Expansion draft prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
In theory can't Vegas just pick TVR when Chicago leaves him available(by my understanding Chicago is fairly screwed who they can and can't protect and they can't protect TVR unless they leave open an even better player)? If they want Kruger after that then that is their choice

Except that Chicago will try to trade TVR if they don't have an agreement for Vegas to do this and then Vegas take Kruger (which is what they want for salary cap reasons) or some low value prospect or UFA. By agreeing to the trade Vegas get two valuable assets instead of 1.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Think there's any chance McPhee would accept the 69th overall pick in 2017 in exchange for agreeing to select Jamie McGinn from the Coyotes in the expansion draft? He's due 7m in actual cash over the next two seasons before he's UFA again. The Coyotes are extremely cash poor, and very, very rich in quality, cheap, young LWers. McGinn is very low on the LW depth chart, and is our most expensive winger under contact by a large margin. I'm sure we'd love to cut ties. But probably not so much so that we'd sacrifice the 35th overall pick. We are still rebuilding, afterall. The best I think we could do is 69th. Think that would be enough?

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
I think Hagelin is a candidate to be exposed by the pens.
Healthy scratch in the finals.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Think there's any chance McPhee would accept the 69th overall pick in 2017 in exchange for agreeing to select Jamie McGinn from the Coyotes in the expansion draft? He's due 7m in actual cash over the next two seasons before he's UFA again. The Coyotes are extremely cash poor, and very, very rich in quality, cheap, young LWers. McGinn is very low on the LW depth chart, and is our most expensive winger under contact by a large margin. I'm sure we'd love to cut ties. But probably not so much so that we'd sacrifice the 35th overall pick. We are still rebuilding, afterall. The best I think we could do is 69th. Think that would be enough?
A few considerations:
  • His salary means squat. $3.3 million to an expansion club is nothing. They aren't going to be in a cap-ceiling squeeze (though I suspect the GM will have the owner's permission to go above average in salaries).
  • He averaged about 20 goals and 150 hits for two seasons with third line minutes (good numbers for a third liner) before last year taking a huge step backward in terms of production when he went to Arizona. The question here is: Did he deserve the reduced minutes and is to blame for reduced production? Or, will McPhee's staff see him as an underperforming asset who at age 28 could return to impact NHL third line numbers and hence be a top-9 player on the expansion club?
  • The other equally important question is: Who else would McPhee covet on the Coyotes?
  • How eager is Arizona to move McGinn? If he goes for merely a 69th overall pick then either Arizona has little talent exposed for the expansion draft or else Vegas is big on the bounce-back potential of McGinn.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We aren't going to expose anything of value at all. I mean, we have open protection slots for the likes of Luke Schenn and Brad Richardsonfoe gods sakes. Our only decent players are very, very young. There's no chance we lose anything of consequence via expansion. The idea of dumping McGinn is purely budgetary. I want to spend those precious dollars on a center or a defenseman. Not on a bottom six LW. We have soooo many of those already. Haha. The most I'd be willing to pay is the 69th overall. Otherwise, I'd just buy him out. Or maybe offer to retain 50% and trade him to Chicago for Kruger or Minnesota for Huala, so they can buy him out at 50%. Then they have to eat only 550k per year for 4yrs.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/...s-net-1.767073

13 minutes in.

"Based on what I have been told I think Vegas made a deal yesterday with a pretty significant big name player involved but I think the team giving up the big name player is going to have to give up a pretty significant draft pick (not for this draft for a future draft)."

"Based on the player that I know should be going there....I think the roster's going to be better than people think....I think they are going to have some name brand recognition"

Doesn't sound like a pure cap albatross type....the description fits Ryan pretty well. Maybe a coincidence but it was on Ottawa radio.

Sounds like Vegas has got themselves a good player via trade according to Pierre McGuire.

Putting together all the clues of who it might be, I'd guess either Parise from MIN or Ryan from OTT. Parise makes a lot of sense because MIN doesn't have their 1st this draft while McGuire stated the pick will be in a future draft, while MIN is looking very tight cap wise and also are one of the teams vulnerable at defense through the expansion draft.

Ottawa for similar reasons (although replace cap with salary assuming they are still a budget team), they probably don't want to have their top 4D dismantled, although I'm not entirely sure they'd want to cut bait on Ryan if they are going to still be a budget team going forward they are going to need to eventually trade someone to make room. Owner Eugene Melnyk confirmed at the end of the 15-16 season that they had a 68M player salary budget, and that amount is roughly what their spending seemed to hover around all year on capfriendly so I'd be inclined to believe if there are no changes they might be set to spend around that much. Right now, they are at 66M with 20 players on their roster but still have to sign Pageau and a few decent vet bottom 6ers. Things might get tight.

The timing is also very interesting because Pierre McGuire said Vegas made the deal "yesterday" and at the start of the week Dorion was straight forward about needing to talk to Vegas about a possible side deal. So it sort of lines up that it might be Ottawa.

frogman210

https://puck-planet.com/
Feb 10, 2009
USA
If the Avalanche honestly do protect Semyon Varlamov (oh man..) and Calivin Pickard is available I would be very much surprised if the Knights do not take him. I think that he would be an excellent young goalie to give a shot with the new team. He showed what he can do with team Canada in the Wrolds as well as what he can do with ta team that actually plays defense in front of him. He has shown flashes of absolute brilliance in denver and he has had times of iffy play as have the whole team the last couple of years. I really am hoping as an Avalanche fan that the avs hold onto pickard and i think that letting him go is and will be a mistake that they look back at and regret.. At the same time thought I would be pretty excited to see him have a shot to compete for a job with the Vegas Knights and really get a fresh start and a fresh look at how good he is and if he is really ready to take that next step to being a full time #1 or not at the NHL level.

frogman210

Feb 10, 2009
USA
Parise is a Minnesota native. I doubt he's going to waive his NMC to leave his hometown.

unless he waives it and they trade him he isnt going anywhere either as anyone with his age and NMV will have to be protected automatically by the expansion rules as far as i understand it.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Canes fan here. I was wondering who y'all thought your team might take from the Canes at the expansion draft? I expect that Staal, Lindholm, Teravainen, Rask, Skinner, Faulk, and Darling are locks to be protected, while Aho, Slavin, Pesce and Hanifin are all exempt. Currently, our required exposed players would be Stempniak, Nordstrom, Dahlback and Ward or Lack. We could protect two more forwards, so probably the RFAs McGinn and Phil Di Gueseppi will take those spots, but I wouldn't be surprised if they get signed and one or both of Stempniak and Nordstrom get protected instead. Who would you want and also what sort of pick would you require to take one of Ward or Lack instead?

Thanks for the feedback and good luck next year!

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Canes fan here. I was wondering who y'all thought your team might take from the Canes at the expansion draft? I expect that Staal, Lindholm, Teravainen, Rask, Skinner, Faulk, and Darling are locks to be protected, while Aho, Slavin, Pesce and Hanifin are all exempt. Currently, our required exposed players would be Stempniak, Nordstrom, Dahlback and Ward or Lack. We could protect two more forwards, so probably the RFAs McGinn and Phil Di Gueseppi will take those spots, but I wouldn't be surprised if they get signed and one or both of Stempniak and Nordstrom get protected instead. Who would you want and also what sort of pick would you require to take one of Ward or Lack instead?

Thanks for the feedback and good luck next year!

Stempniak would be my choice. Good vet middle 6 winger that can be flipped at the deadline for a 3rd.

frogman210

Feb 10, 2009
USA
Stempniak would be my choice. Good vet middle 6 winger that can be flipped at the deadline for a 3rd.

that is actually a pretty well thought out answer. I think i like that, let him play and bring some leadership and help out some of the young kids for a half a season or so and if the situation is right you like you said flip him to a contender for a 3rd or so or maybe a decent prospect you like and that is that. good win-win for both sides.

Who do you think that the Knights might be interested in from the Avalanche? (assuming that pickard isnt in the mix i am curious who aside from him the other Vegas fans out here would be interested in from the avs assumed unprotected list? )

I am thinking if you dont take pickard here if your vegas then someone like matt nieto possibly would be on interest if he is left unprotected as he is an excelent pk guy hes fast and pesky and could be a solid 3rd line guy maybe and a pk guy ?

Not really sure who else though other then that.. does anyone else in particular stand out to other vegas fans as someone that the Knights would really like and actually hold some value to them from the avs? I know that with the situation there the pickings are a bit slim but still curious what you guys think. thanks!

frogman210

Feb 10, 2009
USA
Parise is a Minnesota native. I doubt he's going to waive his NMC to leave his hometown.

Shoot my apologies, i miss read the posts before. So you were talking about the rumor that maybe he was traded type of thing. Sorry about that, meant no disrespect or anything to my previous post. I agree with you as well then on this now that I understand better. that he isnt going to waive his NMC is my opinion either to go to Vegas, though that would be a fun sell for a new expansion team to have a guy like that to bring people to the rink and stuff.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
that is actually a pretty well thought out answer. I think i like that, let him play and bring some leadership and help out some of the young kids for a half a season or so and if the situation is right you like you said flip him to a contender for a 3rd or so or maybe a decent prospect you like and that is that. good win-win for both sides.

Who do you think that the Knights might be interested in from the Avalanche? (assuming that pickard isnt in the mix i am curious who aside from him the other Vegas fans out here would be interested in from the avs assumed unprotected list? )

I am thinking if you dont take pickard here if your vegas then someone like matt nieto possibly would be on interest if he is left unprotected as he is an excelent pk guy hes fast and pesky and could be a solid 3rd line guy maybe and a pk guy ?

Not really sure who else though other then that.. does anyone else in particular stand out to other vegas fans as someone that the Knights would really like and actually hold some value to them from the avs? I know that with the situation there the pickings are a bit slim but still curious what you guys think. thanks!

Pickard would be the easy choice if he's available I think. Then he can either back up Fleury or be moved if Vegas lines up a backup they like more. If he's not there and the Avs go 4-4 probably whoever is left of Andrighetto/Nieto. Maybe Colborne with the hope he bounces back to his Flames level of play.

frogman210

Feb 10, 2009
USA
Pickard would be the easy choice if he's available I think. Then he can either back up Fleury or be moved if Vegas lines up a backup they like more. If he's not there and the Avs go 4-4 probably whoever is left of Andrighetto/Nieto. Maybe Colborne with the hope he bounces back to his Flames level of play.

Cool, thanks for the thoughts. yeah, i am pretty sure unfortunatly that he will be avalible unless of course the avs are protecting varly with a trade in place for them not to take pickard, who knows.. its going to be really interesting to sort through everything that goes down when we start being told what is going on and what deals have been made etc.

I can not see the avs in any situation exposing sven as hes now legit on their radar as far as the team is concerned as a top 6 potentiallt top line wing for the next seaosn and onward. so i am pretty sure neito will be exposed though due to sven being so much better for them and the avs sstance on sven being quickly so high. I think if pickard is there he is claimed but if not that is where I wasnt sure. Colborn is interesting too in some ways. I fhe owuld use his frame and size more physcially speaking he would be an absolut beast in the NHL. He did use his size and frame well in gaem 1 for the avs and he had a hat trick 2 goals in front of the net battleing hard and another from a shot if i recall right? anywyas then he went like 68 games between goals.. I think that if he could get his mind right and decide hes just going to use his physical size and frame more or better he could be a really solid guy. He is young too so maybe he is just in the process of attempting to learn it? who knows.. its been a very sore subjecyt for fans of the avs this last season. but i agree he could possibly be intruiging f due o to his production with the flames and then that same big size and potential that some see but he just hasnt been abotu to consitetnyl hit. thanks for the thoguths they are solid for sure!

PuckProphet

Apr 28, 2017
Vegas gets Kruger They get a workhorse that never gives up ...They get a guy that sacrifices for the team win ... they get a guy that will pin the puck against the boards in the offensive zone until someone knocks him off it on a PK ... Despite the quiet well mannered demeanor Dude has true grit

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/...s-net-1.767073

13 minutes in.

"Based on what I have been told I think Vegas made a deal yesterday with a pretty significant big name player involved but I think the team giving up the big name player is going to have to give up a pretty significant draft pick (not for this draft for a future draft)."

"Based on the player that I know should be going there....I think the roster's going to be better than people think....I think they are going to have some name brand recognition"

Doesn't sound like a pure cap albatross type....the description fits Ryan pretty well. Maybe a coincidence but it was on Ottawa radio.

Sounds like Vegas has got themselves a good player via trade according to Pierre McGuire.

Putting together all the clues of who it might be, I'd guess either Parise from MIN or Ryan from OTT. Parise makes a lot of sense because MIN doesn't have their 1st this draft while McGuire stated the pick will be in a future draft, while MIN is looking very tight cap wise and also are one of the teams vulnerable at defense through the expansion draft.

Ottawa for similar reasons (although replace cap with salary assuming they are still a budget team), they probably don't want to have their top 4D dismantled, although I'm not entirely sure they'd want to cut bait on Ryan if they are going to still be a budget team going forward they are going to need to eventually trade someone to make room. Owner Eugene Melnyk confirmed at the end of the 15-16 season that they had a 68M player salary budget, and that amount is roughly what their spending seemed to hover around all year on capfriendly so I'd be inclined to believe if there are no changes they might be set to spend around that much. Right now, they are at 66M with 20 players on their roster but still have to sign Pageau and a few decent vet bottom 6ers. Things might get tight.

The timing is also very interesting because Pierre McGuire said Vegas made the deal "yesterday" and at the start of the week Dorion was straight forward about needing to talk to Vegas about a possible side deal. So it sort of lines up that it might be Ottawa.

Ottawa would not have to pay LV to take Ryan. Regardless of what some think, he's still a legit top 6 winger and that's going to be something that LV has a very hard time acquiring. Him being overpaid means nothing to them. By the time they're going to be ready to compete, they'd have to trade him anyway - which in today's world means retaining cap.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I think there's a decent chance Winnipeg will be dealing with Vegas. We'd love to be able to pick up a younger goalie. There's many good ones to choose from in this expansion draft. Either as a straight up deal (for example you guys pick Raanta, we send you a pick) or part of a larger deal that may involve the player you guys pick from us in the expansion draft.

Keep in mind we've got you guys snookered with Hutchinson and Stuart, but the forward position isn't so clear. It's obvious Matthias would be exposed, but we have no idea who the 2nd forward would be. That 2nd forward would likely be who you guys would want to pick from us.

frogman210

Feb 10, 2009
USA
I think there's a decent chance Winnipeg will be dealing with Vegas. We'd love to be able to pick up a younger goalie. There's many good ones to choose from in this expansion draft. Either as a straight up deal (for example you guys pick Raanta, we send you a pick) or part of a larger deal that may involve the player you guys pick from us in the expansion draft.

Keep in mind we've got you guys snookered with Hutchinson and Stuart, but the forward position isn't so clear. It's obvious Matthias would be exposed, but we have no idea who the 2nd forward would be. That 2nd forward would likely be who you guys would want to pick from us.

This is some of the stuff I am most excited personally to see how George McPhee and his staff handle. Those little moves and deals that can be worked out that will in the end turn out to be huge peices and added assets and value that the Knights will have to work with and around for the first couple of seasons of existence. Pretty cool to see how such a good hockey mind is going to play these things.

jrmysell

Feb 7, 2015
St. Kitts
I'm not sure Pickard is a must-get...I know because it's a young goalie that's in the league, therefore he's looked at as having upside or whatever...I'm not sure he amounts to anything to be honest...that doesn't mean don't take him, but I wouldn't necessarily be getting in the goalie business...I'd be in the defense business...

The problem is the Avs have no defense. And they'll probably protect 4 and 4 because they only have a couple forwards that need protected worth protecting. So you take Pickard over the 5th best D on the Avs that is eligible.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
This is some of the stuff I am most excited personally to see how George McPhee and his staff handle. Those little moves and deals that can be worked out that will in the end turn out to be huge peices and added assets and value that the Knights will have to work with and around for the first couple of seasons of existence. Pretty cool to see how such a good hockey mind is going to play these things.

Agreed, let's make a deal that benefits both teams!

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
A few considerations:
  • His salary means squat. $3.3 million to an expansion club is nothing. They aren't going to be in a cap-ceiling squeeze (though I suspect the GM will have the owner's permission to go above average in salaries).
  • He averaged about 20 goals and 150 hits for two seasons with third line minutes (good numbers for a third liner) before last year taking a huge step backward in terms of production when he went to Arizona. The question here is: Did he deserve the reduced minutes and is to blame for reduced production? Or, will McPhee's staff see him as an underperforming asset who at age 28 could return to impact NHL third line numbers and hence be a top-9 player on the expansion club?
  • The other equally important question is: Who else would McPhee covet on the Coyotes?
  • How eager is Arizona to move McGinn? If he goes for merely a 69th overall pick then either Arizona has little talent exposed for the expansion draft or else Vegas is big on the bounce-back potential of McGinn.

Agreed. And I'll add that what McPhee will not want is long years on a bad contract. Any salary dump that is of a short duration (3 years or less) won't be an issue provided McPhee is getting sufficient compensation to make it worth his while.

I am really excited to see how George handles this whole thing. I always felt he was underrated as a GM, and have to think the second time around he is really going to do well. Either way I have the feeling we're in good hands.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Ottawa would not have to pay LV to take Ryan. Regardless of what some think, he's still a legit top 6 winger and that's going to be something that LV has a very hard time acquiring. Him being overpaid means nothing to them. By the time they're going to be ready to compete, they'd have to trade him anyway - which in today's world means retaining cap.

The problem I see is many teams will probably give LV something of value to take "bad contracts" so by time they get 4-5 of those contracts they won't have any room for a big contract like Ryan's(this assume Ottawa hopes Ryan is picked)

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
Took a shot with TSN's new build-a-team tool

WxjhmZF.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad