this category. It's a moot point though, I'm fairly certain what's going to happen is that Fleury is going to waive his NMC and Vegas will just take him with their pick.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I believe that all 30 teams have to submit their protected list no later then 5 PM on Saturday the 17th and then 10 AM on the 18th they're suppose to announce who is protected and unprotected i believe that McPhee has from the 18th-21st to get his 30 man team one player from each team if i'm not mistaken.

The thing that confuses me a little bit is that Vegas can't make trades before the expansion draft is done it seems like. That basically makes official bribing trades impossible for this expansion draft. You can still have agreed upon deals that just happen after the expansion draft, but you can't do legit trades before the draft.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
^i'm guessing it's of roster players because they don't actually have those players in hand yet because they haven't drafted them. can't trade what you don't yet have. but they can make deals in order to NOT take a player of another team's roster. as far as i know that can be done?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The thing that confuses me a little bit is that Vegas can't make trades before the expansion draft is done it seems like. That basically makes official bribing trades impossible for this expansion draft. You can still have agreed upon deals that just happen after the expansion draft, but you can't do legit trades before the draft.

I think that's just a paperwork thing to make sure the lists don't change during that time period. McPhee can likely get some picks and make some moves with other GMs, they just can't send everything into the central office until the period is over.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think that's just a paperwork thing to make sure the lists don't change during that time period. McPhee can likely get some picks and make some moves with other GMs, they just can't send everything into the central office until the period is over.

But the problem with that is with teams who are trying to trade players with NMCs to Vegas before the draft, that basically means they can't trade those guys to Vegas before the draft and have to protect them, unless they trade them elsewhere. The roster freeze is from June 17th until the morning of June 22nd, so that's when no one can trade, but I can't find anywhere that says Vegas can't trade before the roster freeze. That's why I'm a little confused here.

PuckProphet

Apr 28, 2017
the cap thing flips the strategy ....rather makes the strategy harder to implement ...every team wants young cheap players that produce .... no matter who the team is the cap is going to dictate somewhat ...Might be a good year for the bottom quarter of cap teams

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
There are 2 rules, the draft cap and the max of 30 drafted players. If there would be trades before the expansion draft we could easily circumvent these rules and it seems the NHL won't allow it. It seems McPhee didn't know this because he wanted to make trades in advance.

This means less bad contracts because of the draft cap which is good for us, don't need to do favors to other teams. If this is new to McPhee much will change, for example drafting Fleury with his 5.75M makes less sense. Thank God, I don't want Fleury ahahaha

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
There are 2 rules, the draft cap and the max of 30 drafted players. If there would be trades before the expansion draft we could easily circumvent these rules and it seems the NHL won't allow it. It seems McPhee didn't know this because he wanted to make trades in advance.

Do you have a link for this? I can't see why Vegas acquiring a pick and/or player in exchange for future 'sids prior to the expansion draft would be against the rules.

Edit: I think an earlier poster answered my question. If teams traded real players to Vegas prior to the draft then they could theoretically protect more players then they're allowed.

I get it now.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Do you have a link for this? I can't see why Vegas acquiring a pick and/or player in exchange for future 'sids prior to the expansion draft would be against the rules.

A link for what, these are 2 rules, 60-100% cap for 30 players and not 31.
Sure there can be trades, other teams can send picks to keep exposed players undrafted. But no player trades, otherwise a draft cap won't work if we trade for Howard and his 5.3M before the draft and then in the draft we take only a cheap contract.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

Edit: I think an earlier poster answered my question. If teams traded real players to Vegas prior to the draft then they could theoretically protect more players then they're allowed.

I get it now.

Think about it this way. The draft cap should be in place since March till July 22. All players we get from other teams in the draft or in trades before the draft should count against the cap. If we take more than 30 players we get to cap limit even faster.

Of course we could circumvent this with gentlemen agreements when we make the other part of the deals after the expansion draft, but it seems the NHL keeps their rules with cap and max 30 players till July 22.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Think about it this way. The draft cap should be in place since March till July 22. All players we get from other teams in the draft or in trades before the draft should count against the cap. If we take more than 30 players we get to cap limit even faster.

Of course we could circumvent this with gentlemen agreements when we make the other part of the deals after the expansion draft, but it seems the NHL keeps their rules with cap and max 30 players till July 22.

Yes and No. All players Vegas acquires count against the cap. However only players Vegas selects in the Expansion Draft itself count against the requirement that the 30 players Vegas selects must have an aggregate AAV of 60-100% of the 2016-17 salary cap. As a simple example: Shipachyov does not count towards that 60-100%.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
A link for what, these are 2 rules, 60-100% cap for 30 players and not 31.
Sure there can be trades, other teams can send picks to keep exposed players undrafted. But no player trades, otherwise a draft cap won't work if we trade for Howard and his 5.3M before the draft and then in the draft we take only a cheap contract.

I thought there was a new rule about players being acquired in trades prior to the draft. Sorry.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I thought there was a new rule about players being acquired in trades prior to the draft. Sorry.

No need to say sorry my friend. Sometimes it's hard to understand for us outsiders how these rules work and why they are even there when we still could circumvent them with gentlemen agreements. But fact is McPhee wanted to announce some trades and didn't do it and now we even hear nothing more about it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

It was published Vegas can't announce trades before the 21st. What's a little murky is whether they can't announce any trades at all before then, or they can't announce any trades before then that involve Expansion Draft selections by Vegas.

Then again how many trades would Vegas likely make before then that don't include some Expansion Draft selection component?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad